• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I assume it'll run well on a 4th gen iPad, but has anyone tested it on the 3rd gen or the Mini yet? Impressions?

Shaky at best. Lots of little visual bugs, and general performance isn't what I'd call smooth.

Still pretty happy with how it looks though.

LCfiner

If the reminders UI for the iPad ships like as it is now, I'll freak out.

Half the screen is transparent with the reminders list, the other half is textured paper like on the iPhone. It really looks unfinished.

Plus there are elements of the split keyboard that aren't done yet, like the keyboard dismissal icon.

Bookmarks bar in Safari doesn't seem to work either.

subrock

All the weird bugs in beta 1 have been replaced by some even weirder ones in beta 2. Got a notification, springboard crashed. Instagram crashes when I try to take a photo (probably due to the changes in AVFoundation). Safari randomly reloading pages when I navigate back.

SnakeXs

iCloud tabs don't seem to work in either direction, too.

Also Airdrop is totally the snazziest thing ever.

And I'm trying to figure out what the fuck the purpose of Photo Booth is. I don't mind the tacky skeu is out, especially since it fucking put a red cast on your face, but now it's effectively the same as the camera app, except with different filter effects. Also, not a usability/purpose complaint but flipping the camera in it = some sort of freak out every time.

NYR

Hmmm - need to take back my statement about battery usage being improved in beta 2.

25% left - I've got 5 hours of usage, 11 hours standby.

Decent, but still a significant drop from iOS 6.

SnakeXs

As I understand it the original idea for the iPad version was to show off the A5 chip and front-facing camera in the iPad 2 - basically a tech demo.

At least the previous version had a countdown though. This has the exact properties as the camera app, except no mode selector and the goofy visual filters instead.

NYR

Does anyone know when the new Macbook pro refreshes are coming? I am considering one with the new Haswell chips.
Likely in September/Fall, but it's more likely they update the rMBP and discontinue the MacBook Pro. It will happen eventually.

Back to school means discount program, so it's doubtful they update before the fall.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So does the Beta 2 check for the UDID?

I have the Developer's Program so I have no worries. But I read in this thread that Beta 2 will brick unregistered devices and some people who illegally have iOS 7, without registering their UDID, say they are on Beta 2.
iTunes doesn't allow updating to non registered devices. Anyone who says otherwise is already registered through someone, this year or prior years and are still on an active dev account as they carry over.

Exentryk

Likely in September/Fall, but it's more likely they update the rMBP and discontinue the MacBook Pro. It will happen eventually.

Back to school means discount program, so it's doubtful they update before the fall.

Yeah, I meant to say rMBP. Thanks.

hirokazu

My brief observations of beta 2 so far is that overall it feels smoother and more stable than beta 1. A lot of the quirks from beta 1 have been addressed, but at the same time, there are numerous new bugs, particularly with the home screen and status bar.

Right now my status bar is black and illegible on the home screen with the default nebula wallpaper. It also went landscape once on the home screen.

I also get the green "Tap to return to call" bar now during a call when I'm on the phone call screen.

So does the Beta 2 check for the UDID?

I have the Developer's Program so I have no worries. But I read in this thread that Beta 2 will brick unregistered devices and some people who illegally have iOS 7, without registering their UDID, say they are on Beta 2.
Can't verify what the situation is, but it certainly won't brick any devices. At best it'll be locked with a message that you can't activate it without registering the device. At worst, you'll get an endless reboot, in which case you just need to DFU restore.

The people who claimed it'll "brick" devices also have a link to their paid UDID registration service, so they have a vested interest in telling people such information.

Regular MBP will probably survive another year with a spec bump, but it's days are certainly numbered.

FerranMG

Any more impressions on iPad 3rd gen?

I'll probably install it this evening in mine, but I'd like to know how the first impressions are.

BTW, are any direct links to the ipsw around? Can't find any ATM.

ramyeon

It seems like the music controls are on when viewing the lock screen by default while playing music now, meaning you can't tell the time from there at all (Double tapping the home button does nothing). I'm assuming this is a bug or oversight and not a design choice though.

You can initiate download of the high quality voices (for most languages) in Accessibility > Speak Selection > Voices > <language> > Enhanced Quality.

English is a 271 MB download.

The setting is buried there because it's tied to the Select to Speech feature, but it uses Siri so it's the same thing.

Personally I'm using the English US voices even though I'm not in the US, works just fine.

It just keeps hanging at "Preparing to Download" for me. Anyone else able to download it?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
It seems like the music controls are on when viewing the lock screen by default while playing music now, meaning you can't tell the time from there at all (Double tapping the home button does nothing). I'm assuming this is a bug or oversight and not a design choice though.

Pull down the notification center in the meantime.

jts

...hate me...
I feel like jumping now.

Just wish there would be a wiki somewhere listing the broken apps or features, on a per device basis.

Sullichin

I'm definitely not imagining bad battery life.

Went to sleep with my phone at 30%, woke up 10 minutes late because my phone was dead and my alarm never went off. My phone has survived the night and woken me up starting with less than 10% battery on dozens of occasions. Even more telling though, was that I charged my phone while I was getting ready, back up to around 30%, and it was completely dead by the end of my hour and a half commute -- and I only used it once to send a text.

So yeah I'm sure I have a stray process running that's melting the shit out of my phone. I haven't messed with the Xcode tools yet though.

LCfiner

SIX YEARS of muscle memory swiping list items to the right to delete them.

And Apple changed it to Swipe to the left in iOS 7. I'm still using the old gesture without thinking about this.

Seems like the change was made solely to support the animation of the new "delete" button sliding into view without caring much about the familiarity of the old gesture. sigh

Fox1304

And Apple changed it to Swipe to the left in iOS 7. I'm still using the old gesture without thinking about this.

Seems like the change was made solely to support the animation of the new "delete" button sliding into view without caring much about the familiarity of the old gesture. sigh

I think it has more to do with the new " swipe to the right to go back " gesture.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

I'm pretty sure it previously let you swipe in either direction to bring up the delete option.

RubxQub

Stop the presses.

SnakeXs
(Today, 11:10 AM)

...has this always said metal?! I've been saying "mental" forever.

DarkJC

Everything about the VPN control panel seems exactly the same as iOS 6. Was per-app VPN a planned addition for iOS 7? I just use mine and send all traffic through it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
The many iPhone leaks going around don't seem to indicate there will be a fingerprint sensor.

Yeah I noticed that, too.

I think I'm more interested in the rumoured 'budget' iPhone this year if it's a 4S with a 3GS-style curved plastic rear.

I'd love the budget iPhone to be in a ton of bright colours like a Lumia.

SnakeXs

Still loving Airdrop. So slick. Wish it worked iOS to OS X, though.

Also the Music App seems to have some default artist pictures for some of the more mainstream stuff in my collection. Very much a fan.

Also the Music App seems to have some default artist pictures for some of the more mainstream stuff in my collection. Very much a fan.

It doesn't work iOS to OS X (or vice versa) because, unfortunately, they're basically two totally different things with the same name.

It'd only be doable if OS X got the additional sharing services that iOS has (shared URLs is the best example), and if iOS actually got a working shared document pool (so someone could AirDrop you a PDF, for example, and it wouldn't have to get attached to a specific app).

RubxQub

It doesn't work iOS to OS X (or vice versa) because, unfortunately, they're basically two totally different things with the same name.

It'd only be doable if OS X got the additional sharing services that iOS has (shared URLs is the best example), and if iOS actually got a working shared document pool (so someone could AirDrop you a PDF, for example, and it wouldn't have to get attached to a specific app).

I was hoping that it would at least let you do this, and basically just "Opens in..." whatever file you dropped to the iPhone so you could put it where you wanted it to go.

Would be a really good feature.

Going from iOS to OSX doesn't seem like something I'd really want to do, but vice-versa, yeah. I'd love bi-directional of course...

hirokazu

Still no custom Panorama Wallpapers ? Can't seem to make them work like they should :(
It seems to be pretty specific on the size of the image and the aspect ratio before it'll classify something as a panorama.

My gripe is it isn't even recognising panoramas I took on the bloody phone!

LCfiner

Yeah, I just tested it out iPad to iPhone and it's quite cool. Too bad that I won't be able to use it in the real life with people I know for a few more years as they're all using older iPhones that don't get airdrop. Gotta wait for them to upgrade first.

LeleSocho

Banned

What? It doesn't work?
Wow my most hyped feature now has become useless... why even call it AirDrop if it doesn't connect to the Macs?

It'd only be doable if OS X got the additional sharing services that iOS has (shared URLs is the best example)

OS X has had arbitrary URL schemes for years. Off the top of my head, I remember a bunch of Mac-only network games over the years used them to launch-games via a web-based game tracker.

NYR

Just noticed the badge notification on top of an icon (eg - # of emails unread) is on its own plane in terms of the 3D effect.

In other words, it moves separately from the icons and background when you move the phone around.

Top Bottom