• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

Sullichin

I would argue that the ability to set default apps is much bigger than all those combined. IMO, it's a simple change that would fundamentally make iOS much more pleasing to use.

I can't say I've ever really been dying to have a WP8 style multitasking view, unibar in Safari, or yet another (limited) proprietary file transfer system but maybe I'm in the minority and these are actually big issues. Quick settings was long overdue though.

Yeah, I really really want default apps and the option to totally hide apps that come with my phone. Who the hell uses the contacts app? I don't want stocks or passbook either.

I would also like the ability to attach an image/video WHILE i'm writing an email, not the other way around.

Just got the new macbook air. This is my first time using OSX. What apps should I get? Do people use safari over chrome?

I prefer Chrome, but Safari is good too.
If you're coming from Windows and used to window snapping, you can get it (and a bunch of cool gestures and stuff) by downloading BetterTouchTool.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Yeah, I really really want default apps and the option to totally hide apps that come with my phone. Who the hell uses the contacts app? I don't want stocks or passbook either.

I would also like the ability to attach an image/video WHILE i'm writing an email, not the other way around.
Just touch the screen in the body of the email and there's an option to insert photos and videos. Unless iOS 7 took out the option?

derder

I prefer Chrome, but Safari is good too.
If you're coming from Windows and used to window snapping, you can get it (and a bunch of cool gestures and stuff) by downloading BetterTouchTool.
Wow BTT is pretty slick, thanks!

I've decided to stick with chrome as it will sync with my nexus 7, nexus 4, htpc and gaming desktop.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I don't know if it's a bug or not, but I hope it isn't because I really like it: when I'm using the lock screen music controls, and the screen shuts off, when I turn the screen back on again the controls are still up - I don't have to double-click the home button each time I turn on the screen to get them.

Does this happen for everyone or is it just a glitch?

It's the way it behaves as of now.

Awesome! I find it pretty annoying to have to double click each time

Quick

Banned
lol at "Who uses the contacts app?"

Honestly, it doesn't get any simpler than the default contacts app, but what other fancy thing do you need it to do?

jts

...hate me...
lol at "Who uses the contacts app?"

Honestly, it doesn't get any simpler than the default contacts app, but what other fancy thing do you need it to do?
He probably means that you can just access/edit and do whatever with your contacts right from the phone app, so it gets a bit redundant.

seldead

Yeah the contacts app is completely redundant, I don't see any point in using it over the one built into the phone app #talkinginabsolutes

LCfiner

I understand why the contacts app is there on the ipad and ipod touch. but it's redundant on the iphone. Never should have been brought over. just a waste of icon space.

8byte

Banned
Huh? I can "deal" with it, and I am a developer. I know that it's a beta. I can still have an opinion on it. My main gripe is that it's just ugly. I'm well aware that these bugs I've been experiencing are because it's early software...

It didn't sound like you were aware of that, when you mention crashing, text rendering issues, sluggishness, and battery life (all of which are or could be related to early code).

But hey, it's whatever.

DarkJC

yet they couldn't fix a simple pain in the ass issue for iTunes Match users, so they don't have to always: exit the music app -> go to settings -> to go music -> show all music on/off -> exit settings -> go back to music app.

You're the first person I've seen complain about this. Why is that a problem? I use iTunes Match all the time and never have any urge to turn that off.

My mistake. I initially thought they were talking about OS X. Still don't know why anyone would want to get rid of Contacts on the iPhone either. My argument goes for iOS as well as OS X.

On iOS contacts are already in the phone app while up until FaceTime was added to OS X the only way to access your contacts was through the contacts app.

giga

My mistake. I initially thought they were talking about OS X. Still don't know why anyone would want to get rid of Contacts on the iPhone either. My argument goes for iOS as well as OS X.

But Contacts are used by a bunch of apps on iOS as well.
Both the contacts and phone app are front ends to the address book database. If both serve the same functionality, then a user wanting to hide one or the other is reasonable.

jstripes

Banned
I understand why the contacts app is there on the ipad and ipod touch. but it's redundant on the iphone. Never should have been brought over. just a waste of icon space.

Even though there's a contacts tab in the phone app, I like having a contacts app on its own. It feels more appropriate, especially since I store way more than phone numbers in it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Messages uses them too. And doesn't the SDK allow third party apps to access some of the database as well? I don't know why anyone would want to get rid of the centralized contact database. Hide it, yes, but get rid of it, no way. Too useful. Especially when I first got my iPhone last June and my entire contact list had been synced before I even left the store.

Even though there's a contacts tab in the phone app, I like having a contacts app on its own. It feels more appropriate, especially since I store way more than phone numbers in it.
This is the correct answer. It's not just phone numbers. Or emails. Or websites.

Cipherr

Apple needs to stop calling these betas, since most people are conditioned by other companies to think betas are A-OK for general use, and call them something scarier to discourage non-devs from installing them

I hate that also. The same thing happened with the Ouya to a degree. Beta units go out early before the software is finished..... tons of sites and people 'review' the beta software unit bitching about small bugs etc while the creators beg them to wait for the final retail firmware. It seems no matter what you do, people don't respect the fact that its a beta anymore. The term has been watered down.

giga

Messages uses them too. And doesn't the SDK allow third party apps to access some of the database as well? I don't know why anyone would want to get rid of the centralized contact database. Hide it, yes, but get rid of it, no way. Too useful. Especially when I first got my iPhone last June and my entire contact list had been synced before I even left the store.
No one said this.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
But it's not redundant.

I'd rather use one single app to edit all my contact data than having to go into each separate app. Plus there's data you can enter that apps don't normally use.

I don't see it as redundant at all.

But it's not redundant.

I'd rather use one single app to edit all my contact data than having to go into each separate app. Plus there's data you can enter that apps don't normally use.

It is though since the exact same thing is found in the phone app.

LCfiner

But it's not redundant.

once again, on the phone, it totally is redundant as it is just the exact UI ripped out of the phone UI contacts tab.

OK, I can envision one scenario where someone might be confused by the idea of going into the phone app to edit a contact card that only contains email or an address. They may think the contacts app is more obvious.

but that's a bit of a stretch, imo.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wouldn't mind it so much if we could get rid of default apps.
This I will agree with. But at least now we'll be able to hide them on some never seen page in a folder.

I don't understand why they hadn't adopted the iPod nano approach of putting a section in settings for turning certain homescreen apps on and off. The app would still be available via search or when another app needs to open it, but it wouldn't be seen on the homescreen. Maybe they feel it would be too confusing?

And LC, that's what I'm saying. A Contacts app is just easier for a new user to figure out than having to go into phone for it yet.

Vyer

Thinking about it, I use the Contacts app all the time. When I have to reference something in it I'd rather open it directly than go through the phone app and out of whatever the last phone app function I was using.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Thinking about it, I use the Contacts app all the time. When I have to reference something in it I'd rather open it directly than go through the phone app and out of whatever the last phone app function I was using.
And circle gets the square. This is my exact reason for keeping it around.

numble

I was interested in knowing more about Apple's educational customization of iPads from that other thread, and found out that there are some hooks for user account features in iOS (here it only swaps them out on checking/checkout sync):
2xMa4Wrl.jpg

http://images.apple.com/education/docs/ios_6_education_deployment_guide.pdf

Blackhead

Redarse
I was interested in knowing more about Apple's educational customization of iPads from that other thread, and found out that there are some hooks for user account features in iOS (here it only swaps them out on checking/checkout sync):
http://i.imgur.com/2xMa4Wrl.jpg[img]

[url]http://images.apple.com/education/docs/ios_6_education_deployment_guide.pdf[/url][/QUOTE]
Hmmm... i think describing that as user account features is a bit of a stretch. Seems more like an advance form of managing backups.

Burger

Hmmm... i think describing that as user account features is a bit of a stretch. Seems more like an advance form of managing backups.

Apple Configurator has done this for a while. Checkin/Checkout for individual users. Backs up their data, and restores it when next checked in.

It's not a user account feature.

jts

...hate me...
If you start a timer in Clock, it counts down on the lock screen now.
That's cool. I use the iPhone timer all the time, especially when cooking and baking.

Put something to oven or stove, long press on the home button with my finger knuckle. "Siri, timer X minutes". So good and flawless. Satisfyingly loud and responsive. And no grease on the screen.

Is it also true for chronometer? Surely I can't be only one setting up a chronometer, only to forget it and find it days later counting hundreds of hours, lol.

jts

...hate me...
BTW, is there a keyword you can teach Siri so she starts listening immediately after you say it?
Nope, as far as I know (outside of jailbreak tweaks) the only no-button option you can enable is to lift your phone to your face/ear and just speak.

Top Bottom