• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Draft |OT| A McMahon on every show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Do you guys remember some alternate history draft where the authority figures didn't do everything to get the top stars in the company?

I can't figure out a single reason outside of the draft rules saying "no" that, in kayfabe or even real life, Nakamura wouldn't be a HUGE get that everyone would be fighting to have. You guys think they're going to hold a draft that includes NXT and act like Shinsuke fucking Nakamura doesn't exist?

As I wrote, who's your top babyface in NXT without Nakamura? No Way Jose!?!

styl3s

I am going to watch Smackdown for the first time in 8 years probably more..
Shane and Bryan are gonna fire all those writers that's been there for years and will be the sole creative/booking team. It's gonna amazing!

It's going to be the same smackdown it's been forever nothing is changing but who is wrestling there.

As I wrote, who's your top babyface in NXT without Nakamura? No Way Jose!?!
So Daniel Bryan is going to be on Smackdown Live like "so there's Shinsuke, but is No Way Jose NXT's top babyface now? No! No! No! Let's keep Shinsuke in NXT because I don't want to have the best brand!"

Like, really think about this reality you guys are talking about.

Shane and Bryan are gonna fire all those writers that's been there for years and will be the sole creative/booking team. It's gonna amazing!

It's going to be the same smackdown it's been forever nothing is changing but who is wrestling there.

The fact that it's Live will improve it for me. I have a hard time watching taped wrestling.

On the plus side Mauro Ranallo will be calling Smackdown tonight like he always does so there's that to look forward to! Unless they're getting Cole in for the Draft too or something.

abundant

well TECHNICALLY in wwe kayfabe, all nxt stars are below main roster SUUUUUUUUUUUPERSTARS

so I can see the first nxt draft pick going like 15th overall for that very reason

nxt is the minor leagues

But Shane and DB are running on a platform of out with the old, in with the new. So for them not to look at the hottest stars in NXT doesn't make much sense.

On the plus side Mauro Ranallo will be calling Smackdown tonight like he always does so there's that to look forward to! Unless they're getting Cole in for the Draft too or something.

Ugh. I hope they don't spring Cole on us. I like Cole but I am looking forward to Ranallo tonight. I only ever get to hear him during CWC and the PPV preshows.

Anth0ny

But Shane and DB are running on a platform of out with the old, in with the new. So for them not to look at the hottest stars in NXT doesn't make much seance.

here's hoping

it would be pretty funny if steph drafted valuable worldwide wwe superstar alberto del rio

only for shane to draft nakamura

Ronin Ray

Can't see Joe getting drafted, when he's the perfect guy to show fresh talent how to cut a promo and get heat. Asuka's a problem too because great as she is in the ring, her lack of English speaking skills will hold her back badly on the bigger shows.

Nakamura I can see holding the fort as top babyface in NXT for awhile yet, he can be brought up anytime much like they did with Zayn and Owens as he's good enough to make an immediate impact. At a guess I'd say they hold him back to the rumble and pull an AJ Styles on him.

All they have to do is get Asuka a manger and I know it wouldn't happen but I would love it if they just put her in the cruiserweight division.

styl3s

The fact that it's Live will improve it for me. I have a hard time watching taped wrestling.
I would be fine with SD taped if they didn't alter the crowd so much.

well TECHNICALLY in wwe kayfabe, all nxt stars are below main roster SUUUUUUUUUUUPERSTARS

so I can see the first nxt draft pick going like 15th overall for that very reason

nxt is the minor leagues
To me it feels like Shane/Bryan are going to pick younger newer talent early because they both understand it's the future. I'm sure like Ambrose and maybe Cena and a few other people will get picked first but i don't think for a second Shane is gonna start picking from NXT on round 15

Steph is like her father (in kayfabe at least) she wants the champions, the heavyweights, the veterans. Not these B-C list wrestlers

Sephzilla

So Daniel Bryan is going to be on Smackdown Live like "so there's Shinsuke, but is No Way Jose NXT's top babyface now? No! No! No! Let's keep Shinsuke in NXT because I don't want to have the best brand!"

Like, really think about this reality you guys are talking about.

You are being deliberately obtuse here and ignoring that NXT is still a WWE brand that WWE want's to keep putting money towards and Nakamura is a huge draw to NXT right now. And they're going to need to keep something there as a draw considering the top of the card is about to get raided. If Nakamura doesn't get drafted, that's going to be why. If he doesn't get drafted he'll probably just not be acknowledged tonight on Smackdown or Shane/Bryan will want to pick him but all 6 NXT picks will be gone by then.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You are being deliberately obtuse here and ignoring that NXT is still a WWE brand that WWE want's to keep putting money towards and Nakamura is a huge draw to NXT right now. And they're going to need to keep something there as a draw considering the top of the card is about to get raided.

I'd also add that with Bobby Roode coming into NXT, they are getting into a situation where its just looking like TNA!

BearPawB

Banned
You are being deliberately obtuse here and ignoring that NXT is still a WWE brand that WWE want's to keep putting money towards and Nakamura is a huge draw to NXT right now. And they're going to need to keep something there as a draw considering the top of the card is about to get raided.

he's not being obtuse.
You both are talking about two different things.

In Kayfabe, he is right. There is no reason not to pick Nakamura.

In "Reality" there are business issues that you bring up.

The issue is when those reality decisions make the kayfabe nonsense.
Shane has no reason to worry about whether NXT will have a draw

Sephzilla

The reality reasons are going to trump the kayfabe reasons for Nakamura. Hammering on the "but kayfabe" stuff for Nakamura being drafted is kind of silly considering kayfabe is weak as fuck in WWE anyway

Knox

I don't see how they fit a ton of huge NXT debuts with entrances on one two hour show along with everything else they have to do with the draft. Joe and Nakamura deserve all the fanfare Finn will get, no way to do it all in one show.

I think Finn, Bayley, and American Alpha are the call ups with decent screen time. Dillinger, Aries, and Jax are my other predictions. They can all be shown in some capacity, but make their actual debuts next week when the show is less crowded.

You are being deliberately obtuse here and ignoring that NXT is still a WWE brand that WWE want's to keep putting money towards and Nakamura is a huge draw to NXT right now. And they're going to need to keep something there as a draw considering the top of the card is about to get raided. If Nakamura doesn't get drafted, that's going to be why. If he doesn't get drafted he'll probably just not be acknowledged tonight on Smackdown or Shane/Bryan will want to pick him but all 6 NXT picks will be gone by then.
So the reason in kayfabe and real life that Nakamura (who as far as we know is a draftable NXT star) won't be drafted is because... Raw and Smackdown want NXT to still have a draw?

Tonight, they will look at a list of draftable talents, see Shinsuke fucking Nakamura, and PASS? In kayfabe or real life? REALLY? And fans wouldn't shit all over this? REALLY?

mbxvx.jpg

I would love to see Asuka drafted but she doesn't really fit in storywise with the implications of a Bayley call up. Bayley is leaving without having had a rematch with Asuka, and a rematch would be fine, but Asuka is still champ so it would have to be for the title but they're both on the main roster and both super over as faces and Bayley has to win but then Bayley has to drop the belt to someone still down in NXT and what a mess.

Daniel Bryan tonight: "Guys, I really wanted Shinsuke Nakamura, but you know who's really setting our hearts on fire? Instead of Nakamura, I want... TYE DILLINGER."

*FANS ARE HAPPY*

Sephzilla

So the reason in kayfabe and real life that Nakamura (who as far as we know is a draftable NXT star) won't be drafted is because... Raw and Smackdown want NXT to still have a draw?

Tonight, they will look at a list of draftable talents, see Shinsuke fucking Nakamura, and PASS? In kayfabe or real life? REALLY? And fans wouldn't shit all over this? REALLY?

mbxvx.jpg

Shane - "What about this Nakamura guy?"

Bryan - "He's a great Japanese superstar"

Shane - "He's only been in NXT for a few months"

Bryan - "True, but fans down there love him"

Shane - "He's also 36 and never worked a WWE schedule before"

Honestly, Shinsuke's age kind of goes against the kayfabe message Shane and Bryan are preaching for their version of Smackdown. And Stephanie is going to be way more focused on drafting Vince-logic talents

You may be right, but how can you be so adamant that they'll use real-life logic?
They have real fans to please on this show they've promoted for two months.

Shane - "What about this Nakamura guy?"

Bryan - "He's a great Japanese superstar"

Shane - "He's only been in NXT for a few months"

Bryan - "True, but fans down there love him"

Shane - "He's also 36 and never worked a WWE schedule before"

Honestly, Shinsuke's age kind of goes against the kayfabe message Shane and Bryan are preaching for their version of Smackdown. And Stephanie is going to be way more focused on drafting Vince-logic talents
LOL YOU THINK THEY WILL SAY THIS ON TV.

Guys, no matter what branding terms Triple H uses, NXT is developmental. They will develop new guys. They'll bring in new top indie guys. It'll be fine. Nakamura does not need any further development, kayfabe or real life.

Sephzilla

They have real fans to please on this show they've promoted for two months.

If Vince was concerned with pleasing fans we wouldn't have had Roman Reigns stinking up the World Title picture for the last 18 months.

Also remember when Shane came back to run Raw, said he'd shake things up, and then basically nothing changed?

LOL YOU THINK THEY WILL SAY THIS ON TV.

No, but you're using real-life logic to justify Nakamura. I'm using real life logic to show you why he could potentially get passed up.

chogidogs

I'm all aboard the Nakamura train assuming that he is indeed the highest paid "new guy."

Bayley and Finn. Alpha. Jax. And Aries just because I want to hear his theme on the big stage.

If Vince was concerned with pleasing fans we wouldn't have had Roman Reigns stinking up the World Title picture for the last 18 months.

No, but you're using real-life logic to justify Nakamura. I'm using real life logic to show you why he could potentially get passed up.
I get the feeling you think kayfabe is like some magic trick they're pulling on gullible fans who buy into whatever they say. Who knows how fans had the agency to decide they don't like Roman despite the company telling them what to think!

You can't have a draft where Nakamura is an option and not logically pick Nakamura, the hottest star in NXT. Unless they state a new rule that disqualifies him (which fans will rightly shit on), Nakamura is coming up. You don't have a good kayfabe or real life reason why this won't be happening.

D. Brine-- who quickly and unequivocally answered "Nakamura" every time he was asked what his dream match was, before Nak in WWE was even an idea-- will take multiple passes on drafting Nakamura until all the NXT picks are gone. This is what some people think.

I would bet real money on Nakamura being Smackdown's #1 pick overall, not just that he gets drafted.

Sephzilla

I get the feeling you think kayfabe is like some magic trick they're pulling on gullible fans who buy into whatever they say. Who knows how fans had the agency to decide they don't like Roman despite the company telling them what to think!

You can't have a draft where Nakamura is an option and not logically pick Nakamura, the hottest star in NXT. Unless they state a new rule that disqualifies him (which fans will rightly shit on), Nakamura is coming up. You don't have a good kayfabe or real life reason why this won't be happening.

Good real life reason = Nakamura sticks in NXT a little while longer because NXT needs a top draw and Nakamura hasn't been down there that long. Reason this is solid logic = This is exactly the reason why Balor and Bayley stayed down for as long as they did.

Kayfabe reason = He just doesn't get picked. If he doesn't get picked then they'll most likely just not acknowledge him (just like how they rarely acknowledge NXT unless it's for a Takeover). Believe it or not WWE has other really big stars that are worth picking ahead of Nakamura (Cena, Styles, Rollins) and I could make a case for Samoa Joe getting picked ahead of him. Reason this is sound logic = WWE kayfabe does stupid shit all the fucking time.

For what it's worth I hope Nakamura does get drafted to Smackdown because the dude is fucking awesome. But I won't be surprised if he doesn't.

Ronin Ray

Well there is someone who might need a new client in the future.

qMOKX.gif

I am hoping for anyone besides Heyman not because he is bad but because he has been around a lot. I think it would be cool if they went back and got a Female legend. Get luna vachon, Ivory or jacqueline. I am just not sure any of them are good enough on the mic though.

I am hoping for anyone besides Heyman not because he is bad but because he has been around a lot. I think it would be cool if they went back and got a Female legend. Get luna vachon, Ivory or jacqueline. I am just not sure any of them are good enough on the mic though.

I've got some bad news for you...

Good real life reason = Nakamura sticks in NXT a little while longer because NXT needs a top draw and Nakamura hasn't been down there that long. Reason this is solid logic = This is exactly the reason why Balor and Bayley stayed down for as long as they did.
This isn't "real life" logic in wrestling, though. No one, as an intelligent human, looks at a roster of wrestling guys, sees Nakamura, and says "no, this huge moneymaking star with global celebrity potential who mesmerizes audiences is going to stay in the minor leagues because we need him to continue to mesmerize 200 fans."

Skatterd

Probably known, but schedule from an email I just got

7-8 Preshow WWE Network

8-10 WWE Draft USA

Draft Center Live WWE Network
Enhance your experience with WWE Draft Center! Watch on your laptop or mobile device simultaneously during the WWE Draft to get additional LIVE analysis from a panel of WWE experts.

10-11 Draft Center Live WWE Network
The WWE Draft continues! Don't miss the remaining draft picks for both Raw and SmackDown. Plus, exclusive Superstar interviews.

Knox

Don't all the kayfabe reasons that Nakamura has to be called up also apply to Joe and Asuka (and I guess The Revival)? They're the champs, they're the best on NXT, why wouldn't you draft them? The kayfabe draft is Finn, Bayley, Nakamura, Joe, Asuka, Revival or Alpha.

Sephzilla

This isn't "real life" logic in wrestling, though. No one, as an intelligent human, looks at a roster of wrestling guys, sees Nakamura, and says "no, this huge moneymaking star with global celebrity potential who mesmerizes audiences is going to stay in the minor leagues because we need him to continue to mesmerize 200 fans."

NXT house shows have been drawing on par with WWE house shows these days and NXT is one of the bigger draws to WWE Network. There's enough reason to keep him in NXT. Why do you think Finn Balor and Bayley were kept in NXT for as long as they were while The Vaudevillains, Dana Brooke, and Apollo Crews got called up to the main roster? The answer is to keep a couple of draws in NXT to keep the brand relevant.

Don't all the kayfabe reasons that Nakamura has to be called up also apply to Joe and Asuka (and I guess The Revival)? They're the champs, they're the best on NXT, why wouldn't you draft them? The kayfabe draft is Finn, Bayley, Nakamura, Joe, Asuka, Revival or Alpha.

The kayfabe reasons for drafting Nakamura absolutely apply to a bunch of other NXT stars, which is why Nakamura could potentially not get drafted.

Samoa Joe - Reigning NXT champ
Finn Balor - Former champ
Bayley - Former champ
Asuka - Reigning NXT champ
American Alpha - Former champs
The Revival - Reigning NXT champs

There's your 6 NXT picks

NXT house shows have been drawing on par with WWE house shows these days and NXT is one of the bigger draws to WWE Network. There's enough reason to keep him in NXT. Why do you think Finn Balor and Bayley were kept in NXT for as long as they were while The Vaudevillains and Apollo Crews got called up to the main roster?
There wasn't a draft that put a public spotlight on bringing the top six NXT people up right now.

Assuming the champs are ineligible (which I could see happening), no one is drafting Tye Dillinger, Austin Aries, Alexa Bliss, Nia Jax, etc. over Shinsuke fucking Nakamura.

Give this a serious thought. Think about what the live crowd and everyone watching at home is going to feel when Daniel Bryan tries to tell us he's picking Mojo Rawley when we know he has the option to pick Shinsuke Nakamura.

GunBR

There's no way that Nakamura is drafted
NXT will already lose Balor, Bayley, probably American Alpha and maybe Aries (and other 2-3 names)

And the kayfabe reason is simple: He's fighting for the title at TakeOver, that's why they won't draft him or Joe
It's a dumb reason and yes, when Owens debuted on the main roster he was the champ, but c'mon this is WWE. You can't expect some great writing

Sephzilla

There wasn't a draft that put a public spotlight on bringing the top six NXT people up right now.

Assuming the champs are ineligible (which I could see happening), no one is drafting Tye Dillinger, Austin Aries, Alexa Bliss, Nia Jax, etc. over Shinsuke fucking Nakamura.

Give this a serious thought. Think about what the live crowd and everyone watching at home is going to feel when Daniel Bryan tries to tell us he's picking Mojo Rawley when we know he has the option to pick Shinsuke Nakamura.

If champions were ineligible we would have heard about it yesterday when they explained the draft rules on Raw. They're not ineligible. Which means Nakamura could be out of the top 6.

NXT will already lose Balor, Bayley, probably American Alpha and maybe Aries (and other 2-3 names)

And the kayfabe reason is simple: He's fighting for the title at TakeOver, that's why they won't draft him or Joe
It's a dumb reason and yes, when Owens debuted on the main roster he was the champ, but c'mon this is WWE. You can't expect some great writing
That's not the kayfabe reason. No one in kayfabe knows that yet.

If champions were ineligible we would have heard about it yesterday when they explained the draft rules on Raw. They're not ineligible. Which means Nakamura could be out of the top 6.
Man, you're trying to talk to me about logic, but you're saying Shinsuke fucking Nakamura isn't a top 6 NXT star. LOL.

Jezbollah

Ah, I forgot he was announced to be facing Joe at Takeover. Yeah he wont be drafted. Itami though....

(and if KO was drafted to the same show and it came out that he "injured" him then we would have a storyline there to go).

Sephzilla

Man, you're trying to talk to me about logic, but you're saying Shinsuke fucking Nakamura isn't a top 6 NXT star. LOL.

Samoa Joe - Reigning NXT champ
Finn Balor - Former champ
Bayley - Former champ
Asuka - Reigning NXT champ
American Alpha - Former champs
The Revival - Reigning NXT champs

You know what Nakamura isn't? An NXT champ. You're letting some pretty huge Nakamura fandom to blind you to some pretty clear WWE logic

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't even know why they announced the Cruiserweight division. They don't have enough guys on the roster and they don't have enough guys even if they promoted everyone in NXT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom