• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

glaurung

I was afraid of this change-up all the way back when they first showed iOS7.

The sad truth is that on retina displays, the sexy sleek thin typefaces look gorgeous. On a regular non-retina display, they're hardly legible. Plus Apple still seeks to please all their ease of access agendas and the thin fonts are not that hot with poor eyesight.

I for one wish they'd go back to the thinner variant.

lexi

Banned
Hoping they at least provide the option. Everything is way too bold and I say this as someone who doesn't have great eyesight.

Appleman

I was afraid of this change-up all the way back when they first showed iOS7.

The sad truth is that on retina displays, the sexy sleek thin typefaces look gorgeous. On a regular non-retina display, they're hardly legible. Plus Apple still seeks to please all their ease of access agendas and the thin fonts are not that hot with poor eyesight.

I for one wish they'd go back to the thinner variant.

But there's only two non retina devices that even support iOS7. Surely they could just make those versions have the heavier font

artist

Banned
For those of you that hate the new text, just go to general > accessibility and turn 'bold text' off. Voila!
It's not a case of bold versus regular, they've switched fonts.

Beta 2: Helvetica Ultra Light
Beta 3: Helvetica Neue Regular

Have they fixed the thing were you can't press the button to accept a network security cert? That by itself forced me back to ios6 after beta 1.

jts

...hate me...
iPad mini + iPhone 5 both with iOS 7 betas. No UDID reg. FYI.

Also, I went with beta 2 on the iPhone for full UltraLight appreciation. It's a piece of history after all. Will probably update later today.

Digging it so much, and really what has been said it's true. Photos and even videos don't do it justice.

Slightly concerned on how it gives the A5 a run for its money.

Also they have to fix some low-res imagery on the "icons fly to the home screen" (and vice-versa) animation(s). Really sticks out.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Also they have to fix some low-res imagery on the "icons fly to the home screen" (and vice-versa) animation(s). Really sticks out.
New icons for ios7 must be 120x120 probably to help with that a bit.

Does anyone know if parallax is the only thing that's disabled/changed when you switch the 'reduce motion' in accessibility? I've noticed that it now properly un-zooms background image if you enable reduce motion, so you see full image as you've set it.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Any battery reports thus far? Seems like mine isn't leaking like a sieve as of yet. I'm happy.

iOS 7 Beta Suggests iWork, iLife iOS Apps May Soon Be Free

A welcome screen discovered in the iOS 7 beta suggests that Apple's iWork and iLife iOS applications may be available for free when the OS launches this fall, according to German site ifun

appleapps.jpg

The font change is great. In fact I hope they change the home screen font weight as well. Helvetica Neue Light for anything other than titles sucks.

edgefusion

Is it just me or is there a stronger shadow under text on the home screen now? Still not quite enough to be useful, but more.

SuperPac

I like the thicker line in Safari/Messages to show the page load or sending status. Before I could hardly tell if it was reloading or what.

flyover

Typography expert Erik Spiekermann criticized iOS7's thin fonts, and I bet that made Ive feel bad.

I love the "they don't read, they only look/see surfaces" bit. That was exact problem with the original betas. Beautiful, but not nearly as readable.

That said, for some reason, I liked the thinner font in Messages and the Safari address bar. Everywhere else though, I think it's better this way.

Treefrog

For labels and short text the thinner font looks really good. Maybe keep it for those and only use the thicker one for things you actually have to read.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
No question about it, ultra light font for normal text is simply a design wankery. There's no case to make for it other than "it looks cool". It doesn't take a professional typographer to tell you that, all it takes is an average 50-something who's started to lose eyesight a bit. It's not like Apple at all to make something like that.

Majine

Banned
When I first installed iOS7 beta I thought the phone got hot pretty fast. Turns out, they turned on bluetooth for me in the process. Gee thanks.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
What do you mean by "current bluetooth"? It cooled down after I turned it off.

If you have an iPhone 4S or 5, iOS 7 uses the new Bluetooth LE/SMART protocol which doesn't drain resources unless you actually use BT features.

edit:

People complaining that the clock wasn't shown on the lockscreen when playing music, doesn't your screen do this? Mine does..
YrBCNBp.gif

(fades between them)

Also neat glitch for temporary clutter freedom from stock apps:
http://www.cultofmac.com/234989/ios-7-glitch-makes-stock-apps-vanish-video/

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Eh. I liked it thinner. I'm viewing this image on my iPhone to see how it will look and the thinner text looks better on Retina to my eyes. I can see the bold being important on a non-Retina display, but on Retina, I like the thinner text. I also notice that the taskbar thing at the top has smaller elements all around on iOS 7 vs. iOS 6.

Edit: Also, looks like Mavericks is also updated. Beta 3 time!

KtSlime

I liked the older setting app better too. The new one's grey looks too blue(probably just optical illusion though).

Updated to dp3 mavericks. Looks like they may have changed the black background for pop up menus and the white for modal sheets. Unbelievable but it runs even smoother than dp2. Fastest OS to ever run on my MacBook (it started out with Leopard preinstalled).

Sullichin

Definitely think the thicker fonts look better overall. But in e-mail, the multi-colored message history looks even worse than before with the thick font.

everything has been much better in beta 3 until right now, where my phone refuses to respond to anything. doesn't turn on, doesn't charge, doesn't show up in itunes. anyone know what's going on?

Appleman

If you have an iPhone 4S or 5, iOS 7 uses the new Bluetooth LE/SMART protocol which doesn't drain resources unless you actually use BT features.

edit:

People complaining that the clock wasn't shown on the lockscreen when playing music, doesn't your screen do this? Mine does..
YrBCNBp.gif

(fades between them)

Also neat glitch for temporary clutter freedom from stock apps:
http://www.cultofmac.com/234989/ios-7-glitch-makes-stock-apps-vanish-video/

It should definitely hide the controls by default though, my leg has skipped songs now too many times when a notification lights the screen up

Ristlager

I am on beta 2, without developer account. Can I upgrade ota? I do not get to access my imac for a couple of days, so need to be sure before I start...

jstripes

Banned
Notifications seem a bit smaller, and finally have an "X" to dismiss them.

iOS 7 notifications have been way too obtrusive up until this point.

Synless

This update borked my iMessages, I can no longer send them as they all fail and I have to send regular texts instead.

Top Bottom