• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

hirokazu

Well they didn't release iOS7 beta 4 at 1:00 EST today so I'd guess that they are holding off on the iOS release because you also need XCode DP4 which can't be acquired from the Dev site right now.
I think it's actually because iOS 7 beta 4 was always scheduled to be released next week. Somebody pointed out that the expiry date for beta 3 was longer than the first two betas and its in line with iOS 6's beta release schedule.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I had a feeling Mavericks was being handled differently since you don't need a special ID and special permission in order to install it like you do iOS.

Gonna update now. Actually, I might just install it on my main partition. I mean as long as the few apps I use all the time still work, Parallels (Had an update a few weeks ago), Chrome, Sublime Text 2/3, Hopefully Photoshop CS3 (Which has survived through about half a dozen major OS X versions without failure so far) and all Apple's apps.

So, does Game Center still have green felt and is Reminders still that odd plastic look? Time to find out I guess.

Also, Mavericks has always felt snappy to me, but then again I haven't used it with my normal assortment of apps yet. Especially Chrome.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This is very odd behavior.

In the Finder, you can open multiple tabs in a window, then close that window.

If you click on the Finder icon while no windows are open, it reopens a window to that previously set up collection of tabs. But it doesn't open the way it was before. It defaults to some smaller size from earlier.

But if you press Command+N to open a new window, it opens to All My Files instead. And if you already have windows open, there's no way to open that set of tabs above.

Why not just make Command+N open that set of tabs? Very odd behavior since you can only open that tab set when no other windows are open in the Finder. I'd rather it also show up when you press Command+N. And possibly an option to lock that set of tabs. Actually, I'd like an option for the Finder to keep all folders to one single window. Even if I double-click a hard disk or open a Docked folder in the Finder, I'd love an option to have them all go right into one window.

KtSlime

This is very odd behavior.

In the Finder, you can open multiple tabs in a window, then close that window.

If you click on the Finder icon while no windows are open, it reopens a window to that previously set up collection of tabs. But it doesn't open the way it was before. It defaults to some smaller size from earlier.

But if you press Command+N to open a new window, it opens to All My Files instead. And if you already have windows open, there's no way to open that set of tabs above.

Why not just make Command+N open that set of tabs? Very odd behavior since you can only open that tab set when no other windows are open in the Finder. I'd rather it also show up when you press Command+N. And possibly an option to lock that set of tabs. Actually, I'd like an option for the Finder to keep all folders to one single window. Even if I double-click a hard disk or open a Docked folder in the Finder, I'd love an option to have them all go right into one window.

Command+N is set to open whatever you set in the Finder Preferences for it (They should just get rid of the feature and make it behave the same as an icon click, but whatever). The Finder Icon has always had unique and irregular behavior, but I could not reduplicate your bug. The Finder Icon new window feature (on my computer) always produces its window, same size, location, tabs, and arrangement, everything except for previously selected icons (Apple should fix that part of the save state, even text insertion cursor position should be remembered IMO). I did reproduce a bug where if the folder was on a slow connection, like USB or remote, and it hadn't finished loading, and you close the window, that the Finder will just delete that tab the next time you open that window.

ramyeon

Battery is abysmal on iOS7 beta 3. Saw it go from 80% to 55% in the space of 1 hour with airplane mode on. Crazy. It was also super hot so something was not right.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Command+N is set to open whatever you set in the Finder Preferences for it (They should just get rid of the feature and make it behave the same as an icon click, but whatever). The Finder Icon has always had unique and irregular behavior, but I could not reduplicate your bug. The Finder Icon new window feature (on my computer) always produces its window, same size, location, tabs, and arrangement, everything except for previously selected icons (Apple should fix that part of the save state, even text insertion cursor position should be remembered IMO). I did reproduce a bug where if the folder was on a slow connection, like USB or remote, and it hadn't finished loading, and you close the window, that the Finder will just delete that tab the next time you open that window.
Here:

Close all Finder windows. (To clear the canvas basically)

Open a new window any way you want (Either by clicking the icon or pressing Command+N) and open a bunch of tabs in it. (Any folders you want, doesn't matter)

Close the window itself by clicking the X.

Now:

If there are no windows currently open, you can click the Finder icon and it will open this previously created window. Very useful, but...

If there are already windows open, when you click the Finder icon, it just brings the frontmost window up. If all are minimized, it will just unminimize the most recent one.

You cannot make your "tab collection" window appear at all unless you close all other windows first. They should expand on this and either A) put this as an option in Preferences to let Command+N bring up this set of tabs or B) make it a separate menu option and key combo like maybe Command+Option+N. (Since it's currently free)

I also hope this is AppleScriptable in that I can write a script that will open a new window and populate it with a bunch of tabs. So I could have a couple different "sets" of tabs I could use for different projects. I guess it depends on if AppleScript for Mavericks is able to take a window and create a new tab in it. A thousand internet hugs to anyone who can write a sample script like this. (At least when Mavericks releases)

I installed Mavericks as my main OS now. I'll post a better experience later.

Appleman

I think it's actually because iOS 7 beta 4 was always scheduled to be released next week. Somebody pointed out that the expiry date for beta 3 was longer than the first two betas and its in line with iOS 6's beta release schedule.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking now too. Either way, I don't expect it until next Monday regardless of whether the site comes back up this week.

It's a real bummer though since some of their new APIs are memory leaking like crazy and definitely need to be fixed up before I can use them...

jts

...hate me...
Battery is abysmal on iOS7 beta 3. Saw it go from 80% to 55% in the space of 1 hour with airplane mode on. Crazy. It was also super hot so something was not right.
It only takes a rogue process. All iOS betas are prone to have rogue processes running.

Forcing apps to close and/or rebooting the phone may help.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
It only takes a rogue process. All iOS betas are prone to have rogue processes running.

Forcing apps to close and/or rebooting the phone may help.
This. I have been rebooting my phone any time I notice the battery life draining exceptionally fast, and it has typically fixed the problem.

Restoring back to iOS6.

It's a lot smoother but wow the fact that I'm not getting any phone calls is really worrisome when I'm waiting for phone calls from employers

jts

...hate me...
Is visual voicemail gone (at least for now) or is it just me/my provider?

If anyone has it, care to post a pic?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
After weeks of IO7, I'm realizing I really miss the double-tap to bring the music controls up from a sleeping phone. I wish they'd bring back that option along with having to use CC.

LCfiner

After weeks of IO7, I'm realizing I really miss the double-tap to bring the music controls up from a sleeping phone. I wish they'd bring back that option along with having to use CC.

same here. swiping up from the lock screen is not as fast and there’s a risk of opening up the camera app.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is visual voicemail gone (at least for now) or is it just me/my provider?

If anyone has it, care to post a pic?
I lost my VV too, I'm on Smarttalk. I'm just hoping it gets fixed eventually.

ramyeon

same here. swiping up from the lock screen is not as fast and there’s a risk of opening up the camera app.
You don't need to swipe up to access music controls, it's a single tap of the home button now.

wVFtKxM.png

mattiewheels

You don't need to swipe up to access music controls, it's a single tap of the home button now.
Unfortunately, when the music hasn't been playing for a few minutes, that function stops working.

RedAssedApe

Banned
my iphone 4 on ios 7 beta 3 can't play my mp3s. whenever i start a song it just starts shuffling through all my tracks without playing anything. :\

ramyeon

Unfortunately, when the music hasn't been playing for a few minutes, that function stops working.
Oh I see. Haven't had that issue yet but I hate that the controls display on the lock screen by default. It looks so cluttered, I only want the controls up when I need to use them otherwise they should be hidden by default :/
my iphone 4 on ios 7 beta 3 can't play my mp3s. whenever i start a song it just starts shuffling through all my tracks without playing anything. :\
Have you tried deleting them off the phone and resyncing them? Sounds like corrupt files.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Does anyone know how to get the feature back (In Mavericks) where pressing the Power key brings up a dialog asking you what to do instead of putting the computer to sleep? That's just stupid. I want it to ask me! 99% of the time when I press Power it's because I want to shut down or log out. Not sleep. If I wanted to sleep, I'd close the lid! I can't find an option for it anywhere!

Larson

Banned
I have a big problem.

I have just woken up, and my iPhone 5 has been restored during the night or something. I have IOS7, i have not updated to beta 2 or 3 because i had a updating problem that made my iPhone 5 to crash every time i did this. But now the iPhone 5 needs to be activated, but its not working. I have plugged the iPhone 5 to itunes and it says that the software has gone out and that i need to update to a newer one. But there is not possible to update to a newer one through itunes because it just says that i have the newest update IOS7. And i cant make a security copy because itunes can make a session with my iPhone.

Any help to this situation?

ramyeon

I have a big problem.

I have just woken up, and my iPhone 5 has been restored during the night or something. I have IOS7, i have not updated to beta 2 or 3 because i had a updating problem that made my iPhone 5 to crash every time i did this. But now the iPhone 5 needs to be activated, but its not working. I have plugged the iPhone 5 to itunes and it says that the software has gone out and that i need to update to a newer one. But there is not possible to update to a newer one through itunes because it just says that i have the newest update IOS7. And i cant make a security copy because itunes can make a session with my iPhone.

The betas expire and Beta 1 expired today, if you're gonna continue to use the beta you really need to update it every time.

My friend had the same issue today and I directed him to download the IPSW for Beta 3 from somewhere and force a manual update in iTunes using that file. Apparently he had to restore to iOS6 and update after that, though.

Not sure if I'm able to post any links to the IPSW here but it shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I have a big problem.

You'll need to seek out and download Beta 3 and then restore to it in iTunes.

Protip: Beta builds expire a few weeks (at most) following the release of a succeeding build number. This is what's happened to your phone.

Larson

Banned
The betas expire and Beta 1 expired today, if you're gonna continue to use the beta you really need to update it every time.

My friend had the same issue today and I directed him to download the IPSW for Beta 3 from somewhere and force a manual update in iTunes using that file. Apparently he had to restore to iOS6 and update after that, though.

Not sure if I'm able to post any links to the IPSW here but it shouldn't be too difficult to find.

I am really not good at this sort of things, could you send me a pm to how i get the beta 3 manually?

i really love how the screen fades in when you wake it from lock. especially the music player, the art and then the controls and stuff fade in. very classy and elegant.

I am really not good at this sort of things, could you send me a pm to how i get the beta 3 manually?

Get it on the Apple developer site or if that won't work go wherever you got the first beta from. On a related note people really should know what they're getting themselves into when they install beta software.

ramyeon

Settings -> general -> software update

On your phone

Get it on the Apple developer site or if that won't work go wherever you got the first beta from. On a related note people really should know what they're getting themselves into when they install beta software.
I already pointed them in the direction of where to download the IPSW from :) most of us don't have access to the Apple Developer site anyway, right?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm a little disappointed in Mavericks. The new 2D dock looks great and much nicer than the 3D version, which looked much nicer than the older black 2D version. But the old hack to make the bottom Dock 2D no longer works. Shame. I really like how it looks now. It kinda has the iOS7 feel with how it's a white frosted blurred look to it that does the same thing that the menubar does. Not that the 3D Dock as it is now is terrible. I love it a lot more than the older 3D Dock, but I just love that 2D look.

I'd love to see if someone can figure out how to get the 2D horizontal version back.

Also, odd bug, but now when you force quit the Dock, the screen fades to black and up again. The same thing that happens when I log in. I bet the Dock is causing a weird fade effect when it loads which would explain it happening at login. It's odd. And I bet it'll be fixed by release. It also takes a few seconds to appear now as opposed to instantly in previous versions. Of course this is pretty pointless anyway since I never relaunch my Dock unless I need to.

LCfiner

I wouldn't be too worried about the Dock. I bet after it releases, Panic will update Candy Bar and other people will have new assets to replace Apple's version.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wouldn't be too worried about the Dock. I bet after it releases, Panic will update Candy Bar and other people will have new assets to replace Apple's version.
CB can only change assets in the packages. It couldn't change the color of the old black 2D Dock and can only change it to 2D or 3D if OS X has a setting for it. Mavericks has either removed the 2D setting for the horizontal layout or has changed its variable name, and until someone discovers it, it will not be possible.

Looking through the current Dock's resources right now and there aren't really many resources you can change for the new 2D Dock and the new 3D Dock from ML and Mav is pretty much uncustomizable. The older 3D Dock let you change the image used on the 3D look, now it's hard coded to be white and blurs the reflection. I take that back, there are some images that appear to be the new 2D Dock but then again, it does nothing to help change the bottom Dock into 2D. (Dock resources are very strangely cryptically named. A bunch are named "ecap".) And until someone finds the setting for it, it'll remain 3D. And I really don't want my Dock on my left or right.

I thought candybar was discontinued.
It was given to IconFactory to be released for free. It's no longer updated or supported by Panic. But it's still available and will work until OS X breaks things and IF gives up.

I just wish that now that they're going with the white blurred aesthetic, they'll eventually change this ugly thing...
i9LAjGVTHR9Qa.png

The black with white border aesthetic no longer fits the new OS. And you can't change the "list" menu version of these resources for some reason. (But the grid version can be changed easily oddly) And even if you could, you can't change hard coded colors of text. I think a white version could look really amazing if it matched the new 2D Dock look.

Dany

Banned
How do i remove a subscription for calanders?

I dislike how how hte music controls are on the lock screen by default instead of time.

That means that when i get a notification; my screen turns on but the phone is in my pocket so i am more likely to skip, pause, and change volume of hte song. So god damn annoying.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Oh I see. Haven't had that issue yet but I hate that the controls display on the lock screen by default. It looks so cluttered, I only want the controls up when I need to use them otherwise they should be hidden by default :/

Have you tried deleting them off the phone and resyncing them? Sounds like corrupt files.

haha...yeah that's the FIRST thing I should have tried. Fixed. Weird that the OS update borked everything. Never happened on any previous OS update.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Got an iWork for iCloud invite.

So I am guessing we will see iWork go to free on both app stores soon? This plus it showing up as a "download free apple apps" on a developer build of ios 7

My guess is for the realease of mavericks and ios 7 respectively.

ramyeon

Got an iWork for iCloud invite.

So I am guessing we will see iWork go to free on both app stores soon? This plus it showing up as a download free apple apps on a developer build of ios 7

My guess is for the realease of mavericks and ios 7 respectively.
Wait, this required an invite? I'm pretty sure I've had it since the WWDC event.

haha...yeah that's the FIRST thing I should have tried. Fixed. Weird that the OS update borked everything. Never happened on any previous OS update.

The Music app is the one thing that I've most commonly had breakage with throughout all of the iOS betas (from 2.0 all the way through 7.0). They always seem to be moving some parts that never quite work right together until the last beta and GM.

Right now any albums that I try to download from iTunes Match just end up having each song listed twice and basically the entire thing is a mess that barely plays music. I mostly use Rdio day to day though, so that's all fine and dandy.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
When I first installed Mavericks I noticed my Animated GIF Quicklook Finder plugin was broken. So I decided to remove it and lo and behold...

ibyuyTiyJy3dhd.png

They finally built it into the OS!

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
iOS 7 Question:

In the Music app, is there a way to play all songs by one artist? Or do you have to add tracks to a playlist now? I can't seem to go in through Artist to, say, Jack's Mannequin and shuffle through their songs. It only lets you do one album at a time.

jts

...hate me...
iOS 7 Question:

In the Music app, is there a way to play all songs by one artist? Or do you have to add tracks to a playlist now? I can't seem to go in through Artist to, say, Jack's Mannequin and shuffle through their songs. It only lets you do one album at a time.
Damn, looks like you're right. Can't even see a cloudy button to download all the songs from an artist anymore. That's some BS.

mattiewheels

I really don't like the way they don't let you see just a list of album titles in artist view in 7. I have tons of albums by most artists, so it's pretty inconvenient this way having to scroll through the entire list of albums' songs.

What I really love in 7 though is the standardized swipe from the left of the screen to go back in every redone app. That's awesome.

Top Bottom