• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Overall I think this thing is great, with plenty of room to improve and grow.

I'm hoping they'll at LEAST consider a tiered plan, where I can pay $15 or $20 a month and get RAW/Smackdown live (WITH commercials even!).

WWE is just the last piece of this no cable puzzle...

Hasney

I think I would be more into old school 80's and 90's if I could watch the weeklies with the PPVs.

Yeah same. I want to dive into ECW PPVs as well, but I want the TV shows to be up first.

This is getting so annoyingly temperamental now. All I want to do is watch Survivor Series 98!

Both PS3 and PS4 perform just about the same way: Works when it fucking feels like it. Seriously all I ever get is this player saying that it's 4 seconds in and just stays blank. Granted we're a day removed from launch and hearing that it works wonders for SOME people has me optiimstic a bit.

At least until BOO-Mania 30.

NoTacos

I'm hoping they'll at LEAST consider a tiered plan, where I can pay $15 or $20 a month and get RAW/Smackdown live (WITH commercials even!).

Why would they need to charge you more if they have the same commercials as normal cable? Same ad revenue, if not more for owning and distributing the content.

Non-WWE commercials would seem out of place, but honestly if it lets me watch the show via the app im all for it. Hell Vince, even name some sponsors mid broadcast.

Deadstar

I really don't like how the "live" content is not archived. What's the point? I wanted to watch the Golddust thing today but it looks like it's gone. Am I missing something?

kIdMuScLe

They need to make a Metro app to be on Xbox One. As soon as they have one ready for Windows as well it will probably come to the One.

I think its a timed exclusive on PS4 for next gen systems. Xbone version comes out in 'Summer 2014' if I'm not mistaken.

Nope. Only 360, PS3 & PS4 at launch.

It's coming this summer to Xbox One. Should have been ready at launch here but it wasn't sadly.

Its coming "later this summer" I believe.

ahh what a load of crap... :-(

geomon

Agreed. I can't wait to see this service in a year. I remember when Playstation Plus was laughable.

Hasney

Can't run anything on browser or PS4 now. They better have it fixed by Wrestlemania or there will be a Backlash... And not the PPV.

Aiii

So not worth it
I think its a timed exclusive on PS4 for next gen systems. Xbone version comes out in 'Summer 2014' if I'm not mistaken.
Imagine Vinny Mac calling up Andrew House and going "for 100k I'll make the WWE App PlayStation 4 exclusive for the first six months."

Lol.

Into

Caller: "WWE can suck my dick"
Alvarez: "Woah there daddy...is it that bad?"
Caller: YESSS!"

Lol this show is hilarious, such different experiences, mostly all due to technical reasons.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Why would they need to charge you more if they have the same commercials as normal cable? Same ad revenue, if not more for owning and distributing the content.

Non-WWE commercials would seem out of place, but honestly if it lets me watch the show via the app im all for it. Hell Vince, even name some sponsors mid broadcast.

You're not just paying for the commercials, you're paying USA to keep them happy.

TV shit is complicated, and I'm not even going to begin to pretend I know the half of it... but USA isn't going to be happy if their ratings plummet, because then they will have to charge less for their ads and then it's really a downward spiral. They're going to need compensation and a better part of the rev share to make it work.

WWE doesn't want to piss off USA, because they don't want to lose their spot on TV or cause the negotiations to go south...So we're going to have to pay USA to get the programming on the WWE Network.

Question is, how much is each person worth... In truth, I bet we bring USA somewhere between .50 cents to $2.00 per month, per viewer, but they'll take the option of going higher if they can.

Does anyone know if they have plans to live stream Raw/Smackdown or post them the day after they air eventually? I haven't had cable for a few years, and that would make this service perfect.

jmdajr

Does anyone know if they have plans to live stream Raw/Smackdown or post them the day after they air eventually? I haven't had cable for a few years, and that would make this service perfect.

30 day wait period.

If you want day after you need Hulu, although that is a 90 minute version.

bigkrev

Caller: "WWE can suck my dick"
Alvarez: "Woah there daddy...is it that bad?"
Caller: YESSS!"

Lol this show is hilarious, such different experiences, mostly all due to technical reasons.

This is a callback to 2006, when he couldn't get the hall of fame stream to work on wwe.com, and he went on a tirade that ended with WWE.com could suck his dick

jmdajr

What? I knew it was cut but damn. They cut a 3 hour show down to 90 minutes? That's insane.

Yeah but think of all the commercials. That's 45 minutes at least of non wwe commercials. For the most part they are doing you a favor unless you love DIVA matches.

Aiii

So not worth it
What? I knew it was cut but damn. They cut a 3 hour show down to 90 minutes? That's insane.
Without commercials Raw is only 2:15h including overrun, so you're only missing filler and shilling of various WWE stuff by the announcers. the important stuff is all there.

NoTacos

You're not just paying for the commercials, you're paying USA to keep them happy.

TV shit is complicated, and I'm not even going to begin to pretend I know the half of it... but USA isn't going to be happy if their ratings plummet, because then they will have to charge less for their ads and then it's really a downward spiral. They're going to need compensation and a better part of the rev share to make it work.

WWE doesn't want to piss off USA, because they don't want to lose their spot on TV or cause the negotiations to go south...So we're going to have to pay USA to get the programming on the WWE Network.

Question is, how much is each person worth... In truth, I bet we bring USA somewhere between .50 cents to $2.00 per month, per viewer, but they'll take the option of going higher if they can.
I thought about this. WWE but what if WWE doesn't let the contract renew and simply renegotiates to have simulcast with USA or another channel?

Into

when was this?

Its the call in show, just Bryan Alvarez and random callers

FREE TODAY! Feb 24 Figure Four Daily: Open lines on the launch of the WWE Network, what viewers are saying, what works and what doesn't, more technical help, tons more!

http://www.f4wonline.com/component/...and-what-doesnt-more-technical-help-tons-more

Its free for even non members

The first caller of course completely misunderstands the point of the show and starts talking creative. Still far superior callers than the ones that call Keller and Mitchell, my god some of those people yuck!

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I thought about this. WWE but what if WWE doesn't let the contract renew and simply renegotiates to have simulcast with USA or another channel?

Totally possible... but they're likely going to have to share in the revenue with the channel on some level - and they won't want to dig into the $9.99 subscription to do that... that's why I think it would be good to get a WWE Network+ subscription - the base + live TV.

No one's going to want to carry Raw or Smackdown if fans can simply bypass the broadcast channel for the WWE Network - potentially massive loss of revenue for WWE.

bigkrev

WWE wants to make more money. They had an exclusive window with NBC Universal (USA network, Syfy) already expire because NBC wasn't willing to pay what WWE wanted. So they are now on the open market. If they don't manage to find a better deal, it will be brutal to their stock price (which is at a all time high right now because WWE promised a huge increase in TV revenue).

If they want to simulcast the show on the network, it is going to cost them lots of money in negotiations. If i'm a TV company, I'm going to negotiate assuming that every single subscriber to the network will watch on the Network instead of on broadcast. WWE, while it does not get good ad rates, does draw good numbers, which has allowed USA to claim they are the #1 channel on cable. If the raitings go down, the value of the WWE contract drops signficantly- it already does poor ad rates, and history has shown that wrestling fans normally don't stick around after the show ends (Early Seasons of TUF are the rare exception).

If I'm a TV exec, I not only don't want the programming on the network, I probably don't want it on Hulu!

fader

PayPal. Trial's activated according to the settings and it says it will charge my PayPal on March 3.

hm. that' weird. when i was getting that error i didnt have my card information registered yet but once i did that it started working for me

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so apple tv last night was just busted. it would load the TV-rating portion "views expressed yaddayadda" but then wouldn't load the video.

I switched to PS4.... omg the interface is god awful. Thank god apple forced them to be consistent on thier ATV platform. With that being said, the videos loaded...... very slowly. It took probably 60+ seconds for the TV-rating part to load, then another 30-60 seconds for the PPV to load, then when it finally started playing (like two minutes after clicking play) it would play stuttering for like the first 10-15 minutes. After that time it seemed to be buffered alright and would play fine. Ironically the "live" stream played just fine from the get-go with no issues (on both Apple TV and PS4)

So technical issues aside... I saw in the first Survivor series that WWF was not blurred out. I also thought I heard original intro themes... What is the situation on these.. Has anyone verified if the music has been overwritten in the PPVs or TV eps? Are there any indications that WWF is blurred anywhere?

edit - if WWE can actually work simulcast agreements in with the new SD and RAW contracts. OMG. That would be just insane.

iMax

so apple tv last night was just busted. it would load the TV-rating portion "views expressed yaddayadda" but then wouldn't load the video.

I switched to PS4.... omg the interface is god awful. Thank god apple forced them to be consistent on thier ATV platform. With that being said, the videos loaded...... very slowly. It took probably 60+ seconds for the TV-rating part to load, then another 30-60 seconds for the PPV to load, then when it finally started playing (like two minutes after clicking play) it would play stuttering for like the first 10-15 minutes. After that time it seemed to be buffered alright and would play fine. Ironically the "live" stream played just fine from the get-go with no issues (on both Apple TV and PS4)

So technical issues aside... I saw in the first Survivor series that WWF was not blurred out. I also thought I heard original intro themes... What is the situation on these.. Has anyone verified if the music has been overwritten in the PPVs or TV eps? Are there any indications that WWF is blurred anywhere?

edit - if WWE can actually work simulcast agreements in with the new SD and RAW contracts. OMG. That would be just insane.

They don't have to blur the logos anymore.

Top Bottom