• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

numble

Did you mean to say command center instead of the multitask tray?
No, because in the previous implementation, your current screen is still preserved at the same size when you pull up the tray. So I can finish reading the sentence of a page I was reading and jump to Tweetbot or whatever.

Shearie

No, because in the previous implementation, your current screen is still preserved at the same size when you pull up the tray. So I can finish reading the sentence of a page I was reading and jump to Tweetbot or whatever.

Oh, ok. I wasn't understanding what you were trying to say before. I thought you were implying that you were accidentally pulling up the multitasking tray in ios7 which didn't make sense to me.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Why don't I have access to iTunes Radio in the iTunes app? I'm logged into my American account.

Edit:
Found it in Music.
Heh, this is the exact reason I wondered why they called it iTunes Radio instead of iRadio when it was announced.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
IOS 7 now apparently kicks my phone out of charge mode on my Sony lightning clock every night with that 'this device not supported' message. Please tell me that's something they plan to fix...

Lima

Just tried iOS7 yesterday. What an ugly piece of shit. Went back to iOS6 today and will never update unless I am forced to. Seeing how the new iPhone will come with the new OS, they are seriously making me think to jump ship and switch to Android or WP. They can't be serious with that design.

Mobius 1

I, for one, am enjoying iOS7's new direction. Had a couple of inconsequential app crashes, but it has been very smooth and responsive.

I'm a designer and I can't turn a blind eye to some of Apple's strange decisions regarding the visual and interaction design decisions made (for worse), but they can be addressed as the OS evolves.

robox

i too am running into the problem of phone shutting down and not turning back on. went all of last night without my phone until i got home and tried to do the hard reset combo to rescue it.

is this recent? any more info about it?

this is a bad enough problem for me to get off this beta train.

IOS 7 now apparently kicks my phone out of charge mode on my Sony lightning clock every night with that 'this device not supported' message. Please tell me that's something they plan to fix...

It will be if you file a radar. :)

https://bugreport.apple.com

i too am running into the problem of phone shutting down and not turning back on. went all of last night without my phone until i got home and tried to do the hard reset combo to rescue it.

is this recent? any more info about it?

this is a bad enough problem for me to get off this beta train.

Is this problem the same as the one I've been having with the battery shutdown? If so, keeping your battery charged above 20% would solve it until the next beta lands (which could be Monday if the dev center were to actually come back over the weekend).

Vashetti

Banned
Any recent impressions on Mavericks?

I for one cannot wait to get it. All of those new battery efficiencies are right up my street.

I'm tempted to get a white iPhone 5 in preparation for the new iOS; I think it'd look tremendous with the white shell as opposed to the black one.

You're not planning on doing that before the 5S and other new models are announced, right?

Any recent impressions on Mavericks?

I for one cannot wait to get it. All of those new battery efficiencies are right up my street.

It's pretty stable. A few third party apps had some issues and have since updated with support and besides the occasional need to toggle Wifi on and off to fix a bad driver or something it's been solid.

robox

Is this problem the same as the one I've been having with the battery shutdown? If so, keeping your battery charged above 20% would solve it until the next beta lands (which could be Monday if the dev center were to actually come back over the weekend).

nope. it happens well above 20% charge.

i'd notice that i'd play around with an app. exit and lock. leave it for a while, could just be a washroom break, then come back to find it's shut down.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber

I'm sorry you feel that way. I, for one, don't ever want to return. So much more appealing, visually and usability-wise. Minor eyeball insulting issues I can live with. Overall direction? Ace.

Lima

Tried the 7 beta again, this time on my GF's white iPhone 5. Holy shit what a difference. Looks and feels perfect on the white, while it looks completely out of place on the black. This means I will probably get the iPhone 5S or whatever it will be called in white this fall.

hmmm strange my ipad gives me the error of need developer registration for beta... anyone still have some slots? Will gladly donate a few bucks to your paypal :)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They can't be serious with that design.
That's how most of us have felt since around iOS5 or whenever the linen and fake real-life textures all started piling in. iOS7's pretty wild, but it's an overall improvement in just about every visual way.
Other than the icons, I think it looks great. But it also seems to depend on how good your background wallpaper is. Since it seems to work with it more so if your wallpaper is terrible, you're gonna have a bad time. The blurred translucency reminds me of when Steve showed off Leopard way back when and talked about the new transparent menubar that "changes itself to match your wallpaper" which was just layman's term for "it's partially transparent and blurs the content behind it".

As long as linen is finally gone. Now if they would hurry up and give Mavericks the visual overhaul it needs to have to match. Or at least finish removing the rest of the odd textures from the sister apps.

KtSlime

I don't have a spare phone to run the beta on, but am kind of curious as to how persistent the parallax is. I know from the APIs that they give the developers the ability to stack layers, and hopefully that will be put to good use, but I am wondering how much Apple has used it beyond the home screen and popups. Do the stacks of songs in iTunes Radio make use of the API? are title/navigation bars raised above the main document view container? Are text 'buttons' raised above their containers? I'm sure if they are it would have to be incredibly subtle, but was wondering all the same. Thanks.

anyone else just not getting calls sometimes at all? I'll get a message but my phone never rang, it's not in my recent calls and I don't get a missed call notification

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Don't want to start a new thread but did they take Dark Void Zero off the A[[ Store? I can't seem to find it, can someone else check?

Apple:

Last Thursday, an intruder attempted to secure personal information of our registered developers from our developer website. Sensitive personal information was encrypted and cannot be accessed, however, we have not been able to rule out the possibility that some developers’ names, mailing addresses, and/or email addresses may have been accessed. In the spirit of transparency, we want to inform you of the issue. We took the site down immediately on Thursday and have been working around the clock since then.

In order to prevent a security threat like this from happening again, we’re completely overhauling our developer systems, updating our server software, and rebuilding our entire database. We apologize for the significant inconvenience that our downtime has caused you and we expect to have the developer website up again soon.

At least one vector seems to have been discovered by this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q000_EOWy80

Hopefully the full extent doesn't go much beyond the data he was able to retrieve and this isn't really much of a concern (other than ADC being down to get everything fixed). I suspect this is a case of white hats and black hats testing the exploits at the same time and hopefully Apple was tipped off before things got too nasty. There was a remote execution CVE with Struts 2 last week that seems to be linked.

mrkgoo

Would this include flyby dev accounts that don't pay the $99? I had to create one to get access to Xcode back in the day.

you know how that whole rumor about iWork going free later this year? is that for the cloud/mobile/tablet apps or overall?

as in, would i be stupid to buy pages now for my mac if it will become free later this year?

kennah

you know how that whole rumor about iWork going free later this year? is that for the cloud/mobile/tablet apps or overall?

as in, would i be stupid to buy pages now for my mac if it will become free later this year?

Use Neo Office or LibreOffice for now and see what happens.

Anyone else having trouble with getting phone calls?

Apparently a few people had tried calling me but I never even get the phone to ring or register that I've missed a call...

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Apparently a few people had tried calling me but I never even get the phone to ring or register that I've missed a call...

You haven't blocked the Caller IDs have you?

(have had no issues receiving or making calls myself)

Use Neo Office or LibreOffice for now and see what happens.

yeah, ive been using open office and its been...serviceable. between that and text edit im covered for most things. i guess ill wait it out.

same here. my mom told me she tried calling a few times yesterday but i didnt even so much get a missed call notification.

Anyone else having a bug where an app update is permanently "pending" on the app store? There's no way to open the app and it refuses to actually download and install the update too.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So will the dev portal being down affect Mavericks too? I was really hoping for an update today. I haven't installed it yet. If the portal is down, will it be a bad idea to try and even install it today? Will it cause it to not be able to update from DP1 which is what's in the installer app?

So will the dev portal being down affect Mavericks too? I was really hoping for an update today. I haven't installed it yet. If the portal is down, will it be a bad idea to try and even install it today? Will it cause it to not be able to update from DP1 which is what's in the installer app?

Would think they'd want to be able to post the release notes on the portal.

Appleman

So, this doesn't affect releases of their beta's and DP's?

Well they didn't release iOS7 beta 4 at 1:00 EST today so I'd guess that they are holding off on the iOS release because you also need XCode DP4 which can't be acquired from the Dev site right now.

Top Bottom