• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

Majine

Banned
I think you are selling Mavericks short, it is a much greater upgrade (tech wise) than W8 -> W8.1.

I'm in both betas, and ehh I dunno. Counting out all the beta weirdness ofcourse.

By the way, I don't think it's in the Mavericks beta yet, but any guess how the whole "Phone notifications" is going to work? Alot of my phone apps have Mac equivalents, am I gonna get double of all of those?

KtSlime

I'm in both betas, and ehh I dunno. Counting out all the beta weirdness ofcourse.

By the way, I don't think it's in the Mavericks beta yet, but any guess how the whole "Phone notifications" is going to work? Alot of my phone apps have Mac equivalents, am I gonna get double of all of those?

Notifications are just an extension to xmpp, to my understanding at least. They can direct notification messages to anything they want, and as many devices they want. But only Apple knows for sure what they want to do. The change is server side and will probably be seemly linked via your Apple ID/iCloud, but you're right in that the feature is not currently enabled. I haven't looked at all the API additions to Mavericks, but they may have an API to hook a OS X app to its iOS counterpart, but I don't recall them mentioning it. If they don't have it now, maybe they will in the future.

Out of curiosity what does W8.1 have in it that matches memory compression and timer coalescing? (genuinely curious, because much of what I have read on 8.1 changes seems to be cosmetic)

Has Windows ever had an upgrade like that though? What do Service Packs do? What would those be equivalent to? 10.x.x updates?

Yeah, more like 10.x.x. The biggest SP I can remember was XP SP2, as it was basically when Microsoft was forced to start taking security seriously (lots of security features, enabled the firewall by default).

RedAssedApe

Banned
Uurgh...my iphone 4 powered down by itself again. does anyone else happen to have background app refresh turned off? i wonder if its some bug related to that

Uurgh...my iphone 4 powered down by itself again. does anyone else happen to have background app refresh turned off? i wonder if its some bug related to that

Same thing happened to my iPhone 5 earlier today, I have background app refresh turned off as well but I have no idea if it's related.

Edit:

Don't know if this is new to beta 3 or if it was in there before but the icon that pops up when you increase the volume/toggle the mute moves as you tilt your phone the same way that the new backgrounds work.

Man, Siri sounds immensely better and natural in beta 3. B2 had a weird bug in turn by turn directions where the voice slowed down and slurred speech, sounding drugged. Had a good laugh about it.

jts

...hate me...
QQ:

A friend has to downgrade (an essential app doesn't work properly). Does an iOS 7 backup load on iOS 6?

The new Siri voice and better integration might be one of the biggest features for me.

Siri integration is still not where I would like it to be, though. I would like Siri to be able to do just about everything I can do manually with first party software on my phone (and work up to third party app integration). To be conversational, so that I can say things like "Find me an alternative route home" when I hit construction/a traffic jam.

Stuff like that.

jts

...hate me...
No. As far as I'm aware there's no way to use a newer backup when downgrading (which itself is basically not guaranteed to work).
Thanks. Well my friend decided not to downgrade and suck it up instead (and it's a calendar app, some info is synced in the calendar.app anyway).

Btw, I just wanted to point out this silly thing.

The new "connect to iTunes" screen on the iPhone shows an iOS iTunes (the music store) logo. Haha. It has to be an oversight. Right?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Digging Beta 3.

Pro: Notification pop-ups don't pause video anymore.

Con: I can't Airplay from my 5ghz network to a device on my 2.4ghz network anymore.

btkadams

QQ:

A friend has to downgrade (an essential app doesn't work properly). Does an iOS 7 backup load on iOS 6?

i read a thread on macrumors where a guy said he downgraded his phone from ios 7 to ios 6.1.4 by just right-clicking the update button in itunes and selecting an ios 6.1.4 file. since it was an update, he didn't lose anything on his phone like a restore. he said that he noticed some bugs after doing so though, so he restored afterwards. i'm assuming he backed up first (when he first downgraded to 6.1.4) then restored.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
My new Macbook Air is showing red battery! FUCK! OH NO!!!

...oh...I still have an hour and a half?! Ok...

KtSlime

For people who have Mavericks, how much of an improvement is it over Mountain Lion? Is it a lot better for graphics?

I have a first gen Aluminum MacBook, before it got renamed the MacBook Pro. It came preinstalled with Leopard which prior to Mavericks DP2 was the fastest and smoothest the machine had ever ran. DP3 is even faster than DP2. It's very very smooth, however it can be buggy with some third party apps.

I don't do anything very graphics intensive, but Safari has never ran better.

Mavericks is going to be a pleasure to use.

I keep forgetting how far off the public release of iOS is and I find myself thinking "Oh jeez they better get on this fast" when little graphical glitches pop up, heh

Fuchsdh

I have a first gen Aluminum MacBook, before it got renamed the MacBook Pro. It came preinstalled with Leopard which prior to Mavericks DP2 was the fastest and smoothest the machine had ever ran. DP3 is even faster than DP2. It's very very smooth, however it can be buggy with some third party apps.

If Apple succeeds in creating an OS that runs as fast or faster than the original OS your Mac shipped with, it will be a mighty fine day.

RedAssedApe

Banned

::licks lips:: seriously though..mtn lion seemed to screw up my performance that clean install didn't fix on my mid 2010 Mbp. glad to hear this.

Dany

Banned
Mavericks is a 'neat' update. Multiple displays problem is fixed. :D I love how I can reply via the notification. It says it was going to optimize the OS for my computer...what does that mean? How does app nap work?

RedAssedApe

Banned
I have an iPhone 4S unlocked phone, would I be still unlocked if I upgrade it to 7? Also does Skype work on 7 yet?

Skype seems to work fine on my iphone 4. No crashes and I was able to do a test call. I don't really use skype though so I can't speak for anything else.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Just so I've got this straight since things have changed in the last beta...when my phone's sleeping and I want to start the song I paused a while ago, do they basically expect you to use CC on the lock screen now? It seems like the only way sometimes.

I can also tell from using 7 on an iPhone 4 and 5, that they really left 4 behind with this. It's just not a smooth experience at all, so hopefully they don't force updates on 4 users.

jstripes

Banned
Mavericks DP3 seems to glitch if you activate AirPlay as a secondary display, open an app fullscreen on one of your displays, and try to open another app fullscreen on the other one.

Also, iOS 7 still doesn't entirely get along with my Bluetooth car stereo. It works, but sometimes you have to shut down Bluetooth and manually reconnect.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If I'm still on Lion (10.7), I'll probably be able to upgrade directly to Mavericks when it's released, right?
You can upgrade from Snow Leopard. The only things you need for new OS X releases now are A) the App Store and B) a compatible Mac. The App Store comes with Snow Leopard so you can get to the latest version from as far back as 10.6.6.

LCfiner

going back to the previous talk of lockscreen music controls.

Here's the problem I have. If I pause a song for a long time - say over 5 minutes - and then double or single tap the home button afterwards to view the controls to resume playback, they no longer show up at all.

the only way to resume playback is to enable control center or go back into the music app (if you've disabled control center on the lockscreen).

it seems like a very bad regression, if intentional.

I'm hoping it's just a bug and not a design decision.

ramyeon

going back to the previous talk of lockscreen music controls.

Here's the problem I have. If I pause a song for a long time - say over 5 minutes - and then double or single tap the home button afterwards to view the controls to resume playback, they no longer show up at all.

the only way to resume playback is to enable control center or go back into the music app (if you've disabled control center on the lockscreen).

it seems like a very bad regression, if intentional.

I'm hoping it's just a bug and not a design decision.
The whole lockscreen seems full of bugs, it doesn't seem like intentional design choices at all. Music controls showing up by default over the time just seems like such an odd decision.

LCfiner

^ I'd say the lockscreen in general has ben a massive downgrade in discoverability and user interaction. all the mess at the bottom of the screen, the slide to unlock happening by accident in pockets. For a company that says design is "how something works", it really doesn't work as well as the old one.

another thing about music but this could have been in iOS 6 and I never noticed it: When rearranging songs in a playlist, it's very slow to move a song up or down unless you move your finger up past the edge of the screen. when I was moving a song up to the top of the playlist and then wanted to move it down a bit, I ended up invoking notification center when sliding my finger back down on the screen. And then my song disappeared...

KtSlime

The whole lockscreen seems full of bugs, it doesn't seem like intentional design choices at all. Music controls showing up by default over the time just seems like such an odd decision.

Personally I think they should move the controls below the album art while they are at it, so they are in a similar location as the Music app and control center.

Jinroh

People, I have a big problem. My Iphone 4S running IOS7 beta 3 suddenly turned off and there's no way to start it again.

Even when I connect it to my computer nothing happens, it's as if the thing just died.

Has it already happened to any of you?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
People, I have a big problem. My Iphone 4S running IOS7 beta 3 suddenly turned off and there's no way to start it again.

Even when I connect it to my computer nothing happens, it's as if the thing just died.

Has it already happened to any of you?

Try holding both the home and power button a bit.

KtSlime

It's super fast? Oh man, might have to install it on my secondary hard drive. Does Mavericks handle dual booting ok?

No problems here, it is on an external on my system. However I don't think I've ever had a case where OS X gave me any trouble with dual (I actually have 5 different boot partitions) boot.

Top Bottom