• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Draft |OT| A McMahon on every show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephzilla

Smackdown already looks like it's easily the more watchable show.
  • No Stephanie McMahon and her constant refusal to put anyone over
  • Shane O Mac
  • Daniel Bryan
  • Not 3 hours
If the break up Enzo and Cass then this draft is already minus five stars.

• Shane O Mac
  • Daniel Bryan
  • Not 3 hours
If the break up Enzo and Cass then this draft is already minus five stars

No Cruserweight division though. That's the only real downside so far.

NXT 6 being called up in my guesses now are Finn, Bayley, American Alpha, Nia Jax, Blake and Murphy and Hideo Itami.

I don't think Alexa will go up because I also think Asuka is staying down in NXT and right now Alexa outside of Bayley seems to be the only person they have right now to run a good program with her. Carmella doesn't seem ready yet, by the time she debuts on the main roster, Cass and Enzo will probably be broken up.

I'm also guessing Finn, Roman and Seth to be Raw's main three and AJ, Dean and John as Smackdown's main three. And for random women guesses, Charlotte, Dana, Nia Jax and Sasha to Raw, Bayley, Becky, Natalya and Paige to Smackdown.

Sephzilla

Oh, here's my prediction for the six NXT call ups
  • Finn Balor
  • Samoa Joe
  • American Alpha
  • Asuka
  • Bayley
  • Alexa Bliss
Nakamura is also likely to get picked but I wouldn't be surprised if they save him for a Royal Rumble debut later on. I actually don't think Hideo is going to get drafted because he'll need a rehab stint down in NXT.

Yeah, that's a downside. But I dunno, I don't have too much faith in WWE handling a crusierweight division properly.

belushy

Banned
This has pique my interest over the last few weeks since it was revealed they would be doing a draft. I'm excited there will be some "competition" and hopefully it makes each show better.

Is it likely that the WWE and World Heavyweight title get split up again?

Anth0ny

• Shane O Mac
  • Daniel Bryan
  • Not 3 hours

exactly. smackdown seems infinitely more watchable.

optimistically, smackdown seems like it will be the better show from a booking/writing standpoint. raw will likely be same old shit for the "masses", so I'm doubtful their handling of the cruiserweight division will be all that entertaining. think "divas revolution".

if you want a real cruiserweight show, watch the network.

pessimistically, both shows will be the same old shit and the shine of the brand split will wear off in two weeks.

MC Safety

They should use the draft to get move up the independent darlings from NXT and restart the program as a developmental franchise.

I'm talking about the Rhynos, Samoa Joes, Austin Aires, and all the other guys who are long timers who don't really fit in NXT.

Oh, here's my prediction for the six NXT call ups
  • Finn Balor
  • Samoa Joe
  • American Alpha
  • Asuka
  • Bayley
  • Alexa Bliss
Nakamura is also likely to get picked but I wouldn't be surprised if they save him for a Royal Rumble debut later on. I actually don't think Hideo is going to get drafted because he'll need a rehab stint down in NXT.

That's the people who are most ready, but I suspect Asuka will stay in NXT and Jax will come up. I think Roode's ready to come up whenever but they'll probably keep him for a few months. I hope this means Rude gets in the HOF now.

They totally need to do an angle where American Alpha win the titles and then the Revival come up and say AA ran away from NXT because they kept getting their asses handed to them.

Anth0ny

They should use the draft to get move up the independent darlings from NXT and restart the program as a developmental franchise.

I'm talking about the Rhynos, Samoa Joes, Austin Aires, and all the other guys who are long timers who don't really fit in NXT.

the weird thing about nxt is that they actually tour now and triple h keeps promoting it as a "separate brand"

but it's supposed to be developmental still.

can't tour with a bunch of green fucks with no drawing power

isn't really developmental/doing its job if they're holding guys like joe/nakamura "down" when they could be stars on the main roster right now, easily

Who does WWE even have for cruiserweights?

Neville
Kalisto
Sin Cara
???
???
They have the CWC in which anyone they deem impressive will be signed. But that show won't end until the summer so it makes me wonder what they will do until then. I doubt they'll take a guy like Balor if he gets drafted and call him a cruiserweight unless they want to start him off with a Neville feud which could be cool.

Why do some of you guys think that Asuka will stay in NXT? She's already pretty old in 'WWE womans' terms. It would seem like a waste of an investment to hold her down in NXT.

• Shane O Mac
  • Daniel Bryan
  • Not 3 hours
And hopefully
  • No JBL/Cole/Saxton commentary team

Sephzilla

In terms of NXT call ups; Balor and Bayley are the two solid locks because they're the most ready (and overdue for a callup). Asuka and Nakamura might get called up simply because of their age and overseas drawing power for the company. American Alpha is simply ready. Samoa Joe might get the call up simply because he's easily exceeded everyone's expectations in NXT. Alexa Bliss is a logical pick to bolster the women's division.

The only reason I see them holding Nakamura back is because he hasn't even been in NXT for a year and he'd be an awesome Royal Rumble call up.
And hopefully
  • No JBL/Cole/Saxton commentary team

Hopefully they keep the draft wrestlers-only and not do any of that stupid shit like drafting announcers. Unless they draft Corey Graves to Smackdown and fire Lawler.

They have the CWC in which anyone they deem impressive will be signed. But that show won't end until the summer so it makes me wonder what they will do until then. I doubt they'll take a guy like Balor if he gets drafted and call him a cruiserweight unless they want to start him off with a Neville feud which could be cool.

Only the top guys will be there till the end of the summer. There will be people dropping out every week - I like Saez and Maluta for example, and they're already out.

Anth0ny

It's too bad though because I think that would be a cool route for Balor. Wins the NXT title, moves up to the main roster, and LOGICALLY, starts from the "bottom". Dominates the cruiserweight division, then wins the IC title, and then goes on to the main event program.

unfortunately today they condition the fans to think that characters don't matter unless they debut in a main event program, which is dumb as fuck imo.

especially because they just do the job to cena or reigns anyways, then it's into the irrelevant midcard they go with the wyatts, rusevs and kevin owens of the world.

Sephzilla

It's crazy to think that he was burnt out when he first came to NXT. Joe's now the best he's been for a looooooong time.

Yep. He seemed burnt out and first and quite honestly I wasn't super into him when he first showed up on NXT. But holy fuck, dude became one of my favorites after a while and he's the best heel in the company IMHO.

Yep. He seemed burnt out and first and quite honestly I wasn't super into him when he first showed up on NXT. But holy fuck, dude became one of my favorites after a while and he's the best heel in the company IMHO.

Agreed on best heel.

Helps that he's a bonafide monster heel. First good one they've had since Umaga (or Henry in his hall of pain run). His mic work has been on point too. Still remember that promo he cut about choking corbin out when corbin, joe and zayn were arguing who should be no 1 contender.

Raw64life

I imagine they'll say something like NXT champions can't be drafted to get around not drafting Joe or Asuka. I don't know what excuse they could give for Nakamura if he's not drafted though.

Carl2291

Cruiserweights should have gone Smackdown, with Foley bringing back the hardcore championship for Raw.

Missed opportunity.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Why do some of you guys think that Asuka will stay in NXT? She's already pretty old in 'WWE womans' terms. It would seem like a waste of an investment to hold her down in NXT.

Would love to see her up on the main roster. Problem is she's very like 'Brock''ish in terms of her dominance of the division. Would hate to see her fed to Charlotte.

Sephzilla

Cruiserweights should have gone Smackdown, with Foley bringing back the hardcore championship for Raw.

Missed opportunity.

Cruiserweights going to Smackdown seems to make more sense considering Daniel Bryan is the GM there. But Cruiserweights are obviously being included with Raw to pad out the 3 hour length

It's the most interesting thing they are doing on. That's not CWC.

It's a good idea when you look at their main event and midcard singles wrestlers. It's an awful idea when you look at the women's division and tag division.

My picks for the NXT callups in order of preference:

1 – Bayley – Simply put, it all boils down to this: It’s. About. Fucking. Time. She has been long overdue. And yeah, you could justifiably argue a case to hold her off until the night after SummerSlam (in fact, if they debut her on the Raw after SummerSlam, it’ll be a year to the day since that match with Sasha at Takeover Brooklyn), but it just feels a bit like blueballing it at this point. If they don’t have her debut tonight, it’ll surely absolutely be at Battleground. If not… well, worst comes to shove, one more month at least.

Plus, like with Kevin Owens and her fellow Four Horsewomen for a period last year plus Sami Zayn for a little bit of this year, it’s not like she can’t pull double duty between MR and NXT: (recent NXT taping pre-Takeover Brooklyn spoilers)
Of course, the recent round of TV tapings all the way up to Brooklyn has already happened and the fact her rematch with Asuka at Takeover will be her swansong like Sami-Nakamura was in Dallas for the former

2 – Finn Balor – As above Bayley, It’s. About. Fucking. Time. The question now isn’t whether if he will, but who he will be with once he comes up – on his own or joins up with The Club?

3 – American Alpha – They need a reputable tag team to bolster the tag team division from NXT to form part of the draft and well, it doesn’t get any clearer here.

4 – Alexa Bliss – Going by how much she has killed it in the past few months and add in the fact that they don’t seem to have much for her after the Bayley/Carmella mini-feuds, her going up would be much deserved.

5 – Nia Jax – It seems like, just like Alexa, they have nothing left for her down there, so time to bring her up as this big powerhouse of the women’s division. The question is how on the level will she be in terms of how green she still is compared to Dana Brooke (not as much admittedly, she’s come a good way since Takeover London and admittedly in Dana’s case, it didn’t help she had that injury that set her back).

6 – Austin Aries – This seems like the wildcard: (recent NXT taping pre-Takeover Brooklyn spoilers)
there’s still plans for him down there plus seemingly a Takeover match with No Way Jose
. But throw him into the mid-card around the IC title as a heel and you might get some similar magic to AJ Styles in the main event scene.

Other possibilities: Corey Graves (could be considered NXT, but considering he hosts the Raw pre-show on the Network, he may not also count here. That said, I’m hoping he ends up joining Smackdown on the the table), Mojo Rawley (they want to give Zack Ryder a bit of a push, it’ll end up in the form of one last try with the Hype Bros – WWYKI etc) and Tye Dillinger (seems like they have nothing for him going forward down there – my only concern is he’s going to end up being Tyler Breeze’d when he gets up. Also: has anyone spotted he’s dropped the Tye from his Twitter name recently and is now just Dillinger? Has Vince struck with the first name curse already before even getting called up?)

Much as I'd like to see either go up, I don't think you'll see Joe or Nakamura drafted tonight anyways.

Anth0ny

bayley is going to die a death on the main roster unlike anything we've ever seen

i'd love to know the kayfabe reason why nakamura doesn't get drafted tonight.

bayley is going to die a death on the main roster unlike anything we've ever seen

i'd love to know the kayfabe reason why nakamura doesn't get drafted tonight.

They should just have him drafted and not necessarily call him up right away. It just doesn't make sense otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom