• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

LCfiner

So I was a little impulsive this afternoon and installed ios7. So far so good

As expected, not every app works perfectly (or at all - like eBay)

I still love the look inside the main apps like safari, photos, music and mail.

Still don't like the translucency of NC over colourful home screens. Looks bad. But It's not terrible over mostly white/grey screens.

I'll be checking battery life over the next couple days. If it starts sucking then I might move back to iOS 6.

hirokazu

i know the podcast app in iOS 6 was awful (cost me $100 in extra 3G download cause there was a bug that kept downloading podcasts even after they had finished downloading), but in iOS7 its basically unusable.

For example, tried syncing an 8-4 play podcast - because i had started downloading it on my phone over 3G but hadn't finished, now it won't sync across from my computer. really ridiculous.

Also I can only sync one time, if i try again, it hangs and I have to reset both itunes and my phone. so bad. Same if I try to play a podcast, it will just not let me go back into podcast app. I have to uninstall the podcast app and download it again.

In short - what other apps are good for podcasts that are free at the moment?
The Podcasts app was fairly unusable when it first came out, I think they've fixed most of the issues now. Only problem is it crashes immediately when I try to open it on iOS 7, so I can't I'm just gonna deal with it until that gets fixed. :(

Sean

Banned
i haven't yet just wondered how others were faring with the app.

I'm having major issues with it as well, podcasts app is completely broken on iOS7.

First time I launched it it was working fine for a bit. Downloaded and started playing a podcast etc with no issues. Then I tried to unlock my phone and it wouldn't let me - the podcast would still play but the screen wouldn't unlock (it showed my homescreen wallpaper only with no icons and the phone wasn't responsive).

Had to hard reset the iPhone. After it rebooted I launched the podcasts app again and it was just a black screen. Another hard reset and tried a third time and the same thing. Finally gave up and streamed the podcast through Safari.

Whogie

Every time the Podcast app acts up I delete it and redownload it. That will bring it back to a usable state until it wants to die again. Manage Podcasts on iTunes 'cause just pressing play on one is rolling the dice as to whether it'll work or just crash again forever.

iOS 7 has been a PITA with all the bugs. I'm frequently checking for a new build.

LCfiner

Side effect of using iOS 7 for a few hours.

I had to switch from Tweetbot to the new Twitterriffic. UI is waaaaay lighter and cleaner and feels more at home in iOS7.

Old apps with the typical iOS 6 chrome will need to be updated quickly or people like me will search out iOS7 feeling replacements.

For RSS needs, Feedly feels more at home in iOS 7 than Reeder. Another reason it was easy for me to switch after having feed bin/Reeder performance issues.

Kind of a stupid question, but is it possible for a Mac version of GDDR5 RAM to be installed on iMac?

Or what would be the equivalent? In terms of absolute ridiculous speed.

Assume money is of no object

Kind of a stupid question, but is it possible for a Mac version of GDDR5 RAM to be installed on iMac?

Or what would be the equivalent? In terms of absolute ridiculous speed.

Assume money is of no object

No, it's not possible. GDDR5 is RAM for graphic cards (hence the G at the beginning). If you want a fast and responsive system, get an SSD.

So how much do you guys think the new Mac Pro is going to be?

I feel like it should be way cheaper than the old Mac Pro, now that they're using all fixed parts and because it's not upgradable, and they also have to somehow make this a logical purchase decision for design studios, (and I can't think of any reason why somebody would sanely buy one of the new MPs at the current price point. The external storage costs alone...), but on the other hand, this is Apple, and these are server-class CPUs and professional grade GPUs...

I feel like it should be way cheaper than the old Mac Pro, now that they're using all fixed parts and because it's not upgradable, and they also have to somehow make this a logical purchase decision for design studios, (and I can't think of any reason why somebody would sanely buy one of the new MPs at the current price point. The external storage costs alone...), but on the other hand, this is Apple, and these are server-class CPUs and professional grade GPUs...

Probably around $2500-$5000 depending on the options (can go even higher probably).

Probably not much cheaper than the current Pros if at all. It's still going to be an ultra-low volume product. Being built in the US could make the cost go either way depending on if there is any kind of subsidy they're receiving for domestic production.

LCfiner

I'd be shocked if that happens. I don't see Apple pricing this lower than current offerings - it's being positioned as something more experimental and high end by Apple. I see more expensive GPUs (and 2 of them) than Apple ever used plus expensive solid state storage as standard.

Gonna guess $3K minimum.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Unrelated to iOS 7 (though it's enhanced), I've started using Speech Selection (Accessibility > Speech Selection) to read out stuff, having my phone read out GAF posts is hilarious.

LCfiner

Do you remember when they launched the Time Capsule and they threw around those buzzwords?

Bit different here. They use Xeon chips for the Mac Pros and those really are meant for servers and workstations.

And the Fire Pro GL chips from AMD are also aimed directly at workstation use, not for consumer applications.

Whether or not the price difference is worth it is a different matter. But the components listed really are workstation level items. For either Macs or PCs

Maximus.

Really disappointed I had to downgrade to iOS 6 and lose 10 days worth of stuff, oh well. It is so ugly going back, cant wait for the official launch.

So to repost what I asked earlier:

Retina users, does Mavericks help improve performance lag with the OS?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
so.. beta 2 today maybe?

I hope so. Overall B1 is great but one huge issue for me (besides battery life). Something must go amiss (new multitasking? Process gone wild?) and my phone gets hoooooot. Real hot. Sometimes when I wake up to Sleep Cycle it's damn cookin'. Definitely something I'm looking to alleviate ASAP.

iPad version would be nice, too.

Fuchsdh

Yeah, no way it'll be cheaper. The tech they're talking about is proprietary and very high-end... I expect there might be a $2999 model but they'll go up from there. With them only having 4 DIMM slots RAM becomes a more expensive proposition as well--doing a quick check on current MP RAM, a 64GB setup costs $700 at Ramjet.

I really wish they'd given us an updated E5, Thunderbolt and USB3 is the current chassis they have now and teased the new MP for next year or something... I need a pro station to replace my 2008 MBP but I don't really want to buy a Rev A product, no matter who its from.

I hope so. Overall B1 is great but one huge issue for me (besides battery life). Something must go amiss (new multitasking? Process gone wild?) and my phone gets hoooooot. Real hot. Sometimes when I wake up to Sleep Cycle it's damn cookin'. Definitely something I'm looking to alleviate ASAP.

It's the iTunes Store daemon. I've experimented a bit: sending a kill signal to itunesstored through the Activity Monitor instrument via Xcode works like a charm. The other option is to close all apps that invoke itunesstored (App Store, Music, Podcasts I think, etc.) and then restart your phone, but I've not confirmed that works 100% to make sure the process doesn't come back. It's worth doing that if you aren't comfortable enough with Xcode/Instruments or if you're not actually a registered developer as anecdotally it works for me in a pinch.

Once you take care of itunesstored (warning that it will be launched again whenever any of the offending apps are reopened) the battery life is actually quite good and performance is much better as well.

The update is available via the over-the-air updates on the iphone, that's a first for the betas, right? Or did iOS 6 do beta updates OTA too?

Edit: Really glad this came out today. The beta's been pretty good to me so far, some random reboots here and there but nothing too bad, but today I've had a lot of trouble making calls so hopefully this fixes that.

The update is available via the over-the-air updates on the iphone, that's a first for the betas, right? Or did iOS 6 do beta updates OTA too?

Edit: Really glad this came out today. The beta's been pretty good to me so far, some random reboots here and there but nothing too bad, but today I've had a lot of trouble making calls so hopefully this fixes that.

They started with iOS 6.

Make sure you back up before doing an OTA update. Sometimes early betas can even go from bad to worse (not that I'm expecting that here).

Lots of people advocate restoring instead of OTA, but I've personally never had an issue with OTA during betas.

Pachimari

Some of the first reports are:

- Keychain support added.
- Safari is much snappier.
- Shake to re-dial the last number in Phone.
- Voice Memos is back.
- Manly Siri voice added.

Mine is still preparing.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Full list of now supported devices/builds:

iPad (4th generation Model A1458)
iPad (4th generation Model A1459)
iPad (4th generation Model A1460)
iPad mini (Model A1432)
iPad mini (Model A1454)
iPad mini (Model A1455)
iPad Wi-Fi (3rd generation)
iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for ATT)
iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for Verizon)
iPad 2 Wi-Fi (Rev A)
iPad 2 Wi-Fi
iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (GSM)
iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (CDMA)

iPhone 5 (Model A1428)
iPhone 5 (Model A1429)
iPhone 4S
iPhone 4 (GSM Rev A)
iPhone 4 (GSM)
iPhone 4 (CDMA)
iPod touch (5th generation)

MacRumors said:
- ATFDL reports that users who installed beta 1 without officially signing up for Apple's developer program and registering their UDIDs are finding that their devices have been bricked after installing beta 2.

I FUCKIN CALLED IT

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I know that iOS 5 brought OTA updates, but during the beta you couldn't download the updates OTA. At least, from what I remember, the first few. I sat out iOS 6's beta so I didn't know if they started doing beta OTAs or not though.

The last two iOS 5 betas were OTA as well, but yeah, doesn't really matter. :p

NYR

Voice memos is back. Safari definitely seems faster as does the keyboard when typing.

Bluetooth was on by default, really wierd. Talk about unneeded battery drain.

Interesting boot up - it started with the intial set up of a phone, was a little scared it reset the phone but all good!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
- Seems like there's contact images in group messaging now too.

(from macrumors)

Can confirm that. The names of the participants are now also shortened. Surnames are initials instead of being truncated. e.g. "John S & Jane S" instead of "John Smith & Jane..." like it was before.

Voice memos is back. Safari definitely seems faster as does the keyboard when typing.

Bluetooth was on by default, really wierd. Talk about unneeded battery drain.

Interesting boot up - it started with the intial set up of a phone, was a little scared it reset the phone but all good!
BT is on due to AirDrop.

My OTA must have failed. Came back up in recovery mode so I'll have to redo. Friendly reminder to do always do backups before doing OTA (luckily I'm in the habit).

Messages now works better, no misaligned text. The chat bubbles also come up from under the keyboard when you send like in the reveal video.

Reminders now appear in the notification center. I can actually check them off from within it without going to the app.

My wallpaper text has changed to black because it was a bright wallpaper, this didn't happen for me before.

Im not going to update my Mini yet. I think I prefer it to not have any issues, maybe in another beta.

Alright, so now the text for my apps is all black, and with a dark background it does not switch back to white. I can't read anything lol.

Just noticed, I have 4 apps now in background refresh, this may have been in a previous update but I had not noticed.

Google and Googlemaps both now work with background app refresh. Good for Google Now.

Update: Podcast app is not broken anymore. I'm able to remove downcast. It's working great again.

Top Bottom