• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

Fuchsdh

Typography expert Erik Spiekermann criticized iOS7's thin fonts, and I bet that made Ive feel bad.

ayQfyW6BuEhbGSF4JEA8l5zfwBwR1zOJjOg8F9THcyJ8dDXguMFRu9mENNqh8LQc5p7p3hYEgZkB5Y1stsNjftvHmPmlo58X8vyaB_kDP5WgWaiBcXEatz22x-TvJRIusHnrUg1vmLrURYw1gkHiz2m7R_2JuCPfwEbjkqpTtyn_NAmAN5Ts5Wr4lHv4JHi70

Only if you give two licks about what Spiekermann has to say.

hirokazu

People complaining that the clock wasn't shown on the lockscreen when playing music, doesn't your screen do this? Mine does..
YrBCNBp.gif

(fades between them)
Just noticed it does actually do this with a single press of the home button. I've been double-pressing as before and nothing happens. This is probably what everyone else is doing wrong too.

Fuchsdh

Well, Spiekermann and Bruno Maag rarely agree, but I think their hatred for Helvetica is common ground

http://blog.webink.com/titans-of-typography-bruno-maag/

And I think the "in-all-cases, hatred" of Helvetica is bizarre and laughable. Like the argument it sucks because it's not "modern"? Who the hell cares--what matters is if it's effective or not. If you can make that argument without resorting to hyperbole, then I might listen.

As for his own faces, I think his Aktiv Grotesk "Helvetica Killer" is kind of ungainly in minute details and doesn't look as nice to me in lighter weights. I do use Aller as one of my go-to type choices for my clients alongside Gotham, Helvetica Neue, and Lato, but arguing that your face is better than Helvetica seems like a sort of asinine thing to do.

(As for Univers, it's a mixed bag for me. Some of the letterforms are nicer but I prefer the As, Rs, and Qs of Helvetica much more. To me it definitely works better in compressed weights.)

Link

The Autumn Wind
Just noticed it does actually do this with a single press of the home button. I've been double-pressing as before and nothing happens. This is probably what everyone else is doing wrong too.
I always wondered why it required a double-click when single-click had no function on the lock screen.

KtSlime

Chinese handwriting recognition is now multi-character, at least on iPad:
http://i.imgur.com/SJsewHel.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Have they added Japanese handwriting recognition yet? Or added Japanese 国字 to the Chinese set of recognized characters?

Terrell

And I think the "in-all-cases, hatred" of Helvetica is bizarre and laughable. Like the argument it sucks because it's not "modern"? Who the hell cares--what matters is if it's effective or not. If you can make that argument without resorting to hyperbole, then I might listen.

As for his own faces, I think his Aktiv Grotesk "Helvetica Killer" is kind of ungainly in minute details and doesn't look as nice to me in lighter weights. I do use Aller as one of my go-to type choices for my clients alongside Gotham, Helvetica Neue, and Lato, but arguing that your face is better than Helvetica seems like a sort of asinine thing to do.

(As for Univers, it's a mixed bag for me. Some of the letterforms are nicer but I prefer the As, Rs, and Qs of Helvetica much more. To me it definitely works better in compressed weights.)
And then there's the problem of there being no such thing as a one-size-fits-all font. If it were true and one existed, we wouldn't have Helvetica variations.
If I recall correctly, the reason Helvetica is so prominent is most other fonts do not convey the same level of elegance across all languages, especially those that are heavy with punctuation and specialized letters.

I personally hate the font change in beta 3, it works against every other design element and just looks unseemly. Leave this gross font to the non-Retina devices and give me back the ultra-thin.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
My Music app loves to crash when I try to Delete a playlist or a song from a playlist. This is irritating.

KtSlime

I'm not using iOS 7, but I don't understand the complaints about the music controls always being present on the lock screen, how do they accidentally get pressed in the pocket, don't you guys hit the power/sleep button before putting your phone away? Do the controls still activate with the screen off? That sounds like a bug if that's the case.

I'm not using iOS 7, but I don't understand the complaints about the music controls always being present on the lock screen, how do they accidentally get pressed in the pocket, don't you guys hit the power/sleep button before putting your phone away? Do the controls still activate with the screen off? That sounds like a bug if that's the case.

I think a lot of it comes down to the current beta having a habit of not responding to hardware buttons. The sleep/wake button in particular doesn't quite work all of the time and I've caught myself hitting controls in my pocket.

numble

Have they added Japanese handwriting recognition yet? Or added Japanese 国字 to the Chinese set of recognized characters?

I don't see a Japanese handwriting recognition keyboard, and I'm not sure what 国字 is, but the Traditional Chinese Handwriting Recognition keyboard seems to be able to recognize what this page purports to be Japanese-unique kanji (at least the first 5 or so I tested):http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110321183930AABeK0X

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
There are some songs that are apparently on my phone via the Cloud, or at least I assume it's the Cloud, and I can't get them off. Any suggestions? Or is this a bug?

KtSlime

I think a lot of it comes down to the current beta having a habit of not responding to hardware buttons. The sleep/wake button in particular doesn't quite work all of the time and I've caught myself hitting controls in my pocket.

Ah, well hopefully they make them more responsive with future releases. I imagine that could be annoying, having the phone not sleep when you intend it to.

I don't see a Japanese handwriting recognition keyboard, and I'm not sure what 国字 is, but the Traditional Chinese Handwriting Recognition keyboard seems to be able to recognize what this page purports to be Japanese-unique kanji (at least the first 5 or so I tested):http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110321183930AABeK0X

国字 (kokuji) are what the Japanese typically call their unique made up kanji characters. Thanks for checking that out for me. Looked at the list and many of those characters were ones I had issues with in the past when using the Traditional Chinese Handwriting input. Glad it seems they added them.

hirokazu

Single click activates the screen so you can unlock it :p

But you had to single-click, and then double-click to get the controls before.

I think before they were super careful about accidental input. Jony Ive doesn't seem to give a fuck though.

I mean, it would make sense for single click to display the time first and another single click to show the controls now to prevent accidental input.

Even worse is the incoming call screen, since there's no input required to bring it up. Before you had to slide up to access the decline and send text features, now they're just an accidental tap away!

I've unintentionally declined a call and sent a text message while getting the phone out of my pocket because of that! Dumb dumb dumb.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

hirokazu

I just tested the handwriting input on iPhone 5 and it allows you to write multiple characters at a time too. I wonder if this was in older betas and nobody really noticed until now. :p

hirokazu

The easiest test case is this one:

読

Uses a simplification unique to Japanese.
That character works, but it exists in Chinese as well, doesn't it? Even if it might not be used.

Still, using one of the Chinese keyboards to input Japanese is not ideal since Japanese uses the simplified form of some characters, the traditional form for others, and some pretty sure there's some characters that are simplified from the traditional Chinese, but not to the extent of the simplified Chinese form.

I don't know why Apple hasn't implemented handwriting for Japanese. I'd think it be pretty trivial, they just have to modify it to use the same auto suggestion as the existing Japanese keyboards and also to recognise kana.

Ah, well hopefully they make them more responsive with future releases. I imagine that could be annoying, having the phone not sleep when you intend it to.

Yeah, just a bug. To be expected this early on. I'm actually surprised how usable betas 2 and 3 have been considering the amount of work that has gone on under the hood.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That character works, but it exists in Chinese as well, doesn't it? Even if it might not be used.
Oh, nevermind, works in iOS 6 already. Remember testing it in prior versions and it didn't work then pretty much gave up on the OS level character recognition when Japanese-specific recognition was made part of the Daijisen app.

Blackhead

Redarse
I always wondered why it required a double-click when single-click had no function on the lock screen.

I can't believe I was trained to double-click because of this clown.
Double-click home button was great UI at the time. First, of course, no accidental button presses in your pocket. Second, and just as important, it was consistent with the rest of the OS. Early iPhone OS versions used double-click to bring up iPod controls on the homescreen and in apps. Once you learned the shortcut once you'd expect it to work the same on the lockscreen - and it did. Even after the app switcher bar took over the double-click, the music controls were still hidden in there.

This Ive single-click shortcut has no reference to any part of the UI and makes much less sense in comparison to the old way.

If you have an iPhone 4S or 5, iOS 7 uses the new Bluetooth LE/SMART protocol which doesn't drain resources unless you actually use BT features.

edit:

People complaining that the clock wasn't shown on the lockscreen when playing music, doesn't your screen do this? Mine does..
YrBCNBp.gif

(fades between them)

Also neat glitch for temporary clutter freedom from stock apps:
http://www.cultofmac.com/234989/ios-7-glitch-makes-stock-apps-vanish-video/

Ugh that lockscreen is a clusterfuck; too much functionality and visual elements inelegantly crammed together :/

LCfiner

If you get a notification, the screen turns on and it's possible for an input to be registered.

regarding LED colours. Maybe instead of colours, there was one white LED and it lit up in a pattern matching your custom vibration pattern that you've set for a specific notification.

Nicktendo86

If you get a notification, the screen turns on and it's possible for an input to be registered.

regarding LED colours. Maybe instead of colours, there was one white LED and it lit up in a pattern matching your custom vibration pattern that you've set for a specific notification.

On stock android the default LED colour is white. You can install an app called lite flow and you can then customise the colours to your liknig, even chanding the pulse speed to match the vibration patturn as you mention. The LED is a very useful thing, not sure why anyone would be against it. I've always thought it would be good on iPhones to made the little rounded square in the home button the LED.

Sex

Banned
I hate how notifications turn your screen on. It makes no sense, nobody is staring at their phone waiting for the screen to turn on, all that happens is I get a mail and somehow in my pocket accidental touches are registered which means either my music skips or I somehow end up keeping the screen active/finding a way to pocket email people.

I know you can turn off notifications showing on the lock screen, but that's a kinda shitty workaround because I do want to see my notifications when I wake the phone without having to unlock it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Think you guys will like this: iOS 7 now allows purchasing of 50mb+ sized apps while not on WiFi for queued downloading. :)

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Tunesmiff/status/354937183985086464[/tweet]

Sex

Banned
I've never understood why they even have a limit. They don't let you download a 50mb app but I can stream hours of iTunes Match music over 3G no problem.

LCfiner

it's stupid carriers.

I like how I can tether the ipad to the iphone and use the iphone's LTE to download a 1 GB app on the ipad but I can't do it on the iphone itself.

ramyeon

I hate how notifications turn your screen on. It makes no sense, nobody is staring at their phone waiting for the screen to turn on, all that happens is I get a mail and somehow in my pocket accidental touches are registered which means either my music skips or I somehow end up keeping the screen active/finding a way to pocket email people.

I know you can turn off notifications showing on the lock screen, but that's a kinda shitty workaround because I do want to see my notifications when I wake the phone without having to unlock it.
I like it. Oftentimes I have my phone sitting on my desk on silent and the screen lighting up in the corner of my eye is the only way to know if I receive something. Usually I miss the vibration when it's on my desk.

I've never had an issue with it when the phone has been in my pocket either.

Top Bottom