• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

lexi

Banned
iOS Spotlight has always been terrible compared to it's MUCH better version in OSX. OSX spotlight can bring up options / settings, it would be really handy if iPhone spotlight could do the same thing.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
"Open in background" has been replaced with "Open in new window" in Safari and I fucking hate it. I hope to God that it's just a beta thing and they put it back by the time it goes public.

iOS6 safari does not have open in background. Maybe you are confusing it with another browser? One of my peeves about safari actually.

Majine

Banned
screen-shot-2013-06-11-at-9-38-02-pm.png

Fucking NO.

Is this Forstalls "One last thing"?

Dany

Banned
album art wasn't syncing and even if it was it would randomaly choose 5 covers and put them on every song I had. lol thats why I dropped back to ios6.

It was great, I can't wait to have the final version and hopefully they fix some of the weirder stuff with the UI.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So I was wondering how my phone knew I was heading towards work without me doing anything (a notice popped up on the lockscreen which gave me estimated travel time to <work location>).

Turns out there's this now, under Location Services:

Pretty nice. Looking at my location history, it's mapped out where my home and my work locations are.

Go into your Safari settings and change Open Links to "In Background" rather than "In New Page" then..

Oh my god, you are my hero. It's been so long since I first installed iOS 6 that I forgot you had to turn it on manually, I thought it was just always there. Thank you thank you thank you.

Xrenity

So I was wondering how my phone knew I was heading towards work without me doing anything (a notice popped up on the lockscreen which gave me estimated travel time to <work location>).

Turns out there's this now, under Location Services:

Pretty nice. Looking at my location history, it's mapped out where my home and my work locations are.
Oh wow, immediately turning that one off.

I know what my frequent locations are and don't need any traffic info on them.

numble

Yes, but it's giving me the definition in Japanese. I also can't seem to find a way close the dictionary.

Edit: This is what I'm seeing. I had to clear Safari out of multitasking to close it.
Thanks, I guess the dictionary feature is not up to speed. They showed that they had a Chinese-English dictionary added, and that was what I was looking for.

btkadams

Kind of upset over no quick reply feature for messaging... Why is it so difficult to make one? It's fucking 2013 already.

what do you mean by this? if you go into the autocorrect settings, you can make custom auto-corrects. i have it so that when i type "zzz" into a message, it auto-corrects it to "hey, what's up?"

Yes, but it's giving me the definition in Japanese. I also can't seem to find a way close the dictionary.

Edit: This is what I'm seeing. I had to clear Safari out of multitasking to close it.
Same. This will be awesome when it works, though! Providing it does translate.

Still pathetic that for iTunes Match users we have to exit the music and and enter the settings/music setting every damn time to toggle on/off show all music in the cloud

Seriously, no excuse for this oversight for this long

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
what do you mean by this? if you go into the autocorrect settings, you can make custom auto-corrects. i have it so that when i type "zzz" into a message, it auto-corrects it to "hey, what's up?"

He means being able to reply to a text without leaving the app you're currently in.

MickD

Trying to figure out iCloud Keychains. I have everything set up (on Mac 10.9 & iOS 7).. Do I simply add my passwords into the Password Tab in Safari? Or is there something else I need to do?

NYR

Trying to figure out iCloud Keychains. I have everything set up (on Mac 10.9 & iOS 7).. Do I simply add my passwords into the Password Tab in Safari? Or is there something else I need to do?

I lost all my save passwords on my iPhone with the update. I guess they wanted a fresh start? You have to turn on keychain via iCloud in settings.

NYR

By far the worst change is the Safari unified search bar. Not because it is unified, that makes sense, but because it is now a search and URL bar, the keyboard pop-up changed and it is AWFUL.

The fact the space bar is so small is terrible, consistantly hitting the ".com" button by mistake.

2.jpg

Liquid_015

Gold Member
By far the worst change is the Safari unified search bar. Not because it is unified, that makes sense, but because it is now a search and URL bar, the keyboard pop-up changed and it is AWFUL.

The fact the space bar is so small is terrible, consistantly hitting the ".com" button by mistake.

2.jpg

If you turn off "diction" or the "siri" option, the space bar will be longer.

Blackhead

Redarse

http://assets.ilounge.com/images/articles_ios7/safari/2.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[quote="NYR, post: 64077116"]But I actually use those features. :([/QUOTE]

Check if this tip still works in iOS 7:
[URL="http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/10/29/dictation-key-is-space-bar/"]Siri Dictation Key Actually Doubles as a Space Bar[/URL] [QUOTE=iDownloadBlog]the dictation key changes to the same color as the spacebar. Why? It’s because Apple wants to make sure that people are aware that the dictation key actually doubles as a spacebar extension. A double press of the Siri key on the keyboard inserts a space within text just like the spacebar does.[/QUOTE]

[U]More iOS 7 design commentary[/U]
On The Verge: [URL="http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/15/4431254/on-the-verge-khoi-vinh-apple-ios-7-the-guardian-nsa-prism"]Khoi Vinh talks iOS 7, The Guardian's Spencer Ackerman talks PRISM[/URL] | Khoi Vinh, Josh Topolslky
Subtraction.com: [URL="http://www.subtraction.com/2013/06/14/requiem-for-a-back-button"]Requiem for a Back Button[/URL] | Khoi Vinh
Wired: [URL="http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/06/the-future-of-design-is-more-than-making-apple-ios-flat/"]The Future of Design Is More Than Making Apple iOS Flat[/URL] | John Maeda

I'd take Madea more seriously if his analysis took into account that flat design started with Metro UI... I'm really disappointed with a lot of the commentary on iOS 7 so far; a lot of it seems mired in minutiae of iOS 6 skeumorphism versus iOS 7 flatness (or depth) instead of a proper acknowledgement that flatness is finally the new paradigm and critiquing the different approaches of Microsoft, Google, Blackberry and, now, Apple. I do agree with Madea on one thing though:
[QUOTE]What we need now is to move [U]beyond[/U] the superficial conversation about styles and incremental adjustments to boldly invent the next frontier of interface design.[/QUOTE]
Apple has brought flatness/metro/modern design to the mainstream and it's time for the design hipsters to move before they drown. What's [URL="http://worrydream.com/ABriefRantOnTheFutureOfInteractionDesign/"]next[/URL]?

It's been a really fun week for a tech enthusiastic. I'll be selling my iPhone 5 and checking back in the Fall.

MickD

I lost all my save passwords on my iPhone with the update. I guess they wanted a fresh start? You have to turn on keychain via iCloud in settings.

Hmm that stinks, I figured it out though. Just simply under the actual Keychain 10.9 app.

But it keeps adding the key under the login instead of iCloud.. Should I be doing this in Safari?

jts

...hate me...
Maybe the iPad's flashlight is simply a white screen with the brightness cranked up to the max. It is a powerful thing.

Or simply cue iPad 5 with LED flash.

Or both.

2.jpg

Agreed. I have literally hit the ".com" button every time I've typed a search. It's pissing me off big time.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Nice until somebody steals your phone and knows where you work, live and frequent.
I have worse things to worry about than a thief seeing a smattering of unnamed random locations around the city in which the device was stolen in if my phone was indeed stolen. Maybe I should've been clearer thanI was and said that the locations that are remembered aren't named anything.

Besides Apple does provide a ton of safety measures should your iOS device get stolen.

zychi

Banned
I installed the Mavericks Developers Version. Is there anyway to revert back? I stupidly forgot to make a backup before hand. Do I have to reformat and reinstall ML?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Broke and got me a new MBA. Just got the base model 11-inch since I'm just going to be using it as an "on the go" computer for light activity.

Actually thinking that this is going to replace my iPad now that iBooks is coming in Mavericks...we'll see.

It fits in my damn iPad bag which is crazy as balls. Only JUST fits, but it fits.

So far so good, my first Air.

The small screen size will take a little getting used to with a full OS experience, but hopefully it won't take me too long to get there.

Agreed. I have literally hit the ".com" button every time I've typed a search. It's pissing me off big time.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this changed by the second or third beta. It's happening to me a TON too. Make sure you file a bug. If it's not in the system, it doesn't get fixed.

lexi

Banned
Broke and got me a new MBA. Just got the base model 11-inch since I'm just going to be using it as an "on the go" computer for light activity.

Actually thinking that this is going to replace my iPad now that iBooks is coming in Mavericks...we'll see.

It fits in my damn iPad bag which is crazy as balls. Only JUST fits, but it fits.

So far so good, my first Air.

The small screen size will take a little getting used to with a full OS experience, but hopefully it won't take me too long to get there.

I've ordered a new air too, and have been thinking that it may as well be replacing my iPad.

I think PC + MBA + iPhone + iPad might be overkill.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Also, put me in the "hitting .com instead of space in the unified URL bar" group.

Training myself to be more centered in my taps when it comes to hitting space, but still hit the .com out of reflex way more than I'd like.

Can't really call it a "bug" though. Just a new cramped keyboard. Working as expected, just not a seamless transition.

I've ordered a new air too, and have been thinking that it may as well be replacing my iPad.

I think PC + MBA + iPhone + iPad might be overkill.
Yeah, this is literally me right now.

PC for gaming
MBA for mobile computing/home office work
iPhone for everything
iPad for...reading?

iPad does a lot of things I really like, but with having an iPhone 5, and having a 3DS XL...and now having a MBA... it just doesn't seem to be filling a void anywhere but books, and I don't read much.

Top Bottom