• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE '12 |OT| The People's OT

Striker

I was able to get in and download a Psycho Sid CAW. Hot commodities being Sting, Kurt Angle, Scott Hall, Eddie Guerrero, and Flair. Tried afterwards to download some old WWF and WCW arenas, server wasn't allowing it. :lol

Yeah, the network issues are a bit troubling. It would be one thing if the matches were a bit laggy or things were taking forever to download, but I havent even been able to connect once to even see the online menu.

Still enjoying the core gameplay though!

Mr. Sam

Random question - Brock Lesnar's part of the basic roster, right? He's not DLC or a pre-order bonus or anything; he's on the disc from the start?

blurrygil

Yeah, the network issues are a bit troubling. It would be one thing if the matches were a bit laggy or things were taking forever to download, but I havent even been able to connect once to even see the online menu.

Still enjoying the core gameplay though!

ikr?

Crazy thing is: I'm playing with just the WWE roster and it's basic modes.

I never like the main roster!!! I always play with CAWs straight away!!!!!!!

How did you DO this Yukes?!?!? HOWWWWWW?!?????

TheBear

First impressions: game needs a fucking tutorial. You can get by kicking and doing random grapples, but even after reading the in-game manual I don't know how to do a lot of stuff. Running through RTWM just to ease myself into the gameplay, but I have to say, I am having fun. The matches are pretty long too and flow like a real match which is pretty awesome. The graphics are actually quite a bit more impressive than videos and screengrabs suggest, the presentation is excellent and the way the wrestlers move and react is pretty spot on. Overall, I'm impressed.
Haven't tried "iMPACT" yet, might give it a go over the weekend.

Backflip

The game keeps making my 360 crash after certain matches in WWE Universe mode. It crashed 4 times today. It also keeps making weird changes to cards I have to replay because of the crashes. An injured HHH was suddenly part of the WWE title match at Wrestlemania and my CM Punk (champion) vs Kevin Nash (Royal Rumble winner) for the WCW title was changed to Nash vs Chavo Guerrero for no reason. Does anyone else has that kind of problems?

Online on the PS3 is terrible. The lag is so bad, that you can't reverse or kick out of anything. It actively sucks the fun out of the game.

The rest of the game is pretty sweet though. It's pretty fun working on somebody's limbs the whole match and getting the submission win.

Just three questions if anyone could be so kind to answer them:

1) Can you throw someone out of the ring/off the HitC from moves in your regular grappling move set ie: choke toss, powerbomb, choke slam, F5 etc, like you could in HCtP or are there still invisible walls around the ring/cell (I don't mean ultimate control or special HitC/rope moves)?

2) Is the 24/7 or created player mode still as boring and one dimensional as last year (I'm also not meaning RtWM)?

3) Is the create-a-move's animations still as gimpy and restrictive as they always have been?

Seriously, can anyone answer these questions for me please?

Striker

Seriously, can anyone answer these questions for me please?
1) No, there's selected moves
2) Universe mode is whatever you want it to be
3) They changed some, added a few in, and made it so you can tweak the rate (slow-fast) to whatever singular degree you want

CAF isn't perfect, but I have strict moves I've used for years and they remain.

Do you guys know of a good guide or FAQ which explains the grappling system and moves?
Like the other guy, I used the CAW moveset. It's pretty basic. Mainly use the Left thumbstick and A as the guide for almost all the moves in general, outside strikes.

TheBear

Thanks for that guys, I will give it a shot. It's starting to freeze on me now though which sucks. Sounds like a lot of people are saying the same thing.

Striker

Oh, well that's a step in the right direction, it was so so bland and lifeless last year. Thanks for the info.
I had my CAW interfere in a Triple H vs. Miz match, and ran in to do my finisher on both men. Earned a double DQ, an achievement, and the next "week" my CAW was in the audience with a front row ticket. :lol

Oh, well that's a step in the right direction, it was so so bland and lifeless last year. Thanks for the info.

I disagree with you. I agree with the other guy who said it can be whatever you want it to be. Do you want the game to script year long feuds involving everyone lasting until wrestlemania for you? Use some imagination.

Ithil

I disagree with you. I agree with the other guy who said it can be whatever you want it to be. Do you want the game to script year long feuds involving everyone lasting until wrestlemania for you? Use some imagination.

Or just use the storyline creator.

Man, still can't get onto the server in the UK. Over a week now. Not usually one to complain about games, but when you can't access an area of the game your primarily bought it for, I feel like I should be able to return it.

shiroryu

I love this game minus the online servers. Spent 4 hours today to download 3 CAWS.

Yeah, it does look smoother and better than 2011, and I'm resigned to creating my own CAWs instead of picking them off community. THQ messed up big time...how can you have connection issues on an annually released game that will see tons of traffic from inception? Don't imagine the netcode has changed fundamentally, or that WWE 12 is getting far more traffic than 2011.

Yeah, it does look smoother and better than 2011, and I'm resigned to creating my own CAWs instead of picking them off community. THQ messed up big time...how can you have connection issues on an annually released game that will see tons of traffic from inception? Don't imagine the netcode has changed fundamentally, or that WWE 12 is getting far more traffic than 2011.
With this crap happening almost every year, it would take a miracle for THQ to fix this.

shiroryu

How do I change attires pre-match within the Universe mode? Since the game jumps straightaway from the match options to in-game and asks you to assign control in the match before it starts, I can't see the option to change attires the way 2011 had it.

How are the reversals in this game?are they flowing like the AKI games where the reversals would make sense depending on the move? or are they the generic canned ones this series has always had?

So you'd feel the same way if GTA (or any like game) was nothing more than a series of rooms you had to clear out?

Yes, imagination indeed.
Or just use the storyline creator.

Far too much effort.
What's wrong with wishing for a universe mode that's interactive instead of the lazy and shallow edition year after year (yes I know it's a new engine, but come on, it's been the same game for how many years now)?
Really is something that wrong with wanting a mode that will automatically trigger storylines based off your allies, rivals, tag partners, stables?
It's not as if THQ doesn't have 40+ years of WWF/E creative history to pull from.

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
How do I change attires pre-match within the Universe mode? Since the game jumps straightaway from the match options to in-game and asks you to assign control in the match before it starts, I can't see the option to change attires the way 2011 had it.

You'll have to edit the match participants (RB on 360).

GBONZZZZ

So, I was reading IGN's guide to unlocking everything and was thrown off at this, I'll spoiler it just in case people don't want to read it.

Shawn Michaels - Win the Elimination Chamber match with The Undertaker

Is it just me, or is this completely incorrect? I know he's a 99 cent DLC.

GREAT GAME, BY THE WAY. Loving every minute of it.

Radec

Just played this game on my friends 360.. and what the fuck, this is like WWE Superstars.

I've played a TLC match

Opponents goes up 5 secs later after you deliver a finisher.

Then I said ok, it was a first finisher, so after a few moves I deliver another one. This time outside the ring. (Signature + Finisher) then I go up and took the ladder, as when my character (Miz) starts to climb, I see R-Truth standing up in a hurry. lol.

After like 20 mins I finally beat him. After 6 Stone Crushing Finale.

Screw this.

/rant.

Jamie OD

So, I was reading IGN's guide to unlocking everything and was thrown off at this, I'll spoiler it just in case people don't want to read it.

Shawn Michaels - Win the Elimination Chamber match with The Undertaker

Is it just me, or is this completely incorrect? I know he's a 99 cent DLC.

GREAT GAME, BY THE WAY. Loving every minute of it.

Almost every unlockable list you find on the game sites are all taken from the official strategy guide, which for some reason has a list that is filled with mistakes and misinformation. I don't know if Prima was given the wrong info, if they were too lazy to correct it before printing or if Yukes changed everything around in the last minute because the DLC wasn't finalised.

TxdoHawk

I picked this up for $30 from BB. Decided to give it a fair shake after hearing good impressions of the gameplay engine itself. My thoughts:

- The gameplay itself seems fairly well-balanced and enjoyable. Controls are a bit on the simple side, but tolerable. I wish they weren't so obsessed with keeping the pace fast...somewhere in there is a good balance between gameplay enjoyment and the "realism" of an epic struggle that often slows down near the end, only to end suddenly and/or quickly.

- I'm not a huge fan of the pinning system. Not enough time to trigger the event. Very easy to eff up kicking out of an early pin, since early on the bar is sloooooooow and takes forever to fill with light damage. I have an easy solution, though: Slow down time slightly during pins (Yukes could even wash out the crowd noises in classic "bullet time" style for dramatic effect) to give players a little more time to complete the QTE. Resilience should tack a little more of this slowing effect on, to give visual and auditory feedback about when the ability has actually kicked in, as it is now it's hard to tell when you've used it.

- I don't know for sure how I feel about every reversal being RT. Seems like you aren't assured a 100% success rate even if you time it correctly, which I'd argue is a good thing.

- So many dumb sloppy things this year, wow. No tutorial, no practice mode, triggering Resilience seems a bit goofy and unreliable, very little in the way of explanations for modes, etc.

Overall, I think the gameplay itself has been brought back to HCTP levels of good. Now I want polish (and not yearly balance-breaking gimmicks, do you hear me THQ?!)

Picked this up for £22 yesterday and I'm not sure about it..

There's just lots of the little things that make up the experience missing, things like shipping a game with old gimmicks still in place (Rhodes), old attires (Zack Ryder) and missing entrance props (Ryder's glasses, Edge's trench coat) just end up annoying me. I know they don't want to ruin their precious story arcs but damn, could they not talk to each other just this once? It feels like these games are always looking back at the previous year, rather than actually working alongside the current product. The fact that they recycle models (Hi Ziggler 2010) means that the lack of effort regarding current attires seems even more egregious. The fact that there's no official masked Kane in a WWE game until November 2012 seems crazy.
Pinning is weird.

Online is broken.

QTEs don't belong in the RR.

Still isn't as smooth as it could be; the transitions are still really obvious. WWE All Stars' reversals seemed much more natural, even though the game was totally unrealistic.

At the end of the day the gameplay system still isn't as good as it ought to be after many, many iterations. Why did they take out the stamina and body part systems from HCTP and the early SvR games? They worked pretty well!

The sad thing is I wouldn't be that bothered about any of those latter things if the appearance stuff was up to date..

Top Bottom