• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

Sean

Banned
Believe me I've tried every which way, with each beta. May be a 'quirk' of some iOS device models. But I remain unconvinced it's not just people unaware their devices are registered already, registrations carry over. Are your devices new and not refurbs or anything like that? If so, what's the models? I also have a source at Apple who can look up if your device is actually registered if willing.

I'm 100% sure my devices weren't registered. The iPhone 5 and iPad mini were both released alongside/after iOS6 came out so there was absolutely zero reason for me to ever bother registering those UDID's (no beta to play with until now).

It took a very long time to update my devices - the progress bar didn't move for like 20 mins. So maybe that might've given you the impression that it froze or failed? But if that's not it, I guess it's just a weird YMMV thing.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Do any of you know what the "Documents & Data" pertains to in iOS 7? It's on the status bar in iTunes when you sync. I don't recall ever seeing it before, and it says 1.53 GB is taken up on my phone in that category.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Alright, starting a battery test now. gunna run it till it's powered out with regular use, nothing to purposefully stress it. At the most probably shoot some Vine footage.

lexi

Banned
I think I preferred the lighter fonts pretty much across the board. Some places it's okay, like Settings app, but Messages and lock screen don't have the elegance they did before.

KtSlime

Am I the only one who has come to like the new settings icon? It kind of reminds me of the antikythera device.

Also, do people think they should change mini icons in folders to be 23x23 pixels instead of 26x26 so they can pack in 12 per page?

NYR

I think I preferred the lighter fonts pretty much across the board. Some places it's okay, like Settings app, but Messages and lock screen don't have the elegance they did before.
Yep, messages looks really bad now.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one who has come to like the new settings icon? It kind of reminds me of the antikythera device.

Also, do people think they should change mini icons in folders to be 23x23 pixels instead of 26x26 so they can pack in 12 per page?
I think the gear teeth are too pointy.

ramyeon

Servers must be being smashed. I'm unable to get past the "Checking for update..." screen at all. Might try again later tonight.

Edit: Got it working and it seems like a general improvement besides the odd font changes. The status bar being enlarged on the lock screen is a really strange design choice that bewilders me. Doesn't look good at all.

hirokazu

It seems like they updated carrier settings for all carriers outside North America so that it displays '4G' instead of 'LTE.' North America seems to be the exception only because they need to carry on the lie that is identifying AT&T's HSDPA+ network as '4G' so they need to differentiate it from LTE.

Servers must be being smashed. I'm unable to get past the "Checking for update..." screen at all. Might try again later tonight.

Edit: Got it working and it seems like a general improvement besides the odd font changes. The status bar being enlarged on the lock screen is a really strange design choice that bewilders me. Doesn't look good at all.
The status bar was enlarged on the lock screen in beta 1 as well. Several other things have reverted to the way they were in beta 1 after being changed in beta 2. It's a bit strange, but I guess they're still experimenting to see what should stick.

hirokazu

So I just noticed this in the developer seed notes:

In iOS 7, Find My iPhone and Bookmarks toggles are no longer supported on secondary iCloud accounts. When you update your device with either of these options enabled on a secondary iCloud account, they will be turned off with no user notification.

Workaround: Set up the primary iCloud account via Settings/iCloud and then enable Find My iPhone or Bookmarks.

This is not good news at all! :(

Currently, I set up all my family's devices to each user's own iCloud account as the primary account and use it for all features except Find My iPhone. Then I set up my own iCloud account as a secondary account solely for Find My iPhone. Every single device is tracked from the same account and if any of them goes missing, we can just use any other device to find the whereabouts or make changes.

Activation Lock is a long overdue feature, but it sucks that they had to make that change to do it. I don't even see how that change is even necessary, to be honest. It just gives users less options.

hirokazu

It's improved somewhat for me if I move the dynamic text size all way the down to the 2nd smallest. Though still a hint of the text being too bold. I hope they at least include an option to restore the original look.

I also don't like that they changed hyperlinks and data detectors to just blue links. It's kinda hard to see inside the blue text bubbles. The underlined text in the previous betas was great and it was obvious what their function was.

Appleman

I also don't like that they changed hyperlinks and data detectors to just blue links. It's kinda hard to see inside the blue text bubbles. The underlined text in the previous betas was great and it was obvious what their function was.

Since he blue text bubbles are only for messages you send, I don't think it's a huge deal. You'd more often be clicking items that the other party sends

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
It's performing very well. Only one device crash in 5 hours. That beats the usual 4-5 in the same amount of time during 2.

lexi

Banned
The one thing that's been annoying me about iOS 7 is the delay it has in receiving touch input after virtually every animation. I appreciate it's beta, but I hope it's weeded out eventually as it's been consistent between betas 1, 2 and 3.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I guess lock screen music/podcast info operates very differently now since 6. I'm just used to double-click on the home button to navigate on the lock screen but I notice that no longer has function. Swiping CC up on the lock screen is what they want us to do now, right? I'm just glad the time isn't randomly disappearing on the lock screen like in the last beta.

GWX

iPad 4th gen here; impressions of Beta 3: much less lag, feels pretty smooth. App Store crashes sometimes when searching, and Photos app crashes whenever I choose an album in Album view (duh). Apps which crashed when opened still crash in this seed. Info bar (the one that shows wi-fi, time and battery - I don't know the right name for it) is still a little crazy: it just changes orientation according to its mood. Dynamic wallpapers still need a lot of work, as does the multitasking interface. Still, much improved, and I can't wait for the next seed.

ramyeon

I guess lock screen music/podcast info operates very differently now since 6. I'm just used to double-click on the home button to navigate on the lock screen but I notice that no longer has function. Swiping CC up on the lock screen is what they want us to do now, right? I'm just glad the time isn't randomly disappearing on the lock screen like in the last beta.
On my iPhone 5 on Beta 3 the music controls are on the lock screen by default, pressing home once replaces them with the time and then they won't come back until I unlock and lock again.

On beta 1 it was the time by default and then double tap the home button for music controls as it always has been.

I think it's just a bug in beta 2 and 3.

ramyeon

Thank heavens the skinny font was way too skinny.
In places, yes. In others it looked better. Worst offender is Safari in Beta 3. The address in the bar looks too bold and sticks out like a sore thumb. Everything's less subtle now, they even increased the size of the loading bar indicator in Safari, it just doesn't look as sleek anymore.

Anson225

i really love the light font
wonder why they changed it - did a lot of people have difficulties reading the words?
some apps are ok with the current font, e.g. settings
but apps like messages are just weird
hope they will continue to iron out this

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I hope they get rid of the top bar with the page name in safari. It's like they know people want to go full screen but they keep that useless bar there to mock us.

Everything was going good but I did just encounter a bug where my phone would not wake up no matter how many times I mashed the home or sleep buttons. Hard reset seems to have fixed it though.

numble

I liked being able to jump to apps I had used 3-5 apps ago on the multitask bar without having to swipe. This new system only let's you see 2 apps immediately.

I agree with the dislike for font changes. This new beta loses some of the elegance from before. Here's one screenshot I took to compare it with before:
ios-7-font-changes.jpg

Same with Safari:
ios-7-thicker-safari-loading-bar.jpg

Have some more shots here:
http://iosguides.net/ios-7-beta-3/

Agreed. The skinnier font was much more aesthetically refined, while the newer bolder font looks just workmanlike in comparison.

Plus the iOS 7 logo doesn't make much sense anymore....

Screen_Shot_2013-06-26_at_12.42.12_PM.png

Thinner fonts was kind of a main attraction for me, sad as it sounds. Hope someone over at Apple HQ just flipped the wrong switch or something, because any more concessions to iOS 6 and its dinosaur-like visual sensibilities would only further depress me.

Top Bottom