• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE All Stars |OT| No Yukes allowed

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/115/1153333p1.html

IGN has a new preview up. It goes over the career mode- which is basically a 10 match tournament to fight Old School Undertaker (w/ Paul Bearer, D-X, or Orton), and Fantasy Matches which are Legends vs Superstar matches with (apparently) awesome promo videos before them.

They really seemed to like it, and the previewer isn't even a wrestling fan.

canadian crowe said:

IGN has a new preview up. It goes over the career mode- which is basically a 10 match tournament to fight Old School Undertaker (w/ Paul Bearer, D-X, or Orton), and Fantasy Matches which are Legends vs Superstar matches with (apparently) awesome promo videos before them.

The description of how there are promo videos for every matchup between a legend and current gen superstar is pretty damn awesome. And while the constant mentions of No Mercy and WCW/NWO Revenge make me happy in the private area of my pants, Ive read that comparison before and been VERY sad upon playing the game with said comparison. WWF Raw for the original XBox comes to mind.

jordan0386 said:
Raw sucked. But Wrestlemania on Xbox 1 was really good for me.
I didn't like that Wrestlemania game for Xbox at all. I thought Raw 2 was great despite some of the glitches it had.

TheApatheticOne said:
The description of how there are promo videos for every matchup between a legend and current gen superstar is pretty damn awesome. And while the constant mentions of No Mercy and WCW/NWO Revenge make me happy in the private area of my pants, Ive read that comparison before and been VERY sad upon playing the game with said comparison. WWF Raw for the original XBox comes to mind.

I'm willing to bet that it's nothing like No Mercy since I thought it was very slow and methodical. Either way, I haven't read a negative preview yet which couldn't be said for Smackdown or Legends of Wrestlemania.

DoctorWho said:
I didn't like that Wrestlemania game for Xbox at all. I thought Raw 2 was great despite some of the glitches it had.

Raw 2 was terrible. The graphics were pretty great but there was hardly depth to the game. The career mode was terrible and the gameplay mechanics were just very clunky.

Yeah, I mean, with how over the top it is, the hit-juggles into moves Ive seen, it looks definitely no where near as sim as No Mercy obviously. But I love how they mentioned how fun it is over and over, and while it may not PLAY like No Mercy, but its FUN like No Mercy..... I'll take it. Its been such a long time since a fun wrestling game has been made.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I'm so hyped for this. word of mouth is sounding very good, so I preordered it - in full. Alternate Kane <3

Salvor.Hardin said:
Raw 2 was terrible. The graphics were pretty great but there was hardly depth to the game. The career mode was terrible and the gameplay mechanics were just very clunky.
Raw 2 had some of the best features of any wrestling game past or present.

Don't get me wrong, the gameplay was pretty horrid though.

RBH

canadian crowe said:

Here's the preview for those who can't view it at work, etc:

I don't watch wrestling because I think it's real. I don't watch it because of the quality, subtle storytelling. I don't even pretend to watch it because I'm desperate to see some poor guy bleed all over the mat. I watch wrestling because, when it's done well, it's larger than life. It's as close as I'll ever get to see a comic book jumping off the page. The characters are colorful, dynamic and thrilling. The feuds can rival some of the best in pop culture or sports. That's the feeling that THQ's latest wrestling game, WWE All Stars, captures exquisitely. It's a feeling I haven't felt playing a wrestling game since WWE No Mercy for the Nintendo 64.

Despite their best efforts, the teams responsible for the Smackdown vs. Raw simulation series have failed to capture the excitement of wrestling. Sure, their characters are realistic looking and they have the fireworks and various moves down perfectly, but in trying to recreate the insanity of the WWE, they somehow have missed the fun. All Stars changes all of that. By veering off into exaggerated visuals and by working in a more arcade-style of gameplay, very similar to the old In Your House arcade games, THQ has somehow unlocked the visceral thrill that comes with the best of wrestling's television product. It's seemingly contradictory, but it's impossible to deny.

All Stars operates with the basic idea that less is more. Fundamental control has been pared down to light and heavy melee attacks as well as light and heavy grapples. No doubt that is going to be mighty reassuring to those of you begging for a return to No Mercy's addictive gameplay. This is about as close as you're going to get. As you attack your opponent, you'll be watching three meters. One is your health, which contains multiple layers that progressively deteriorate as you fail to counter or block attacks. The second monitors your ability to execute Signature Moves, devastating and flashy attacks that can quickly turn the tide of a match. The final meter tracks your Finisher Move. As you might imagine, pulling off this maneuver can instantly KO your opponent, though it is also appropriately more challenging to perform.

More important than control is play style. The already exaggerated world of WWE wrestling is amped up far beyond what the superstars could ever hope to achieve. The wrestlers themselves look more like action figures you can buy in stores versus more realistic portrayals. John Cena's relatively simple "Five Knuckle Shuffle" – which is simply a drop to the mat with a fist punch – has become an elaborate, acrobatic feat. A stronger, heavier wrestler can kick a smaller, lighter opponent across the ring – or toss him completely outside of it. Some combatants can jump clear across the ring to attack their opponents. The emphasis isn't on reality but on fast, fun and flashy entertainment. Despite the fact that most might liken the game a bit to No Mercy, in truth it might even be more similar to that game's lesser-known predecessor, WCW/NWO Revenge. It has a more manic, frantic tone, similar to that of a Capcom fighting game. The game is willing to discard a great deal to make sure it never gets lost in details that will slow down the pacing of a match.

Game modes are few but important. There are the typical versus modes as well as modes for online and offline play, but more notable are Path of Champions and Fantasy Warfare. Path of Champions is the game's "Road to Wrestlemania" that allows you to challenge an old school Undertaker (complete with Paul Bearer), Randy Orton or a relatively modern Degeneration-X tag team for championships. Players will have to journey through 10 rounds to get a shot at Wrestlemania to secure their belt. Each storyline opens with a fully-voiced, well-scripted animated introduction by the actual superstars, who challenge you to attempt to take their gold.

There are so many good things in this game, yet it wasn't until THQ fully described and demonstrated Fantasy Warfare to me that I realized the genius of All Stars. Any wrestling fan has wondered what it would be like to see past legends battle current superstars. While a few of those dream match-ups, like The Rock and Hulk Hogan, have happened, many have not. THQ envisioned 15 of those matches for All Stars, and some of them are wilder than even a hardcore fan like myself could imagine. I've certainly wondered how Big Show would fare against the incredible Andre the Giant. But what if the "Stone Cold" Steve Austin stared down the straight-edge master CM Punk? Never in my life had that occurred to me, and the second I saw it displayed on the screen, my mind raced with the awesome potential of that match-up.

The possibilities are endless and certainly enticing, but no doubt you're wondering why I care so much about Fantasy Warfare. Isn't the point of All Stars to see Legends versus Superstars? Couldn't I simply create these matches outside of Fantasy Warfare any time I want? Yes, but THQ thought of that as well, and recruited WWE's own archives team to create PPV-worthy video packages "promoting" the matches. I managed to watch several of these montages and they are truly spectacular. I had never thought of a Punk/Austin feud, but after seeing WWE's promotional efforts, I wish it was possible. Current and former fans of the WWE are going to love this mode and its tribute to what makes wrestling so addicting.

In the end, that's what WWE All Stars is – a tribute to the greatness and spirit of wrestling. What makes it such a surprise though is that it's not slavish attention to detail that makes this game such a thrill. I've never cared if my wrestling game is authentic. I simply want it to be as fun to play as the product can be to watch. Plus it'd be great if all of my friends will enjoy playing it whether they watch the WWE or not. WCW/NWO Revenge and WWE No Mercy did that a decade ago. It looks like we finally have something worthy of that heritage.

And some new screens:

wwe-all-stars-20110303082356854_640w.jpg

wwe-all-stars-20110303082401197_640w.jpg

wwe-all-stars-20110303082405822_640w.jpg

wwe-all-stars-20110303082410884_640w.jpg

wwe-all-stars-20110303082415041_640w.jpg

wwe-all-stars-20110303082419025_640w.jpg

wwe-all-stars-20110303082423150_640w.jpg

wwe-all-stars-20110303082427228_640w.jpg

wwe-all-stars-20110303082431321_640w.jpg

wwe-all-stars-20110303082435227_640w.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The fact that they're making gamepads for this has me worried it'll play like a fighting game rather than a wrestling game. Like those old WWF arcade games.

No doubt that is going to be mighty reassuring to those of you begging for a return to No Mercy's addictive gameplay. This is about as close as you're going to get

I wish I had a dollar for every time a preview of an upcoming WWE game mentioned it was "as close to No Mercy as you're going to get." I'd be richer than Vince McMahon.

^ and WrestleFest was awesome.

Carnby

I would like this game A LOT if there was an option to take the slow motion off. This game needs to be fast paced, and not bogged down by too many slow motion moments.

mujun

zoner said:
The fact that they're making gamepads for this has me worried it'll play like a fighting game rather than a wrestling game. Like those old WWF arcade games.

I'm in the opposite camp, I hope this is more like a fighting game. I have high hopes for this game, hope it turns out to be DJ:FFNY's spiritual successor!

Net_Wrecker said:
Where the hell are the comparisons to No Mercy coming from? The gameplay couldn't be further...

yeah really,

Day of Reckoning 2 is as close to an aki game as youll ever get out of yukes. (so of course this meant that that series/style was canned, and the smackdown fork of the engine went multiplatform).

GeoramA

This game is sounding wonderful. The CAWs actually look good too. Wow.

Net_Wrecker said:
Where the hell are the comparisons to No Mercy coming from? The gameplay couldn't be further...
It's the measuring stick for how fun a wrestling game can be. Although Here Comes The Pain was pretty great too.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
mujun said:
I'm in the opposite camp, I hope this is more like a fighting game. I have high hopes for this game, hope it turns out to be DJ:FFNY's spiritual successor!
Sure but Def Jam used analogs pretty heavily, if I remember right. A d-pad for a 3d game seems silly, especially when there's no planes

GeoramA said:
It's the measuring stick for how fun a wrestling game can be. Although Here Comes The Pain was pretty great too.

Well, previewers should be clearer in their wording cause the IGN preview especially is like whhhha?

jaekwon15 said:
I would like this game A LOT if there was an option to take the slow motion off. This game needs to be fast paced, and not bogged down by too many slow motion moments.

I agree. The slow motion effects in any wrestling game are annoying. I always turn them off.

I think you guys are gonna be disappointed if you are expecting AKI/No Mercy in any way. Obviously we won't know for sure until we get our hands on it, but from the videos it looks like it has a very Yukes-esque quick grappling system, with a bigger emphasis on melee combos. The fact that they are releasing a joy stick leads me to believe its going to rely heavily on combo inputs, both for hand to hand combos and for grappling moves. Could still be fun, but I'm not setting myself up for more AKI-comparison fueled disappointment like every other wrestling game of the last 10 years.

shaowebb

I'm sorry but do you really expect the guys behind this game to make it's combat likeable? Look at the track record of who is making it.

Sorry, but I won't buy the hype for anything.

Everything about RAW 2 on the Xbox 1 was amazing.....except for the game play. The roster was A+, CAW was great, lots of modes and a better season mode than the WWE games post HCTP. Too bad they couldn't get the game play down because it was fucking terrible. If they used the AKI engine with that roster and features it would be the best wrestling game of all time. ITS TRUE ITS DAMN TRUE.

The gameplay looks really good, IMO. Besides the excessive slow-mo, the only thing I'm not feeling is the "homing" aspect of moves. Acrobats seem to reroute course in midair, and characters get knocked a certain direction and heat seak their way into the turnbuckles.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
The Main Event said:
By far the best video I've seen so far. Will there be any ladder match in it?
Amazon.de sez:

"
About a dozen of the legendary WWE match types - including Tag-Team, Tables, Ladders & Chairs, Steel Cage, Backstage Brawls, and many more
"

shaowebb said:
I'm sorry but do you really expect the guys behind this game to make it's combat likeable? Look at the track record of who is making it.

Sorry, but I won't buy the hype for anything.
The core gameplay of Impact was really good, It was let down by many small problems i.e having a stun bar rather then just have wrestlers show fatigue in a more complex way.

Top Bottom