• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Battery usage for me has been fantastic with b2. In fact I think it's literally never been better on my IPhone 5. I left it over night, and it dropped somethign like 2 or 3%, which has literally never, and I mean never been the case ever since I owned it. It would always lose 4-5% per hour.

And this is with all the stuff enabled, location services, background app refresh (only for some apps) etc.

Pachimari

Nobody else having issues with it not going to sleep when pressing the sleep-button?

Btw, my battery life have been very great with b2.

So I installed iOS 7. Whenever I try to restore from my iOS 6 backup the phone ends up in a reboot loop or something like that. And it seems like I can't downgrade either. Everything I find via Google tells me to just restore with 6.1.4 but iTunes just replies back with that it's not compatible.

Any suggestions? I can use the phone so it's not all that bad, but I would like my settings and everything... Can't restore from iCloud since the last backup is three weeks old and latest backup is on the computer.

I had a very similar issue where restores wouldn't finish. Turns out I had an older version of Xcode running and it was mucking with the phone during restore. You might reboot and make sure only iTunes is running just to be safe.

hirokazu

Yeah, it seems like battery life on beta 2 is as good as it's been on iOS6. Not that I liked my battery life on iOS6, but still.

mf.luder

Yikes, I've been running iOS 7 on my iPhone since it's release and just decided to do my iPad mini and I regret it. It's being very buggy.

numble

I keep getting reboot loops on trying to restore a backup (either from the computer or iCloud) after installing iOS 7 on my iPad mini. This is my third day of trying this :(

According to Macrumors forum, disabling Find My iPhone in your backup should work. Back to seeing if this works in a couple of hours...

This won't work in most cases either, it's a glitch apparently. Personally, I tested all the wallpapers you linked earlier and they all had black bars. :/

Balderdash, or maybe a glitch. Might be how you are getting them on the phone. I have 30 panoramas working 100% all are working since I sized them at 1138 in height. When I texted them to a friend they didn't work, when he downloaded the email file they did since it was full res.

Seems like a glitch that it's not working for you, since 1138px in height works 100% for me for 30 files now on my phone.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I can't wait for the Mavericks DP2 to drop. Anyone know if it'll be over the air or will we have to download a new installer again? I wonder when it'll be released.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Is there a change log? I'm downloading it now but can't see any fixes listed.

Below, we’ve compiled changes in the new Mavericks seed:
- Moving around and using the OS seems much snappier and more stable
- Minor UI tweaks in Safari
- Tweaks to share/Message buttons in Notification Center
- iCloud Keychain setup prompt
- Migration Assistant now functional
- Improved performance for select files viewed in Preview

What I found real quick.

Edit: is Reader still a thing in iOS 7?

numble

Well I give up, iOS 7 beta 2 doesn't seem to want to restore from any of my backups, I can use it only with all apps and settings gone; maybe beta 3 will be more welcoming.

SnakeXs said:
Edit: is Reader still a thing in iOS 7?
There's a button in the omnibar (at least on iPad), it just doesn't say "Reader" anymore.

subrock

The thing is it's not interesting, because there's a million reasons why it wouldn't make it through the night in a beta. For all we know some completely unrelated daemon got stuck in the background and used up the rest of your power.

Try it again when iOS 7 is released. Compare stable releases against each other.

Probably not the best idea to hang out in this thread if people comparing the beta to 6.1.4 sets you off.

LCfiner

Well I give up, iOS 7 beta 2 doesn't seem to want to restore from any of my backups, I can use it only with all apps and settings gone; maybe beta 3 will be more welcoming.

There's a button in the omnibar (at least on iPad), it just doesn't say "Reader" anymore.

that reminds me. I hope they add a font choice and font size selector to Reader.

I know the old reader didn’t have font selection, but the old font was better for reading long form, anyway.

small type, helvetica neue ultralight is not the best font for reading a long article.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Sweet! Finder now remembers all open windows and tabs when you reboot. It was forgetting in DP1. The only problem being that OS X doesn't remember where each fullscreen space window was positioned when you reboot. For instance, if I have a Finder window fullscreened, and I move it to the left of the Desktop (Because you can DO THAT NOW!), when I reboot it just puts it to the right in the order it was opened. Small gripe, but at least it's not forgetting my folders. I even rebooted and logged out half a dozen times to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

Also the fact that it remembers which ones are fullscreen tells me they probably fixed the "oops, my app forgot its window was supposed to be fullscreen" bug. Probably. Maybe. I hope.

I might switch to it fulltime soon. Either this week once I am sure nothing will break, or by the time DP3 comes out.

Game Center still has the old look though. Thankfully I never use it except to accept friend requests.

Does anyone know if Mavericks has any issues with iOS 6? I don't have iOS 7 and want to make sure iTunes still works fine with iOS 6.

DarkJC

Probably not the best idea to hang out in this thread if people comparing the beta to 6.1.4 sets you off.

Comparisons are fine. You consistently misunderstand when people are telling you why your comparison means literally nothing and is not interesting.

But sure, deflect with some generic 'calm down' statement. Thanks for your contribution to the thread.

On topic, I'm seconding the great battery life that was mentioned earlier. I haven't been able to get true numbers yet because if the phone resprings it wipes the usage numbers, but it almost feels like I get better battery life than before.

edit: I'm wondering if the new bigger battery meter icon is whats partly contributing to that feeling. I run with percentages off most of the time, and the old small one always looked lower than the percentage actually reflected. The newer one seems a lot more accurate, maybe because they could design it to take full advantage of the retina displays after cutting support for the 3GS.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
ITunes Radio volume levels are funny, or the streaming quality is just noticeably worse than store-bought content.

Playing my purchased music over iTunes Match yields the right quality/levels, but in radio it's compressed.

Blah!

Fox1304

Awesome. My phone won't unlock or turn off.
There is absolutely no touch available. No idea if it's ios7 or the hardware, but I can't do anything.
Tried rebooting the hard way, no use.
Anyone has any idea other than restoring a backup ?

NYR

There is absolutely no touch available. No idea if it's ios7 or the hardware, but I can't do anything.
Same thing happened to me last night, don't panic. Let the battery drain. Mine was fine after an auto reboot when you plug it in to charge.

Keep pressing the wake key to have the screen on and drain the battery faster.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
ITunes Radio volume levels are funny, or the streaming quality is just noticeably worse than store-bought content.

Playing my purchased music over iTunes Match yields the right quality/levels, but in radio it's compressed.

Blah!
They're running a lower bitrate on iRadio during the beta phase.

I had that happen. Hold down home so Siri comes up and you can open an app, then it'll all be fine.

Xun

Whilst I like how applications look, I still can't get over how bad the icons now look in iOS 7.

Safari and Settings are the most hideous of the lot, but I just generally don't like the presentation of any of them.

Appleman

Whilst I like how applications look, I still can't get over how bad the icons now look in iOS 7.

Safari and Settings are the most hideous of the lot, but I just generally don't like the presentation of any of them.

I'm coming around on them a bit after using my phone, but when I go back and use my iOS 6 Retina iPad, instead of it looking archaic it actually seems so nice and cohesive. I'm not sure such a radical change was necessary

Fuchsdh

I'm coming around on them a bit after using my phone, but when I go back and use my iOS 6 Retina iPad, instead of it looking archaic it actually seems so nice and cohesive. I'm not sure such a radical change was necessary

Well, I think the people comparing it to OS X have a point, although I think that's not really an excuse for not making something more pleasing right off the bat. I'm particularly annoyed that despite the hatred of skeumorphism, you end up with icons like the Camera app that are more nonsensical than the iOS 6 one.

subrock

Comparisons are fine. You consistently misunderstand when people are telling you why your comparison means literally nothing and is not interesting.

But sure, deflect with some generic 'calm down' statement. Thanks for your contribution to the thread.

Dude, I'm an iPhone developer. I spend all day in front of Xcode. I have a pretty good grasp on what is relevant and what isn't. If I had come into the thread with a "holy shit guys iOS7 is soooo broken. LOL IVES. battery doesn't work for shit." then I would get your attempts to temper my reaction. If you reread my post that got you so inflamed you'll notice that I was replying to someone.

in conclusion, big deep breath.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Is the maverick beta 2 good for everyday use? I use my Mac for illustrator , photoshop. Or would I have problems ?

NYR

Battery is getting crushed on my iphone 5 today for some reason.

Down to 30% from a full charge - only 1 hour 30 minutes of usage, less than 3 hours standby.

The entire back is on fire.

numble

From @SonnyDickson

yq0y8nY.jpg

Top Bottom