• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

Hasney

The ECW PPVs still hold up, it's fantastic stuff.

Survivor Series 1998 finally worked though. God I love this PPV, think it's my favourite of all time. THANKS RUSSO.

EDIT: The opening video package worked before I went to buffering hell anyway.

jred2k

Does anyone remember what show was on yesterday that talked about Golddust' character and Roddy Piper? I can't seem to find it.

It wasn't a program, it was just a vignette between the WM1 airing and the Raw pre-show. Those things, if they do more of them, need to get archived. The Goldust one was great, but you'll probably need to just get lucky to see it again. I've seen a few people mention it, though.

BFIB

The ECW PPVs still hold up, it's fantastic stuff.

Survivor Series 1998 finally worked though. God I love this PPV, think it's my favourite of all time. THANKS RUSSO.

EDIT: The opening video package worked before I went to buffering hell anyway.

I was at this PPV. Not as good as I remembered, minus the finish at the very end. Guess I need to rewatch it, since I only saw it live.

pa22word

Trying to watch WMX7 atm and the player is being all kinds of stubborn. The video is aligned off center, is constantly starting and stopping, and has no player controls at all o_O

Also what happened to us having Attitude Era eps up on day 1? I'm not finding any classic raw/sd eps anywhere based on what I where I was looking. Might have missed it though.

Watched around 4-5 straight hours of old school wrestling and it was f'n amazing. I'm sorry but my opinion won't change. Everything post-John Cena era-is uber crap compared to the old school stuff.

On another note. I never had this opinion before, but I really can't stand Jerry Lawler.

Samus4145

Man, the skipping is awful right now. Just finished the RVD v. Lance Storm match in about 1 minute. Dodging, skip to a flip outside, skip to a chair in the ring, skip to the Van Daminator and match is over.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
For sure. Fuck Michael Hayes. He turns every topic and story into something about him, interrupts people, and is a general douche bag with a massively inflated sense of self.

Hayes did bring the Hardys out of mediocrity. Well, he helped. I think he was a great addition for them till Lita slutted them up.

ultrazilla

Well that sucks, I knew we'd have to wait but that puts a major dampener on the whole thing.

I swear I thought I read somewhere that the WWE Network would have RAW episodes up the day after they air. That was a major part I was looking forward to as I never can watch them live.

Been having a bit of trouble with the Network, and was wondering if anyone here would be able to help me out.

When watching the live stream, I want to have the stream full screen on my 2nd monitor, however, clicking anywhere on the primary cancels the full screen, which is rather annoying.

The on demand stuff though, does not have this issue, and I've no idea why this is happening. Using Firefox from the UK. Anyone being able to shine a light on this would be greatly appreciated.

Nuklear

Banned
Wish the VOD stuff would remember where you left off instead of starting all the way back over if you quit have to come back to it later.

blurrygil

For sure. Fuck Michael Hayes. He turns every topic and story into something about him, interrupts people, and is a general douche bag with a massively inflated sense of self.

I am THOROUGHLY shocked by this accusation...

ps.jpg

Argh. Network is being so ridiculous right now. The livestreams are flawless but I can't watch anything else without being kicked out and unable to get to where I was.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member

The man was in the Fabulous Freebirds, arguably the greatest stable of all time, and his work in that is downright ahead of its time. You give him all the slack in the world! ;)

Razorskin

----- ------
Wish the VOD stuff would remember where you left off instead of starting all the way back over if you quit have to come back to it later.

Me too, I can get a PPV running perfectly via on demand but if I do any time skips it just gets stuck and doesn't play.

PaulLFC

I must be missing something obvious here, but watching the Bret/Shawn documentary on the live stream now, I could have sworn some of the match footage from the early 90s is in widescreen. I put Armageddon 2000 on before, and that wasn't in widescreen.

Is there a reason for the difference? I assumed WWF/E didn't start filming in widescreen until later, that's what surprised me about some of Bret & Shawn's match footage being widescreen.

strobogo

Banned
The man was in the Fabulous Freebirds, arguably the greatest stable of all time, and his work in that is downright ahead of its time. You give him all the slack in the world! ;)

His work was terrible. Michael Hayes was an awful wrestler and not even a good talker. He just had a drunk voice and thought he was a rock star. He was ultra, ultra cheesy and gross.

Fuck Michael Hayes. Piece of shit.

I must be missing something obvious here, but watching the Bret/Shawn documentary on the live stream now, I could have sworn some of the match footage from the early 90s is in widescreen. I put Armageddon 2000 on before, and that wasn't in widescreen.

Is there a reason for the difference? I assumed WWF/E didn't start filming in widescreen until later, that's what surprised me about some of Bret & Shawn's match footage being widescreen.

I think that just some of the footage had been upscaled for the Bret/Shawn documentary. 4:3 is the native dimensions for almost all of their footage up until they started to work in HD.

Razorskin

----- ------

They must have cropped or stretched the original videos to make it 16:9 for the documentary. For sure if you watch the PPVs on the network those scenes were taken from they'll be 4:3

HT UK

Does anyone think it's worth signing up to something like Unblock-Us to access this from the UK? Or will free alternatives like Hola do the trick just fine?

BFIB

My nephew would love to watch this. But my bro is strapped for cash, anyone have any issues logging in from multiple devices?

I'd hate to be watching and get cut off, and vice versa. But if it works like Netflix, then that'd be cool.

Razorskin

----- ------
My nephew would love to watch this. But my bro is strapped for cash, anyone have any issues logging in from multiple devices?

I'd hate to be watching and get cut off, and vice versa. But if it works like Netflix, then that'd be cool.

I believe two devices at a time is ok, no more than that.

Hasney

Does anyone think it's worth signing up to something like Unblock-Us to access this from the UK? Or will free alternatives like Hola do the trick just fine?

Hola works fine on PC, but unblock-us is best if you're going to use consoles/phone apps.

Also, I've seen this Shawn/Bret DVD several times, but I do love it.

Here's the card for the phantom WCW Great American Bash 1991 card, which is the only WCW PPV missing from the WWE Network:

The original main event for this PPV was a heavily-promoted Steel Cage Match featuring WCW World Champion Ric Flair defending the title against WCW U.S. Champion Lex Luger. Luger was scheduled to finally win the title from Flair and start a huge babyface run as the champion. However, two weeks before the PPV, WCW Executive Vice President Jim Herd fired Flair for breach of contract.

This forced a huge shakeup in not-only the show but with future booking plans. There had been another Cage Match planned for the show. It was a six-person bout featuring The Steiner Brothers & Missy Hyatt vs. Arn Anderson, Barry Windham, & Paul E. Dangerously. This match already needed to be changed due to Scott Steiner suffering a severe arm injury that required surgery and months to heal.

Windham was named the #2 contender to the World Title and was moved into the WCW World Title Cage Match against Luger. Luger won the title after Harley Race appeared at ringside, barking instructions to Luger. Luger and Windham did a double turn, with Luger turning heel and Windham turning babyface mid-match. Needing a new top heel now that Flair was gone, Luger aligned himself with Race as his new manager and Mr. Hughes as his new bodyguard.

-- "Stunning" Steve Austin & "The Taylor-Made Man" Terrence Taylor (with Lady Blossom) vs. "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton and P.N. News in a Capture The Flag Scaffold Match
-- The Diamond Studd (with Diamond Dallas Page) vs. "The Z-Man" Tom Zenk
-- Oz (with Merlin The Wizard) vs. Ron Simmons
-- Richard Morton (with Alexandra York) vs. Robert Gibson
-- Johnny B. Badd (with Teddy Long) vs. The Yellow Dog
-- Black Blood (with Kevin Sullivan) vs. Big Josh
-- The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael "P.S." Hayes, Jimmy "Jam" Garvin, and Badstreet) (with Big Daddy Dink) vs. "The Natural" Dustin Rhodes & The Southern Boys (Tracey Smothers & Steve Armstrong)
-- The One Man Gang (with Kevin Sullivan) vs. El Gigante
-- Nikita Koloff vs. Sting in a Russian Chain Match
-- Barry Windham vs. "The Total Package" Lex Luger in a Steel Cage Match for the vacant WCW World Heavyweight Title
-- Arn Anderson & Paul E. Dangerously vs. Rick Steiner in a Steel Cage Handicap Match

For those keeping score:

Diamond Studd = Scott Hall
Oz = Kevin Nash
Merlin The Wizard = Kevin Sullivan in a mask
The Yellow Dog = Brian Pillman in a "disguise"
Badstreet = Brad Armstrong in a mask

The fans in Baltimore, MD had been absolutely brutal all night, hijacking the entire show to chant "We Want Flair!" ringing through the arena the entire night. The Luger vs. Windham Cage Match was nothing but Flair chants and the fans seemed close to rioting once it was clear Flair was not at the show.

Even better, since Flair had taken off with the big gold belt because he didn't get his $25,000 plus interest deposit back on the belt, WCW commissioned a new title to be made. Unfortunately, beltmaker Reggie Parks couldn't have it ready by the PPV. Because they needed a new title, a title belt that was obviously an old Championship Wrestling from Florida title belt was used. Dusty Rhodes brought it from his collection and stuck a cheap-looking metal plate that said "WCW World Heavyweight Champion" on the front of it.

The tag team Cage Match was shortened to Rick Steiner & Hyatt vs. Anderson & Dangerously. It became a Handicap Match when Dick Murdoch & Dick Slater randomly kidnapped Hyatt before the match.

Due to the building tension among the fans over the absence of Flair, it's likely someone called an audible because the "main event" lasted a little over two minutes as Steiner crushed Paul E. with a clothesline and pinned him in 2:08. Everyone got the hell out of there immediately as the "We Wanr Flair!" chants continued to end the show.

Oh my god this PPV sounds so fucking horrible. 11 matches and the crowd hijacking the entire show with Flair chants? I MUST SEE IT.

strobogo

Banned
It's really bad. The only decent match is Sting vs Nikita. The crowd chanting for Flair isn't worth watching the show. The fans aren't anywhere near the hijackers that WWE crowds have been in the past 2 months.

None of the on-demand videos make it past the first 10 minutes without buffering. None. The farthest I've ever gotten would Wrestlemania X after the Bret/Owen match. That's it. I'm using both the PS3 and 4 for this.

korly

GAB 1991 is the first WCW PPV I ever saw, back when I first figured out how to tune my TV "in between" channels so I could run one TV with a fuzzy B&W feed of the video and another TV next to it could run the sound. The OZ debut was... something.

Top Bottom