• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

Jinroh

On my 5 it's really not very buggy and I don't think I could go back to 6.
You're lucky, on my Iphone 4S it's a disaster. Everything is slow and has sometimes nearly a one second delay, Safari, the camera and a lot of my apps keep crashing, mail doesn't fetch emails automatically and most of the times even not manually, there's still a bigger battery drain than IOS6, browsing the internet is very slow with safari, etc.

I wonder how it's possible it's so different from one phone to another.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Didn't know Apple announced a new phone.
Not yet, but the cheap iPhone seems like it's happening, and everyone expects a new flagship iPhone in fall.
Basically people are expecting the fall iPhone/iOS event will bring both the iPhone 5S and the so-called "iPhone mini" at this point. But like always, the rumor mill gets into gear a few months ahead of time so we still have a while before Apple confirms it themselves. Until then, salt grains should be taken liberally. It's the same cycle every event. A rumor pops up months ahead of time. People discuss it ad-nauseum. And it gets confirmed or denied by many people depending on the credibility of the sources. As it gets closer to the event though things start getting even more super confirmed as actual photos of leaked devices or videos start popping up for the Photoshop brigade to examine.

It's a fun ride really. But I never believe anything until it's shown on stage.

Mindwipe

Is there any way to get into the iOS 7 beta when I'm not a developer?

Is it worth it? I mean, the actual release cannot be more than 60 days off now?

I wouldn't do it on beta 2, but some of the later betas may well be considerably more stable. You honestly have little to lose when the Gold Master is released.

jts

...hate me...
iphone_5_specs_2.jpg

Giga-art_57845a.jpg

iphone5-case-2.jpg

Never forget.

But I'm still pretty sure this one is real.

LCfiner

On my 5 it's really not very buggy and I don't think I could go back to 6.

I would say it's buggy on the 5... I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who values a seamless experience.

When you double tap the home button to get to multitasking and then select a new app, does it crash half the time after selecting it (crash to apple logo, and reboot)?

Does the dock "blur" color sometimes get partially stuck with a flat horizontal block above the icons when changing wallpapers?

Does the background parallax suddenly break and icons shift down a few pixels? with the icon badges now placed too low on the icon?

I get that on my 5. it's expected as it's a dev preview. but I wouldn't say the release isn't buggy as shit.

Xrenity

It doesn't crash very often for me (and mostly not when app switching), and visual errors don't really bother me in a beta as long as it keeps functioning.

But it just looks so much better than 6 anyway so yeah... Love it. Can't wait for the next beta though which'll hopefully fix some more and have a better battery life.

But at the very least the current beta is very workable for me!

LCfiner

yes, it's workable. I agree

But I had to put that out there in case other people were thinking of jumping in early and not sure just how buggy it can be.

it can be very buggy. YMMV, of course.

Sex

Banned
7 is pretty much fine on my iPhone 5. A handful of crashes but nothing feels broken.

On iPad on the other hand it can flat out require reboots at time to be able to reaccess he multitasking menu after it decides to stop showing up.

Podcasts were still completely broken for me in beta 2. I had to switch to Downcast, which was a pain. Safari crashes now and again, there's the odd reset and sometimes I get stuck on a screen with my background and no icons. Overall, it's more stable than some of the previous betas of iOS I've tried.
That's all on my iPhone 5 though, it's pretty awful on my iPad 3. Really, really laggy. Hope that improves with beta 3.

Podcasts were still completely broken for me in beta 2. I had to switch to Downcast, which was a pain. Safari crashes now and again, there's the odd reset and sometimes I get stuck on a screen with my background and no icons. Overall, it's more stable than some of the previous betas of iOS I've tried.
That's all on my iPhone 5 though, it's pretty awful on my iPad 3. Really, really laggy. Hope that improves with beta 3.

Same. The iPad mini is not doing well lol,

Hoping Beta 3 fixes podcasts today so I don't have to use downcast anymore

Appleman

Download is sloooooooooooow. Could be my WiFi here though, I was hoping to have it installed when I took my lunch

EDIT: Much faster now, false alarm

Appleman

Running it now, don't notice much visually except that the status bar is pretty huge on the lockscreen

EDIT Actually, I'm crazy or the main fonts across the board are slightly different...

This is good.

Changes I've noticed:

• Parallax is more noticeable. There's a serious vertical tilt that I don't think I was seeing before.
  • Folder background color is now much closer to your background's color.
  • Status bar is bigger on the lockscreen. Goes back to normal when you're inside.
  • Some fonts use regular weight instead of Light now. Safari's address bar, top navigation text in apps, etc. Also, everything in Messages.
  • Pull to refresh spinner is more animated.
  • "Search" text is centered in pulldown search bars, and it has a darker background behind the text field.
  • They got rid of the ".com" button on the main Safari keyboard. Now it's a period. No more accidentally hitting that nearly useless button instead of spacebar.
  • I think there's a little more animation to the toggle switches now. There's a good fade/shrink effect I see in Clock's alarms.

Appleman

This is good.

Changes I've noticed:

• Parallax is more noticeable. There's a serious vertical tilt that I don't think I was seeing before.
  • Folder background color is now much closer to your background's color.
  • Status bar is bigger on the lockscreen. Goes back to normal when you're inside.
    [*]Some fonts use regular weight instead of Light now. Safari's address bar, top navigation text in apps, etc.

So I'm not crazy then, seems like regular weight throughout Messages too... Not sure how I feel about that.

Under General - Text Size what is the default supposed to be? Mine was one notch left of centre when I checked it just now but I can't remember if it was always like that

The blur effect has way more contrast now. Looks better, I think. It's less smeary rainbow and more bokeh.

The bolder text and a few thicker icons (in apps, not the app icons) looks really good compared to before. I think it brings it closer to looking "right" and structured instead of too light and disorganized like before.

Pachimari

Seems like they're using Helvetica Neue Light instead of UltraLight many places. The ".com" button has disappeared in Safari and monthly view in Calendar now shows dots at the days you have appointments.

From 9to5mac:

- Status Bar larger on Lock screen:
- Folders are more transparent:
- Several small UI and font tweaks to Notification Center:
- Calendar now shows which days you have events on:
- New Fonts in Weather app:
- Tweaked clock icon in Control Center:
- Music controls are redesigned:
- Mail has tweaked search bar
- Time on Lock Screen while playing music.
- Tweaked interface when clicking a key in Calculator.app
- Slight Game Center UI tweaks.
- New font in Settings.app.
- Tweaked UI for wallpaper chooser.
- New silent control in iPad Control Center
- New app icon loading UI for download apps:
- Slightly tweaked pull-to-refresh animation in Mail app.

Folder update is huge. Hated how they were way too white and frosted on all backgrounds. They now show the right colors.

Also the dock is more transparent. If you have a bright background it's basically see through which is a nice touch.

They also changed the panoramas for photos. Scrolling is slower and smoother, and photos get cropped at a certain point, only makes hem so wide.

Also fixed black only text for panoramas on the home screen. It's adjusting to white based on the background once more.

iPad and iPhone are running smooth.

PODCASTS works again!! Yes!

Jinroh

Ok that sucks, since I updated sliding the "sim locked" message doesn't lead me to the page to put the code to unlock it, neither does calling a random number.

My phone is stucked on sim locked. How can I unlock it?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
General look and feel changes are pretty great. Smoother all around, especially on the iPad Mini. Previous version was damn near unusable. iPhone 5 speed and animations are much peppier, and iPad Mini, while not smooth smooth, is a huge leap.

Some font changes are alright, Notification Center's drop down seems tweaked, lock screen numbers seem to fade quicker than before, which I'm very ok with. Lingering glowing pressed password buttons seems a bit risky.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Ok that sucks, since I updated sliding the "sim locked" message doesn't lead me to the page to put the code to unlock it, neither does calling a random number.

My phone is stucked on sim locked. How can I unlock it?

Re-insert the sim.

Biggest problem I've had with this beta is that my iPhone 5 keeps unlocking itself in my pocket (or typing sheer gibberish into the unlock code screen, eventually locking my phone up). The lockscreen unlock is *too* easy and too sensitive now.

I'm seriously hoping that beta 3 fixes this issue somehow.

Jinroh

Thanks, that fixed it.

General performances are much better, and it's way more stable. But the phone is very hot. It might be because of the update though.

SnakeXs

K one eyesore/visual bug is that if you pull down the Notification Center slightly, icon App name text gets a drop shadow. Weird.

SnakeXs

The shadows for the App names are there all the time if you have a light enough background.

Doesn't it switch to black text?

Yeah with a light background/dark text to drop shadow pops into play when pulling down NC.

Also, still no way to delete music by anything but song. I really hope they add a delete artist and/or delete album soon.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Biggest problem I've had with this beta is that my iPhone 5 keeps unlocking itself in my pocket (or typing sheer gibberish into the unlock code screen, eventually locking my phone up). The lockscreen unlock is *too* easy and too sensitive now.

I'm seriously hoping that beta 3 fixes this issue somehow.
Well there's this;

Fixed in Seed 3

• Passcode Lock and Auto-lock time settings are not always respected. Sometimes the device does not require a passcode when the settings indicate it should.

Top Bottom