• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

I can't wait for Google to switch to Holo Light. While the dark theme is miles better than Gingerbread, it looks like it was just hit few times with the ugly stick, not abused with it, especially in comparison with Windows Phone and iOS 7.

LCfiner

Here's a good site that compares the different UI elements on iOS 7, iOS 6 and Android 4.x.

datepickerfbkoc.jpg

This is a fairly repeated opinion but, man, iOS 6 just feels more obvious and friendly than iOS 7. it might be a bit dated in looks but UI elements look much more clear and obvious.

I get concerned seeing iOS 7 buttons that are black text, come that are colored text. some are in button outlines, most are not.

I like the lightness and feeling of space with iOS 7 but I really think some UI elements need to be much more obvious and consistent.

GWX

Looks good so far.

Yup. I wonder how multitasking looks, though. It doesn't need to be fullscreen, and there should be a quicker gesture for it (four fingers up is horrible). In my mind, pinching with 4 or 5 fingers should work quite well: closing your hand to access the home screen (like it is right now), opening it to access the multitasking screen.

edit: Also, Apple, please let us change the density of icons in the home screen (similar to icon view in Finder). No more wasted space, please!

Finally got around to installing and using iOS 7. So far I really like it, most things have already been talked about but one thing I really liked was searching my mail seems so much faster. Usually it freezes for a few seconds on every letter I type, probably because of the gigantic amount of work emails I have, but now it's actually usable.

Edit: I just turned off my phone for the first time, the "Slide to turn off" looks kind of strange to me.

numble

Yup. I wonder how multitasking looks, though. It doesn't need to be fullscreen, and there should be a quicker gesture for it (four fingers up is horrible). In my mind, pinching with 4 or 5 fingers should work quite well: closing your hand to access the home screen (like it is right now), opening it to access the multitasking screen.

edit: Also, Apple, please let us change the density of icons in the home screen (similar to icon view in Finder). No more wasted space, please!
An open gesture sounds horrible. I don't even know why you think that is easier than 4 fingers up.

1. Pinch hand
2. Place hand on screen
3. Unpinch hand

1. Place had on screen
2. Slide hand up

GWX

An open gesture sounds horrible. I don't even know why you think that is easier than 4 fingers up.

1. Pinch hand
2. Place hand on screen
3. Unpinch hand

1. Place had on screen
2. Slide hand up

Pinching works great both on iOS, for accessing the home screen, and on OS X, for accessing the launchpad or showing the desktop. The "four-fingers up gesture", on the other hand, always feel awkward to me, and it doesn't always register.

edit: thinking about it, the best solution would probably involve the bezels, Windows 8 style.

Sullichin

After using it since release my opinion of iOS7 has only gotten worse. It crashes constantly and there's lots of weird text rendering bugs, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on those because it's very early. But it's just so ugly in so many areas. The .com hybrid keyboard in safari is the worst. It's more sluggish and definitely drains my battery faster. There's not really anything about it that says to me, this is better than before. Again I'm sure a lot will change before release but I'm just surprised at how kinda crappy it is.

Playing a song and being able to see the playlist as well as the album is nice. Not being able to download a whole album/playlist at once isn't.

This is a fairly repeated opinion but, man, iOS 6 just feels more obvious and friendly than iOS 7. it might be a bit dated in looks but UI elements look much more clear and obvious.

I get concerned seeing iOS 7 buttons that are black text, come that are colored text. some are in button outlines, most are not.

I like the lightness and feeling of space with iOS 7 but I really think some UI elements need to be much more obvious and consistent.

you must put your faith in the one called Ive, he will bring balance to the UI.

ramyeon

After using it since release my opinion of iOS7 has only gotten worse. It crashes constantly and there's lots of weird text rendering bugs, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on those because it's very early. But it's just so ugly in so many areas. The .com hybrid keyboard in safari is the worst. It's more sluggish and definitely drains my battery faster. There's not really anything about it that says to me, this is better than before. Again I'm sure a lot will change before release but I'm just surprised at how kinda crappy it is.
Interesting because I've had very few issues with the beta and have even seen a significant increase in my battery life.

cbox

Someone tell me the arrows that appear when you bring up the new all in one menu are placeholder, because they're so chunky and out of place.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member

Yep. Especially the back button

But also things like the text fields in address book. There is no indication those would be area you could fill something out. You shouldn't have to touch something to know it's a button or field

Edit: I guess if it follows the current UI then you would have to select edit first, and it is possible those fields look different once the edit option is enabled.

Sullichin

Interesting because I've had very few issues with the beta and have even seen a significant increase in my battery life.

These are some of the bugs I've been having, none of which are really a big deal (on iPhone 5)

- When sending a text message, "sending.." appears in the title pane, but doesn't disappear after sending, resulting in garbled text.
- The time is invisible (white text) when I use a panoramic picture with a light background on my lock screen. On a non panoramic background it seems to be able to calculate the right color to use for text better.
- When taking a video, sometimes it will be actually be recording but I can't see it, my screen is frozen on my last video/picture.
- The above seems to happen more when I take a video for a message. This also tends to crash the messages app.
- Sometimes I'll accidentally bring up the control center (or it just appears, I'm not sure), and it gets stuck on my screen, and sometimes it doesn't expand fully.
- On the phone app, in the contacts screen, the title pane is pushed down a few pixels and the pane with my contacts starts all the way at the top of the screen, behind the status bar. I've had similar issues with other apps, the problem goes away after quitting and restarting it.
- My phone has crashed, and restarted itself a few times

8byte

Banned
If you can't deal with the beta experience, don't install a beta product. This isn't meant for consumer release or a "preview build".

LCfiner

Apple needs to stop calling these betas, since most people are conditioned by other companies to think betas are A-OK for general use, and call them something scarier to discourage non-devs from installing them

Apple needs to stop calling these betas, since most people are conditioned by other companies to think betas are A-OK for general use, and call them something scarier to discourage non-devs from installing them

Having to pay for a developer account isn't enough?

DarkJC

People seem to have the impression that it's an artificial barrier and that the software is okay to use, rather than one for their own good.

It's not like developers really use this on their main phone either if they can help it. They have test devices specifically for developer builds and testing like this.

People need to stop installing something that's seeded to developers and not available via Apple's consumer channel then complaining that it doesn't work as well as <insert iOS x >.

LCfiner

Having to pay for a developer account isn't enough?

One might think that but experience reading The Internet the last few years shows otherwise.

Hey, people can do what they want. I just don't think they always realize how rough the iOS betas can be and then screw themselves over. for those of us who know the risk and do it anyway, that's another story :)

So many other companies (heck, even Apple with Siri) call products betas that are still clearly designed for public consumption

One might think that but experience reading The Internet the last few years shows otherwise.

Hey, people can do what they want. I just don't think they always realize how rough the iOS betas can be and then screw themselves over. for those of us who know the risk and do it anyway, that's another story :)

So many other companies (heck, even Apple with Siri) call products betas that are still clearly designed for public consumption

I don't think Apple has a responsibility to take care of the stupid.

Sullichin

If you can't deal with the beta experience, don't install a beta product. This isn't meant for consumer release or a "preview build".

Huh? I can "deal" with it, and I am a developer. I know that it's a beta. I can still have an opinion on it. My main gripe is that it's just ugly. I'm well aware that these bugs I've been experiencing are because it's early software...

dream

Yeah, I didn't get the sense that Sullichin was shocked by the bugs he's come across. It read more like "hey, I know your experience has been fine, but this beta has been pretty rough for me, and they have a lot of work to do."

Vergecast with another 30 minute rant on iOS, lol.

Have to agree with them... disappointing that they just put a new coat of paint on it and nearly all the pains of iOS 6 are still there. I don't know how many more people need to ask for default apps or inter-app sharing before they'll listen. This deep integration with X service is, IMO, the completely wrong way to do it.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
One person said their battery life was good/better than iOS 6. Cany ANYONE corroborate that? Not complaining but mine has been atrocious.

subrock

I was playing around with reminders last night and completely broke it. Can't fix it by shutting down the app. It's totally unresponsive to touches. Whoops!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I was playing around with reminders last night and completely broke it. Can't fix it by shutting down the app. It's totally unresponsive to touches. Whoops!

Better add a reminder not to do that, bro.

Does force quitting it from the task bar solve it? If not, try rebooting the phone.

Re: Battery life, on my iPhone 5 I've noted a slight decrease in longevity but nothing major. I'm usually around 60% after a day's worth of activity (music/surf/mail/twittering), while back on iOS6 I averaged 70% on a normal day. I chalk this up to general betaness and the fact that analytics are running 24/7 in the background collecting data (as with all Apple betas).

subrock

One person said their battery life was good/better than iOS 6. Cany ANYONE corroborate that? Not complaining but mine has been atrocious.

Can't confirm or deny since I have mine plugged in most of the day. I'll let it run out today and post my results.

subrock

Better add a reminder not to do that, bro.

Does force quitting it from the task bar solve it? If not, try rebooting the phone.

Force quitting and hard resetting do nothing. I can still get siri to make reminders though, and the UI will update to show the new task, but I can't check off the task. I can see a sliver of the search bar and can sometimes get it to react, but the main window is totally useless.

so 100% of the time now with iOS 7 when I put music on my phone, that isn't something I purchased with iTunes, it doesn't upload the cover art correctly

anyone else have this annoying bug?

Sullichin

so 100% of the time now with iOS 7 when I put music on my phone, that isn't something I purchased with iTunes, it doesn't upload the cover art correctly

anyone else have this annoying bug?

I've noticed this too, but it's not happening with every non-iTunes song for me.

Currently playing song doesn't show on the lock screen for me anymore.

derder

Just got the new macbook air. This is my first time using OSX. What apps should I get? Do people use safari over chrome?

I don't know if it's a bug or not, but I hope it isn't because I really like it: when I'm using the lock screen music controls, and the screen shuts off, when I turn the screen back on again the controls are still up - I don't have to double-click the home button each time I turn on the screen to get them.

Does this happen for everyone or is it just a glitch?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I don't know if it's a bug or not, but I hope it isn't because I really like it: when I'm using the lock screen music controls, and the screen shuts off, when I turn the screen back on again the controls are still up - I don't have to double-click the home button each time I turn on the screen to get them.

Does this happen for everyone or is it just a glitch?

It's the way it behaves as of now.

Cheebo

Banned
Vergecast with another 30 minute rant on iOS, lol.

Have to agree with them... disappointing that they just put a new coat of paint on it and nearly all the pains of iOS 6 are still there. I don't know how many more people need to ask for default apps or inter-app sharing before they'll listen. This deep integration with X service is, IMO, the completely wrong way to do it.

They fixed A LOT of things people complained about. People didn't like the multi-tasking, they fixed it to fit in with the popular jailbreak full screen view multi-tasking.

People complained there was no way to turn off basic features without going into settings like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. They fixed that with the quick settings in the status bar.

People complained there was no unibar in mobile safari. Fixed.

People complained there was no way to send files/pictures/videos/etc without imessaging or emailing. Fixed with airdrop.

People complained you had to update all the apps yourself and there was no auto-update. Fixed.

They fixed A LOT. There is a lot more fixes excluding the new iOS design from 6 to 7 than there was from 5 to 6. By far.

Majine

Banned
I am of the opinion that they didn't have to go in the complete other direction from skeumorphism, but could've chosen some middle ground where OSX Mavericks seems to be, where Apple's own apps can blend in better with third party apps.

They fixed A LOT of things people complained about. People didn't like the multi-tasking, they fixed it to fit in with the popular jailbreak full screen view multi-tasking.

People complained there was no way to turn off basic features without going into settings like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. They fixed that with the quick settings in the status bar.

People complained there was no way to send files/pictures/videos/etc without imessaging or emailing. Fixed with airdrop.

People complained you had to update all the apps yourself and there was no auto-update. Fixed.

They fixed A LOT. There is a lot more fixes excluding the new iOS design from 6 to 7 than there was from 5 to 6. By far.

I would argue that the ability to set default apps is much bigger than all those combined. IMO, it's a simple change that would fundamentally make iOS much more pleasing to use.

I can't say I've ever really been dying to have a WP8 style multitasking view, unibar in Safari, or yet another (limited) proprietary file transfer system but maybe I'm in the minority and these are actually big issues. Quick settings was long overdue though.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just got the new macbook air. This is my first time using OSX. What apps should I get? Do people use safari over chrome?
Use whichever browser you prefer. Both have great cloud syncing features. I personally use Chrome, but Safari gets better with each version. I'd still probably have a hard time switching to Safari if I tried.

Pachimari

Besides the obvious errors here and there, iOS 7 is really IMPRESSIVE to me. It's not just BEAUTIFUL, it also got those wonderful small features. Though, Apple implement Quick Compose and Quick Reply sooner rather than later please. :)

The icons are also perfect, especially the Photos and Game Center apps. It's like candy or silk, I just wanna scream YUMMY when using my phone now.

I had been using Chrome for years and still use it but last week I "converted" to Safari and it's one wonderful experience if you use the keyboard shortcuts. It's just so simple and beautiful. It'll be real quick opening and closing tabs, switching between tabs, getting to your Reading List etc. And the edge to edge design of the browser is wonderful.

yet they couldn't fix a simple pain in the ass issue for iTunes Match users, so they don't have to always: exit the music app -> go to settings -> to go music -> show all music on/off -> exit settings -> go back to music app. They could just build that into the music app, also they didn't add any new features like "up next", just left as is but new coat of paint

for iOS 5 and iOS 6 it was like this, they left it as if

Top Bottom