• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

BFIB

So how does NXT work? I see Cesaro is heavily featured, but was also at the ppv and then again at Raw. Is there any other crossover between the two brands?

There's some, but its mainly about the new talent. And its some really great wrestling.

Sblargh

Banned
I'm getting "Media Error: Video Not Available" and google is not helping me very much. Is it something that will fix by itself when Vince pays the electrical bill or is something wrong on my end?

Edit 1: It morphed from that error to buffering and then black screen of nothingness.

Edit 2: I can watch on-demand stuff, but the live thingie is borked.

Vylash

yay! the network is finally fully working for me. How about you guys? Has the chaos subsided?

I watched an entire PPV with no buffering at all, I think the storm is over

Also I'm very excited about Arrival tonight, I've been interested in it for a long time but was unable to watch since Hulu is atrocious, from the few episodes they have up on the network I can certainly see what the hype is all about,hoping they bump NXT up to 90 minutes in the future since I think that's the ideal time for a wrestling program

Downhome

Has it been mentioned that if you look through the upcoming schedule, and find a show on there that isn't up on on-demand yet, that if you click the show it will go ahead and play for you anyway?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Has it been mentioned that if you look through the upcoming schedule, and find a show on there that isn't up on on-demand yet, that if you click the show it will go ahead and play for you anyway?

Some of them yes. You can watch the Stone Cold special early. It's good.

jred2k

So is there a weekly NXT show that airs on TV or is it solely online?

Outside the US it gets played on some TV stations, but in the USA it's exclusively on Hulu. Or was, I think its going to air at a regular time(8:00 PM EST Thursdays) now on the network.

Kaladin

20140210_NXT_SamiCesaro_LIGHT_C.jpg

Two-out-of-three-falls: Sami Zayn vs Cesaro
For the two of you that don't know, Sami Zayn is the former El Generico. He is also by far the best performer in NXT right now. He's charismatic, cuts great promo's and is by far the best wrestler they have there. So naturally, when they paired him up with Cesaro for a two-out-of-three-falls match last year, they had a legit Match of the Year contender out of all matches across all promotions. Really, the match was THAT good. So now they're doing it again and with many more eyeballs. I expect nothing less then FIVE STARS out of this match, both guys will give it everything they got and I'm pretty sure Zayn is going to get over, seeing as Cesaro won the last one and the storyline is Zayn (the babyface) wants to rectify that. Regardless of what happens as far as the outcome is concerned, Zayn will win over many people tonight and I wouldn't be amazed if we see signs on Raw and Smackdown calling for his debut as soon as next monday.

FYI, pretty sure Cesaro vs Zayn is a one fall match now.

Ithil

I now have the mental image of Drax being WWEWHC Champion, Star Lord being unified US/IC champion, Gamora as Diva's champ and Rocket+Groot as Tag champs.

The crowd would be chanting nonstop to have Rocket Raccoon in the main event instead of being in the tag division.

Cesaro appears on NXT because he is there anyway, basically. His girlfriend is the trainer for the ladies down there.

Also, judging by what Triple H said in the NXT conference call, he likes having Cesaro down there to be in matches. Cesaro is pushed as a big deal on NXT, so Triple H is evidently a big fan.

Ithil

If the Zayn/Cesaro match doesn't feature a repeat of the first match's ending, with Cesaro catching Sami during his tornado DDT finish, only for Sami to counter back this time and hit it anyway, I would be very disappointed.

It's such a memorable ending that they simply need to do a call-back in some form during the match.

Hasney

If the Zayn/Cesaro match doesn't feature a repeat of the first match's ending, with Cesaro catching Sami during his tornado DDT finish, only for Sami to counter back this time and hit it anyway, I would be very disappointed.

It's such a memorable ending that they simply need to do a call-back in some form during the match.

Catches him, throws him up for the uppercut, but Sami drops past it for the DDT in mid-air. BIG pop.

turnbuckle

Working a long day today, about to start up SummerSlam 1991. Awww yeah, Match Made in Heaven; Match Made In Hell. Haven't seen this since the PPV. Nostalgia Bomb.

Sblargh

Banned
The crowd would be chanting nonstop to have Rocket Raccoon in the main event instead of being in the tag division.

Also, judging by what Triple H said in the NXT conference call, he likes having Cesaro down there to be in matches. Cesaro is pushed as a big deal on NXT, so Triple H is evidently a big fan.

ro-cket ra-ckoon clap clap clapclapclap

Showaddy

Makes me think Bray Wyatt will be doing something similar in the years to come. The crowd love him and he's got a young family that live in Florida anyway that he'll want to visit.

turnbuckle

And of course, the first match is a 3 on 3 tag match with 50% of the wrestlers dead. "Take a shot for every dead wrestler" would be a quick way of getting drunk with friends while watching this. And depressing. But that's what the alcohol is for.

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
Watching a few WCW ppvs, and boy were they different. The announcers signing off at the end really takes some getting used to, same with Michael Buffer's increasingly over the top introductions for Hulk Hogan. Also, did any WCW ppv ever have a main event with a clean finish?

And as someone who only watched WWF from 98 onward, anyone got any recommendations for pre 98 ppvs I should check out? Same with any WCW/ECW PPVs.

turnbuckle

Watching a few WCW ppvs, and boy were they different. The announcers signing off at the end really takes some getting used to, same with Michael Buffer's increasingly over the top introductions for Hulk Hogan. Also, did any WCW ppv ever have a main event with a clean finish?

And as someone who only watched WWF from 98 onward, anyone got any recommendations for pre 98 ppvs I should check out? Same with any WCW/ECW PPVs.

As a little Hulkamaniac, Wrestlemania VI was something special for me. Otherwise, really, everything from the 80s and early 90s was a must-watch PPV so I can't give a good answer.

krae_man

Wrestlemania 13 for Hart-Austin.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Watching NXT is like watching WCW Saturday Night.

Hasney

I always forget that it was ECW's fault that ICP were introduced to mainstream wrestling. Clearly try to remember the good things.

Also, they REALLY need to get all the weeklys up. I want to see what happened between Barely Legal and Hardcore Heaven for Sabu to become world champ.

WCW SuperBrawl 2 (1992) is a fantastic show. You know why? The guy who was running WCW at the time was a man named Kip Allen Frey. He was only there for a few months before they booted him for whatever reason and replaced him with Bill Watts.

SuperBrawl 2 was the only PPV run under the Frey era. Frey offered a $5,000 bonus to the wrestlers involved in what he thought was the best match of the night. Because of this, EVERYONE is working their fucking ass off and almost every match is great.

strobogo

Banned

For WCW, I'm a big fan of 1991-1994ish for PPVs. There were a ton of really good guys at that time killing it on every show, mixed in with some really awful guys. Just wiki and find names that look familiar on shows. A lot of great tag team wrestling during that time. Vader in his prime. Sting in his prime. Austin and Dustin Rhodes. Barry Windham. Brian Pilman. Dangerous Alliance. It's so good.

I don't WCW had a clean PPV finish from the NWO on.

Lothar

Banned

Canadian Stampede should be at the top of your list.
Then after you watch that,
Wrestlemania X
King of the Ring 1993
King of the Ring 1994
Summerslam 1997
ECW Heatwave 98 and 99

For individual matches worth seeing,
Bret vs Austin from Survivor Series 96 and WM13
Undertaker vs HBK from Bad Blood 97
Mankind vs HBK from Mind Games

okayfrog

Banned
I always forget that it was ECW's fault that ICP were introduced to mainstream wrestling. Clearly try to remember the good things.

I was watching Road Wild '99 last night and in the preview for a match ICP was involved in, they showed one of the dudes doing a moonsault on a Nitro/Thunder. I gotta give it up to him for that.

strobogo

Banned
I was watching Road Wild '99 last night and in the preview for a match ICP was involved in, they showed one of the dudes doing a moonsault on a Nitro/Thunder. I gotta give it up to him for that.

They could do moves, but WCW would book them in actual matches were guys like Rey/Kidman/Eddie would have trouble beating them and it was really stupid.

NoTacos

Bash at the Beach 2000: I understand that the whole Russo/Hogan thing was a shoot gone wrong, but was Jarrett v. Booker at the end never suppose to happen? Booker looked pretty shaken up in the pre match promo and during his entrance to the match.

Ravager61

I watched Wrestlemania 4 last night. The last match with Dibiase and Macho Man was pretty good but most of the matches were terrible. There's something about that late 80s WWF vibe though that I love.

I think I'm going to continue my quest to watch all the Wrestlmania's in order.

abundant

Also, they REALLY need to get all the weeklys up. I want to see what happened between Barely Legal and Hardcore Heaven for Sabu to become world champ.

Hardcore Heaven '97 was plagued by injuries. Sabu was suppose to face the Sandman, but he was injured, so they made a decision to have Terry Funk drop the title to Sabu a week before the PPV in the infamous No Rope Barbed Wire match. The scheduled main event went from Funk vs. Shane Douglas, to the Three Way Dance.

Watched Bash at the Beach 96 last night with zero issues on the PS4
Also watched Survivor Series 96 since I went to that live when I was like 13

Cliffs
-Big Bossman vs Earthquake in a sock on a pole match
-I forgot who the hell The Stalker was. I know Barry Windham, but a gimmick called The Stalker? LULZ
-doug furnas and phil lafon. I totally forgot about those guys. They were actually pretty good and now I remember their small ECW stint.
-Phil Lafon's reverse top rope suplex- You would never see a move like that in current WWE
-Rey Mysterio vs Psycosis. Nice to see Rey in a lucha match. WWE style just doesn't work for him

There is so much content here that I don't know where to begin.

Hex

Banned
Been great today.
I am enjoying NXT, have never watched before.
I will be definitely tuning into the Arrival show tonight.

Top Bottom