• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

Sex

Banned
I like it. Oftentimes I have my phone sitting on my desk on silent and the screen lighting up in the corner of my eye is the only way to know if I receive something. Usually I miss the vibration when it's on my desk.

I've never had an issue with it when the phone has been in my pocket either.

I didn't until iOS 7. I don't know what it is but somehow I keep unlocking the phone and activating controls while I'm cycling. I finish and see I've lost 10% battery more than usual because the screen has managed to be on the whole time.

KtSlime

You can ask Siri, "What's happening?"

How does she respond when asked?

Oh, nevermind, works in iOS 6 already. Remember testing it in prior versions and it didn't work then pretty much gave up on the OS level character recognition when Japanese-specific recognition was made part of the Daijisen app.

That's when I turned mine off as well. It looks like they have made some improvements, adding characters like 畑 that didn't work in the past. It is quite annoying having to switch between keyboards to put in okurigana though.

I hate how notifications turn your screen on. It makes no sense, nobody is staring at their phone waiting for the screen to turn on, all that happens is I get a mail and somehow in my pocket accidental touches are registered which means either my music skips or I somehow end up keeping the screen active/finding a way to pocket email people.

I know you can turn off notifications showing on the lock screen, but that's a kinda shitty workaround because I do want to see my notifications when I wake the phone without having to unlock it.

I like it. Oftentimes I have my phone sitting on my desk on silent and the screen lighting up in the corner of my eye is the only way to know if I receive something. Usually I miss the vibration when it's on my desk.

I've never had an issue with it when the phone has been in my pocket either.

It seems to me, one solution Apple could implement is to test the proximity sensor whenever the iPhone decides to display a message, and if it is blocked, then to not turn on the screen and digitizer.

GWX

Does anyone know if the apps are still limited to 10-minute downloads of content inside of them? Because that shit was ridiculous.

Mindwipe

Does anyone know if the apps are still limited to 10-minute downloads of content inside of them? Because that shit was ridiculous.

The background downloading API has been completely changed, but apps will need to be rewritten do use the new system.

On accidental tapping - it's far too sensitive in iOS7 as is. I'd happily see the music controls require a second tap of the home button as it was on iOS6, and I'd welcome the control center only being accessible after the phone had been unlocked period, to be honest.

Appleman

But you had to single-click, and then double-click to get the controls before.

I think before they were super careful about accidental input. Jony Ive doesn't seem to give a fuck though.

I mean, it would make sense for single click to display the time first and another single click to show the controls now to prevent accidental input.

Even worse is the incoming call screen, since there's no input required to bring it up. Before you had to slide up to access the decline and send text features, now they're just an accidental tap away!

I've unintentionally declined a call and sent a text message while getting the phone out of my pocket because of that! Dumb dumb dumb.

Yeah, this whole aspect is a clusterfuck. iOS 6 was crazy refined for this kind of thing. Hopefully they can change it by release, but how could they overlook the obvious function of those slides when redesigning?

I also hate how the slide to power off bar doesn't have any motion or anything when you slide across it.

LCfiner

Yeah, this whole aspect is a clusterfuck. iOS 6 was crazy refined for this kind of thing. Hopefully they can change it by release, but how could they overlook the obvious function of those slides when redesigning?

I also hate how the slide to power off bar doesn't have any motion or anything when you slide across it.

uuggghhh. thhiiiiiissssss. it's so disconcerting not having any visual feedback for that.

And I think the "slide to answer call" bar is like that too?

I need some sort of feedback. doesn't nee to be draggable handle like before but there should be some cue. a color/saturation change across the bar or something.

Double-click home button was great UI at the time. First, of course, no accidental button presses in your pocket. Second, and just as important, it was consistent with the rest of the OS. Early iPhone OS versions used double-click to bring up iPod controls on the homescreen and in apps. Once you learned the shortcut once you'd expect it to work the same on the lockscreen - and it did. Even after the app switcher bar took over the double-click, the music controls were still hidden in there

I always avoided it cause it was a home button destroyer. I seriously don't know a single person that doesn't have an iPhone 4 with a broken home button and is forced to use that stupid ass on-screen circle. To this day, I still avoid pressing the home button on my iPad. Thank god for the gestures.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Slide to power off does have feedback. The areas of the screen above the slider and below the Cancel bar fade to black as you slide. I thought it was an elegant solution.

I've been getting tons of accidental unlocks/button presses/key presses in my pocket since switching to iOS 7. I wish it weren't so much easier to do the unlock slide now, because it seems like there's a chance of it happening pretty much anytime a notification shows up on my lock screen.

Fox1304

I've been getting tons of accidental unlocks/button presses/key presses in my pocket since switching to iOS 7. I wish it weren't so much easier to do the unlock slide now, because it seems like there's a chance of it happening pretty much anytime a notification shows up on my lock screen.
Exactly. Lots of problems with that for me too.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
On accidental tapping - it's far too sensitive in iOS7 as is. I'd happily see the music controls require a second tap of the home button as it was on iOS6, and I'd welcome the control center only being accessible after the phone had been unlocked period, to be honest.
I don't mind having Control Center and Notification Center being available on the lock screen, but I think they should be coupled with the music controls in that all of that stuff is only available after double-clicking Home. Single-click is too much of a risk for accidental activation as was mentioned and is the reason it was double in the first place. The only things on the lock screen that should be usable from a single-click are things that require a swipe action. Anything else is too accidentally activated. Those arrows on the top and bottom would also only appear after a double-click if you ask me.

Anything that will keep me from accidentally doing things in my pocket. Putting controls that can be clicked without gesture on the Lock Screen defeats the purpose of a Lock Screen in the first place and I never understood why Android users loved to put icons there so much. You'll be accidentally launching your email and browser and phone all the time. No wonder people still pocket dial in this day and age.

SuperPac

I don't mind having Control Center and Notification Center being available on the lock screen, but I think they should be coupled with the music controls in that all of that stuff is only available after double-clicking Home. Single-click is too much of a risk for accidental activation as was mentioned and is the reason it was double in the first place. The only things on the lock screen that should be usable from a single-click are things that require a swipe action. Anything else is too accidentally activated. Those arrows on the top and bottom would also only appear after a double-click if you ask me.

Anything that will keep me from accidentally doing things in my pocket. Putting controls that can be clicked without gesture on the Lock Screen defeats the purpose of a Lock Screen in the first place and I never understood why Android users loved to put icons there so much. You'll be accidentally launching your email and browser and phone all the time. No wonder people still pocket dial in this day and age.

I've not had a pocket-dial or pocket-anything on iOS7 yet but I have used the hell out of control center and would not want Apple to make me double-click the home button before they appear. You can turn off Control and Notification Center from the lock screen if you don't like them to be accessible there.

The background downloading API has been completely changed, but apps will need to be rewritten do use the new system.

Oh shit, really? Are they actually going to allow genuine background downloading finally?

KtSlime

It would be nice if it slid over a black/blank screen. Giving it the appearance it is off. Seems like a pretty obvious visual cue.

Oh shit, really? Are they actually going to allow genuine background downloading finally?

It's had genuine background downloading for years now, it's just in the past been on a timer. Now it is going to be enqueued for timesharing of the radio.

Junior Mint: My iPhone 4 button works the same as the day I got it (at launch). My iPad button on the other hand doesn't like to respond at times.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Yeah, no longer timer based but frequency of use based, the OS figures out what you use and when you are likely to use it and reserves resources accordingly. A good example of this would be a RSS feed app being used frequently at around 10:00 in the morning every day, the OS then 'schedules' that app to refresh it's feeds prior to 10:00 in the morning so that you don't have to do that when you open up the app yourself.

This can be managed per-app basis in the OS Settings as well, not the scheduling bits but if an app should be background managed by the OS or not.

A similar sort of management applies to the new Automatic App Updates feature as well. This is however not per-app configured, but an "all apps will auto update or none" setting in the Store settings next to the Automatic Downloads of new Apps bought on other devices etc.

Larson

Banned
I hope that somebody can help me.

I have tried to update to IOS 7 Beta 2, but everytime i have tried, it stops at the apple loading screen. I am furious. but i have now rebooted my iphone once again, and installed IOS 7 but now i have a new problem. i try to recover my security copy from itunes, but everytime i try that it goes back to the hallo menu like my iphone was brand new. It works if i use icloud, but the icloud save is like a month old so i will lose so much, any tips will help.

jts

...hate me...
I hope that somebody can help me.

I have tried to update to IOS 7 Beta 2, but everytime i have tried, it stops at the apple loading screen. I am furious. but i have now rebooted my iphone once again, and installed IOS 7 but now i have a new problem. i try to recover my security copy from itunes, but everytime i try that it goes back to the hallo menu like my iphone was brand new. It works if i use icloud, but the icloud save is like a month old so i will lose so much, any tips will help.

I think that iTunes might have created a new backup as your phone connected freshly after the install, so there's a blank backup... and there should be a slightly older backup with all your stuff (but god knows how iTunes manages the old backups).

That happened with me as I installed iOS 7 on my devices. I had to make sure I selected the right backups and not the newer ones. iTunes even asked me "there's a more recent backup, u sure etc" with 2 options to select from, I had to choose the "older" option.

I hope it helps and that iTunes preserved your true backup. In these cases I'm really fucking redundant, I make sure to make new iTunes and iCloud backups (in the past I would even duplicate the iTunes backup folder and move it somewhere else to make sure the fucker doesn't mess with it).

KtSlime

How stable is OS X Mavericks to run as the main OS for my macbook?

It's pretty stable. No crashes yet. There is a bug in Transmission (if you use it) that causes it to leak ram like a sieve, and MplayerX has mixed results for people on DP3. If you don't use either of those, I imagine it will work fine.

Larson

Banned
I hope it helps and that iTunes preserved your true backup. In these cases I'm really fucking redundant, I make sure to make new iTunes and iCloud backups (in the past I would even duplicate the iTunes backup folder and move it somewhere else to make sure the fucker doesn't mess with it).

So iTunes have just fucked me? or is it possible to use the security update that i have done. My iCloud save is a month old. If i lose a month of important stuff, i am going to cry. Seriously. Please god (Neogaf) help me!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've not had a pocket-dial or pocket-anything on iOS7 yet but I have used the hell out of control center and would not want Apple to make me double-click the home button before they appear. You can turn off Control and Notification Center from the lock screen if you don't like them to be accessible there.
How about a compromise. If you press Power it shows right away. If you press Home you need to double click. I mean I'm sure some people have accidentally hit home while the phone was in their pocket. At least this way it would be safe? Maybe an option. I don't really care anymore. Not like the Home button is protruded out from the face. It's concave so you can't accidentally hit it. Eh. I don't care. It'll all work out by release day.

jts

...hate me...
So iTunes have just fucked me? or is it possible to use the security update that i have done. My iCloud save is a month old. If i lose a month of important stuff, i am going to cry. Seriously. Please god (Neogaf) help me!
What's your computer OS?

Then I can help you find your backups folder to check if you're sol or not.

Jordan

Not sure whether this has been posted or not, but i found this yesterday and it is what I always wanted.

mvV1GvW.png
4x7Lo5D.png

g3IGfKl.jpg

I know screenshots don't really do it any justice but I don't have anything to take a photo of it on the screen.

I will get a screenshot of comparison at some point later.

Edit - Comparison added.

Blackhead

Redarse
^^^
Yeah that Dynamic Type is the most interesting UI thing to come out of iOS7. Eager to see how all the iOS developers who boasted pixel perfect layouts will work around this...

I always avoided it cause it was a home button destroyer. I seriously don't know a single person that doesn't have an iPhone 4 with a broken home button and is forced to use that stupid ass on-screen circle. To this day, I still avoid pressing the home button on my iPad. Thank god for the gestures.

Does the Control Center on the lockscreen have the music controls?

Jordan

^^^
Yeah that Dynamic Type is the most interesting UI thing to come out of iOS7. Eager to see how all the iOS developers who boasted pixel perfect layouts will work around this...

Does the Control Center on the lockscreen have the music controls?

I always hated how big everything seemed, there was always ways to make it even bigger but never any smaller. I don't need my text to be so large, yes I'm blind and have to wear glasses otherwise I can't see it if it's next to my face, but there's no need for it to be so damn large on my screen. Give me space to read previous messages etc.

RedAssedApe

Banned
First time using ios 7. My phone seems to shut down randomly and I end up having to do power+home restart to get it back. Is anyone else having this issue?

Was almost late to work because my phone had shutdown and I use it for an alarm lol

Seems the phone gets toastier than normal sometimes. So is it maybe overheating due to some background task or something or known issue?

iphone 4 on at&t and registered udid through a pal's developer account

First time using ios 7. My phone seems to shut down randomly and I end up having to do power+home restart to get it back. Is anyone else having this issue?

Was almost late to work because my phone had shutdown and I use it for an alarm lol

Seems the phone gets toastier than normal sometimes. So is it maybe overheating due to some background task or something or known issue?

iphone 4 on at&t and registered udid through a pal's developer account

Someone in this thread pointed out to me that turning off background app refresh can help with battery life and heat. I've also had to turn of LTE sometimes but not since I upgraded to beta 3 but this doesn't really help you on an iPhone 4.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Someone in this thread pointed out to me that turning off background app refresh can help with battery life and heat. I've also had to turn of LTE sometimes but not since I upgraded to beta 3 but this doesn't really help you on an iPhone 4.

Yea I actually had background app refresh turned off earlier today. The battery isn't dying as far as I can tell. The phone is just shutting off for some reason. When I reset it, there is still plenty of battery life after its rebooted.

Peterthumpa

How's Beta 3 running on the iPad Mini? Just bought one, would like to update but I've got no developer account, what's the procedure to do it and can I revert it back to iOS 6 if something goes wrong?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Will Maverick be free?
I'm placing my money on $20 at most. That's what Mountain Lion cost. But I am leaning towards it being free if not $10 as a stopgap as they work towards an "always up to date" Mac OS like they've done with iOS. It's in their best interest since Apple makes devices that run OS'. They don't make OS' that run on devices like Android and Windows. They make devices that have an OS as part of the whole as opposed to Android and Windows which are made to be put on as many third party devices as they can get onto. So it would make sense for Apple to make their devices all be able to keep themselves up to date at all times. Smoother upgrades. Less problems. Less fragmentation too.

Am I rambling? $20 at most.

I think it should be free as just a normal software update. Keep everyone on the same version as much as possible.

It's not like they make a ton of money off it anyway and it's a nice point of difference to Windows.

I think it should be free as just a normal software update. Keep everyone on the same version as much as possible.

It's not like they make a ton of money off it anyway and it's a nice point of difference to Windows.

I think Apple would prefer just to give away updates but it would have to change the way it accounts for Mac revenue to be subscription-based.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

I bet in time it will get to that point. Maybe gradually if not this year.

W8 went up in price, but I'd argue that the free W8.1 is alot like Mavericks in that it's all refinements, soooo
8.1 is basically just SP1. Which are always free anyway.

Its already pretty cheap considering that there is no enforcement of licenses.
Exactly. We could be paying the old price of $130. That's what we had to pay for 10.0, 10.2, 10.3, and a few more. It wasn't until what, Leopard that they dropped the price drastically when they realized it was better to have as many people using the same OS as possible. It's the same reason they dropped the $20 fee for iOS for iPod touch users. For a while the OS was free for iPhone users but cost $20 for iPod users. At some point their marketing department decided free or as cheap as possible was better when the OS is considered "part of the whole widget".

Microsoft however makes most if not all of its Windows money off Windows itself and sells hardly any hardware. Instead it makes money selling the OS to PC manufacturers and end users who want to build a PC or upgrade an old one. You can't build a Mac and the Mac OS only runs on Macs (Hackintosh doesn't count) so why have an artificial barrier keeping users from moving forward? They dropped the barrier drastically. The only thing left is to remove it completely. And I am betting my bottom twenty dollars that it'll happen within a few years if not this year.

KtSlime

W8 went up in price, but I'd argue that the free W8.1 is alot like Mavericks in that it's all refinements, soooo

I think you are selling Mavericks short, it is a much greater upgrade (tech wise) than W8 -> W8.1.

Pretty much all OS upgrades are nothing more than refinements, and have been that way for many years.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
...has anyone had any issues with your phone dumping your music?

I'd posted before about how there are songs on my phone that I do not have set to sync to. Now my Music app just freaked out, randomly skipping ahead any time I tried to play a song, and then, without warning, it deleted a bunch of the music from my phone altogether.

Yay beta!

---

EDIT: I'm going to try wiping all music from my phone and see what happens. Maybe that will do...something. Ugh.

Top Bottom