• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

I'm not noticing it.

Figured the Timer Coalescing thing would mostly be unnoticeable. I know a lot of the new features apps have to be rewritten for, but I don't expect that to happen either, with most apps.

I mean, look at Chrome forcing my dedicated GPU to always be in use, making automatic GPU switching completely irrelevant.

The whole shutting down when the battery gets below 20% thing beta 3 is doing for me is awfully annoying, but otherwise this thing is really shaping up.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Apparently you can pull up the lock screen UI whenever if you pull up straight from the bottom at anytime.

That feels like a bug, but I'm not sure what to believe.

ecurbj

Apparently you can pull up the lock screen UI whenever if you pull up straight from the bottom at anytime.

I like that feature. And I have yet to activate or pull it up in error when I'm using the iPhone.

I'm getting about an hour better - however, I also switched from using Chrome to using Safari under Mavericks, which also noticeably helps battery life.

If only Safari had the cross-platform support Chrome has, and a more open and less invasive extension system like Chrome has (and especially used have).

Safari's GPU-accelerated scrolling is pretty godly.

So when Apple says that all apps now have GPU-accelerated scrolling in Mavericks, do they mean that all built-in first party apps now have GPU-accelerated scrolling, or do ALL apps, including third party applications like Chrome, have GPU-accelerated scrolling enabled?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

You're talking about the Control Center right? You can turn it off from the lockscreen in the Settings if you don't want it available there FYI.

Your iPhone 5 shuts down once you get below 20%?

Yeah, it's really like the calibration is off. Never had trouble before. Won't boot up until I get some juice back in to it. Sometimes it powers down at ~10%, last night it was at 20%.

I suspect it's that the percentage it's shown is wrong and not that there's actually an issue. No troubles at all as long as I keep it charged.

If only Safari had the cross-platform support Chrome has, and a more open and less invasive extension system like Chrome has (and especially used have).

What does a "more open and less invasive extension system" mean? AFAIK there's nothing less open about Safari extensions than Chrome (both have to be signed, but certs are free). I've done simple extensions for both and there's not much difference unless you're getting into the level of things like HTTPS Everywhere.

I've stuck with Safari mostly as the extensions suck a little less: 1Password for Chrome is forced to slide down a nasty div on log in that covers page content, while Safari allows you to use browser chrome for dialogs.

edgefusion

What does a "more open and less invasive extension system" mean? AFAIK there's nothing less open about Safari extensions than Chrome (both have to be signed, but certs are free). I've done simple extensions for both and there's not much difference unless you're getting into the level of things like HTTPS Everywhere.

I've stuck with Safari mostly as the extensions suck a little less: 1Password for Chrome is forced to slide down a nasty div on log in that covers page content, while Safari allows you to use browser chrome for dialogs.

It's Google, so it's open.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'll say it again because I said it before but people thought I was crazy. I don't see any problem with the 1Password extension in Chrome. I've used both versions. I have both installed in both Chrome and Safari. They both look and feel exactly the same to me. What exactly does the Safari one do that the Chrome one doesn't?

Note: I love Chrome, but would also switch to Safari in a blink just for compatibility and ease reasons if it had a Windows version anymore. But right now Chrome is just the most cross-platform I can get.

ecurbj

Yeah, it's really like the calibration is off. Never had trouble before. Won't boot up until I get some juice back in to it. Sometimes it powers down at ~10%, last night it was at 20%.

I suspect it's that the percentage it's shown is wrong and not that there's actually an issue. No troubles at all as long as I keep it charged.
That's exactly why I don't go by what the percentage tells me. I actually prefer the battery itself showing the depletion rather than a number. I mean battery percentage is off by default anyway.

Plus, I'm assuming your doing it right because your calibrating the battery percentage by using the iPhone till it dies. So yeah.

I'll say it again because I said it before but people thought I was crazy. I don't see any problem with the 1Password extension in Chrome. I've used both versions. I have both installed in both Chrome and Safari. They both look and feel exactly the same to me. What exactly does the Safari one do that the Chrome one doesn't?

Exactly what I said. Safari lets extensions integrate with the browser chrome pushing down the page content. Chrome covers up the page content making navigation bars inaccessible.

YlUo+

It's a deal breaker for me especially as I work with lots of sites in development and staging environments where I can't simply store a password or dismiss the domain (you might say hit 'Never for this site', but I deal with all sorts of crazy domains and this is just one example of a local site so I could get a screenshot). It also kills me on sites in the wild too.

The folks at AgileBits confirmed to me that they hate it too, but it's the best they can do with Chrome for now.

That's exactly why I don't go by what the percentage tells me. I actually prefer the battery itself showing the depletion rather than a number. I mean battery percentage is off by default anyway.

Plus, I'm assuming your doing it right because your calibrating the battery percentage by using the iPhone till it dies. So yeah.

The percentage has always been super accurate for me and being able to watch the number is a good indicator of how much an app is taxing your CPU. My normal usage means I "calibrate" it at least once a month by accident. Wherever the bug exists it's just a temporary thing in this beta.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Exactly what I said. Safari lets extensions integrate with the browser chrome pushing down the page content. Chrome covers up the page content making navigation bars inaccessible.

YlUo+

It's a deal breaker for me especially as I work with lots of sites in development and staging environments where I can't simply store a password or dismiss the domain (you might say hit 'Never for this site', but I deal with all sorts of crazy domains and this is just one example of a local site so I could get a screenshot). It also kills me on sites in the wild too.

The folks at AgileBits confirmed to me that they hate it too, but it's the best they can do with Chrome for now.
This isn't a dealbreaker for me, but I can see what you mean. Chrome needs to open up more API stuff to developers. I understand why they limit it though, but still. Give us some more abilities.

This isn't a dealbreaker for me, but I can see what you mean. Chrome needs to open up more API stuff to developers. I understand why they limit it though, but still. Give us some more abilities.

Chrome gives more control to extensions than Apple does in general (for better or worse) but they've just made some boneheaded decisions on integration and the UX of extensions.

The popover interaction with Chrome extensions stinks. I have a time tracking extension that I built for both and Chrome handles a second click on the toolbar icon not as closing the popover (like basically every UI toolkit that I can remember), but by awkwardly reopening the same menu. For a bit of contrast, the settings button behaves like it should (first click opens menu, second click closes).

Chrome just needs a major facelift on the UX side. Lots of old mistakes still floating around. I'm surprised how little the chrome (no pun intended) has changed over time.

ecurbj

The whole shutting down when the battery gets below 20% thing beta 3 is doing for me is awfully annoying, but otherwise this thing is really shaping up.
Wow. Right after you posted this last night. I drained my iPhone completely down to 20% on purpose to see if it happens and I got the "20% low battery" warning but probably 5 minutes later the iPhone 5 died. I tried to turn it back on and nothing happened so I plugged in it a power source. 5 minutes later it turned on and it said I had 19% left.

What gives? The iOS is boss though. I love every single feature about it! But now that I encountered that. I'm starting to think that 20% cut off is going to harm my experience!

As beautiful as iOS 7 is, my phone is bugging the fuck out on this beta. I might actually downgrade.
Which iPhone are you using? iPhone 4, 4S or 5?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Chrome gives more control to extensions than Apple does in general (for better or worse) but they've just made some boneheaded decisions on integration and the UX of extensions.

The popover interaction with Chrome extensions stinks. I have a time tracking extension that I built for both and Chrome handles a second click on the toolbar icon not as closing the popover (like basically every UI toolkit that I can remember), but by awkwardly reopening the same menu. For a bit of contrast, the settings button behaves like it should (first click opens menu, second click closes).

Chrome just needs a major facelift on the UX side. Lots of old mistakes still floating around. I'm surprised how little the chrome (no pun intended) has changed over time.
Not to drag us off topic more, but I agree. I think Chrome also needs a sidebar API. I can think of a lot of extensions that currently use a button popover that could work so much better as a sidebar.

The Settings button is a menu so it works correctly. But I don't know why other button extensions don't get the same treatment. I just get used to pressing Escape or clicking outside the popover. What was this topic about again? Oh yeah.

jts

...hate me...
One of the things that I just LOVE in iOS 7 is the flat wallpapers. Just like you should always have been able to, set a monochromatic picture as the wallpaper and bam there you go, no gradient bullshit, a pixel perfect background with your color of choice.

Black for a 3G-style throwback. White looks godly. And the way the flat icons blend in, Safari with a white background looks like a round icon, the calendar icon just displays pure text. Too good. Makes me kinda wish for additional freedom in icon design though.

But anyway, I could post shots but just try it yourselves if you haven't yet. It's amazing.

One of the things that I just LOVE in iOS 7 is the flat wallpapers. Just like you should always have been able to, set a monochromatic picture as the wallpaper and bam there you go, no gradient bullshit, a pixel perfect background with your color of choice.

Black for a 3G-style throwback. White looks godly. And the way the flat icons blend in, Safari with a white background looks like a round icon, the calendar icon just displays pure text. Too good. Makes me kinda wish for additional freedom in icon design though.

But anyway, I could post shots but just try it yourselves if you haven't yet. It's amazing.

Wouldn't mind seeing a screen shot, actually.

Yeah the black gradient overlay on top of the wallpaper always annoyed the shit outta me. Glad it's finally gone.

To answer my own question: Apps compiled with Xcode 5 have GPU-accelerated scrolling enabled by default, unless developers specifically opt-out of it.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So my phone's been running hot, draining fast lately. Poked around, CPU's constantly being utilized. Reinstalled Xcode and instruments is saying kbd is running at 100% all the damn time. What the fuck would cause what I only assume to be a keyboard daemon to run wild?

I think you are selling Mavericks short, it is a much greater upgrade (tech wise) than W8 -> W8.1.
How so? Windows 8.1 brings a lot of new features for consumers and developers as well ("5000 new API" is the same bloated count that Apple uses, though).

8.1 is basically just SP1. Which are always free anyway.
That's not true.
Has Windows ever had an upgrade like that though? What do Service Packs do? What would those be equivalent to? 10.x.x updates?

Windows never really had an update like 8.1. Service Packs were always just a bundle of all released updates and rarely added new features. XP SP2 is the only huge exception, IIRC.

No it's not... If anything, it's equivalent to an OS X 10.x update.
Correct.

Yeah, more like 10.x.x. The biggest SP I can remember was XP SP2, as it was basically when Microsoft was forced to start taking security seriously (lots of security features, enabled the firewall by default).

Like I said, XP SP2 was a huge exception. It was big enough that they had to pull engineers from the Longhorn team to finish SP2 on time.

Fox1304

Anyone managed to make a third party camera kit work on iOS7 ?
My iPad only says " not certified burgh blurgh blurgh " and nothing works, neither USB nor SD Card.

KtSlime

To answer my own question: Apps compiled with Xcode 5 have GPU-accelerated scrolling enabled by default, unless developers specifically opt-out of it.

It is most likely that since Chrome uses its own custom derived controls, that their equivalent of ScrollView will need some work before it gets those benefits.

brotkasten: You are already invited to tell me what in W8.1 is comparable to timer coalescing, and compressed memory (two features that have honestly made my 4 year old computer feel like the day I got it). I don't follow MSDN blog or whatever, so from the few lay articles I have read, it looks to me like a few user facing changes and some filling in the gaps of API omissions that they needed to correct for to make Win 8 appealable to some of their former customers. I was looking for something more in depth and tangible than "Just apply Apple's marketing schtick to Windows". Sorry, I just don't have time to learn MS' new programming interface and language flavor of the year.

I would have went into the Win 8.1 thread, but I didn't see one.

Dany

Banned
My phone is a mess when it can't find a connectionit's just in my gym bag and it lost 20-30%.

Maybe I should just turn it on airplane mode, because cell signal is just wonky here

EDIT: even in airplane mode it lost another 20-30% wtf?!?

jts

...hate me...
Not in an scientific environment at all, I got vast battery improvements as soon as I turned off AirDrop.

My battery really lasts like it were on iOS 6, feels like less than 10% different at most tbh.

LCfiner

My phone is a mess when it can't find a connectionit's just in my gym bag and it lost 20-30%.

Maybe I should just turn it on airplane mode, because cell signal is just wonky here

EDIT: even in airplane mode it lost another 20-30% wtf?!?

some process is running in the background with abandon. restart the phone. happens sometimes with the beta. (so far about once a week for me where battery drains too fast and needs a power down/ power up)

Sex

Banned
Not in an scientific environment at all, I got vast battery improvements as soon as I turned off AirDrop.

My battery really lasts like it were on iOS 6, feels like less than 10% different at most tbh.

I don't get why anybody would leave AirDrop on. I'm baffled it's on as default; it's only going to harm battery and offers no real benefit for 99.9999% of people.

Fox1304

Went back to iOS6 on my iPad just for the camera kit.
Hope they'll be more lenient on accessory certification in the final release :(

Top Bottom