• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's been a long time since I used Time Machine, but I turned it on in Mavericks and am sad to see the spinning arrow animation is gone. How long has that been? It's just a static arrow with a triangle icon when it's running. The spinning was so much easier to notice.

Dany

Banned
It's been a long time since I used Time Machine, but I turned it on in Mavericks and am sad to see the spinning arrow animation is gone. How long has that been? It's just a static arrow with a triangle icon when it's running. The spinning was so much easier to notice.

Yeah, i hope thats just a bug or something :/

Since DP3, which didn't move at all. DP4 added the static arrow.

So, beta 4 today?
What are the chances, now that Developer Center is back up?

Beta 3 expires on August 29. Beta 2 expired on July 24; beta 3 came out on July 8, just over two weeks before beta 2 would expire. Going by that metric, I might not expect Beta 4 until mid-August.

Appleman

iOS 7 Question:

In the Music app, is there a way to play all songs by one artist? Or do you have to add tracks to a playlist now? I can't seem to go in through Artist to, say, Jack's Mannequin and shuffle through their songs. It only lets you do one album at a time.

Yep, this has been really annoying for a while

Apple to release iOS 7 beta 4 today; two more betas planned, GM coming in September

While many expected a release last Monday, we have been told by multiple sources that Apple is planning to release iOS 7 beta 4 later today now that the iOS developer portal is back up. The company’s fourth iOS 7 update should be available around the normal time, 1:00 p.m. EDT / 10:00 a.m. PDT, over the air and through Apple’s developer site.

Additionally, one source has informed us that the company plans to release just two more betas for developers before the gold master (GM) version is released in early September. If this happens, we could likely see new iPhone handsets announced and possibly released around mid-to-late September. iOS 7 beta 4 should contain more bug fixes, graphics and UI enhancements, and a couple of other updates, we’re told.

http://bgr.com/2013/07/29/ios-7-beta-4-download-release-fall/

Apple to release iOS 7 beta 4 today; two more betas planned, GM coming in September

Nice, glad to be wrong on this and have it only arrive a week late.

Also, as expected, iOS 7 will have more betas than previous iOS releases because there's so much more polishing required.

Here's hoping they replace the Safari, Photos, Camera, Notes, Settings, Reminders, Voice Memos, and Compass icons (though really, Compass should no longer exist as its own app - Compass/Maps and Voice Memos/Notes should seriously get combined into single apps).

I'm on iOS7 beta 3 and am having a VERY annoying problem when receiving calls. Essentially what happens is that the phone doesnt ring or vibrate, but if i'm looking at the phone I will see who is calling.
Then, if I slide to answer, it will pick up the phone TWICE for the same caller. I will have one on HOLD and the other on the line, but voice never goes through and I have to hang up.

LCfiner

I'm on iOS7 beta 3 and am having a VERY annoying problem when receiving calls. Essentially what happens is that the phone doesnt ring or vibrate, but if i'm looking at the phone I will see who is calling.
Then, if I slide to answer, it will pick up the phone TWICE for the same caller. I will have one on HOLD and the other on the line, but voice never goes through and I have to hang up.

I've had this happen to me a few times the last few weeks. Super weird and annoying. It basically puts you in a conference call with the same number twice. But each line is muted.

in the call log, it looks like the person called you two times but they didn't.

Definitely the worst bug I've ever encountered in an iOS beta as it directly impacts the functionality of the phone. I don't remember it happening in beta 1 or 2.

It's the main reason why I want to install beta 4 asap. I have to imagine something as major as this is fixed now and they're not waiting another 2 or 3 weeks to do it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Nice, glad to be wrong on this and have it only arrive a week late.

Also, as expected, iOS 7 will have more betas than previous iOS releases because there's so much more polishing required.

Here's hoping they replace the Safari, Photos, Camera, Notes, Settings, Reminders, Voice Memos, and Compass icons (though really, Compass should no longer exist as its own app - Compass/Maps and Voice Memos/Notes should seriously get combined into single apps).

Regarding the bolded, what? iOS 5 had 8 builds before the GM release, iOS 7 looks to have 6.

FerranMG

Beta 3 expires on August 29. Beta 2 expired on July 24; beta 3 came out on July 8, just over two weeks before beta 2 would expire. Going by that metric, I might not expect Beta 4 until mid-August.

Welp, was about to post that this made sense when:

I won't complain! :)
My 3rd gen iPad could use without a few squashed bugs.

One thing I would really like them to fix is the Voice Memo app icon. The lines are so close together that is looks like total shit when it scales in and out of a folder. None of the other apps do this that I'm aware of. I can even deal with the ugly Safari icon but the shimmering with Voice Memos is just... no.

Arrow on Control Center is gone, NC has a flat line. Slide to unlock has an arrow:

attachment.php

LCfiner

I like the NC/CC lock screen indicators but I don't think the "slide to unlock" arrow should be there. Feels redundant with the light shimmer indicating where to slide.

In this case, I gotta disagree. I never thought the shimmer was enough. it's a bright/bold white to medium/thin white change. it's barely visible with some light colored backgrounds. I think adding a little bit more obviousness is important.

This 1.8 Gig requirement is KILLING me. I've deleted every video off my phone as well as a much of apps I never use and a ton of photos plus all my music and I STILL don't have enough space. Goddamn!!

Ughhh I'm at 1.7 Gigs free aaaahhhhggghghghhghghghh

Edit: OH MY GOD. Apparently I had an HD episode of Gravity Falls still synced to my phone. I deleted it and I just shot up to 6+ Gigs of free space. Jeeeeesus Christ. -_____-;

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Neat new tweak, you can finally swipe between the "Today" "All" and "Missed" screens in the notification center.

FYI: Twitter app is slightly busted, the bottom buttons don't respond instantly, you have to tap and hold for a second for it to register the taps.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
What is an adc account? I'm an Apple Developer but I have no idea what that is. (Also confused as the main developer portal has no access to iOS7 that I can see...)

Apple Developer Center. From the response I'm assuming the link is inaccessible without being a registered developer.

I've had this happen to me a few times the last few weeks. Super weird and annoying. It basically puts you in a conference call with the same number twice. But each line is muted.

in the call log, it looks like the person called you two times but they didn't.

Definitely the worst bug I've ever encountered in an iOS beta as it directly impacts the functionality of the phone. I don't remember it happening in beta 1 or 2.

It's the main reason why I want to install beta 4 asap. I have to imagine something as major as this is fixed now and they're not waiting another 2 or 3 weeks to do it.

Glad beta 4 just got released when I've just about had enough of that problem! It seemed as though the more I used the phone the more frequent that issue was! Hope its solved.

Apple Developer Center. From the response I'm assuming the link is inaccessible without being a registered developer.

I'm a registered Apple developer, logged in to developer.apple.com, and it still asks me to login for that link. Of course, connect.apple.com appears to be down...

From Mac Rumors:

Bug Fixes:
- Black wallpaper bug fixed
- Wallpaper screen crashing bug fixed
- Maps app bug fixed where the list of directions would display over the map
- Newsstand is slightly more transparent
- Alarm section of Clock app no longer has the edit arrow showing on top of the on/off toggle

New features / changes / bug fixes:
- Lock screen no longer has confusing arrows for Control Center and Notification Center, they are now lines rather than arrows
- Slide to unlock has an arrow pointing to the right
- Faster animations
- Notification Center views can be swiped through
- Names of Notification Center views have their first letter capitalized
- Photos app is more stable
- Tweaked Spotlight UI
- Phone answer / decline buttons tweaked
- Call button in Phone app tweaked, rounder.
- HDR button in Camera moved to the top
- Shuffle all songs by artist in music player
- Folders have different transparency hues depending on their spot on the screen and the color behind them
- Last names now shortened to first letter of it in Messages top bar
- Weekday in Calendar app icon is now back to red
- Much larger text in App Store update descriptions
- Notes app yellow text is slightly darker
- Camera icon gradient slightly darker
- Download All feature in Music app is back for Playlists
- "Completed Uploads" toggle in Notification Center settings
- iPhone 4S now has camera filters
- Yellow square for autofocus & face detection in Camera
- Folders now properly animate when placed in the dock
- New AirPlay icons
- Turns can be removed from Game Center
- New Gmail icon in Mail
- New iPad resolution changing button while running iPhone-only apps
- Siri Q/A section in help UI

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
That's the part I don't understand - the iOS7 tab has been greyed out for me ever since the Dev Center went down. So possibly it's all disabled except for existing iOS7 users?

I find that unlikely, Apple said in an email a few days ago software downloads etc. were all back up and running.

On another point, the field testing menues finally have iOS 7 aesthetics. To access it, call *3001#12345#*

I find that unlikely, Apple said in an email a few days ago software downloads etc. were all back up and running.

Ah, I found the problem. To access iOS7 you need to agree to the changes to their developer terms of service. That page is still down as part of the hack overhaul. So you can't agree and thus can't access it (unless you've agreed prior)

Xrenity

It's funny how faster animations always makes it feel faster/better too.

Spotify still crashing when changing volume btw. Not a big problem for me.

Edit: at the bottom of a page you have to pull an extra time to bring up the bottom bar in safari. Like it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Did the install app always overlap the reviews like that?

Still strange you can't google search from spotlight. It looks much nicer now though.
The rest seems much snappier now too.

I believe so, not really an issue though..

Speaking of subtle changes;

ycl5.jpg

Ok they finally fixed the issue with the scrolling backgrounds.

Before, you would chose your picture, and just have to guess at how far iOS would zoom in/scale it to allow it to rotate. This was annoying as fuck and I hated it.

NOW, though, when you select your image it shows it to you already zoomed in to the level it will need, and you can adjust it from there.

Still shitty it has to zoom in on certain images so much, but at least now you know what the damn thing will look like before you actually set it.

Top Bottom