• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
Any chance they'll announce a new line of Retina Macbook Pros? I'm looking to get a new laptop for the Fall semester, and it feels a bit late to buy the current models.

Intel Broadwell has been delayed until late 2014 at which point you may see a retina Macbook update.

I just bought an iPad Air like a month and a half ago on AT&T. Shoot. Him, they say they offer trade in so I'll see about upgrading only if the next one is a ridiculous improvement.

New iPads won't be out till around October most likely.

After using iOS 7 for almost a year now, OS X is beginning to look a little archaic to me. Going flat would mean Apple could return to the 1:1 design they had between operating systems, a la iOS 6 and Mountain Lion.

Yeah, I'm really hoping for an iOS 7 look to 10.10.

Blackhead

Redarse
I wish Apple would return to their summer release schedule for the iPhone. It seems like they are more focused on dumping their key products in the fall/winter now.

Besides, if the new iPhone did come out next month, we would have already been beta testing iOS 8 since April.

For Tim Cook it makes excellent business sense to release the products just in time for the holiday. I think Jobs spread the events over the year (about one per quarter) simply because he likes presenting new things but Tim isn't a showman. In miss the spring and summer releases :/

LCfiner

I pray for split screen multi tasking in iOS 8 for iPad

That's all I want this year

that would be a ballsy move by Apple to add it. But that - along with more robust file handling capabilities for apps - would be steps to make a theoretical iPad Pro happen and not be hamstrung by current limitations of the OS.

I'm personally fine with the fullscreen app limitation of iOS on the ipad. I'm not so OK with the file handling limitations - I bang my head against it once a month or so.

I'm very curious if iOS will start to diverge more and more between iphone and iPad in the next few years. if anything, iOS 7 made them more alike than iOS 6 (notification center and folder sizes) and I think they need to step away from that.

Majine

Banned
I hope iOS8 has some iPad attention to it. I like iOS7 but it's clearly an iPhone OS first, and iPad OS second. For all that Tim Cook laughs at stretched-up smartphone apps on Android tablets, that's kinda what I feel most of the time on iPad right now.

Toki767

It figures the one year I am actually interested in buying a MacBook, they delay it until Q3. Don't they usually refresh during Summer?

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
Kind of OT here, but how much of an improvement is PCI-e SSD over SATA SSD? Is it worth the lack of upgradability?

SSDs saturated SATA III 6Gbps basically as soon as it came out.

There's going to be a new SATA interface called SATA express (which uses PCI-E) to address this. Might be worth waiting for this as PCI-E SSDs aren't mainstream at the moment.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Goddam, if they unveiled this live on stage it would be the mother of all demos.

Sidenote: when was the last time Apple actually managed to keep a new product/feature a secret until a surprise unveiling? I wouldn't be surprised if the Beats deal was leaked from the Apple camp as well.
Has this ever happened? If I remember correctly, even the Intel switch was massively rumored in the few months before they unveiled it at WWDC.

Same with the iPhone. It was rumored and everyone figured it would never happen. But then again it was a strong rumor.

How about the original iPod? I don't remember a lot of people expecting that to ever happen. So much speculation but no one knew what Apple was up to. Just a press invite with one of Apple's usual cryptically worded messages.

Maybe iPod Hi-Fi? No one ever expected them to introduce something that silly.

My god. One more week.

Blackhead

Redarse
Has this ever happened? If I remember correctly, even the Intel switch was massively rumored in the few months before they unveiled it at WWDC.

Same with the iPhone. It was rumored and everyone figured it would never happen. But then again it was a strong rumor.

How about the original iPod? I don't remember a lot of people expecting that to ever happen. So much speculation but no one knew what Apple was up to. Just a press invite with one of Apple's usual cryptically worded messages.

Maybe iPod Hi-Fi? No one ever expected them to introduce something that silly.

My god. One more week.

Hardware is somewhat understandable since everything is manufactured in China months in advance these days but the software leaks, which is all done in-house at Cupertino, is inexcusable. Healthbook was leaked long before the next event. We knew about Siri, down to the purple icon, before the unveil. Tim Cook said he would double down on preventing leaks and he's failed completely.

Iacobellis

For Tim Cook it makes excellent business sense to release the products just in time for the holiday. I think Jobs spread the events over the year (about one per quarter) simply because he likes presenting new things but Tim isn't a showman. In miss the spring and summer releases :/

Having a new iPhone to mess around with in June was always a kick ass way to start off my summer. I remember when my parents' iPhone 4's came in and being blown away by the Retina Display.

Still waiting on another massive 3GS to 4 leap, Apple...

Iacobellis

What are the advantages of ARM?

Lower power consumption, smaller size (smaller/thinner devices), compatibility with iOS apps... Just to name a few.

This would severely be a backwards step to what Apple achieved with the Intel transition, though. We would end up waiting for other OEMs to switch this time instead of playing catch up.

Servbot24

Banned
Lower power consumption, smaller size (smaller/thinner devices), compatibility with iOS apps... Just to name a few.

This would severely be a backwards step to what Apple achieved with the Intel transition, though. We would end up waiting for other OEMs to switch this time instead of playing catch up.

All of those benefits sound irrelevant for iMacs, so I guess I'm not hoping for that.

northead

I want to see iOS 8, but the lack of new iPhone hardware is a bit disappointing. I know it'll get announced in September (maybe even earlier), but this is not the point.

iOS 8 should be optimized for the larger screen, and I want to see the new hardware running the modified software - not just some stupid scaling. Not necessarily asking for widgets, but at least... Something. Whatever. Just not a *forced* grid once again.

Still, since iOS 8 is bound to run on all previous <4.7" iPhones (so arguably in the same way), the moment something new and more hardware related gets announced it can be shown alongside the new product.

But why is Apple trying to push all of the new products to H2 is still unclear to me.
Let's at least prey for OS X 10.10...

KtSlime

It's obvious Apple hates being stuck relying on Intels time table. Soon as arm is technically capable enough they will switch no doubt.
Everyone is really critical of when Apple is slow to release a new version of iMac/MBP/MBA etc, it really is only natural they would want to get away from Intel as it is Intel which puts them in that situation.

Two Words

How difficult would it be to switch OS X from an x86 architecture to an ARM architecture? Would all legacy software be borked? Mac App Store apps? Video games? Would it be the return of Mac software having a Berlin wall between it and Windows software and old Mac software like what existed when Apple was on PPC?

KtSlime

How difficult would it be to switch OS X from an x86 architecture to an ARM architecture? Would all legacy software be borked? Mac App Store apps? Video games? Would it be the return of Mac software having a Berlin wall between it and Windows software and old Mac software like what existed when Apple was on PPC?

Very easy, this would be their 5th (if you count NeXT's work as well 7th) transition, so they are pretty much best in the business at it. Mac App Store apps since they have pretty rigorous rules about what can and can't be done when submitting them would likely be as easy as developer updating to the new version of Xcode, Xcode compiles both x86 and ARM binaries, uploads both to server. Video games would be the hardest, but ARM and x86_64 are much more like each other than PPC and x86. As for legacy software, they could do an emulation layer much like they did with Rosetta PPC->x86 but it would possibly be faster and less buggy because there is a lot less to translate.

jstripes

Banned
Everyone is really critical of when Apple is slow to release a new version of iMac/MBP/MBA etc, it really is only natural they would want to get away from Intel as it is Intel which puts them in that situation.

Then what happens a few years down the road when ARM gets lazy in updating their architecture? Impatiently switch boats again?

It's not like we're dealing with a IBM PowerPC G5 level of delay here. Intel has an actual roadmap.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So when iOS 8 is announced, whats the GAF policy on UDID registrations?
It would be pretty neat if the AppleSeed program ended up being extended to iOS and major OS X betas. It's all opt-in, so you'd be accepting the risks yourself, but since pretty much everyone who wants to try out unfinished Apple OS' are going to figure out ways anyway, it makes sense to just make it easy as they can and get as much feedback as they can from actual users and not just developers.

That's one thing I'm hoping for from WWDC. Not sure if I'll install either of them right away, but when they start getting close to release and stable enough it would be neat to be ahead of everyone else.

Side note: I wonder when 10.9.4 will be entering Beta. Here I am sitting on a perfectly stable 10.9.3 waiting anxiously for a new buggy update.

Juice

Having a new iPhone to mess around with in June was always a kick ass way to start off my summer. I remember when my parents' iPhone 4's came in and being blown away by the Retina Display.

Still waiting on another massive 3GS to 4 leap, Apple...

The slow summer news cycles was also brutal to the iPhone 4. If the iPhone 4 had released in late September, there wouldn't have been enough oxygen in the room to keep Antennagate alive.

Then what happens a few years down the road when ARM gets lazy in updating their architecture? Impatiently switch boats again?

It's not like we're dealing with a IBM PowerPC G5 level of delay here. Intel has an actual roadmap.

With ARM, you can license and build your own chips. With Intel, they design and build, and you pay for it. They aren't a fab for hire, which leads to situations like right now, where Broadwell (Intel's latest gen chipset) is late, forcing all of their vendors to either go with last year's architecture or wait and miss their usual product window. Apple did a virtually silent refresh of the Air because they don't have the new Intel hardware to do anything better.

It's not all glum; Intel is still a behemoth in tech and they know how to build bleeding-edge microprocessors. There's little advantage to roll their own PC processors given what momentum Intel has. But if ARM can continue their momentum, there may come a day where the advantages of going it on their own are too tempting for Apple to refuse.

As such I absolutely believe Apple has prototyped ARM laptops but I can't imagine an actual retail product being less than 5 years off. The industry just has too many huge challenges in the near future (graphene, for instance) and Apple is better off having somebody else pay to do the work.

KtSlime

Apple can fork ARM, they couldn't PPC; they have invested some serious talent into working on SoCs. Intel's roadmap is a year off course, and they frequently have delays.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my, just reading that a home automation featureset may be in the works.
Its great, I have a lot of the philips hue wifi lights and its the best. thats actually one of my most used iOS apps is the light remote. it even works over 3g and has really intense scheduling features.

KtSlime

Apple prototypes lots of things that never come to be. Like putting 3G antennas in old PowerBooks.

I was responding to the relative difficulty in making the jump, not in the likelihood or the time frame.

It is however in Apple's best interest to get away from Intel if Intel continues to move at glacial-pace due to their market dominance in the x86 architecture, especially when they can save $200-300 on components when building a computer. But personally I think they have something different in the pipeline coming out before their try their hand at an ARM notebook.

Hatty

It's not easy to do though, even if you are comfortable building a PC. Best left to a PRO.

I wouldn't say its hard to do, Just a few screws, no adhesives or any other annoyances
Upgrading the Harddrive or retrofitting a fusion drive in a newer iMac though, now THATS difficult

Cse

Banned

What would it mean for all current OSX software?

Apple would likely rewrite all of their official apps to work on ARM, but what about the thousands of programs running on Intel based OSX machines?

Top Bottom