• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Well I restored it and it worked fine but now I have installed some apps again and now it will only turn off the screen sometimes but not all the time. =/

Culprit being one of those perhaps? Is this via a backup (could be conflicts nested in there)?

Pachimari

Culprit being one of those perhaps? Is this via a backup (could be conflicts nested in there)?
No I don't have that app installed. I could try start it up as a new phone and not from a back up but I did that when I transitioned to beta 2 and that didn't fix it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
No I don't have that app installed. I could try start it up as a new phone and not from a back up but I did that when I transitioned to beta 2 and that didn't fix it.

I meant the culprit causing the lockups might be one of those apps that you install, not an app called Culprit. :D

Pachimari

I meant the culprit causing the lockups might be one of those apps that you install, not an app called Culprit. :D
Ahh haha, I actually thought about it but got confused when it had a uppercase letter but it's fine. :D

I deleted Wordpress and it seems to work better but still not perfect at all. Can anyone try install Wordpress and see if it affects the sleep button?

kennah

Hmm, not sure about those colors or the material used. They definitely look cheap. I'm still rockin' the 4S, and it feels so well made. I couldn't imagine getting a cheaper iPhone unless it was built the same as the one I have now.
I loved the plastic 3GS. It was so sturdy. Could use it as a bottle opener

Pachimari

But it only started acting like this on iOS 7. I think I'm gonna wait and see until the final release of iOS7 is on my phone.

Because we don't have an Apple store here, so I might have to pay for a repair.

Dany

Banned
Iphone-3GS.jpg

now in color*

My only question is why is the face still black? They should have user-designable-replaceable back covers and you should be able to upload a design on apple.co. :D

Pachimari

Hmm, it's just I can't get it repaired at the place I bought it anymore.

I guess I have to find some random repair shop.

Guys, were can I install Mavericks on my MacBook?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Those 'cheap' iPhone leaks are so shit.

They look ugly as fuck.
I am not fond of them either (mostly color selection) BUT remember the spy shots always look worse than correctly lot professional photos and the product in person. This happened with the iPhone 4 and 5 and they always look better in person/official marketing.

Dany

Banned
I remember liking the leaked photos of the iphone 4 when gizmo do ran them. It is still the best looking phone.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm. I assumed it would e like the iPod touches and have a white face for all shell colors except black.

ZeroAKA

The first page on my homescreen is completely blank except for the 4 icons at the bottom. It's kind of strange, but I like it.

hirokazu

now in color*

My only question is why is the face still black? They should have user-designable-replaceable back covers and you should be able to upload a design on apple.co. :D
This is Apple. They're not just gonna let anyone make their own designs and shit up Jony Ive's meticulous designs. It's a phone, son, this ain't some MySpace. You can already slap on a billion ugly ass cases if you want to shit it up. Replaceable back covers? What, are we regressing to some era of Nokia dumb phones? :p

hirokazu

But it only started acting like this on iOS 7. I think I'm gonna wait and see until the final release of iOS7 is on my phone.

Doesn't your country have mandatory warranty laws?

numble

Usually Apple has designated warranty service companies even if they don't have Apple Stores. Your iPhone should still be under warranty.

corn_fest

This is Apple. They're not just gonna let anyone make their own designs and shit up Jony Ive's meticulous designs. It's a phone, son, this ain't some MySpace. You can already slap on a billion ugly ass cases if you want to shit it up. Replaceable back covers? What, are we regressing to some era of Nokia dumb phones? :p

Eh, everyone said the same thing about user-chosen backgrounds on the iPhone at first. You never know. Though it does seem unlikely.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Doesn't your country have mandatory warranty laws?

Usually Apple has designated warranty service companies even if they don't have Apple Stores. Your iPhone should still be under warranty.

Updating a device to iOS 7 beta voids warranties actually, but if he can get it back down to iOS 6 and it still acts up he should be ok (unless they check the baseband which afaik is an iOS 7 only baseband at this point which remains behind after downgrading).

The new plastic iPhones do look ugly and do look like a massive step backwards, design-wise. But I do wonder if their cheap look is by design. Wild thought here, but maybe Apple wants to make a stark distinction between their high-end iPhones and the budget ones.

Why else wouldn't they go with aluminium when even the iPod Touch, the current lowest end of the iOS product family, has it? I think the current iPod Touch line is pretty nice looking and co-opting that design would have made for a nice looking phone. But that would probably be viewed as an alternative to the 5/5S rather than the cheap phone.

Apple probably also wants to get rid of the iPhone 4S in addition to the iPhone 4. I'm sure they'd like to get rid of any remaining iOS products without the Lightning port and put an end to the old iPhone screen aspect ratio as well.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Had an interesting springboard crash the other day on beta2..

Was posting a video to Instagram when my screen became unresponsive. Then all the colors started going super saturated and all my pixels started "corrupting" and turning green. The screen shut off and then rebooted to the apple screen. Took a few seconds and everything was back to normal.
Strange.

KtSlime

The new plastic iPhones do look ugly and do look like a massive step backwards, design-wise. But I do wonder if their cheap look is by design. Wild thought here, but maybe Apple wants to make a stark distinction between their high-end iPhones and the budget ones.

Why else wouldn't they go with aluminium when even the iPod Touch, the current lowest end of the iOS product family, has it? I think the current iPod Touch line is pretty nice looking and co-opting that design would have made for a nice looking phone. But that would probably be viewed as an alternative to the 5/5S rather than the cheap phone.

Apple probably also wants to get rid of the iPhone 4S in addition to the iPhone 4. I'm sure they'd like to get rid of any remaining iOS products without the Lightning port and put an end to the old iPhone screen aspect ratio as well.

Didn't know Apple announced a new phone.

Hattori

Banned
I just saw a video of iOS 7 seems really nice, I'm now thinking of getting an iPad Mini very soon. Should I wait for a new version or should I just pull the trigger now?

Pachimari

Guys, I wanna test out if my sleep button issue is software or hardware related.

How can I downgrade my iPhone 5 from iOS 7 b2 to iOS 6?

Pachimari

Put your device into DFU mode and then restore. iTunes will automatically download the newest non-beta firmware.

I can't put it into DFU mode as my sleep-button don't work (that's what I'm gonna test out on iOS 6). But I found iOS 6 and a guide online, so I'm gonna do it without DFU.

Will I lose my access to the iOS 7 beta (that I got here on NeoGAF) if I downgrade to iOS 6?

EDIT:
iTunes says it can't use that .ipsw file. =/

I have a GSM iPhone 5.

ramyeon

I can't put it into DFU mode as my sleep-button don't work (that's what I'm gonna test out on iOS 6). But I found iOS 6 and a guide online, so I'm gonna do it without DFU.

Will I lose my access to the iOS 7 beta (that I got here on NeoGAF) if I downgrade to iOS 6?
Nope, your UDID will still be registered to the developer's account so you'll be fine.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Alright.

Hmm, how come I can't downgrade? I'm restoring the .ipsw file but iTunes says it can't use that. =/

Wrong build? Get the build tha corresponds to your iPhone 5 model #. Check the back of you phone, near the bottom, you'll find the "Model A142X" signifier.

Pachimari

Thanks, though it doesn't matter anymore, as I have found out my sleep-button issue is hardware related. If I press the button at the edge of the button it turns off the screen every time.

glaurung

Is there any way to get into the iOS 7 beta when I'm not a developer?

Is it worth it? I mean, the actual release cannot be more than 60 days off now?

Top Bottom