• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

Two Words

Any chance they'll announce a new line of Retina Macbook Pros? I'm looking to get a new laptop for the Fall semester, and it feels a bit late to buy the current models.

TimFL

Any chance of a new iphone or iPod? WWDC has always been about new hardware.

They showed the iPhone 4 in june, there is a chance but it's not likely. I'm almost certain they'll show off the iWatch though and maybe even the new iPhones just so they can show their healthbook application properly.

Blackhead

Redarse
Any chance they'll announce a new line of Retina Macbook Pros? I'm looking to get a new laptop for the Fall semester, and it feels a bit late to buy the current models.

Macrumor's Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy

Recently rumored Apple's 2014 Product Roadmap
hfC9obw.jpg

There wouldn't be anything notable about any new MBPs. A small CPU frequency increase at best, until Broadwell hits this fall.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What are the chances Apple could make the trackpad on a new Macbook Pro into a giant "Touch ID" like the iPhone 5S?
I wish. That would be really nice. No more typing my password. But only if they open it up to Keychain access so I can use it anywhere. Not just App Store and login.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
..and transition to ARM announcement :p
I really hope this never happens. Unless there is 100% compatibility with Intel and no performance hit for virtual machines I don't want another architecture switch. Before Intel, running Windows on a Mac was a pain in the ass. Slow as molasses. Now it's pretty much 1:1 speed. Intel is fine. Why do we need to switch again? Is Intel really doing that badly for Apple? It took a horrible fumble from IBM and Motorola under delivering on their PPC processors to finally make Apple say "Okay. Flip the switch." I am hoping this silly ARM rumor is just their backup plan like Intel was in the chance Intel screws up. Remember, there were rumors of Intel switching for years, but no one believed it would ever happen because, come on, it was so out there!

Someone want to point out what benefits ARM would have over Intel?

Thezez

Banned
I really hope this never happens. Unless there is 100% compatibility with Intel and no performance hit for virtual machines I don't want another architecture switch. Before Intel, running Windows on a Mac was a pain in the ass. Slow as molasses. Now it's pretty much 1:1 speed. Intel is fine. Why do we need to switch again? Is Intel really doing that badly for Apple? It took a horrible fumble from IBM and Motorola under delivering on their PPC processors to finally make Apple say "Okay. Flip the switch." I am hoping this silly ARM rumor is just their backup plan like Intel was in the chance Intel screws up. Remember, there were rumors of Intel switching for years, but no one believed it would ever happen because, come on, it was so out there!

The way I see it, back when the decision was made to switch to Intel, performance per watt was a big factor, as was the ability to put the power of a G5 inside a smaller form-factor.

Now that Apple is even more keen on smaller form factors and power savings, I could see it happening within the next 5 years.

As nice as virtual machine performance and boot camp are, Apple don't care about that market anymore.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
As nice as virtual machine performance and boot camp are, Apple don't care about that market anymore.
I'm sure a lot of people would have a problem with that. Especially since the ability to own your Mac and still run Windows is a big factor in quite a few people switching over in the first place.

rezuth

Passive cooling, tiny architecture, extreme battery life etc etc

Please update Macbook Pro. They are 8 Months past their last one. Perhaps GeForce GTX 850M dedicated graphics and higher Haswell clock rate?

Just purchased a 27" iMac a month ago should I return it? I had a feeling a refresh was happening when best buy started running a sale on all there iMacs.

Hatty

Just purchased a 27" iMac a month ago should I return it? I had a feeling a refresh was happening when best buy started running a sale on all there iMacs.

it will be a minor spec bump if anything
and if its retina you'd be doing yourself a favor in avoiding it, first gen retinas are usually a little unstable

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Please update Macbook Pro. They are 8 Months past their last one. Perhaps GeForce GTX 850M dedicated graphics and higher Haswell clock rate?
8 months is nothing. Updates are yearly now with occasional 6-month micro-bumps on certain machines. Don't expect anything until November.

Apple expected to unveil new smart home platform at WWDC - report

Apple’s integrated system will make it easier to set up and control new “smart home” devices. For example, a home’s lights might automatically come on when the owner enters the house, using their iPhone to wirelessly signal their arrival. Such a system was outlined in an Apple patent filing, published in November last year.

hmmm, i just bought a smart things bundle too :/

Iacobellis

What about the iPhone 6? Chances it comes out in the summer?

I wish Apple would return to their summer release schedule for the iPhone. It seems like they are more focused on dumping their key products in the fall/winter now.

Besides, if the new iPhone did come out next month, we would have already been beta testing iOS 8 since April.

DedValve

Banned
I just bought an iPad Air like a month and a half ago on AT&T. Shoot. Him, they say they offer trade in so I'll see about upgrading only if the next one is a ridiculous improvement.

Iacobellis

I wouldn't mind a bit of flatness but I hope it's not as extreme as iOS.

After using iOS 7 for almost a year now, OS X is beginning to look a little archaic to me. Going flat would mean Apple could return to the 1:1 design they had between operating systems, a la iOS 6 and Mountain Lion.

Deku Tree

Passive cooling, tiny architecture, extreme battery life etc etc

This. Plus native support for iOS apps. And a unified developer environment.

My best guess is that Apple may be partially using the threat of switching to ARM to keep the pressure on Intel for quicker and better processor updates.

Top Bottom