• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

FyreWulff

I can't even log on to the 360 app. It says my login is invalid. I don't care that much since my TV and PC are connected anyway, but I thought I'd see what it looked like and couldn't even get in.

360 app is broken right now. I had to use the PS3.

Apparently it's on Microsoft's end

krae_man

Bryan's lucky CM Punk took his ball and went home. He was stuck in "Get paired with another random guy who isn't getting a featured mania program but is high enough up the food chair to get a Wrestlemania payday" land.

He probably would have been "Upgraded" from Sheamus to Kane.

Bryan's lucky CM Punk took his ball and went home. He was stuck in "Get paired with another random guy who isn't getting a featured mania program but is high enough up the food chair to get a Wrestlemania payday" land.

He probably would have been "Upgraded" from Sheamus to Kane.

Yeah I'm going to be really disappointed if/when Guardians of the Galaxy becomes the champ.

Wow. The conclusion to Survivor Series '97 straight cuts off after Michaels walks off with the title. No credits/closing video package at all.

If anyone saw this on ppv live when it happened, did they cut the feed the exact same way or did they show Bret raging afterwards?

That's how it went off the air. They signed off quick as Michaels was going to the back.

Recall

Summerslam 2001 and Wrestlemania 17 still hold up so well and I guess they are perfect modern era PPV's for that entertainment value.

Because he's wrestling Brock Lesnar.

It's fun to make up things and throw them out there and hope you get it right, but I'm not going to give dirtsheet people the benefit of the doubt since their livelihood is based on getting attention.

Yeah it wasn't reported by Newz sites. It was reported by legitimate wrestling reporters. So, saying that they are "based on getting your attention" devalues your argument because the Observer and Torch and both not that at all.

RobbieNick

Watching countdown on PS4 and there's been absolutely ZERO buffering. I can fast forward and it'll start playing at that spot immediately. This app has never worked better. I guess they're finally getting the kinks out.

Aiii

So not worth it
Dave Meltzer clarifies the technical issues:
Essentially, the technical reason some things did and didn’t work, or didn’t work on different devices was because for both video-on-demand and live streams, WWE and MLBAM are using a content distribution network of a number of caching services in various locations around the country. These servers bring content geographically closer to a user requesting it. But they only serve what is expected to be the most popular content. That’s why the live stream has few problems, but some video-on-demand material that they didn’t expect there would be much interest in, such as WCW and ECW PPVs, have had more problems. When a user requests content not part of the local cache, the cache has to request it, taking time and server resources.

What happened the first two days is too many users requested too much different content, and they don’t have either the storage or bandwidth to retrieve it and serve it quickly enough.

The crashing of the ability to order it was because they were preparing for fewer orders than they received, which in a sense, is a good problem. That problem could occur again during WrestleMania week, so it would be encouraged that if you are ordering for WrestleMania, to order a week out when demand on the servers would be low.

strobogo

Banned
I'm pretty sure Andre vs Hogan is edited to change to different angles on some of the spots that looked bad. Andre's headbutt into the ring post for example. It cuts to a wide shot from behind instead of the hand held shot right in the action.

Anyone figured a way to get the network working on an Android device outside the US? Unblock us is working great on my iPad, PS3 and PC but the I can't get around the location check on Android.

I thought I might be able to get it running through a browser with flash but on the browser's I've tried the website tells me to download the app even when requesting the desktop version of the site.

PaulLFC

The PS4 app is pretty poor from MLBAM, really. Hopefully they get an improved version out soon, going to give them the benefit of the doubt since it's launch week and they have multiple apps to release and support. What they need to fix on PS4 from what I've found:

- Circle to enter text instead of X - how this got through testing (was there any?) I'm not sure.
- No search.
- No ability to view yesterday or earlier on the live stream - in fact not even the ability to view the current day's morning content if you start the app in the afternoon.
- Time stays on the screen unless you bring up the navigation bar again.

I don't know if this is unique to the PS4 app, but new content doesn't seem to be archived - for example Raw pre- and post- shows. I assume on PC/iPad they can be accessed by navigating back through the days on the live schedule, but you can't do that on PS4, so they're essentially not watchable.

Recall

Growing up solely on WWF meant I missed out on a lot of WCW. I'm still so stoked to have access to so much of it.

I need more Steiner tag matches in my life!

Growing up solely on WWF meant I missed out on a lot of WCW. I'm still so stoked to have access to so much of it.

I need more Steiner tag matches in my life!

Watch WCW WrestleWar '92. Steiners vs. Tatsumi Fujinami & Takayuki Iizuka for the IWGP Tag Titles. The Steiners FUCK UP Iizuka.

PaulLFC

Was Royal Rumble 2014 supposed to be up by now, or did I work the dates out wrong? I thought the 30 days had passed by now, but it's not up yet.

Shadybiz

Just signed up last night. I watched "This Tuesday Night in Texas" from 1991...grinning from ear to ear the whole time. I remember watching the Survivor Series that came right before that with a friend, and getting hyped about Macho Man coming back to beat on Jake the Snake, after being bitten by the cobra. I wasn't able to see this one, just because I didn't get to order many ppv's as a kid, so this was awesome. My wife came in from work, saw me watching it, and just started laughing. I have no shame.

There was just a bit of buffering at the beginning, but it ironed itself out several minutes in (PS3).

PaulLFC

I need more! That was so awesome, thanks for the suggestion.
We really need some sort of "guide to what to watch" thread or post. So much choice! Maybe it could be done as an initial list then as suggestions for what to watch are made the events with the most suggestions are moved higher in the list, etc.

Recall

We really need some sort of "guide to what to watch" thread or post. So much choice! Maybe it could be done as an initial list then as suggestions for what to watch are made the events with the most suggestions are moved higher in the list, etc.

We need a spreadsheet based on year that highlights the worth while PPV matches from all available shows and feds, and I mean the genuinely totally worth your time matches.

Aiii

So not worth it
Then on top of that, I bet Unblock-us gives us all a similar location in the states when we access it, so us filthy region skirting bastards are hogging one server.

Yeah, that's what I figure too.

But that's okay, as long as well all agree to watch the exact same PPV's, the cache will mean a perfect seamless experience for all of us Euros.

Vylash

Then on top of that, I bet Unblock-us gives us all a similar location in the states when we access it, so us filthy region skirting bastards are hogging one server.

Goddamn foreigners illegally sneaking across our network borders and stealing all of our servers, Colter was right all along

Recall

Must See PPV Matches. (copy and paste the list, and bold any additions you make)

WWE
  • Chris Jericho vs. Chris Benoit (Royal Rumble, January 21, 2001 - WWE Intercontinental Title/Ladder Match)
  • Chris Jericho vs. Chris Benoit vs. Eddie Guerrero vs. X-Pac (No Way Out, February 25, 2001 - WWE Intercontinental Title Match)
  • Triple H vs. Steve Austin (No Way Out, February 25, 2001 - 2/3 Falls Match: Straight Wrestling/Street Fight/Cage Match)
  • The Rock vs. Kurt Angle (No Way Out, February 25, 2001 - WWE Championship Match)
  • Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit (WrestleMania X-7, April 1, 2001)
  • Edge & Christian vs. The Hardy Boyz vs. The Dudley Boyz (WrestleMania X-7, April 1, 2001 - WWE World Tag Team Title/TLC Match
  • The Undertaker vs. Triple H (WrestleMania X-7, April 1, 2001)
  • Steve Austin vs. The Rock (WrestleMania X-7, April 1, 2001 - WWE Championship Match/No Holds Barred)
  • Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit (Judgment Day, May 20, 2001 - 2/3 Falls: Straight Wrestling/Submission Match/Ladder Match)
  • Kurt Angle vs. Shane McMahon (King of the Ring, June 24, 2001 - Street Fight)
  • Kurt Angle vs. Steve Austin (SummerSlam, August 19, 2001 - WWE Championship Match)
  • Rob Van Dam vs. Chris Jericho (Unforgiven, September 23, 2001 - WWE Hardcore Title Match)
  • Chris Jericho vs. The Rock (No Mercy, October 21, 2001 - WCW Championship Match)

WCW
  • The Jung Dragons vs. Jamie Knoble & Evan Karagias (Sin, January 14, 2001)
  • Elix Skipper & Kid Romeo vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. & Billy Kidman (Greed, March 18, 2001 - WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Title Tournament Finals)

Will make lists for the other years as soon as I can.

Recall

Must See PPV Matches. (copy and paste the list, and bold any additions you make)

WWE

• Triple H vs. Cactus Jack (Royal Rumble, January 23, 2000 - WWE Championship Match/Street Fight)
  • Triple H vs. Cactus Jack (No Way Out, February 27, 2000 - WWE Championship/Hell In A Cell Match)
  • Edge & Christian vs. The Hardy Boyz vs. The Dudley Boyz (WrestleMania XVI, April 2, 2000 - WWE World Tag Team Title/Ladder Match)
  • Dean Malenko vs. Scotty 2 Hotty (Backlash, April 30, 2000 - WWE Light Heavyweight Title Match)
  • Chris Benoit vs. Chris Jericho (Backlash, April 30, 2000 - WWE Intercontinental Title Match)
  • The Rock vs. Triple H (Backlash, April 30, 2000 - WWE Championship Match)
  • Chris Benoit vs. Chris Jericho (Judgment Day, May 21, 2000 - WWE Intercontinental Title/Submission Match)
  • Triple H vs. The Rock (Judgment Day, May 21, 2000 - WWE Championship/Ironman Match)
  • Triple H vs. Chris Jericho (Fully Loaded, July 23, 2000 - Last Man Standing Match)
  • The Rock vs. Chris Benoit (Fully Loaded, July 23, 2000 - WWE Championship Match)
  • Edge & Christian vs. The Hardy Boyz vs. The Dudley Boyz (SummerSlam, August 27, 2000 - WWE World Tag Team Title/TLC Match)
  • Chris Benoit vs. Chris Jericho (SummerSlam, August 27, 2000 - 2/3 Falls Match)
  • Triple H vs. Chris Benoit (No Mercy, October 22, 2000)
  • Kurt Angle vs. The Rock (No Mercy, October 22, 2000 - WWE Championship Match)

WCW
  • I can't remember a single worth while PPV match. So help needed here.

Recall

WWF

• Shawn Michaels vs. Owen Hart (In Your House, February 18, 1996)
  • Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart (WrestleMania XII, March 31, 1996 - WWE Championship/Ironman Match)
  • Shawn Michaels vs. Diesel (IYH: Good Friends, Better Enemies, April 28, 1996 - WWE Championship Match/No Hold Barred)
  • Marc Mero vs. Hunter Hearst Helmsley (IYH: Beware of Dog, May 26, 1996)
  • Savio Vega vs. Steve Austin (IYH: Beware of Dog II, May 28, 1996 - Strap Match)
  • Steve Austin vs. Marc Mero (King of the Ring, June 23, 1996 - KOTR Tournament Semi-Finals)
  • Shawn Michaels vs. Davey Boy Smith (King of the Ring, June 23, 1996 - WWE Title Match)
  • Vader, Owen Hart & Davey Boy Smith vs. Shawn Michaels, Ahmed Johnson & Psycho Sid (IYH: International Incident, July 21, 1996)
  • Shawn Michaels vs. Vader (SummerSlam, August 18, 1996 - WWE Championship Match)
  • Shawn Michaels vs. Mankind (IYH: Mind Games, September 22, 1996 - WWE Championship Match)
  • Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin (Survivor Series, November 17, 1996)
  • Psycho Sid vs. Shawn Michaels (Survivor Series, November 17, 1996 - WWE Championship Match)

WCW
  • Ric Flair vs. Randy Savage (SuperBrawl 6, February 11, 1996 - WCW World Title/Cage Match)
  • Dean Malenko vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. (Great American Bash, June 16, 1996 - WCW Cruiserweight Title Match)
  • Chris Benoit vs. Kevin Sullivan (Great American Bash, June 16, 1996 - Falls Count Anywhere Match)
  • Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Psicosis (Bash At the Beach, July 7, 1996)
  • Chris Benoit vs. Dean Malenko (Hog Wild, August 10, 1996)
  • Chris Benoit vs. Chris Jericho (Fall Brawl, September 15, 1996)
  • Ultimo Dragon vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. (World War III, November 24, 1996)
  • Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Jushin Liger (Starrcade, December 29, 1996)

Hasney

Love watching the stream at this time before the modern stuff comes on. Slightly disgusted a Nasty Boys chant broke out though.

EDIT: OH GOD THERE'S ANOTHER ONE. GET EM SHAWN.

Samus4145

My wife, who has been watching Raw with me the past few months had some comments while watching Barely Legal '97:

• This is better than the Monday stuff
• It focuses on the actual in ring action
• I don't understand why they always talk in WWE, who likes that crap?

My wife, who has been watching Raw with me the past few months had some comments while watching Barely Legal '97:

• This is better than the Monday stuff
• It focuses on the actual in ring action
• I don't understand why they always talk in WWE, who likes that crap?

Well, a good storyline and promo can enhance the audience's investment in the in-ring action. Also, it's a PPV, so you expect the focus to be on matches and the culmination of storylines.

That being said, I started watching Barely Legal last night and it's better than anything the WWE has done in years.

Hasney

Oh good lord, this is just a horrible Raw. Hulk hyping that Brutus was the greatest return of all time and this is just a bad Hogan promo. Getting his buddies that Wrestlemania payday.

I'm going back to ECW until Old School is back or NXT Arrival hits.

Vylash

Ugh just watched Extreme Rules 2012, still a good PPV except for the end where they killed Brock for some dumb reason, gotta keep Cena strong brother

G-Fex

it's so sad they tried to put over Luger and he never was really

HAHA , one of the guys fighting the steiners is Gilberg!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

WWF

• Shawn Michaels vs. Owen Hart (In Your House, February 18, 1996)
  • Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart (WrestleMania XII, March 31, 1996 - WWE Championship/Ironman Match)
  • Shawn Michaels vs. Diesel (IYH: Good Friends, Better Enemies, April 28, 1996 - WWE Championship Match/No Hold Barred)
  • Marc Mero vs. Hunter Hearst Helmsley (IYH: Beware of Dog, May 26, 1996)
  • Savio Vega vs. Steve Austin (IYH: Beware of Dog II, May 28, 1996 - Strap Match)
  • Steve Austin vs. Marc Mero (King of the Ring, June 23, 1996 - KOTR Tournament Semi-Finals)
  • Shawn Michaels vs. Davey Boy Smith (King of the Ring, June 23, 1996 - WWE Title Match)
  • Vader, Owen Hart & Davey Boy Smith vs. Shawn Michaels, Ahmed Johnson & Psycho Sid (IYH: International Incident, July 21, 1996)
  • Shawn Michaels vs. Vader (SummerSlam, August 18, 1996 - WWE Championship Match)
  • Shawn Michaels vs. Mankind (IYH: Mind Games, September 22, 1996 - WWE Championship Match)
  • Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin (Survivor Series, November 17, 1996)
  • Psycho Sid vs. Shawn Michaels (Survivor Series, November 17, 1996 - WWE Championship Match)

WCW
  • Ric Flair vs. Randy Savage (SuperBrawl 6, February 11, 1996 - WCW World Title/Cage Match)
  • Dean Malenko vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. (Great American Bash, June 16, 1996 - WCW Cruiserweight Title Match)
  • Chris Benoit vs. Kevin Sullivan (Great American Bash, June 16, 1996 - Falls Count Anywhere Match)
  • Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Psicosis (Bash At the Beach, July 7, 1996)
  • Chris Benoit vs. Dean Malenko (Hog Wild, August 10, 1996)
  • Chris Benoit vs. Chris Jericho (Fall Brawl, September 15, 1996)
  • Ultimo Dragon vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. (World War III, November 24, 1996)
  • Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Jushin Liger (Starrcade, December 29, 1996)

Keep these handy! Once the Network initial stuff dies down (should be any day) we'll transition to a netflix-style recommendations topic. It'll be great to have!

BFIB

I really, really wanted to hate it after being so bitter after ECW closing, and the way WWE handled the terrible "invasion" angle.

But man, ONS 2005 is a fucking amazing PPV.

Aiii

So not worth it
WELCOME TO A VERY SPECIAL PREDICTION TIME! Where we predict the outcome to the specialest of all special live events since the WWE Network started! Tonight's the night! The night for WWE NXT ArRIVAL!

Only three anounced matches, which kinda sucks, but oh well, they're gonna be two great matches and a Bo Dalles one, so... HERE WE GO!

20140219_article-FULL_NXT-arrival_FEB.jpg

Putting this in here, because DAMNIT KING, THIS IS THE BEST PANEL EVER! I mean, seriously, it's Big Daddy Cool Kevin Nash, with THE BEST THERE EVER WAS (not so much is anymore, I suppose) Brett Hart and the always amazing Paul Heyman. Can't wait to hear these guys give their expert opinion on all this talent. I guess Heyman will have to feed the others some names, because aside from him I don't really see these other guys ever watching NXT, but maybe that's just me.

20140220_NXTDivaChamp_LIGHT_HP.jpg

NXT Women's Championship: Paige (c) vs. Emma
Paige has been Women's champion for as long as the title existed, besting Emma in a women's tournament final, Emma now finally gets a shot to get that title. Of course, many of you know Emma from Raw and are probably very unimpressed. However, trust me when I say you will love her after tonight if you haven't watched NXT before. Both girls are amazing in the ring, with Paige growing up in the business in the UK and the Australian Emma being trained by none other than Lance Storm. These girls don't just know moves, they know ring psychology. Out of the entire NXT roster, these two are amongst the top performers and both are fully ready for main roster debuts. And even better, contrary to main WWE, NXT actually takes women seriously and gives them time to put on great matches. This match could go either way, logic would say Paige retains because Emma got called up to the main roster, but I think the only reason Paige isn't on the main roster yet is because she only just recovered from injury and I expect her debut shortly after Mania. With NXT normally recording every 4 weeks, a main roster talent can still hold and defend their title, as Big E did for a little while as NXT Champion. I think it's time for someone else to hold the belt and with all the eyes on Arrival and Emma struggling by being put in a terrible angle with Santino and her gimmick not translating to main WWE yet I can see WWE give her the win. So Emma becomes the new NXT Women's Champion. Maybe now that NXT is on the Network, they can have Emma carry the title on Raw.

20140210_NXT_SamiCesaro_LIGHT_C.jpg

Two-out-of-three-falls: Sami Zayn vs Cesaro
For the two of you that don't know, Sami Zayn is the former El Generico. He is also by far the best performer in NXT right now. He's charismatic, cuts great promo's and is by far the best wrestler they have there. So naturally, when they paired him up with Cesaro for a two-out-of-three-falls match last year, they had a legit Match of the Year contender out of all matches across all promotions. Really, the match was THAT good. So now they're doing it again and with many more eyeballs. I expect nothing less then FIVE STARS out of this match, both guys will give it everything they got and I'm pretty sure Zayn is going to get over, seeing as Cesaro won the last one and the storyline is Zayn (the babyface) wants to rectify that. Regardless of what happens as far as the outcome is concerned, Zayn will win over many people tonight and I wouldn't be amazed if we see signs on Raw and Smackdown calling for his debut as soon as next monday.

20140221_EP_LIGHT_NXT-arrival-bo-neville_C-homepage.jpg

NXT Championship Ladder Match: Bo Dallas (c) vs. Adrian Neville
Okay, so Bo is a strange beast. Bo isn't a great technical wrestler, he's pretty sub-par. Bo is also the real life brother of Bray Wyatt and son of I.R.S. Bo also isn't great on the mic, he's awkward, wooden and he doesn't connect with the crowd. So when they got around to pushing Bo as he was getting ready to win the title from Big E, the crowd literally turned their backs on the guy. Yes, they actually turned their backs during his matches. And then the strangest thing happened, they turned Bo heel, and he became a happy-go-lucky guy calling his fan BO-LIEVERS and uttering phrases like "They're not booing me, they're chanting BO!" and many more like that. Suddenly Bo was great. Still not the best wrestler, but that character is a good fit. On the other hand we have Adrian Neville, formerly PAC before signing with WWE. Adrian Neville isn't a good looking guy, but he is one of the best high flyers around, impressive all around this guy has great matches left and right and will leave many impressed with his ability. However, I'm not sure I want to see him as NXT Champion. He's great in the ring, but his character and mic work hasn't yet impressed me. I'd rather see Sami Zayn take Bo's title from him somewhere down the line, so Bo Dallas retains the title.

---
Of course, with two hours time, you will see many other people, you'll learn what S-A-W-F-T SAWFT! means, you'll see the beauty that's Tyler Breeze, you'll meet the ultra-mark Bayley, you'll get serenaded by Aiden English and by the end of the night YOU'LL STAY HYPED! It will be great, so enjoy this show and be sure the check out the weekly show from now on.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
NXT Arrival tonight! Who's watching live? I will be!

EDIT: Holy shit Aiii, impeccable timing!

GQman2121

Banned
So how does NXT work? I see Cesaro is heavily featured, but was also at the ppv and then again at Raw. Is there any other crossover between the two brands?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So how does NXT work? I see Cesaro is heavily featured, but was also at the ppv and then again at Raw. Is there any other crossover between the two brands?

It functions kind of in its own universe. Used as a jumping-off point for a lot of those characters when they get called up to Raw. Cesaro is generally the same, however. It's really cool, because it gives them a lot more freedom to flesh their characters out.

Top Bottom