• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Yeah, I just tested it out iPad to iPhone and it's quite cool. Too bad that I won't be able to use it in the real life with people I know for a few more years as they're all using older iPhones that don't get airdrop. Gotta wait for them to upgrade first.

My only concern is that for a device to "receive" an Airdrop it has to be "active". If my device is locked nothing happens. Unlock it and the Airdrop prompt/notification appears. I hope that by final it'll alert locked devices, too.

Nicktendo86

My only concern is that for a device to "receive" an Airdrop it has to be "active". If my device is locked nothing happens. Unlock it and the Airdrop prompt/notification appears. I hope that by final it'll alert locked devices, too.
Really? I fail to see how this is any better than android beam?

subrock

Hmmm - need to take back my statement about battery usage being improved in beta 2.

25% left - I've got 5 hours of usage, 11 hours standby.

Decent, but still a significant drop from iOS 6.

I used sleepcycle last night, and it requires you to keep your phone on, but face down with the screen shut off. Started at 96% charge and it was dead as a doornail in the morning. iOS6 would easily make it through the night.

numble

You can do it across the room.
They allow Bluetooth iBeacons to communicate with locked devices, so I don't see how they can't change this locked/unlocked feature later on.
It sounds like the sending device can still "see" the other device, they just don't have a locked notification feature implemented.

SnakeXs

I used sleepcycle last night, and it requires you to keep your phone on, but face down with the screen shut off. Started at 96% charge and it was dead as a doornail in the morning. iOS6 would easily make it through the night.

I had mine charged and Sleep Cycle apparently died about 6 hours in. I'll be having backup alarms for the time being. Better than waking up to my iPhone being lava hot, I guess.

Enco

SleepCycle kinda makes it important to connect your phone to a wall socket.

Unless if you don't need it the next day, you shouldn't leave it unplugged.

Dany

Banned
Why didn't you plug it in to charge?

SnakeXs

To clarify, I had/have my phone plugged in when using Sleep Cycle, but last night the app itself died, wasn't running when I woke up and said it finished logging my sleep at 7AM or so.

The app itself may be unstable in b2, just to warn other users not to completely rely on it to wake up.

NYR

Loving the new send button on texts - lets you know right away if it will be an iMessage rather than a text.

KtSlime

Updated to Mavericks DP2, definitely the smoothest this computer has been in years. There are definitely a few things that I don't like.

The new gesture to bring up the Dock in Fullscreen does not feel right, I never accidentally pulled up the Dock in the past so I don't know why the felt the need to change it, but I feel like I have to be very careful to bring it up, otherwise it doesn't work.

What the hell is this?
EtzZCOH.png
They did something to the font rendering, and the system Japanese font is awful. Is this a ploy to make people purchase a retina display?

Some of the apps are ugly, Notes was better before, Calendar is okay but I really didn't mind it before, I guess the changes in week view are worth it though. Reminders is just completely out of place now, Contacts is as bland as ever, they should enlarge the contact photo well so that the app doesn't get lost on the desktop.

Really like the new Activity Monitor and have been waiting for them to do something to it since Tiger, but am confused on how I should read some of it. The piechart memory use Dock icon I use frequently, however it does not budge in Mavericks, and is reduced to only 2 sections.
pb6aAXb.png
I assume blue is in use and green is free, but Apple got rid of the key as well. Also curious as to what units "Energy Impact" is.

Drag and Drop between tabs and spaces could use some work as well.

Overall the system feels incredibly quick on my 1st gen Al MacBook.

subrock

Why didn't you plug it in to charge?

I was at 96% and it used to make it through the night. I have it plugged in all day at work so I don't mind going to work with 30% battery. Also, my girlfriend fell asleep on my arm and I couldn't reach the charger.

Fuchsdh

Updated to Mavericks DP2, definitely the smoothest this computer has been in years. There are definitely a few things that I don't like.

The new gesture to bring up the Dock in Fullscreen does not feel right, I never accidentally pulled up the Dock in the past so I don't know why the felt the need to change it, but I feel like I have to be very careful to bring it up, otherwise it doesn't work.

What the hell is this?
EtzZCOH.png
They did something to the font rendering, and the system Japanese font is awful. Is this a ploy to make people purchase a retina display?

Some of the apps are ugly, Notes was better before, Calendar is okay but I really didn't mind it before, I guess the changes in week view are worth it though. Reminders is just completely out of place now, Contacts is as bland as ever, they should enlarge the contact photo well so that the app doesn't get lost on the desktop.

Really like the new Activity Monitor and have been waiting for them to do something to it since Tiger, but am confused on how I should read some of it. The piechart memory use Dock icon I use frequently, however it does not budge in Mavericks, and is reduced to only 2 sections.
pb6aAXb.png
I assume blue is in use and green is free, but Apple got rid of the key as well. Also curious as to what units "Energy Impact" is.

Drag and Drop between tabs and spaces could use some work as well.

Overall the system feels incredibly quick on my 1st gen Al MacBook.

Good to here it's actually faster. Tired of new OS releases needing new hardware to get the same speed. I expect that from Adobe, not Apple.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That's pretty awesome.

I can see the Apple Store window displays now. A giant 3D diorama of an iPhone 5S with all the different layers of the new OS that changes as you walk by it.

Phoenix

It is substantially better than Android Beam (for file sharing) but what Apple created isn't really any different than WiFi direct which is an open supportable standard. Won't be long before some enterprising app developer replicates the functionality Apple is pushing for Android devices. All it requires is a registry of devices to announce their availability by geolocation.

Guess Who

Banned
Okay, Skype just straight up doesn't work for me on OSX Beta 2. Kind of a big deal. I just got beta'd.

It lists Skype as incompatible in the release notes, bro.

And, to be fair, Skype is terribly written software that's prone to being slow crashy shit even on a good day, and everything else works, so I'm inclined to believe it's a Skype issue.

JBuccCP

I got it on my iphone 5. I like it quite a bit. The animations are nice, maybe a little overindulgent in some cases. They need to make tabs in Safari just work like the multitasking screen though. These weird angled pages and tiny x's are dumb.

LCfiner

I got it on my iphone 5. I like it quite a bit. The animations are nice, maybe a little overindulgent in some cases. They need to make tabs in Safari just work like the multitasking screen though. These weird angled pages and tiny x's are dumb.

if the X's are bugging you, you can slide the pages off the the left to delete them.

One thing I like about the vertical list of pages is that it's easy to switch between 3 or 4 page without having to swipe.

JBuccCP

if the X's are bugging you, you can slide the pages off the the left to delete them.

One thing I like about the vertical list of pages is that it's easy to switch between 3 or 4 page without having to swipe.
Lol I tried like 5 times to swipe them off to the right and just assumed swiping didn't work.

LCfiner

Lol I tried like 5 times to swipe them off to the right and just assumed swiping didn't work.

lol, just going back to my earlier post about list items. same thing. 6 years of swiping right, Apple! (yes, I know the navigation gesture is likely causing this)

DarkWish

Put beta 2 on my primary phone, my iPhone 5. So far no major bugs aside from the camera freezing up if I open it from the lock screen. Other than that, things have been running smoothly overall.

GWX

Put beta 2 on my primary phone, my iPhone 5. So far no major bugs aside from the camera freezing up if I open it from the lock screen. Other than that, things have been running smoothly overall.

Jealous. iPad beta is so buggy it hurts.

hirokazu

You guys who have working Podcasts app are lucky. Mine went from crashing immediately on beta 1 to opening to a blank screen on beta 2. :p

I've never used Sleep Cycle without having the phone plugged in because I assume it would be dead if I don't do that. It does tell you that the phone should probably be plugged in, doesn't it?

They finally added time stamps to iMessage. Swipe in from the right when viewing your message and there they are.

Yeah, this is a very welcome addition. I wish it would stay on screen instead of snapping back as soon as you let your finger off though.

Fox1304

It seems to be pretty specific on the size of the image and the aspect ratio before it'll classify something as a panorama.

My gripe is it isn't even recognising panoramas I took on the bloody phone!

Mine works, and I even managed to add some custom pictures recognized as panoramas, but there is something wrong when tilting the phone, there are black bars switching from top/bottom according to the tilt of the phone.
Neat feature though.

Mine works, and I even managed to add some custom pictures recognized as panoramas, but there is something wrong when tilting the phone, there are black bars switching from top/bottom according to the tilt of the phone.
Neat feature though.

Make sure to resize to 1138 in height. it will solve this problem.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Neat feature though.

It's because the feature expects Panoramas to have been taken with the camera, not be custom "yyyy x 1136" screen-sized pictures. The camera outputs 8240 x 2448 photos which zoom and pan correctly with the feature.
Note: to get panning at all, apply panorama wallpapers via the Brightness & Wallpaper setting, not via Photos or anywhere else with the "Use as Wallpaper" button.
Make sure to resize to 1138 in height. it will solve this problem.

This won't work in most cases either, it's a glitch apparently. Personally, I tested all the wallpapers you linked earlier and they all had black bars. :/

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm curious. In iOS7, when the phone is plugged in, does the lock screen still just show a black screen with a battery? Or does it show the wallpaper finally? I hate how plugging it in gets rid of the awesome wallpaper for no reason. Even when it's 100% charged.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I'm curious. In iOS7, when the phone is plugged in, does the lock screen still just show a black screen with a battery? Or does it show the wallpaper finally? I hate how plugging it in gets rid of the awesome wallpaper for no reason. Even when it's 100% charged.

ios7-lockscreen-battery.jpg

Question about Dual Monitor setup for iMacs both 21 inch

Should both monitors have 16 GB of storage for a total of 32 AND a SSD or Fusion Drive
or am I wasting money and should just get 8 for both monitors and a SSD or Fusion Drive is more than fast enough?

subrock

I've never used Sleep Cycle without having the phone plugged in because I assume it would be dead if I don't do that. It does tell you that the phone should probably be plugged in doesn't it?

It does say that yes. I'm not complaining that sleep cycle used my battery up, more that I found it interesting that they must've changed something about app power management as I used to make it through the night without being plugged in.

Pachimari

Hmm it's getting annoying. I restored my iPhone 5 to iOS 7 b2 in iTunes (after having done it OTA anyway), but more often than not, it still won't go to sleep when I press the sleep-button.

Have any of you encountered this issue?

ramyeon

Awesome!

Except I don't care for the battery there. I liked the realistic looking one up through iOS6. Sometimes realistic imagery can be good if you ask me.
You only see the battery like that for like 1 second before it reverts to the regular lock screen anyway. A realistic battery like iOS6 would have looked really out of place.

numble

It is substantially better than Android Beam (for file sharing) but what Apple created isn't really any different than WiFi direct which is an open supportable standard. Won't be long before some enterprising app developer replicates the functionality Apple is pushing for Android devices. All it requires is a registry of devices to announce their availability by geolocation.

Geolocation wouldn't work unless WiFi Direct is strong enough to send a signal through multiple floors (geolocation would report a device 20 floors down as available) or across a huge parking lot. I think the use of a Bluetooth-WiFi Direct combo makes sense because Bluetooth strongly correlates to strength of WiFi Direct.

hirokazu

Neat feature though.

I downloaded a bunch from the post earlier that had a few primarily Mario ones and I found that the ones that were relatively shorter width were not recognised as panoramas on my phone, while all the wider ones were. I assumed that the relative width must play a part.

The panoramas the phone takes is much larger than 1138px height too, so there must be more to it.

hirokazu

It does say that yes. I'm not complaining that sleep cycle used my battery up, more that I found it interesting that they must've changed something about app power management as I used to make it through the night without being plugged in.

It could be the background app refresh that iOS 7 allows. Maybe Sleep Cycle doesn't know what to do with it and goes crazy. Who knows?

DarkWish

So after seeing someone with that Pikmin 3 panoramic wallpaper, I just had to track it down and get it myself. So I found the image and cropped it and it looks great! Thought I'd share (click for full size):

Height was set to 1140, so that fits with the roughly 1138 height mentioned earlier in the topic. Gonna play around with making some more!

Betas (and often GM releases) are notoriously bad on battery life. You really can't read anything into the power usage right now.

Majine

Banned
Now that apps automatically updates, it would've been nice if we could optionally get the patch notes instead of just "This app has updated" in the notifications.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Now that apps automatically updates, it would've been nice if we could optionally get the patch notes instead of just "This app has updated" in the notifications.

You can. Press the notification.

It also keeps a list of the updates in the 'Updates' tab in the App Store.

subrock

Betas (and often GM releases) are notoriously bad on battery life. You really can't read anything into the power usage right now.
I know that. I'm not damning that OS or anything for dying with an app running all night. Thought it was interesting that an app that would previously make it through the night, didn't.

DarkJC

I know that. I'm not damning that OS or anything for dying with an app running all night. Thought it was interesting that an app that would previously make it through the night, didn't.

The thing is it's not interesting, because there's a million reasons why it wouldn't make it through the night in a beta. For all we know some completely unrelated daemon got stuck in the background and used up the rest of your power.

Try it again when iOS 7 is released. Compare stable releases against each other.

Midas

So I installed iOS 7. Whenever I try to restore from my iOS 6 backup the phone ends up in a reboot loop or something like that. And it seems like I can't downgrade either. Everything I find via Google tells me to just restore with 6.1.4 but iTunes just replies back with that it's not compatible.

Any suggestions? I can use the phone so it's not all that bad, but I would like my settings and everything... Can't restore from iCloud since the last backup is three weeks old and latest backup is on the computer.

Edit: so if anyone else have this issue and need to downgrade: it seems like it will downgrade to 6.1.X if you just restore it from DFU and don't try to select a ipsw you downloaded manually.

Top Bottom