• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

DarkJC

No, just use Restore to install the beta. You don't need to restore to a non-jailbroken iOS 6 first.

Note that you'll be losing your jailbreak forever as even if you want to downgrade you'll only be able to downgrade to 6.1.3/6.1.4 unless you saved your SHSH blobs.

btkadams

i'm totally forgetting this from last year.

to uninstall ios 7, is it still the same way where you right-click restore in itunes and select an ios 6.1.4 update file?

numble

A warrant served to Apple will still not give up your iMessages:
http://www.apple.com/apples-commitment-to-customer-privacy/

For example, conversations which take place over iMessage and FaceTime are protected by end-to-end encryption so no one but the sender and receiver can see or read them. Apple cannot decrypt that data. Similarly, we do not store data related to customers’ location, Map searches or Siri requests in any identifiable form.

I'm still catching up on all the iOS7 news/features cuz of E3, but man Apple sure is going to confuse everyone by allowing more than 12 apps in a folder now.

DarkJC

i'm totally forgetting this from last year.

to uninstall ios 7, is it still the same way where you right-click restore in itunes and select an ios 6.1.4 update file?

The device must be in DFU mode for it to work, but yes, that's the method. Note that you don't even need a 6.1.4 update file, you could just click Restore normally and it will download 6.1.4 and install it.

But I'm not downgrading.

I have a jailbroken iPhone 5 on iOS 6.1 and I want to install iOS 7 b1 on it instead.

So all I do is restore it to iOS 6.1 (so that the jailbreak is removed) and install iOS 7 afterward?

That's what I get for not reading.

Yes, that should do it. It's probably safe updating from a jailbroken OS, but why risk it.

Watching some of the developer videos now. Some of the more developer-oriented features are pretty cool. Like who the heck else besides Apple would have thought to put something like
QuickLook in a debugger
? Also it was good to see that
AppleScript is not actually dead yet
and that Apple also has new stuff for
OS X Server, such as the Xcode Continuous Integration Bots.
Also seeing a scene from
a Pixar movie running in real-time in Mari on OS X on the new Mac Pro
was pretty cool.

another year another time to ask, can 3rd party browsers finally tap into the nitro goodness?

Apple did promise they will open some stuff up to the devs right?

btkadams

Yes. It's now a 3x3 grid to match the icon. And you scroll pages. I'm not sure I want to open a folde and scroll for miles again. I'll just have to rethink my organisation I guess.

whaaaat? that's so lame (well, it's good that there are folder pages, at least). and it's 3x3 no matter which phone you have? i have an iphone 5, so going from 16 to 9 is crazy.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
whaaaat? that's so lame (well, it's good that there are folder pages, at least). and it's 3x3 no matter which phone you have? i have an iphone 5, so going from 16 to 9 is crazy.
Yeah it's a little bit meh but you get used to it. I'm finding 18-27 apps a folder works out nice now. I wish it was a scroll bar instead of pages but eh, Apple.

No news on iPad yet. I'm guessing around Beta 2 time if we're lucky.

I can see them doing an August education event like they did in 2012. They can show iOS 7 and how it makes iBooks and textbooks better.

Most likely scenario: shown at iPhone 5S conference available at new iPads launch in October.

Most likely scenario: beta 2 or 3 will add support for iPad.

numble

http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/17/hidde...tested-gesture-folder-enhancements-for-ios-7/

ec62JEH.jpg

buuswXr.jpg

http://youtu.be/9DP7q9e3K68

mrkgoo

It's an option.
Yeah, I know.

I normally see apple as being more cutthroat regarding 'bad' options in that they normally don't have them.

Of course this is just a beta so they may be gathering feedback, or maybe this is the new apple flexing its new way of doing things.

jts

...hate me...
Yeah, I know.

I normally see apple as being more cutthroat regarding 'bad' options in that they normally don't have them.

Of course this is just a beta so they may be gathering feedback, or maybe this is the new apple flexing its new way of doing things.
True, and there has been many obscure betas with options that never made it. Like sideways multitasking and gestures on the iPhone (apparently Apple is still fiddling with those) years ago.

But I think that, if Apple is embracing pages in the folders, then folders in folders are a logical step (only ONE level though). Because each home screen folder becomes its own themed homescreen, if that makes sense. Games homescreen, etc. I think it would be cool and helpful for proper organization.

Only thing bothering me is the nine apps per page.

Blackhead

Redarse
But I think that, if Apple is embracing pages in the folders, then folders in folders are a logical step (only ONE level though).
One level is one too many. That Apple has resorted to pages in folders, and is now considering more folders in folders, should be reason enough to for Ive to scrap this whole 'homescreen with icons' design.

mrkgoo

One level is one too many. That Apple has resorted to pages in folders, and is now considering more folders in folders, should be reason enough to for Ive to scrap this whole 'homescreen with icons' design.

I agree. It would be illogical to allow one more level ONLY, because then people would ask why. I do think pages on a folder as being a little odd too, but I see JTS' point about each folder being a mini home. Maybe they needed to just do something different in a folder like just having it scroll.

Maybe eventually we'll see a non-icon-based home screen, but apple is typically baby-steps about such large adjustments.

I still enjoy the app-based home screen. The whole premise was that they were 'buttons' on a changing UI. That said, it made more sense in Steve Jobs 'stock' iPhone, the one that didn't run third-party apps. Now that it really is a whole platform, maybe it should evolve to be more of a mini computer. Like have something more akin to a lock screen be your 'home'. I.e android.

I mean, if they reckon it's time to no longer need the skeuomorphic cues to teach people to use iOS, then it could be time to move entirely from the whole 'app-buttons' too. But yeah, baby-steps.

LCfiner

these options aren't going to be public facing at all. they're interesting to see what Apple has implemented but it's silly to think they'll make any of this user facing. especially double nested folders or some of those animation variables.

SuperPac

Awesome. I can finally keep all my games together.

That's the first thing I did - put all my games in a folder. But I found that since it shows you 9 icons per page, if you have a lot of games you may be scrolling a lot to find a particular one (or using spotlight).

jts

...hate me...
btw, I love that App Slider icon. Haha!

Can't understand why Tigger is used for the lock screen options though.

mrkgoo

That's the first thing I did - put all my games in a folder. But I found that since it shows you 9 icons per page, if you have a lot of games you may be scrolling a lot to find a particular one (or using spotlight).
Yeah, they'll just allow you to either do it or not, not give an option.

I already put all my games on one page (3 pages total) and organise my games by genre. I find a little appropriate emoticon to label the folder with as we'll as name. For example 'Board games' and the emoji of a dice.

Maybe trying to get around that we're technically under NDA?
While I was under the impression that the NDA was only for people who had paid actual money for one of the developer programs and not just developers who had registered a developer account, I still figured I'd be safe anyways, just in case...

I was just fawning over the switches last night. They're really beautiful. The subtle drop shadow and that shade of green with the white look amazing.

Top Bottom