• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Open folder on iPad. Another example of wasted space:

3bxRqQ0.png
I guess Jonny thinks that making it open up to more than 3x3 wouldn't make "design sense" or something. I respect that he wants the opened folder to look like the closed icon, but I know he can do something to work around this.

Talon

I get the rationale. Really, when you click on a folder, the only thing that the user cares about is that folder, so there's no point in maintaining the rest of the content. The shape of the "space" gives you a sense of place as well.

It's only wasted space if that space would actually be useful to the user.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
The UK Siri is a complete downgrade, he sounds like text-to-speech on early Macs! My friend tells me it downloads the higher quality voice eventually in the background, is this true?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
The UK Siri is a complete downgrade, he sounds like text-to-speech on early Macs! My friend tells me it downloads the higher quality voice eventually in the background, is this true?

You can initiate download of the high quality voices (for most languages) in Accessibility > Speak Selection > Voices > <language> > Enhanced Quality.

English is a 271 MB download.

The setting is buried there because it's tied to the Select to Speech feature, but it uses Siri so it's the same thing.

Personally I'm using the English US voices even though I'm not in the US, works just fine.

hirokazu

I guess Jonny thinks that making it open up to more than 3x3 wouldn't make "design sense" or something. I respect that he wants the opened folder to look like the closed icon, but I know he can do something to work around this.
It always irked me that the folder icon had 3 icons per row but opened to show 4 per row. This fixes it and makes it more consistent.

That said, yes it is sort of weird already on iPhone, and even more so on iPad with how much space is wasted when it could be used to show the other apps in the folder.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I hope Mavericks fixes the problem with windows getting "lost" behind Fullscreen app windows.

For instance some examples:

1) An app may have a window pop-up. Not a modal one, but something like a Preferences dialog or something. Click on the fullscreen window behind it and the smaller windowed window is now gone. Lost behind the fullscreen window until you A) bring it out of fullscreen or B) use the Window menu to find it again...

2) An app that doesn't have a Dock presence, i.e. a background applications window, will open over top of a Fullscreen app's window and once you click the fullscreen window it too is lost. The only problem is this time there is no B because it doesn't appear in any menus. So you have to take the app out of fullscreen to get it back onto the Desktop space.

So I hope Mavericks fixes this somehow by at LEAST letting these hidden windows show up in Mission Control. Give Fullscreen apps a down swipe action that shows any windows on that current space including windows belonging to other apps. It's way too easy for a window to get lost.

mrkgoo

I hope Mavericks fixes the problem with windows getting "lost" behind Fullscreen app windows.

For instance some examples:

1) An app may have a window pop-up. Not a modal one, but something like a Preferences dialog or something. Click on the fullscreen window behind it and the smaller windowed window is now gone. Lost behind the fullscreen window until you A) bring it out of fullscreen or B) use the Window menu to find it again...

2) An app that doesn't have a Dock presence, i.e. a background applications window, will open over top of a Fullscreen app's window and once you click the fullscreen window it too is lost. The only problem is this time there is no B because it doesn't appear in any menus. So you have to take the app out of fullscreen to get it back onto the Desktop space.

So I hope Mavericks fixes this somehow by at LEAST letting these hidden windows show up in Mission Control. Give Fullscreen apps a down swipe action that shows any windows on that current space including windows belonging to other apps. It's way too easy for a window to get lost.
Yes! Damn you downloads window on iTunes! Where have you gone!

I also think that they should make the fullscreen button part of the traffic lights, like maybe add a blue light next to the resize window button. It's against tradition, but who cares, it always feels like that's where it should go (but then of course since the traffic lights disappear on fullscreen....)

keiichi

A welcome change in the 4S side of things is there doesn't appear to be the constant reloading of pages when you swipe back/forward anymore.

Podcast app seems to be working ... For now

Battery still seems to be draining :(

Messaging and other items seem to be much quicker

Did they change the Siri graphic in the first beta? I never noticed until now but it's a nice generic sound line thing vs just a microphone icon

hirokazu

Podcast app seems to be working ... For now

Battery still seems to be draining :(

Did they change the Siri graphic in the first beta? I never noticed until now but it's a nice generic sound line thing vs just a microphone icon

Good, now I can catch up on podcasts. :)

My battery is still awful. I'll duke it out for the next 6-8 weeks until the GM, then I'll restore and start clean and see if it's any good.

I haven't noticed a difference with Siri's graphics though. You probably missed the changes introduced in beta 1.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Beta 2 still doesn't like it when you tap the homescreen pane on the task switcher. Before all the icons would disappear, now just the wallpaper goes black, ha. Can't wait to mess around with this some more.

I feel like Beta 2 is more bug-ridden than Beta 1.

And Beta 2 on iPad is just plain bad.

I still need it to get used to the UI and develop an app though.

ramyeon

Seems to run better overall. Music app is much better and now shows all of my artists in artist view, before it only showed if tagged with an 'album artist'. Instagram bugs have disappeared too, it must have been a problem with iOS and not the app itself.

Aroo

Neo Member
As fast as I want Mavericks I really hope they take their time and do it right. Multi-monitor and full screen support has been the bane of my OSX experience. Of the many things you can "borrow" from linux or windows the multi-monitor/full screen features should of been there day 1.

Still the remember the first time back in 2011 when I got my shiny new Sandy Bridge MBP 13. I loved it. That is, until I connected an external monitor to it. Things were down right broken (not all Apple's fault, Sandy Bridge had some big GPU driver bugs.) Took a couple of months to fix it (6 months for Apple to fix it for Boot Camp.)

DarkWish

So tempted to put this on my iPhone 5, my primary phone. I have it on my old iPhone 4, but it's slow and buggy on that and I don't get all the cool features like the 3D effect and panoramic wallpaper. I know it's a beta, so it won't be super stable... but still, I'm tempted. Someone help convince me either way.

So tempted to put this on my iPhone 5, my primary phone. I have it on my old iPhone 4, but it's slow and buggy on that and I don't get all the cool features like the 3D effect and panoramic wallpaper. I know it's a beta, so it won't be super stable... but still, I'm tempted. Someone help convince me either way.

for an iphone 4, don't even bother, unless you hate battery life

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Anyone else unable to get the new Siri voices to work? Mine just hangs on "Preparing to download..."
So the new voices are downloaded instead of included? I guess that's good if you only need the female voice and don't want to waste space with a useless male one. Also I suspect the normal Siri voice takes up a bit less space due to the lower quality.

Maybe the servers are hammered right now.

hirokazu

So the new voices are downloaded instead of included? I guess that's good if you only need the female voice and don't want to waste space with a useless male one. Also I suspect the normal Siri voice takes up a bit less space due to the lower quality.

I think the new voice replaces the old Siri voice completely. The default voices sound substantially worse as they have a lot less voice samples, hints and such.

ramyeon

Yeah, they take up close to 300mb.

Finally got it to work after resetting my phone. Doesn't seem they've been added for everything Siri says yet but it sounds better than the old one, definitely.

So does the Beta 2 check for the UDID?

I have the Developer's Program so I have no worries. But I read in this thread that Beta 2 will brick unregistered devices and some people who illegally have iOS 7, without registering their UDID, say they are on Beta 2.

So does the Beta 2 check for the UDID?

I have the Developer's Program so I have no worries. But I read in this thread that Beta 2 will brick unregistered devices and some people who illegally have iOS 7, without registering their UDID, say they are on Beta 2.

Works fine

numble

I tried putting it on my iPad mini and it just kept switching between a black apple (white background) and a white apple (black background) over and over.
:(

I'm going to try loading it again.

Top Bottom