• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE '12 |OT| The People's OT

I'll almost certainly catch flak for this, but I'm having a lot more fun simming matches in this than I ever did with Fire Pro.

Even with the shoddy, buggy AI, the matches just feel more realistic and organic than Fire Pro's ever did.

The game is still lacking a ton of polish, the game is buggy as hell, and online is completely unplayable, but I'm liking it so far. I'm sure the novelty will wear off after a bit.

Also, Randy Orton is currently feuding with Brock Lesnar and TAKA Michinoku. On Superstars.

Branson

I'll almost certainly catch flak for this, but I'm having a lot more fun simming matches in this than I ever did with Fire Pro.

Even with the shoddy, buggy AI, the matches just feel more realistic and organic than Fire Pro's ever did.

The game is still lacking a ton of polish, the game is buggy as hell, and online is completely unplayable, but I'm liking it so far. I'm sure the novelty will wear off after a bit.

Also, Randy Orton is currently feuding with Brock Lesnar and TAKA Michinoku. On Superstars.

I completely understand. I sim more than I play and this has taken over fire pro as my perfered way to sim. I still love Fire Pro it's just that this is more current, great roster, etc.

I'd love do more simming. I really wish I could switch out the Thursday night show for a full TNA iMPACT on that day. Also, I wish I could book events on the other nights of the week. :/

I've never simmed someone explain the appeal

I like playing the game most of the time, but I sometimes feel that there is a better flow to the match if the AI just works against itself. Also, some people prefer the booking aspect of wrestling.

I'm surprised there is no full GM mode in these games. Also, I'd like to see matches based more on booking certain finishes were the goal isn't necessarily to win, but to put the other guy over, hit certain spots and so forth.

I'm having a lot of fun with WWE Universe. It's certainly the best thing about WWE '12. I have it currently set up with WCW shows and PPVs.

I really really hope they expand WWE Universe in WWE '13 and give me more flexibility and features. I want to be able to change which days of the week my shows are on. I want Create-a-Title back.

I want them to fix stables. I've got Kevin Nash and Scott Hall as tag partners in the nWo and they must go into the first two spots to make it work. So I've got Hogan in the 3rd spot on the list. Problem is, once I go to set their Trio entrance everyone is in their wrong spots. In order to fix this Hogan and Nash would have to become 1 & 2 thus killing the tag team I set up. I don't understand the reasoning behind setting it up that way but I wish they change it. I know I'm being a little picky when it comes to something like that but it bugs me.

Also I hope the Community Creation servers get fixed soon. I'm starting to get booted off from it more often then I did a week ago.

I'm having a lot of fun with WWE Universe. It's certainly the best thing about WWE '12. I have it currently set up with WCW shows and PPVs.

I really really hope they expand WWE Universe in WWE '13 and give me more flexibility and features. I want to be able to change which days of the week my shows are on. I want Create-a-Title back.

I want them to fix stables. I've got Kevin Nash and Scott Hall as tag partners in the nWo and they must go into the first two spots to make it work. So I've got Hogan in the 3rd spot on the list. Problem is, once I go to set their Trio entrance everyone is in their wrong spots. In order to fix this Hogan and Nash would have to become 1 & 2 thus killing the tag team I set up. I don't understand the reasoning behind setting it up that way but I wish they change it. I know I'm being a little picky when it comes to something like that but it bugs me.

Also I hope the Community Creation servers get fixed soon. I'm starting to get booted off from it more often then I did a week ago.

It's sad that they could never get around to properly fixing this issue. When is the new DLC hitting?

It's sad that they could never get around to properly fixing this issue. When is the new DLC hitting?
I guess they just sent a title update to Microsoft that fixes some problems between the game and the server.

The Legends DLC pack is supposed to hit sometime this month. Also I heard there's going to be some "make-good DLC" because of the CC problems. We'll see about that.

This game is horrible. I'm sorry but its a broken mess with less features than the PS2 games that are nearly a decade old. Less ability to control things, its not fluid and performing simple moves is just a pain in the ass. The Undertakers Old School for example. As I took the game back the store clerk nodded in agreement and told me you can't even get 'on' the commentary desk to do a move through it apparently? What the hell are THQ doing? Apart from strategically removing features each year! Disappointed to say the least.

Branson

This game is horrible. I'm sorry but its a broken mess with less features than the PS2 games that are nearly a decade old. Less ability to control things, its not fluid and performing simple moves is just a pain in the ass. The Undertakers Old School for example. As I took the game back the store clerk nodded in agreement and told me you can't even get 'on' the commentary desk to do a move through it apparently? What the hell are THQ doing? Apart from strategically removing features each year! Disappointed to say the least.

If you've followed the game throughout the years this is still a small improvement and a step in the right direction. I don't disagree when you say it's disappointing compared to older games, but as far as the hd versions go this one is the best unfortunately. I suggest trying out all-stars. It's great.

I don't believe we've played the same game.

There are plenty of issues with the game but I haven't had problems with anything you've listed.

The game is pretty good but still pales compared to HCTP and SYM on the PS2. It boggles my mind on how Yukes went from expanding on concepts all the way to HCTP to annually removing features from every game. This is my first WWE game I bought since 07. Not to mention the animation for the moves are complete shit. Its inexcusable how the moves look more authentic and fluid in the PS2 games than a new WWE game released this far into the generation.

My mind would be blown on how good the moves looked in SYM and HCTP. The moves looked like they were taken right from TV. Now it seems like all those awesome moves are replaced with animations that were stolen from WcW Mayhem on the PS1.

Another thing that bothers me is the weight detection. HCTP and the GC games did it well. Fighting Big Show and Andre actually felt like...well fighting Big Show and Andre. It looks ridiculous when Alberto Del Rio can toss around Big Show with ease in this game.

JdFoX187

Banned
I just want to say that it is completely unacceptable that more than a month after the game's launch the online still doesn't function properly. This is fucking ridiculous.

If you've followed the game throughout the years this is still a small improvement and a step in the right direction. I don't disagree when you say it's disappointing compared to older games, but as far as the hd versions go this one is the best unfortunately. I suggest trying out all-stars. It's great.

I admit, I tried the 2008 or 2009 version and was pretty disappointed with the graphic and gameplay progression, but at least you could break through the commentary table with regular moves! The last Smackdown games I really played were from the golden PS2 era days of piling 2 tables and a ladder on top of the announce desk.. THOSE were the days, why the hell cant we do that kind of shit anymore!??

I have Allstars and feel its definitely the superior game, even with the lack of features.

Anyone remember Royal Rumble on the Dreamcast? That was another arcade take on the Smackdown formula, I thought it was a similar case, more fun to play than the PS1 games but lacked so many features.. A shame.

I don't believe we've played the same game.

There are plenty of issues with the game but I haven't had problems with anything you've listed.

Really? Could you please share with me how you walk on top of the commentary desk because I for one simply can't do it!!

RBH

WWE ’12 Patch List Notes

General Gameplay

Fixed an issue where the ring texture would flash black or different colors
Addressed multiple Finisher system bugs in which players were awarded too many or too few Finishers
Fixed an issue where the Defender would freeze if the Right Stick was pressed in any direction while being Irish Whipped
Fixed an issue where two Superstars in a pin sequence swapped positions when an interfering Superstar woke the referee as he/she was standing
Fixed an issue where Superstars would freeze if certain running corner attacks were performed in the Royal Rumble
Both attacks in the Running Strikes and Running Grapples categories should now trigger consistently
Fixed several situations where a created Superstar’s move set was being improperly reset to default settings
Fixed several instances where players could Irish Whip their opponents through the Cell and/or Barricade
Fixed an issue that caused Superstars to freeze when a Finisher was performed
Sound is now working correctly after restarting a Brawl
Tuned pin escape mini-game in Elimination Chamber matches. Players can now escape after being hit with a Finisher.
Fixed a problem where tables were not properly re-spawning in Tables matches (PS3 only)
Fixed cameras for environmental weapons attacks
Various gameplay bug fixes

Universe Mode

Brands can now consist entirely of created Superstars. However, match card creation still requires players to use Superstars with at least one of each crowd reaction setting (‘boo’ and ‘cheer’) to properly book matches.
The Draft option now functions properly
Lowered the frequency of injuries in Universe Mode
Addressed issue where Royal Rumble and Money in the Bank winners were not getting their title shots at WrestleMania and/or the option to cash in Money in the Bank
Fixed various crashes to help improve overall stability of Universe Mode
Various Universe Mode bug fixes

Made numerous improvements to help improve stability and reliability of Community Creations.
General stability improvements in Royal Rumble matches

Miscellaneous

Fixed an issue where the DLC versions of Edge and Christian’s entrance animations were replaced by Alberto Del Rio’s animations if edits were made to their music and/or mini-tron
Players can now edit a created Superstar’s move set after viewing the model in Community Creations
Resolved several issues with Divas entrances
Props can now be disabled during entrances
Fixed several issues with Custom Soundtracks
General stability improvements in Story Designer Mode
http://wwe.thq.com/go/article/view/252593/wwe-12-title-update-notes-and-dlc-mysteries-revealed

WWE '12 Creative Director, Cory Ledesma, gives all of the details on this month's title update (patch) and DLC.
Hello WWE Games Universe,

I wanted to first start off by thanking you for your purchase of WWE ’12, and I hope you’ve been having as much fun playing the game as our team had making the game. Your passion and devotion to WWE games pushes us each and every day to make the best games possible. These are not just games we want to make but games you want us to make: they are The People’s Games. Please continue to voice your feedback, and we’ll continue listening to you each and every year.

I also want to apologize on behalf of our THQ team for the early technical problems experienced with our popular Online Community Creations feature. The transition to a new server can sometimes generate unforeseen issues, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused anyone. We truly appreciate your patience and support! As a token of our appreciation, we’ve included a free Superstar in our upcoming Legends & Superstars DLC Pack release to thank you for your patience. The free Superstar is a retro masked Kane from the Attitude Era. With the recent debut of the new masked Kane, we felt it would be fitting to include some Kane nostalgia for your enjoyment. This special addition to the DLC pack will be available free of charge for the first two weeks of release. Although we would love to include the latest masked Kane, the date of his debut and our model creation timelines made it impossible to include him in this pack. Please enjoy the latest addition to your roster, courtesy of THQ, and make sure Attitude Era Kane gives the rest of your roster hell!

Last but certainly not least, in addition to the launch of our Legends & Superstars DLC Pack on January 31, we are also deploying a new patch on January 30 that will address a number of issues and improve your overall gaming experience. We’ve included a high level list of the patch notes below so you can see what’s coming soon. For folks who are in Europe and play on the PS3, your DLC release date will be February 1. This falls in line with the normal PS3 territorial DLC release schedule.

Thanks again for all of your support!

Cory Ledesma

Creative Director, WWE Games

As a token of our appreciation, we’ve included a free Superstar in our upcoming Legends & Superstars DLC Pack release to thank you for your patience. The free Superstar is a retro masked Kane from the Attitude Era. With the recent debut of the new masked Kane, we felt it would be fitting to include some Kane nostalgia for your enjoyment. This special addition to the DLC pack will be available free of charge for the first two weeks of release. Although we would love to include the latest masked Kane, the date of his debut and our model creation timelines made it impossible to include him in this pack. Please enjoy the latest addition to your roster, courtesy of THQ, and make sure Attitude Era Kane gives the rest of your roster hell!

http://fast1.onesite.com/wwe.thq.com/newsimages/Masked-Kane4.jpg
http://fast1.onesite.com/wwe.thq.com/newsimages/Masked-Kane1.jpg

Sokantish

So is this big? I was actually thinking of getting the game but a ton of people were saying how bad it was. If this fixes a lot of what's wrong with it maybe I will get it. Or does this just fix up a game that's still just really bad?

RBH

So is this big? I was actually thinking of getting the game but a ton of people were saying how bad it was. If this fixes a lot of what's wrong with it maybe I will get it. Or does this just fix up a game that's still just really bad?

The main problem with the game (and the franchise) has always been the core gameplay engine. The creation stuff and universe mode are all top of its class, but it's hurt alot by a gameplay system that's been around for years now and is just not very fun to play imo.

If you're on the fence, my suggestion would be to go to a RedBox and rent the game for a day or two to see how you like it.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Do I have to agree to the terms of agreement every time I try to jump online to download wrestlers?

shiroryu

^ Caspel: No, that shouldn't be necessary.

Liking WWE Universe, but not being able to clean out the current rosters in Raw and Smackdown brands sucks. Edit: hey, the patch addresses that! Great.

Still wish the Universe mode put in more diva match types by itself rather than the usual/three-way/four-way fights.

Online downloads are still borked, so I end up going online and CAW searching for 30 minutes in the early morning. Have gotten some good CAWs online though.

One thing that really bothers me about this series since day 1 are the reversals. I hate to be another poster to keep praising No Mercy and the AKI games but their chain reversals were fantastic and made the flow of the matches so much better and realistic. Its really pathetic that a WWE game in 2012 can't have unique chain reversal styles on these new systems while WCW vs the World and WCW vs NWO WT on the N64 had them.

cednym

Banned
Just as a reminder, the final batch of DLC is releasing tomorrow.

wLyXp.png

80 MSP / $0.99 PSN

Entrance|Gameplay

Moves Included
• Taunt
• Body Slam
• Jumping Knee Drop
• Diving Elbow Drop

8JBGq.png

80 MSP / $0.99 PSN

Entrance|Gameplay

Moves Included
• Taunt 1
• Taunt 2
• Two-Handed Facecrusher
• Mandible Claw

TugKs.png

80 MSP / $0.99 PSN

Entrance|Gameplay

Moves Included
• Taunt
• Batista Bomb
• Batista Bite (Breaking Point Submission)

FCM27.png

Free

Entrance|Gameplay

Moves Included
• Taunt
• Slingshot Splash
• Claw Hold STO

There's also going to be a free masked Kane available for download, but he isn't going to have any new animations. (Entrance|Gameplay)

Of course, those prices are indicative of individual downloads — this is all included in Fan Axxess if you've already purchased that. I'll edit this post with a full list of the new moves once the content is made available tomorrow.

Striker

Problem I have with the DLC guys is splitting up the community. You'll click on a lobby room to join and it's "This person has a different DLC option, blah blah". It's annoying and kind of makes wait times tedious.

cednym

Banned
I'm actually mostly content with the way that THQ has handled DLC with their WWE games; it's priced fairly, and 95% of it is "real" not-on-the-disc content. It helps with the longevity of the game, anyway, and I'm super excited to finally be able to play as the Macho Man.

Getting 15 new playable characters, 5 alternate costumes, and all of the new moves and animations that come along with that isn't a bad deal at $12. I just wish that the team would be a little more competent when it comes to the offline portions of the game, because there are some serious design flaws and oversights that are preventing me from truly embracing the series.

Striker

I'm actually mostly content with the way that THQ has handled DLC with their WWE games; it's priced fairly, and 95% of it is "real" not-on-the-disc content. It helps with the longevity of the game, anyway, and I'm super excited to finally be able to play as the Macho Man.

Getting 15 new playable characters, 5 alternate costumes, and all of the new moves and animations that come along with that isn't a bad deal at $12. I just wish that the team would be a little more competent when it comes to the offline portions of the game, because there are some serious design flaws and oversights that are preventing me from truly embracing the series.
They keep removing things, too. For example, Macho Man had his taunts in SvR 10 and SvR 11, but they're all gone this year. I guess they anticipated making him a feature as DLC, so that was their option.

JdFoX187

Banned
Any impressions of the patch so far?

Online seems to be even slower than before. Still "server is not available" issues popping up everywhere. Seem to be more freezes now. Couple times I've searched in community creations and it just goes into an infinite "searching" loop and I have to go to dashboard. Also a lot harder to use downloadable CAWs online. Some times it takes literally a couple minutes for it to finally load the CAW, and other times it does that and then says it's no longer on the server or someone else in the game is using it. I think it was more stable pre-patch.

RBH

Online seems to be even slower than before. Still "server is not available" issues popping up everywhere. Seem to be more freezes now. Couple times I've searched in community creations and it just goes into an infinite "searching" loop and I have to go to dashboard. Also a lot harder to use downloadable CAWs online. Some times it takes literally a couple minutes for it to finally load the CAW, and other times it does that and then says it's no longer on the server or someone else in the game is using it. I think it was more stable pre-patch.

Sounds fantastic. :lol

Yep, it's a little bit worse now.

Also the "free" Kane DLC is up for the low low price of 80 MSP.

From what I read, the Kane DLC is only free if you buy one of the other download packs that came out yesterday.
I bought Fan Axxess in December so he was still showing up as 80 MSP. Anyway he's fixed now and is free to everyone for two weeks. Can't believe they're going to charge 80 MSP for something that was supposed to be "make good" DLC for all the CC server problems.

And the servers are still having problems.

Just bought this game and played it for a couple hours. At first, I was unbelievably disappointed. But I feel like I'm getting the hang of it a bit. I haven't played a wrestling game in a LONG time and when I heard 'No Mercy' comparisons, I decided what the hell.

My main interest is this WWE Universe mode. I'm going to marathon it later tonight. To be able to set rosters, cards, etc seems amazing. Can I pre-select the winner of an AI simmed match? I know how incredibly nerdy that sounds, but when I was a kid I'd spend hours with my little Hasbro figures creating cards, feuds, storylines, etc and playing them out.

Can't wait to get into this and see how customizable the universe mode is.

My main interest is this WWE Universe mode. I'm going to marathon it later tonight. To be able to set rosters, cards, etc seems amazing. Can I pre-select the winner of an AI simmed match? I know how incredibly nerdy that sounds, but when I was a kid I'd spend hours with my little Hasbro figures creating cards, feuds, storylines, etc and playing them out.
I haven't seen any option to set winners before a match in Universe. I have to do it manually and just make them win by playing as them.

WatTsu

So it's been a while since this thread was updated. Thinking about picking this up, it looks like a lot of fun and jankiness is sort of a part of wrestling games so it doesn't bother me of there's some of that in it.

Have the servers/online experience stabilized since folks were complaining about it? Also, does the Fan Axxess (or whatever they're calling the $12 DLC unlock) include access to every piece of DLC, or are there individual characters that are not available through it?

So it's been a while since this thread was updated. Thinking about picking this up, it looks like a lot of fun and jankiness is sort of a part of wrestling games so it doesn't bother me of there's some of that in it.

Have the servers/online experience stabilized since folks were complaining about it? Also, does the Fan Axxess (or whatever they're calling the $12 DLC unlock) include access to every piece of DLC, or are there individual characters that are not available through it?
The Community Creation server is still having problems with not being able to connect to it. It seems to work better when it's midnight or early in the morning but I still have problems.

As for Fan Axxess, you gain access to all the DLC packs but you don't get access to The Rock, Miz's alternate attires, and Masked Kane DLC. Those are sold seperately but I don't think The Rock or Miz's attires are up yet.

WatTsu

The Community Creation server is still having problems with not being able to connect to it. It seems to work better when it's midnight or early in the morning but I still have problems.

As for Fan Axxess, you gain access to all the DLC packs but you don't get access to The Rock, Miz's alternate attires, and Masked Kane DLC. Those are sold seperately but I don't think The Rock or Miz's attires are up yet.

I think I can live without all that (probably would pick up The Rock, though). Thanks for your insight!

WatTsu

Picked up the game thanks to the Best Buy sale. Spent a couple hours with it and I like what I see so far. I have some quibbles (no way is Kelly Kelly only 6 points behind Kharma, but that's what the power rating gizmo is for) and the online bits need fixing but I'm glad I picked it up.

Backflip

I'm sorry to bother you guys with that but I'm having a really tough time getting the "You've Got Fans" achievement. I made a pretty sweet Wrestlemania VII arena but couldn't share it as I used a Wrestlemania logo made by someone else (even though I had modified it). That being said, I recently made a Wrestlemania IX arena that I managed to share. It is not too bad but not 100% accurate for obvious reasons. I also have a DX vs nWo arena and a Kinnikuman (from Ultimate Muscle fame) CAW up on Community Creations. My gamer tag is Romaaain and I hope that some of you'll be able to help me. And if you want me to download your creations in return, don't hesitate to ask. Thanks in advance for your help.

Top Bottom