• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC14 Thread of iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10

KtSlime

What would it mean for all current OSX software?

Apple would likely rewrite all of their official apps to work on ARM, but what about the thousands of programs running on Intel based OSX machines?

What is this, 1968? Apple likely would have to rewrite nothing as they already have the kernel running on ARM (iOS) and their software is written in C/C++/Objective C, which is highly portable and very efficiently compiled due to the LLVM project which they are active contributors to.

Servbot24

Banned
I wouldn't say its hard to do, Just a few screws, no adhesives or any other annoyances
Upgrading the Harddrive or retrofitting a fusion drive in a newer iMac though, now THATS difficult
Just go external provided you have a Thunderbolt port. Slightly slower than internal SSD but will still smoke an HDD.

Hatty

Just go external provided you have a Thunderbolt port. Slightly slower than internal SSD but will still smoke an HDD.
Isn't the problem with this that the drive may not be available right away at start up causing problems? Or is thunderbolt different?

What is this, 1968? Apple likely would have to rewrite nothing as they already have the kernel running on ARM (iOS) and their software is written in C/C++/Objective C, which is highly portable and very efficiently compiled due to the LLVM project which they are active contributors to.

but everything would need to be recompiled. I know Apple would probably do it but how many companies and people are going to do that just to support a shitty arm chip.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
but everything would need to be recompiled. I know Apple would probably do it but how many companies and people are going to do that for a shitty arm chip.

who cares lets just leave it all behind.

KtSlime

but everything would need to be recompiled. I know Apple would probably do it but how many companies and people are going to do that just to support a shitty arm chip.
You have to recompile with every update and whenever Apple releases a new version of OS X, this isn't really any different to the developer.

who cares lets just leave it all behind.

Meh, I don't care either way. I just think going to arm chips is a shitty idea.

You have to recompile with every update and whenever Apple releases a new version of OS X, this isn't really any different to the developer.

no you don't.

apps will work across different versions unless apple changes or adds anything. Some of the stuff I've used was made for Snow Leopard.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Let's stop talking about the silly ARM rumor. Even if it does come true, I highly doubt it'll be this year or even next. In fact it might be for some machines that Apple hasn't even shown off yet. Or they're just experimenting like they always do. Either way, it has nothing to do with WWDC and shouldn't even have been mentioned in here.

Let's just continue talking about the more likely stuff like OS X 10.10, iOS 8, Home Automation, possibly AppleTV with App Store (My wishful thinking of course) and the silly iWatch.

Let's stop talking about the silly ARM rumor. Even if it does come true, I highly doubt it'll be this year or even next. In fact it might be for some machines that Apple hasn't even shown off yet. Or they're just experimenting like they always do. Either way, it has nothing to do with WWDC and shouldn't even have been mentioned in here.

Let's just continue talking about the more likely stuff like OS X 10.10, iOS 8, Home Automation, possibly AppleTV with App Store (My wishful thinking of course) and the silly iWatch.

I suspect that a seriously new Apple TV or an iWatch would need their own event.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
the home automation stuff just feels like another thing that already exists - perhaps in an ad-hoc or janky way - that Apple can scoop up, polish, and claim as their own.

Although I'd like to see it, it is just frustrating that nobody else has managed to consolidate this area into a decent standard.

FerranMG

Interesting...
I'm actually super psyched to use Healthbook, I think it could be a game changer if it's integrated correctly with iWatch (or the other way around).
I've been using the Fitbit app with my 5S, and it has made me walk more. Having all my steps measured and graphed has pushed me to try to beat myself.
This situation expanded onto other areas could be very interesting.

njean777

I take the arm stuff as weird, but Apple wouldn't do anything that is outright stupid. The move to Intel was rough for about 2 years, but eventually everything worked out. IF they do move to Arm I am sure it will not majorly screw anything up.

Isn't the problem with this that the drive may not be available right away at start up causing problems? Or is thunderbolt different?

It's available. Macs can boot off USB/TB/SD/FW and even storage attached to PCI-E cards that have the right chipset(s)/firmware.

What would it mean for all current OSX software?

... we've already done this going from 68k to PPC, and PPC to Intel, not to mention OS9 to OS X. It's annoying at the time but not the end of the world.

My biggest concern is how slow the amd64 emulation layer would be running on ARM, assuming they do so.

Is it possible to have co-processors? In the '90s there was a Mac with a "DOS card" which was a 286 or 386 on an expansion card while the CPU on the motherboard was a 68k.

moniker

I can see them going ARM for an ultraportable, while staying on x86 for the Pro machines (at least for now).

Two Words

I thought a laptop display is still the largest draw on a battery outside of the CPU and GPU being under constant heavy load?

rezuth

I thought a laptop display is still the largest draw on a battery outside of the CPU and GPU being under constant heavy load?

Smaller architecture means passive cooling, less die etc, which equals bigger room for batteries. It's like when they removed the optical drives.

rezuth

I would imagine Apple would use the opportunity to make a thinner laptop instead of a same size laptop with a crazy battery life.

Even if they make them thinner they have removed a whole active cooling system with fans that take up a lot of room, along with removing an insanely amount of die.

MacBook-Air-Batteries-650x455.jpg

We are talking about essentially removing the top third of that.

Somnid

Windows RT doesn't even allow you to run third party desktop apps. Microsoft has bigger issues.

Well RT doesn't even really have a desktop. Their biggest mistake was that weird almost desktop because they didn't have office available as a metro app and it confused everyone. Nobody confuses an iPad for an iMac and complains they can't run their OSX applications.

I do think that the current MacBook Air very clearly has "good enough" battery life - in that I can use it insanely heavily for an entire day and not worry about running out of battery, then plug it in at night. Double that would be great, but it's "good enough" in the sense that I never need to worry about battery as long as I plug it in every night (or, more realistically, every other night).

So yeah, I could see Apple wanting to take the opportunity to make the laptop even thinner/cooler. But it's also absolutely "good enough" in those respects too, so it's hard to say what happens there.

moniker

So yeah, I could see Apple wanting to take the opportunity to make the laptop even thinner/cooler. But it's also absolutely "good enough" in those respects too, so it's hard to say what happens there.

There are also other factors to consider. Apple would control more of the supply chain and wouldn't be tied to Intel's release schedule. There would probably be cost savings involved as well.

Pooya

I like x86 macs because they're really well built PCs I can do whatever I want with, frankly I buy mbps because I can run windows on it and that's what I use mostly on them. Switching to ARM, chances are it just runs iOS or what iOS will turn into by then, not exactly thrilled by that.

KtSlime

I like x86 macs because they're really well built PCs I can do whatever I want with, frankly I buy mbps because I can run windows on it and that's what I use mostly on them. Switching to ARM, chances are it just runs iOS or what iOS will turn into by then, not exactly thrilled by that.

If they made an ARM notebook it would not run iOS, I highly doubt it would even have a touch screen. As to running x86 code, there are lots of options, maybe a coprocessor to translate some of the CISC on the GPU (AMD has an x86_64 license, they did create it, and AMD is very flexible about licensing to SoCs). They could do it all software, etc. I like the idea of running Windows if I need to, but I so rarely find myself doing it, I think most people if they were honest with themselves would realize the same.

Fuchsdh

I pray for split screen multi tasking in iOS 8 for iPad

That's all I want this year

Everyone is really critical of when Apple is slow to release a new version of iMac/MBP/MBA etc, it really is only natural they would want to get away from Intel as it is Intel which puts them in that situation.

Considering how much they've talked about recently how they don't see OS X and iOS merging, I don't think that switching to ARM is particularly what they *want* to do. Will they if they feel they have no other choice with Intel's processor selection? Perhaps, but we're some ways away from that, I suspect.

(Look at how long they held to PPC even though it was pretty clear with the G5's introduction that it was not the leap forward everyone was hoping for, hence the "3GHz" remarks that couldn't actually be fulfilled.)

Juice

Considering how much they've talked about recently how they don't see OS X and iOS merging, I don't think that switching to ARM is particularly what they *want* to do. Will they if they feel they have no other choice with Intel's processor selection? Perhaps, but we're some ways away from that, I suspect.

(Look at how long they held to PPC even though it was pretty clear with the G5's introduction that it was not the leap forward everyone was hoping for, hence the "3GHz" remarks that couldn't actually be fulfilled.)

Yep. Apple sells products. The guts inside are just a means to an ends. If other guts would produce a product that's closer than what they want then they'll use that.

I do think that the current MacBook Air very clearly has "good enough" battery life - in that I can use it insanely heavily for an entire day and not worry about running out of battery, then plug it in at night. Double that would be great, but it's "good enough" in the sense that I never need to worry about battery as long as I plug it in every night (or, more realistically, every other night).

Right. And Broadwell's lower power consumption while in use is going to push that 12-hour battery life probably closer to 15-18 hours, at which point, we don't really need better battery life.

Fuchsdh

It'll be live streamed: https://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2014/

Streaming video requires Safari 4 or later on Mac OS X v10.6 or later; Safari on iOS 4.2 or later; or QuickTime 7 on Windows. Streaming via Apple TV requires second- or third-generation Apple TV with software 5.0.2 or later.

Huzzah!

Right. And Broadwell's lower power consumption while in use is going to push that 12-hour battery life probably closer to 15-18 hours, at which point, we don't really need better battery life.

I think we're still aways from that eventuality, but I do think at some point they're going to stop advertising battery life for mobile devices and crotchety old man me will have his mind blown that we don't really care that much about power needs anymore.

edgefusion

I hope with iOS 8 they actually put some thought into the iPad version of the interface. I'm fed up of so much of the interface feeling clunky and awkward. It was clearly designed as iPhone first, shoe-horned onto iPad second. It's about time they put as much care and thought into the interface as they do their other platforms.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Streaming video requires Safari 4 or later on Mac OS X v10.6 or later; Safari on iOS 4.2 or later; or QuickTime 7 on Windows. Streaming via Apple TV requires second- or third-generation Apple TV with software 5.0.2 or later.

So, I use a Macbook Air and an iPhone 5 and my Windows computers have QuickTime and I have AppleTVs that meet the requirements, so obviously I'm not negatively impacted by this... but I really have no idea why Apple doesn't use more standardized Streaming tech for this stuff. I mean, I guess I do know, it's a mix of technical reasons and stubbornness, but still, it's always sort of made me raise my eyebrow.

Majine

Banned
So, I use a Macbook Air and an iPhone 5 and my Windows computers have QuickTime and I have AppleTVs that meet the requirements, so obviously I'm not negatively impacted by this... but I really have no idea why Apple doesn't use more standardized Streaming tech for this stuff. I mean, I guess I do know, it's a mix of technical reasons and stubbornness, but still, it's always sort of made me raise my eyebrow.

I wonder how much of it is because it's Google (Youtube and soon Twitch I presume).

thenexus6

Yes! I don't have an apple tv, was going to ask my Uncle whose coming on Sunday if I could borrow his but i'll just watch on my laptop now

Iacobellis

The slow summer news cycles was also brutal to the iPhone 4. If the iPhone 4 had released in late September, there wouldn't have been enough oxygen in the room to keep Antennagate alive.

And today I learned that the news is slower in the summer.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Steve Jobs talking about past Mac transitions at WWDC 2005, announcing the Intel transition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=K0KNLCbzZUw#t=1309
I miss when Spotlight's results looked like that. With the groups and the sidebar full of options. It was so much better. So goddamn fast. So awesome. But it only lasted for one version. Then it was gone. The grouping we have now is nothing compared to it. Bah. I loved that Spotlight.

Oh, and when image file thumbnails didn't have that ugly-ass thick white "photograph" border on them. Fucking hell I hate that. When you had a transparent PNG or GIF in the Finder it blended in with the background and photos had a slight shadow. Now they all get bordered with a fugly thick white border. Goddammit I hope that's one of the things 10.10 gets rid of as part of its UI unification.

What I don't miss however is brushed metal and thick separators between sidebar and content and thick borders around the window in iTunes, iCal, iPhoto and the Finder. Those can gladly die in a fire.

Oh, and Widgets are amazingly still around. I haven't used them in 8 years. As long as 10.10 still lets me disable them I don't care.

And dat Mr. and Mrs. Smith trailer. lol "Alright, enough of that!"

Oh, and Widgets are amazingly still around. I haven't used them in 8 years. As long as 10.10 still lets me disable them I don't care.

I kinda feel like it's time for Dashboard to go, it's 10 years old now. Does anybody really use it anymore? Maybe move the weather, calendar etc. into notification center or something.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I kinda feel like it's time for Dashboard to go, it's 10 years old now. Does anybody really use it anymore? Maybe move the weather, calendar etc. into notification center or something.
I agree. Let it go. All the stuff that Widgets do is done better with other services. And many could be put into the OS with some tweaks to Notification Center. (Imagine "Today" with its own sidebar on the left side showing weather, time and upcoming events and stuff.) I'm sad Notification Center Widgets never took off. They'd be a perfect replacement on OS X for regular Widgets. Hell, I'd love a gesture where you drag two fingers from the top of the pad down and it would bring down "Today" with all that stuff.

The Wolfram Alpha stuff was the best part though. Like a stand-up routine. "Oh not to worry, cuz there's this little checkbox and you'll click the little checkbox and it'll be fine." "So I said okay, I'll send out our crack team of emergency Macintosh developers that we keep on standby... that'll be Rob." "And I'd especially like to thank the Apple Engineering team for freeing up my weekend."

Top Bottom