• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

Fox1304

"Push" for what? Not sure what you are referencing with Motorola.

If I'm not mistaken, there is an ongoing lawsuit battlee between Apple and Motorola around Push Notifications ( in general, not app-specific ), that ended in a nationwide ban in Germany for Apple Push Notifications.

corn_fest

If I installed the Mavericks beta, would I be able to update that to the GM version when it releases, or would I have to reinstall again?
Just curious as I'm itching to ditch Mountain Lion due to some frequent crashing issues.

If I installed the Mavericks beta, would I be able to update that to the GM version when it releases, or would I have to reinstall again?
Just curious as I'm itching to ditch Mountain Lion due to some frequent crashing issues.

The last seed will be GM (or at least it has been with the last two releases).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Any word on "push" working again in Germany with iOS7? I thought they had an agreement with Motorola?

I'm sick of this shit Apple :mad:

If they had some agreement with Motorola now then it wouldn't be iOS 7 related, it's either enabled or disabled regardless of iOS version. That said, I haven't heard anything about Apple and Motorola coming to an agreement and the Motorola imposed ban on push functionality in Germany being lifted.

LCfiner

yup. totally agreed.

in fact, the overall homescreen doesn't look nearly as lightweight and overly vibrant once the stock icons are mixed with 3rd party apps.

of course, I expect some 3rd party app icons to change style and become lighter or more colorful. But right now it doesn't look nearly as glaring as the Apple screenshots since there's more variety to icons.

the actual apps are still very bright and white, but since the focus is on content - either pics or text - it still works well for me.

btkadams

Is anyone able to get the weather to show up in the notification center?

yes. it wasn't working for me at first though, and when i went into the weather app the temperature was "--". it must have bugged out. i closed the app and reopened it and the temperature worked. since then, i haven't had any problems.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So kbd was runningg amok on both my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini. Restoring the iPhone seemingly solved it, but restoring the iPad didn't.

So weird.

Off-topic-ish, but when the hell are the retina MacBook Pros going to be updated? ARGH.
This fall, I'd bet. And this time, both sizes will be upgraded simultaneously.

The moment they utter the word "Haswell" and all the sweet battery life that brings to the 13-inch MBPr is the moment I upgrade from my 11-inch Air.

finally got beta 3 on my iphone earlier today. i love it, its awesome. its so much different in motion and i love all the subtle animations and interactions. pull down to search is very intuitive and works everytime. my only complaint is how ugly some of the old app icons look. instagrams icon especially looks horrendous on this.

in celebration im going naked! or rather my iphone is. i could go naked too though #justsaying

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think tonight I'm going to attempt installing Mavericks onto my main partition. Don't worry, I have multiple backups just in case. So far it seems pretty stable, if not completely cooked all the way through. (Still waiting for that last-minute graphical overhaul of all the remaining apps and UI elements like Reminders and Game Center.)

As long as all my main apps work without problems it'll be great.

i do miss the old notifications where it like rolled over the top of the screen. i thought that looked incredible visually. now its just a bar that slides down :( lame.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
i do miss the old notifications where it like rolled over the top of the screen. i thought that looked incredible visually. now its just a bar that slides down :( lame.

Yeah and on iPad because it now covers the entire length of the screen it makes navigation in Safari and other apps impossible for a few seconds.

jstripes

Banned
iOS 7 has started quietly shutting my phone off completely, recently. It's happened two times in the past few days. I have to do a hard reset (Power + Home) to turn it back on.

Dany

Banned
Using quicktime first time in mavericks beta. It won't open the file, it says its converting. Maybe because the file is 3-5 gigs big?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really wanna get the beta, but I'm too shy to ask people for a dev slot. lol
Don't be shy. There's actually a thread specifically for asking. Just remember to use a device you don't need to work perfectly. It's still a beta.

Can't wait to see if a Macericks update comes Monday and what if anything it'll bring.

If I'm not mistaken, there is an ongoing lawsuit battlee between Apple and Motorola around Push Notifications ( in general, not app-specific ), that ended in a nationwide ban in Germany for Apple Push Notifications.

Important to note that Motorola Mobility is Google, since crazies insist that only Apple is going around stifling competition. Also, this patent is going to be thrown out in a few months, so unless Google backs off it may take until then to resolve this.[1]

[1]: http://www.fosspatents.com/2013/07/its-time-for-google-to-stop-its.html

aw fuck, spotify doesnt work. well it does but if i try to increase or decrease the volume it shuts off.

bummer. probably the only problem ive encountered thats really annoying. i guess ill just transfer my music back to the regular music app.

man, the messaging app is awesome. i love the inertial movements of the bubbles and how theres a gradient mask thing for your texts. goes from light to dark as you scroll down. its awesome.

Yeah and on iPad because it now covers the entire length of the screen it makes navigation in Safari and other apps impossible for a few seconds.

oh that is so stupid. i hope they really fix that.

Sex

Banned
I'm glad the notification center covers the whole screen on iPad. I don't get why anyone wouldn't want it.

The biggest problem with iOS 7 is my phone constantly unlocks in my pocket and does shit and I have no idea why.

I'm glad the notification center covers the whole screen on iPad. I don't get why anyone wouldn't want it.

The biggest problem with iOS 7 is my phone constantly unlocks in my pocket and does shit and I have no idea why.

One side of my sleep/wake button stopped working when I installed beta 3. Waiting for a new beta to figure out if that's hardware or software, but that's the cause of my pocket unlocks (as it never locked when I put it away). There's some anecdotal evidence that others had this issue, so I'm hoping it doesn't mean a trip to the genius bar.

Sex

Banned
I hate how adjusting your volume wakes your screen. It means if I ever adjust it I'm running the risk of phantom swipes unlocking the phone. Somehow the new mechanism seems to be really prone to unlocking accidentally. Best case scenario your screen manages to stay on for ages in your pocket, wasting battery

Notifications are the same. Every notification on wakes the screen and then you can accidentally keep it on or unlock the phone just by keeping it in your pocket. I adjust the volume a lot cos of my job and it drives me nuts.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Maybe I'm just being dense but how do you clear old notifications from notification center in ios 7? There used to be an x in ios 6... :|

RedAssedApe

Banned
Can't say for iPhone 4 since I'm on a 5 but it's definitely there for me, and should be for you too.

huh...must be a bug on iphone 4. the x is not visible but if it tap where the x was in ios 6 the x shows up briefly and closes the notifications but then disappears again.

Dany

Banned
Happened to me for the first time today

It has happened to me a few times :/

I hate how adjusting your volume wakes your screen. It means if I ever adjust it I'm running the risk of phantom swipes unlocking the phone. Somehow the new mechanism seems to be really prone to unlocking accidentally. Best case scenario your screen manages to stay on for ages in your pocket, wasting battery

Notifications are the same. Every notification on wakes the screen and then you can accidentally keep it on or unlock the phone just by keeping it in your pocket. I adjust the volume a lot cos of my job and it drives me nuts.

Yeah this really sucks and I hope its a bug because I sometimes manage to open apps and stuff with my phone in my leg. SO weird.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Hmm, adjusting volume via the buttons or my headphones does not wake the screen up for me. I recall reading the release notes for beta 3 I believe that this was an issue they fixed in that build.

Sex

Banned
Hmm, adjusting volume via the buttons or my headphones does not wake the screen up for me. I recall reading the release notes for beta 3 I believe that this was an issue they fixed in that build.

I just tried it now and it turned my screen on. Weird. Hopefully it's a big and not a design choice.

Enzom21

Just got an invite from Apple for iWork for iCloud beta.

Neat.
As did I. Seems pretty nice so far.

ScreenShot2013-07-19at41337PM.png

ScreenShot2013-07-19at41331PM.png

numble

I have a habit of pulling up the multitask tray just as I am finishing up reading the last sentence of an article, reading the last tweet in my stream, etc. It doesn't work with this new multitasking implementation.

Shearie

I have a habit of pulling up the multitask tray just as I am finishing up reading the last sentence of an article, reading the last tweet in my stream, etc. It doesn't work with this new multitasking implementation.

Did you mean to say command center instead of the multitask tray?

Top Bottom