• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE '12 |OT| The People's OT

Picked it up on amazon, almost regretting I did, not sure if it's my controller or what but I cannot counter a thing or even kick out of a pin. I was the undertaker and just got beat by smash of demolition...

edit: adjusted the sliders doing better, but just need to get used to it. Haven't played a wwe game since 2006

What did you adjust the sliders too? I'm having the same issues too and it is frustrating as hell

Why can't THQ make tutorial or practice mode? They sure are as hell aren't spending the time on the graphics

I remember playing the demo of last years game (or it could have been the year before that), and I couldn't figure out what the hell to do and just go destroyed

Damnit when are they going to get the Community Creations servers intact. Seriously guys..

I've just been playing RTWM mode right now, just finished the Villain story. Entertaining and I think the writers who wrote this story are more talented than the guys who write the real stuff on TV.

JdFoX187

Banned
Why can't THQ make tutorial or practice mode? They sure are as hell aren't spending the time on the graphics

I remember playing the demo of last years game (or it could have been the year before that), and I couldn't figure out what the hell to do and just go destroyed
Last year, and the year before I believe, had a practice ring where you could set the A.I. to different settings to try your moves out and get a hang of the game. No idea why they took it out this year.

Damnit when are they going to get the Community Creations servers intact. Seriously guys..

I've just been playing RTWM mode right now, just finished the Villain story. Entertaining and I think the writers who wrote this story are more talented than the guys who write the real stuff on TV.
That's the damn truth. A United Kingdom stable would be awesome.

When I uploaded my story for you guys, it made me take of the name Sin Cara!!!!what shit is that? I had to change to S.Cara when ever he is mentioned. It also made me changethe name of the story to legend of mystico I stead of Sin cara.

Dumb.

Man I'm so horrible at this game now. The controls feel pretty damn weird to me compared to last year's version. I keep trying to use the right stick to perform grapple moves. I can't seem to be able to do other grapple moves other than a submission. I know I'm doing something painfully wrong here but I can't seem to figure this out.

JdFoX187

Banned
Man I'm so horrible at this game now. The controls feel pretty damn weird to me compared to last year's version. I keep trying to use the right stick to perform grapple moves. I can't seem to be able to do other grapple moves other than a submission. I know I'm doing something painfully wrong here but I can't seem to figure this out.
Lightly press A instead of holding it down.

Razorskin

----- ------
Finally starting to get better at this game, I lost 4 times against Cena before beating 2 times in a row.

The draft in universe mode ended pretty badly for me, with goldust getting drafted to smackdown then getting drafted back to raw right after, Cena's on smackdown, Orton's on raw.

Finally starting to get better at this game, I lost 4 times against Cena before beating 2 times in a row.

The draft in universe mode ended pretty badly for me, with goldust getting drafted to smackdown then getting drafted back to raw right after, Cena's on smackdown, Orton's on raw.

Yea wrestling is real...

shiroryu

Got the game, sucks that servers are down.

A question: if you put wrestlers in anything other than Raw/Smackdown, will they be picked up by the Universe mode automatically, or do you have to make custom cards yourself?

Jamie OD

I was eventually able to get on the server and upload my Ribera Steakhouse arena. Hoping to get back on soon and see what non-wrestling CAWs are available.

dreamfall

Game finally arrived from THQ, and after spending some major time with it, I love it. Hell, fights turn into longer, tactical matches that are a lot more challenging and fun than anything since HCTP.

I also played a ton of WWE Allstars, and call me crazy but I almost feel like reversals in this game are a lot more forgiving. Anyone else feel the same? I jumped in, had to get accustomed to not touching that Right analog stick for grapples, but the reversals are definitely rewarding.

Managed to download a couple of things today. Impact Arena was pretty well done. I like that you can change the barriers around the ring. Good stuff.

Also downloaded, Legend of Mystico. That shit had a hilarious cliffhanger. I need more Liquid!

A couple of things I would have changed on that last RAW
Don't show that scene with Brock and Chavo. Just have Cara get a message saying "Here Comes The Pain" and then cut to the scene with Brock jumping Trips from under the ring. Also, will Chavo and Kane be teaming up?

The more I play it, the more I love it. Can't wait to download more creations.

how do I not have guys coming to the ring with belts that I didn't put on them in universe mode??? Also this game is awesome I haven't had this much fun playing a wrestling game in years!

Razorskin

----- ------
how do I not have guys coming to the ring with belts that I didn't put on them in universe mode??? Also this game is awesome I haven't had this much fun playing a wrestling game in years!

In the main menu go options > title settings then select the title you want to vacate. There should be a button prompt in the bottom left with vacate next to it.

is there a quick faq on how grappling works I know "a" grapples but what is the system like

the right stick changes position (are the moves different for these different positions?)
normal grapple moves tap A, different normal grapple moves groggy opponent tap A also?
hold rb to do limb specific moves?

havent played since 10 and im kinda confused here...

In the main menu go options > title settings then select the title you want to vacate. There should be a button prompt in the bottom left with vacate next to it.

I tried that before, they all say vacant. Guys are still listed as champion before i assign them and still come out with the belts in universe mode.

It's frustrating that I can't edit the rosters for WWE Superstars in Universe mode. I wanted to change it to TNA. I have the Ring and Loge, I even created a Brand but it won't let me change the Brand from both Raw and Smackdown to TNA.

Very frustrating. I have no need for Superstars in Universe mode. :/ I guess I just have to edit each match manually when it pops up. I'd still rather have it populated by TNA CAWS.

I tried that before, they all say vacant. Guys are still listed as champion before i assign them and still come out with the belts in universe mode.

The titles you see in the option menu are the EXHIBITION Titles. WWE Universe is a completely separate mode this time out and those titles have to be dealt with IN that mode. The problem is that THQ STILL hasn't given us full control so it's hard to vacate Universe titles, the "free agents" still appear on shows, the Universe AI logic seems worse than ever, and apparently you HAVE to use at least 15 on disc wrestlers no matter what which makes having a Universe filled with only CAWs impossible.

Mr. Sam

I can't believe it's the additional modes that are most on the end of criticisms; I thought for sure it was the core game that was going to be most noticeably garbage. I can't wait for Keyser Soze - that sellout! - to join the fray when his copy arrives.

is there a quick faq on how grappling works I know "a" grapples but what is the system like

the right stick changes position (are the moves different for these different positions?)
normal grapple moves tap A, different normal grapple moves groggy opponent tap A also?
hold rb to do limb specific moves?

havent played since 10 and im kinda confused here...
Extended Manual PDFs:
PS3

I can't believe it's the additional modes that are most on the end of criticisms; I thought for sure it was the core game that was going to be most noticeably garbage. I can't wait for Keyser Soze - that sellout! - to join the fray when his copy arrives.

There's just a lack of polish throughout the game. And even though the core gameplay is a bit better, there are still problem on that front which shouldn't be issues in 2011. If there was ever a case for an 18-24 month dev cycle for THQ/Yukes, it's WWE '12.

Kaladin

So after playing through probably half of Road to WM my only complaints are:

1) Backstage brawls. I don't like how everyone's moveset switches to identical brawling movesets in these. I also don't like how the objective can be hard to follow. "Finish the opponent off to the right of the vending machine." Where to the right of the vending machine? Also, in one of them, the vending machine isn't visible in the start of it and I went the wrong way looking for it. I had to drag two lifeless bodies back down a hallway to get to the vending machine.

2) I don't like them constantly using objectives to set up cut scenes. It's fine every once in a while, but when you do it several times in a match (Bragging Rights) it becomes frustrating because you work a guy so much and then you get pinned after seconds of offense that you can't do anything about. Either that, or the action in the cut scene is different from what you did so it's like you warped to that situation.

Other than those complaints, it ain't a bad mode. I just miss having branching paths by either failing a match or making choices. I mean, if you're going to get beat down in a cut scene, why not give you the option of failing the "weaken your opponent" objective in that situation? I don't know if I will touch this mode after I'm done with it.

The titles you see in the option menu are the EXHIBITION Titles. WWE Universe is a completely separate mode this time out and those titles have to be dealt with IN that mode. The problem is that THQ STILL hasn't given us full control so it's hard to vacate Universe titles, the "free agents" still appear on shows, the Universe AI logic seems worse than ever, and apparently you HAVE to use at least 15 on disc wrestlers no matter what which makes having a Universe filled with only CAWs impossible.

To solve the Free Agents issue, create a Fed that you don't plan to use and stuff all your free agents that you don't want to appear in WWE Universe in that. Free Agents means that they can appear on both shows.

To Vacate titles, there is an edit superstar mode in WWE Universe and I think you might be able to assign and remove titles there. Haven't tried it yet though.

Edit: I was right about vacating titles. You can do it in WWE Universe. You can reassign them as well. Just made Punk my champ in Universe mode.

daycru

Accidentally clicked the 7 day free trial option and see no way to enter in my online pass code. Well, Blockbuster's online pass code. Love 2011 gaming!

I'd be soooo pissed if I paid full price for this game. At least I could access the servers a few days ago, but now it's like they aren't even online whatsoever. The "server not available" message pops up instantly. I honestly can't remember the last time I bought a game where online wasn't even ASSESSABLE 6 days after release. It's one thing to have lag, or a few dropped matches week 1, but this 6 years into the console cycle is crazy.

EDIT: And of course the very MOMENT I post that, everything is now working flawlessly for the first time since release. :lol

EDIT 2: Annnnnd everything's broken again. For like 5 minutes it was smooth as hell, and I managed to download a bunch of arenas then it died again. Progress being made hopefully.

Jamie OD

The sneak attack from the crowd scene in Universe mode is hilariously bad. You just have the wrestler walking down the ramp, flailing his arms towards the fans for high fives and when he reaches the end, the attacker pops up like a monster in a b-movie and ko's the victim. I was in stitches watching Ted DiBiasie do that to Ezekiel Jackson and then later on Husky Harris to Brock Lesnar.

Haven't touched the RWTM stories yet. From the sounds of things it is probably best to avoid the Villain (Sheamus) and Outsider (HHH?!?) stories. I'm having a blast with Universe though so I'm happy with the game.

Foffy

Banned
I haven't played a wrestling game in a very, very long time, but after hearing of all of the things this game does right, I'm actually considering it. I've often abandoned the Yukes games because they were arcady to me, and found a love for Fire Pro and King of Colosseum. So, what I've wanted to ask was is this more of a 'realistic' take on wrestling? Second, is there any mode where you can essentially simulate wrestling cards? The last WWE game I ever played only had an option to do that with Pay Per Views, and that was it. I think it would be fun to simulate a show, as that's what I used to really enjoy with Fire Pro.

Also, I know there's DLC characters, but have they been released yet? How much do they cost? I don't like the fact The Rock is a DLC character, or Shawn Michaels, two of my favorite US wrestlers.

EDIT: One more question! Is there a notable difference between the PS3 and 360 versions? I'm used to getting wrestling games on Sony platforms, but I'm not sure if there are many differences here.

Like I said, I haven't even gone near that mode. I don't know if you can select them seperately or if it is just one long story.

I started with Outsider and then realized that the story might actually be a continuation from the Villain story as the opening cutscene shows
Shamus with all the belts.
So I decided to go back and start with the villain story.

Great game with some nagging little issues. As soon as I can start downloading more creation stuff I'll be happy.

Backflip

I created an arena earlier today and I think it turned out ok:

zxWQz.jpg

If you're playing the game on the 360 and want to download it, search for "dx vs nwo" in Community Creations.

HoTHiTTeR

So, no one else is having issues changing focus to others in a triple threat, fatal 4 way, or royal rumble. Even with targeting "on" L3 doesn't do the trick.

Ithil

Just watching some videos, and one area the game REALLY lacks in graphically, and it's something that this generation should provided an easy solution to, is the ringside area.

It looks the same as it did ten years ago. One announce table, that disappears like an arcade game when someone's put through it, and two announcers that stand there.

That's just crap, and it looks NOTHING like the real ringside area, despite all their "REALISTIC" claims. There's no timekeeper, no chairs, no tech guys, no equipment, no nothing. The one announce table that is there is incredibly undetailed, too.

You don't even have to have it interaction. In the actual ringside area the timekeeper is in a little section to the side, it's where the wrestlers usually get the chairs from. You can just have players press a button beside it to take a chair from it, but not enter it. Easy.

It really impacts the supposed growth of the game when the environments are so damn dated.

shiroryu

Is it just me or does the game look better than 2011 graphically within the ring in general? I'm liking the presentation.

I'm not appreciating the pulled out view, though, and the lack of a practice mode. And there's hardly any new stuff in superstar creation.

Sucks that they took away the different arenas in Backstage Brawl from 2011 and put just one consolidated area in, because you start off in the same place every time and need to lead the AI away to another area.

I'm disappointed in the number of recycled character entrances from games before. I mean who the hell still wants to use John Cena & Tony's jeep entrance?

Top Bottom