• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

Petrie

Banned
I completely understand they need time to get the full library up there (either actually needing time, or just wanting to keep back some new content) - but I don't get why the episodes that are up seem completely random?

Raw 1993 for example - Episodes 1 to 4 are up, and then episodes 7 and 8 - where are 5 and 6? It would make no sense jumping from episode 4 to episode 7, surely?

Hopefully that's just a glitch that is sorted out in the next few days once the launch issues calm down.

Edit: ECW too - episodes 26, 30 and 43 - what? At least put up episodes 1-3 or something if they only want to upload 3 shows for now.

Could it have to do with some episodes simply having more music and such that needs to be edited?

was actually going to continue my sub past the 7 days until i found out raw and smackdown are on 30 day delays...i get the ppvs for free anyway due to my line of work so 10 bucks a month to watch ppvs that i could watch highlights on youtube for

no thanks

Make All WWE content Live or at the very least on demand straight after the cable shows

The pre and after shows are like going to a whorehouse and them putting a condom on then taking it off with no action

MattyH

it works ok in chrome (on demand) but live is buffering like hell and i cant get it to work at all on ps3 get cannot play at this time or fatal error

PaulLFC

Could it have to do with some episodes simply having more music and such that needs to be edited?
Yeah that would make sense, if it is the issue though I would hope they'll focus on licencing music in episode order after the PPVs etc, so that they can get some sort of watchable order of episodes up on the site.

JavyOO7

Hmm, on the first episode of RAW Koko B. Ware had Rick Martel's music I believe. I don't think he ever had that theme back in the day. =p

Fatalah

I'm pleasantly surprised at the amount of people using WWE Network. I didn't realize there was such a demand for old content. Yay WWE!

styl3s

was actually going to continue my sub past the 7 days until i found out raw and smackdown are on 30 day delays...i get the ppvs for free anyway due to my line of work so 10 bucks a month to watch ppvs that i could watch highlights on youtube for

no thanks

Make All WWE content Live or at the very least on demand straight after the cable shows

The pre and after shows are like going to a whorehouse and them putting a condom on then taking it off with no action
WWE can't afford to lose live TV.

They will most likely never have Raw live on the network because of cable companies and USA. That's money these companies are losing. Putting it up after? I don't know what deals are in place there. As of right now they have to wait 30 days.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the amount of people using WWE Network. I didn't realize there was such a demand for old content. Yay WWE!
Of course there is a demand. Not everyone just watches current live wrestling.

And the people who aren't interested in old content are getting the network so they can save $40 per ppv.

JavyOO7

During the Steiner Bros match Vince calls Doink the Clown "Dork" instead of Doink. Freaking hilarious how Macho Man was like: "Its Doink Vince... but I think I like Dork better!" That was pretty funny.

MAD Polo

Neo Member
Watched for a good 3 or so hours last night on the PS4 with zero issues. Each thing would pause once or twice and then it would buffer out and everything was good.

Shadybiz

Oh wow the delay is 30 days? Well I'll still definitely sign up for the initial 6 months, but I was hoping to use this to view the weekly shows because I don't have cable anymore. Ah well..at least I'll be able to catch up.

Ravager61

The "live" part of the network might be my favorite feature. It is a great idea.

I hope other services start following suit. Netflix movie channels would be amazing. I can never decide what to watch on Netflix anyway so a few curated movie channels would be awesome.

Kaladin

The "live" part of the network might be my favorite feature. It is a great idea.

I hope other services start following suit. Netflix movie channels would be amazing. I can never decide what to watch on Netflix anyway so a few curated movie channels would be awesome.

I have always said Netflix should do a live 24/7 Network with their content. Now they kind of have to at least consider it. I hope it is on their radar.

joelseph

Oh wow the delay is 30 days? Well I'll still definitely sign up for the initial 6 months, but I was hoping to use this to view the weekly shows because I don't have cable anymore. Ah well..at least I'll be able to catch up.

USA Network is free basic in the states, something to look into if you live here.

joelseph

This is what opened my eyes last night and is what I think the most exciting "future" piece to come out of all this. 'Live' streams are awesome! Give me more!!

Shadybiz

USA Network is free basic in the states, something to look into if you live here.

Nah, we're on the "limited basic" plan, which is about 10 channels, and it's not on there. Also I liked the idea of the network because I would be able to watch the episodes anytime I wanted, and last time I checked (when I DID have USA), they weren't available on Comcast's OnDemand.

I'll still bite though; like I said, that's a ton of PPVs to watch.

BFIB

Guess its going to be a few days before the archived media situation is worked out. Still having issues loading the archives, but no issues on the "live" feed.

But damn, this whole thing is impressive. I really hope this opens some eyes (MLB Network, I'm looking at you) for live streams at a lower cost per month.

Psykoboy2

They'll have to strike a hell of a deal to get the Raw & Smackdown replays to happen quicker on the network. Hulu is owned by NBC/Universal, as is USA & SyFy, so I would imagine any deal stuck would be for the benefit of NBC/U before it would be for the network.

RPGCrazied

Does this have all previous old WWF ppv's? What about WCW Nitro? Don't really watch current wrestling, but if it has all that I'd jump in.

Kaladin

They'll have to strike a hell of a deal to get the Raw & Smackdown replays to happen quicker on the network. Hulu is owned by NBC/Universal, as is USA & SyFy, so I would imagine any deal stuck would be for the benefit of NBC/U before it would be for the network.

I would be willing to bet that is the hangup in their current negotiations. They want a good a deal for the Network.

It felt odd last night for Raw to not be on the Network with the pre and post shows. They want to shop it around to someone who will offer simulcast with the Network.

bigkrev

Does this have all previous old WWF ppv's? What about WCW Nitro? Don't really watch current wrestling, but if it has all that I'd jump in.

The only WWE PPVs that it is missing are Royal Rumble 2011 (probably a Glitch), Royal Rumble 2014 (coming on Wednesday) and Elimination Chamber 2014 (coming in 28 days)

No Nitro yet but they will be adding old TV over the course of time

I would be willing to bet that is the hangup in their current negotiations. They want a good a deal for the Network.

It felt odd last night for Raw to not be on the Network with the pre and post shows. They want to shop it around to someone who will offer simulcast with the Network.

What company is going to pay a gigantic amount of money for the programming that, while it gets good ratings, does not do well with advertisers, and will not have exclusive privilege to show it?

Aiii

So not worth it
I still can't get over the image quality. Watching Bash at the Beach 96 right now and this is the first time watching it without default VHS shenanigans. It's blows my mind.

RPGCrazied

The only WWE PPVs that it is missing are Royal Rumble 2011 (probably a Glitch), Royal Rumble 2014 (coming on Wednesday) and Elimination Chamber 2014 (coming in 28 days)

No Nitro yet but they will be adding old TV over the course of time

Oh I mean, can you watch like all wrestlemania's and royal rumbles? That's cool. I'll probably wait then when they have some WCW stuff.

Kaladin

What company is going to pay a gigantic amount of money for the programming that, while it gets good ratings, does not do well with advertisers, and will not have exclusive privilege to show it?

UFC-on-FOX.jpg

Petrie

Banned
Yeah that would make sense, if it is the issue though I would hope they'll focus on licencing music in episode order after the PPVs etc, so that they can get some sort of watchable order of episodes up on the site.

I'd hope so too, but right out the gate I'd assume the focus was on volume and not watchability.

bigkrev

Oh I mean, can you watch like all wrestlemania's and royal rumbles? That's cool. I'll probably wait then when they have some WCW stuff.

Right now, it has every WCW PPV except for the ones that were co-promoted with other Promotions (the Japan shows from the early 90s, and 1994s AAA When Worlds Collide)

HeySeuss

The 30 day delay is probably in their contract with Hulu. I can't imagine USA gives much of a fuck what happens after the live broadcast.

Haven't got this yet, waiting for the bugs to be worked out. How is the service? Easy to search/navigate? Is it set up like Netflix interface? Somebody said the VOD buffers a lot. Sounds like things aren't terrible but will get better.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Will let it settle for a few days but as some have noted, the live content is loading but for me I get videos loading like Summerslam 92 or Wrestlemania 6 and it loads at the 4 second mark every time and just hangs there. The 1 or 2 times the actual video loaded were really stuttery and unwatchable.

bigkrev

For the record, while I have had zero issues with the live feed, the only archived item I was able to access on PS3 was WM 29 (I was trying everything on the main page). On the website, I could load whatever I wanted with no problems.

Kaladin

They don't simulcast the Fox shows anywhere else. Also, UFC gets alcohol ads, something that WWE does not. Also, it's live sports- for the most part, people who watch it are going to watch it live.

I'm not saying WWE will get simulcast of Raw and Smackdown (maybe just Smackdown, since it's taped), but they are trying to negotiate for a shorter wait period. Currently NBC Universal has Hulu rights on the edited version for the day after it airs and full rights to a replay the Saturday after it airs on Universal HD. WWE is looking to get a better deal and at least bring those replays in house, if not the simulcast which is I'm sure what they really want.

UFC on FOX might have been a bad comparison on that point.

PaulLFC

Simulcast would be amazing. You could literally watch it like a channel then for all WWE content, no flicking between channels (yes, I realise that sounds incredibly lazy).

I imagine that would mean a BIG decrease on what money they could ask for for the TV rights compared to not simulcasting, though, so it's how much of a decrease they're willing to accept I'd bet.

Downhome

On the live stream Xavier Woods is answering questions and explaining how the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles taught him to be a maaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnn!

bigkrev

Simulcast would be amazing. You could literally watch it like a channel then for all WWE content, no flicking between channels (yes, I realise that sounds incredibly lazy).

I imagine that would mean a BIG decrease on what money they could ask for for the TV rights compared to not simulcasting, though, so it's how much of a decrease they're willing to accept I'd bet.

Considering they aren't doing it already, they would probably have to take less money than they are currently getting from NBC Universal to do so.
And they are trying to more than double their current deal
So I don't see this ever happening, unless it was done through a cable log-in (like NBCs Olympics app), and there were commercials

bigkrev

So whats the Benoit warning message like?

A black screen before the show with this text

“The following program is presented in its original form. It may contain some content that does not reflect WWE’s corporate views and may not be suitable for viewers. WWE characters are fictitious and do not reflect the personal lives of the actors portraying them. Viewer discretion is advised.

You can block access to this program and others like it using the Parental Control feature in your WWE Network account settings.”

And now the app is just refusing the stream anything, this is looking more like simply a bad service instead of being hammered by a ton of people.

Top Bottom