• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
From @SonnyDickson

yq0y8nY.jpg

What are the internals supposed to be? iPhone 4?

numble

What are the internals supposed to be? iPhone 4?
It was a separate leak of what was purported to be the 5S internals minus the A7:
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/17...oard-surface-with-space-for-larger-main-chip/

It looks like the iPhone 5 logic board with some adjustments, so it could just be holding an A6.
z3Xvezi.jpg

What am I looking at?
Sonny Dickson putting leaks together. The first one, linked above, was about a leaked logic board. The second one are these plastic cases that surfaced recently:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/29...tic-rear-shell-from-apples-lower-cost-iphone/

xZ6UCwv.jpg

w5ivl32.jpg

jts

...hate me...
Colors? 2nd-tier iPhone incoming! (finally)

And that means that a big slice of the market will no longer be up for grabs. How big, depends on how much this will undercut the top-tier iPhone.

(before anyone says that the previous year's iPhone already does that job... get out)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Maybe those are the long-rumored iPhone mini cases? In which case, not fair. I want colors too! But I'd rather have a full iPhone with a colored casing based on what the 5 gives. Not plastic colors. Those would match the description being thrown around for an iPhone mini.

Though the A6 is what the iPhone 5 uses.

Best bet is that these will use the iPhone 4S innards.

They wont go lower than the A5 chip at this point. With the mini being a year old the 4s and these phones still will get support for at least another two years of upgrade.

Probably has the 5 mega pixel camera that the mini uses to save money as well.

It's possible they will discontinue the 4 this year and use these.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Best bet is that these will use the iPhone 4S innards.

They wont go lower than the A5 chip at this point. With the mini being a year old the 4s and these phones still will get support for at least another two years of upgrade.

Probably has the 5 mega pixel camera that the mini uses to save money as well.

It's possible they will discontinue the 4 this year and use these.
The 4 will be discontinued anyway. Apple keeps the last 3 models supported and available at any time anyway. Right now you can get a 4, 4S and 5. When the 5S comes out the 4 will go away and the 4S will be the lowest model. I'd say it'd possible this might replace the 4S instead. It would make sense in that it'll allow them to make a cheap budget phone but still upgrade everyone to the new wider screen.

That's my prediction. If the iPhone mini is real, it'll replace the 4S as the low-end model.

I just hope we normal full-price iPhone users will get color choices too. (Though I'm a Virgin user and wouldn't be surprised if when they get the 5S it'll only be available in black and white anyway. I want me a red one!

LCfiner

Maybe those are the long-rumored iPhone mini cases? In which case, not fair. I want colors too! But I'd rather have a full iPhone with a colored casing based on what the 5 gives. Not plastic colors. Those would match the description being thrown around for an iPhone mini.

Though the A6 is what the iPhone 5 uses.

they’re not mini. you can tell they’re iphone 5 sized from the camera cutout and the holes for the logic board placement. those are for 4” 16:9 screens. Maybe by mini you just meant mini-priced? :)

As for the rest of the details, it’s all just educated guesses. I think it’ll be the current iPod touch / iPhone 4S guts (A5, 5MP cam) but with the cheaper plastic back and less storage. say 8 or 16GB instead of 32. And maybe just 3G and no LTE.

If I had to guess at a price... iPhone 4S now sells for $600 no contract. iPhone 4 now sells for $450 (but is free on subsidy). if this thing is going to be aimed at expanding the market for unsubsidized phones more than the older model iPhones could (the 4/4S, etc) then I’m guessing $350 or so.

I do wonder if the ipod touch will get a price drop or Apple will continue to differentiate between the low cost phone and ipod with storage and different CPU generations. (maybe the new iPods get A6’s in them this year, for example)

numble

The 4 will be discontinued anyway. Apple keeps the last 3 models supported and available at any time anyway. Right now you can get a 4, 4S and 5. When the 5S comes out the 4 will go away and the 4S will be the lowest model. I'd say it'd possible this might replace the 4S instead. It would make sense in that it'll allow them to make a cheap budget phone but still upgrade everyone to the new wider screen.

That's my prediction. If the iPhone mini is real, it'll replace the 4S as the low-end model.

I just hope we normal full-price iPhone users will get color choices too. (Though I'm a Virgin user and wouldn't be surprised if when they get the 5S it'll only be available in black and white anyway. I want me a red one!
I don't know why you'd call it a "mini" if it has the same screen size and is thicker than the regular iPhone.

I don't think they will discontinue the iPhone 4S, given that it steps into the same price point currently occupied by the 4. The iPhone 4 was supply-constrained in the holiday quarter, so there is still high demand from carriers/users for a $450 iPhone. The rumors are that this phone will be below $400.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
they’re not mini. you can tell they’re iphone 5 sized from the camera cutout and the holes for the logic board placement. those are for 4” 16:9 screens. Maybe by mini you just meant mini-priced? :)

As for the rest of the details, it’s all just educated guesses. I think it’ll be the current iPod touch / iPhone 4S guts (A5, 5MP cam) but with the cheaper plastic back and less storage. say 8 or 16GB instead of 32. And maybe just 3G and no LTE.

If I had to guess at a price... iPhone 4S now sells for $600 no contract. iPhone 4 now sells for $450 (but is free on subsidy). if this thing is going to be aimed at expanding the market for unsubsidized more than the older model iPhones could (the 4/4S, etc) then I’m guessing $350 or so.

I do wonder if the ipod touch will get a price drop or Apple will continue to differentiate between the low cost phone and ipod with storage and different CPU generations. (maybe the new iPods get A6’s in them this year, for example)
Yes, mini price. Not mini model. It's the Apple way. For half a year they kept the lower pre-widescreen iPod around until a few weeks ago when they released a modified version of the newer one for the budget market. They'll do the same thing with the iPhone just to grab that budget cell phone market. The difference being the Apple Way™. By which I mean, it's still powerful, but it's equivalent to a few generations ago. I'd say the iPhone "mini", i.e iPhone Budget Edition™ will be an iPhone 4S in a cheap plastic iPhone 3 style case with an iPod touch 5 screen. It makes sense and will be the best way for Apple to make one for the masses that can still be good enough to run the current OS (At least for a year or two) and software without being unbearable.

I just hope when they come out Virgin doesn't decide instead of getting the full iPhone every year (Takes them 9 months after release for them to get the current model) they switch to the budget one. I already have a 4S which is 1 generation behind. I don't want to be 2-3 generations behind just to save money. (Keep the higher end iPhone as an option and I'll be happy paying the full unsubsidized price.)

September's iPhone Event is going to be interesting if those photos are legit. We'll have iOS 7 release, an iPhone 5S/6 and possibly an iPhone mini as well as new iPads. It's gonna be a busy day.

I don't know why you'd call it a "mini" if it has the same screen size and is thicker than the regular iPhone.

I don't think they will discontinue the iPhone 4S, given that it steps into the same price point currently occupied by the 4. The iPhone 4 was supply-constrained in the holiday quarter, so there is still high demand from carriers/users for a $450 iPhone. The rumors are that this phone will be below $400.
I personally think they will discontinue the 4S. If they continue selling/supporting it after the 5S comes out it'd be the only device left in the iPhone/iPod Touch lineup that isn't 16:9.

Might as well replace it with a cheaper device that's more in line screen-wise with the rest of the roster.

muddream

Banned
I'm guessing the povertiPhone will have most of the 4s innards, a 4" screen, but a cheap plastic case...might as well drop the 4s in favor of something that's still gonna get rid of your old stock, but is cheaper to build.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I personally think they will discontinue the 4S. If they continue selling/supporting it after the 5S comes out it'd be the only device left in the iPhone/iPod Touch lineup that isn't 16:9.

Might as well replace it with a cheaper device that's more in line screen-wise with the rest of the roster.
This. The faster they get all supported models to the new screen aspect, the sooner they can drop the old 3:2 aspect for developers and get back to 2 aspects overall. (4:3 for iPad, 16:9 for iPhone/iPod.)

Within a few years they won't even be supporting 3:2 models anymore and can remove any relevant code from iOS 9 that accounts for it. (I am going to place a bet that based on history iOS8 will be the 4S' last OS. So iOS 9 will be the first version to not support 3:2. I assume the "mini" will be allowed to support one more generation back.)

numble

I can see the argument, but I don't think they will abandon that $450 price tier for a year when the sales of the iPhone 4 in the last quarters demonstrate that it is still a popular price tier and people still like the design and size. I don't see them abandoning the design of something that was supply constrained just last quarter, not when they can squeeze a lot of margin out of it (it will be the 4th year using that engineering process and screen, but only $200 will be knocked off from when they started those manufacturing processes). I don't think they will make these plastic iPhones fit into the $450 tier either.

This. The faster they get all supported models to the new screen aspect, the sooner they can drop the old 3:2 aspect for developers and get back to 2 aspects overall. (4:3 for iPad, 16:9 for iPhone/iPod.)

Within a few years they won't even be supporting 3:2 models anymore and can remove any relevant code from iOS 9 that accounts for it. (I am going to place a bet that based on history iOS8 will be the 4S' last OS. So iOS 9 will be the first version to not support 3:2. I assume the "mini" will be allowed to support one more generation back.)
iOS 7 design points toward aspect and resolution independence, not uniformity.

Fuchsdh

Yeah, I think you're right. Apple has already had a low-cost option, it's been the old generation phones, and I doubt they're going to drop it even cheaper just so people can get it for $99 without a contract. Makes much more sense to get everything on the same screen size, though.

Wonder when they'll switch the iPads to widescreen (if at all.)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Weren't they coming up with a cheapo iPhone for developing countries? When I see those plastic shells that's the first thing I thought of.

Anyone here in the Mavericks beta? I was just using Finder on Lion, getting annoyed for the hundredth time how the horizontal scroll bar blocks the last item in the list. It's a really stupid oversight and I'm hoping they fixed it...

KtSlime

Anyone here in the Mavericks beta? I was just using Finder on Lion, getting annoyed for the hundredth time how the horizontal scroll bar blocks the last item in the list. It's a really stupid oversight and I'm hoping they fixed it...

Just checked not fixed, but have noticed that disclosure triangles are no longer a thing in list view. I use the browser view so it's not a big deal for myself, but that's definitely got to sting those who are coming from System/Mac OS.

Edit: False alarm, must have been a bug. They showed up after restarting Finder.

I've been hearing the Mavericks build is relatively stable? My mbp is in dire need of a reformat and I'm thinking of going with the dp. Been doing it for 3 years, figured I'd keep tradition alive.

Fuchsdh

I've been hearing the Mavericks build is relatively stable? My mbp is in dire need of a reformat and I'm thinking of going with the dp. Been doing it for 3 years, figured I'd keep tradition alive.

You've been wiping your comp and restarting with a developer version of a new OS?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm starting to wish I could swipe either right or left to unlock now.

ruxtpin

Banned
How are we not sure those aren't just cases? Always thought part of the Apple appeal was the quality of the product. Whether or not you like what Apple stands for, I think folks recognize that they build a solid - physical - product. Going for a plastic phone would go against that in mind mind.

Those are just my thoughts tho.

How are we not sure those aren't just cases? Always thought part of the Apple appeal was the quality of the product. Whether or not you like what Apple stands for, I think folks recognize that they build a solid - physical - product. Going for a plastic phone would go against that in mind mind.

iPhone 3G and 3Gs were plastic.

Guess Who

Banned

Been using the Mavericks DP since it came out, and aside from a few harmless Safari tab crashes and Skype not working (which is fixed by using a slightly older version of Skype), it's been rock solid. Snappier than Mountain Lion and gets better battery life to boot.

Fuchsdh

I tend to think so as well. The original iPhone was pretty solid, better than most of the current Droid ones, and to my recollections still nicer than the Galaxy S3 (although I really would need to compare them side by side to be sure.) But plastic is still plastic, and it's going to feel cheap from the aluminum. I don't see why they wouldn't just essentially take the iPhone 5 and just dumb it down to something more like 4S internals if they were interested in selling a no-contract phone--it would be more in keeping with their discount methods on older models anyhow, and would still remove the old 960x640 devices.

Been using the Mavericks DP since it came out, and aside from a few harmless Safari tab crashes and Skype not working (which is fixed by using a slightly older version of Skype), it's been rock solid. Snappier than Mountain Lion and gets better battery life to boot.

Good to hear it's actually faster. OS X has been feeling bloated since Lion. Snow Leopard was an amazing release, I will be happy if Mavericks can best it in the optimization department (it certainly looks nicer.)

NekoFever

Did anyone else get invited to the iWork for iCloud beta? I got in yesterday on my free developer account.

I don't have iWork on OS X or iOS to see how well the synchronisation works, but it's really slick for a web app.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber

Same here, except for Messages. It's been a bit of a mess syncing iMessages with my iOS devices. Beyond that it's been pretty solid.

Mindwipe

Did anyone else get invited to the iWork for iCloud beta? I got in yesterday on my free developer account.

I don't have iWork on OS X or iOS to see how well the synchronisation works, but it's really slick for a web app.

Seems pretty nice, but my developer account isn't on my iCloud account, so it's a pain in the arse to test tbh.

Pachimari

Seriously is this part of the beta, that I can't turn the screen off on my phone?

I can't turn it off either. The screen is just turned on all of the time. It's like it doesn't react to my sleep button. =(

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Seriously is this part of the beta, that I can't turn the screen off on my phone?

I can't turn it off either. The screen is just turned on all of the time. It's like it doesn't react to my sleep button. =(

Sounds like a glitch causing a really delayed reaction from button presses, have had that happen once or twice but nothing frequent at all.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Should I re-install the beta via iTunes?

Really frustrating it won't turn off. =/

Sounds like a good idea. Does a forced turn-off work (power+home)? I'd do one of those in order to reboot the phone properly before doing a re-install in order to stop any errant processes that could mess with the restoration process.

Pachimari

Sounds like a good idea. Does a forced turn-off work (power+home)? I'd do one of those in order to reboot the phone properly before doing a re-install in order to stop any errant processes that could mess with the restoration process.
Nope. A forced turn off does not work. =/

Pachimari

Well I restored it and it worked fine but now I have installed some apps again and now it will only turn off the screen sometimes but not all the time. =/

FinalSeven

Neo Member
Hmm, not sure about those colors or the material used. They definitely look cheap. I'm still rockin' the 4S, and it feels so well made. I couldn't imagine getting a cheaper iPhone unless it was built the same as the one I have now.

Top Bottom