• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

Kaladin

World War 3. They're a clusterfuck every time.

Battle Royals are a clusterfuck naturally. When you have that many superstars involved in one, it's going to be a huge clusterfuck, and an even bigger borefest as they brawl through eliminations till a planned spot is scheduled to happen.

The only Battle Royal style match I like is the Royal Rumble because they put some effort into booking spots to break up the battle royal style brawling.

strobogo

Banned
Unscensored my ass!!!
It was probably cut from the tapes they got from WCW, not by them.

I don't think the angle being used missed the injury live and I don't believe it was shown on the PPV at all. It was, however, shown repeatedly and in slow motion the next night on Nitro. I'm pretty sure it was never released on home video, so the version I watched for the review was of a recorded PPV and I don't remember the leg break being shown live.

Hasney

I don't think the angle being used missed the injury live and I don't believe it was shown on the PPV at all. It was, however, shown repeatedly and in slow motion the next night on Nitro. I'm pretty sure it was never released on home video, so the version I watched for the review was of a recorded PPV and I don't remember the leg break being shown live.

Even then, there's so much censorship all over the place. ECW has individual crowd members bleeped for swearing and I wasn't sure what was going on. Thought Bill Alfonso had snuck down to ringside.

Battle Royals are a clusterfuck naturally. When you have that many superstars involved in one, it's going to be a huge clusterfuck, and an even bigger borefest as they brawl through eliminations till a planned spot is scheduled to happen.

The only Battle Royal style match I like is the Royal Rumble because they put some effort into booking spots to break up the battle royal style brawling.

Yeah the Royal Rumble is the only format I can really stomach. WCW's with like their entire roster, people you've never seen before, janitors, all filling all three rings with three splitscreen cameras and nothing happening except the worst mosh pit ever is a pretty poor format.

geomon

Man I could've swore it was on live PPV but everything I found about it points you being right. Get those Nitros up Vince!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah the Royal Rumble is the only format I can really stomach. WCW's with like their entire roster, people you've never seen before, janitors, all filling all three rings with three splitscreen cameras and nothing happening except the worst mosh pit ever is a pretty poor format.

The bummer about those is that all 90 people just file in. I like an entrance, goddammit. I like some MUSIC, goddammit.

pa22word

Oh hey and has anyone else tried watching smackdown #1? When I tried watching it the other day it constantly skipped around like it was an edited reshowing or something.

Jamie OD

It is also a glaring reminder of how big WCW's roster was at the time and how much was wasted in regards to talent AND money.

GQman2121

Banned
Is there a trick to get the website to work? This is what I've been dealing with all week. The Android and PS3 apps are hit and miss, but the website is completely fucked for me.

wwf_networksjeb2.gif

pa22word

Is there a trick to get the website to work? This is what I've been dealing with all week. The Android and PS3 apps are hit and miss, but the website is completely fucked for me.
Ive just had to constantly refresh it until it eventually works. Might be worth saying that it sometimes might take me 90 seconds or more after the rating warning airs before the video will play.

krae_man

WWE should have done a World War 3 PPV while ECW was still around. 3 brands, 3 rings.

They also should have had Edge win his rumble by having everyone else eliminated before his number was drawn.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
WWE should have done a World War 3 PPV while ECW was still around. 3 brands, 3 rings.

They also should have had Edge win his rumble by having everyone else eliminated before his number was drawn.

Someday they'll do that Rumble gimmick. Someday.

krae_man

Someday they'll do that Rumble gimmick. Someday.

Yeah but Edge was the perfect person to do it. The combination of him being a surprise entrant and the "ultimate opportunist" gimmick fits that idea perfectly. They didn't need to tease Jericho-Edge during the rumble since the feud couldn't even start until Jericho won the Elimination Chamber match 3 weeks later.

Son Of D

lol surprised they didn't try that yet that would have been funny

When I heard that Taker won the 2007 Rumble, I couldn't help but imagine the lights going out as they do for Taker's entrance, then when they come back on he's standing in the ring and everyone else is outside, eliminated by Taker.

Thankfully it played out better than that.

okayfrog

Banned
I still can't get over the fact that one can't skip to Chris Benoit matches in videos. Cracks me up every time I start up a PPV, look at the scene selection and see a big long gap. "Boy, I wonder who can be there!"

geomon

Just watched WCW Mayhem '99 for one reason and one reason only, to watch the man, the myth, the legend, Screamin' Norman Smiley become the first ever WCW Hardcore Champion.

Hasney

lol @ the piped in crowd while New Jacks dubbed music comes out. It is just the Smackdown cheers so it dounds like a massive crowd.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched WCW Mayhem '99 for one reason and one reason only, to watch the man, the myth, the legend, Screamin' Norman Smiley become the first ever WCW Hardcore Champion.

Smiley is amazing. Great technical wrestler too, away from the comedy stuff.

ibaTeHI5DrwIkF.gif

I really want to know if I can watch the WCW show.event where they had the dumbass battle royal in the junkyard and half the roster got hurt. I can't remember which one that was?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What are good ecw ppvs? Had my fill of wwe at the moment and thought I'd try something on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Heatwaves are fun.

I really want to know if I can watch the WCW show.event where they had the dumbass battle royal in the junkyard and half the roster got hurt. I can't remember which one that was?

Oh jesus you're looking for the Hardcore Invitational Match - 1999 Bash at the Beach I think

pa22word

Start with Barely Legal '97. It's a fantastic PPV, especially considering it's their first.
Is it the full version? I've heard that the original cut ended prematurely due to time mismanagement by heyman, or something. Maybe that was a different ppv though...

Sblargh

Banned
Every video I tried, including the one currently playing on the live stream, has worked perfectly, but for the life of me I can't get the actual live stream to work. It's either a black screen of nothing or the buffering rotating thing that never loads.

I really don't want to miss NXT. :(

Hasney

Is it the full version? I've heard that the original cut ended prematurely due to time mismanagement by heyman, or something. Maybe that was a different ppv though...

It is full, think it aired in full originally as well. On the ECW DVD that WWE put out, Heyman said the power to the entire building went out just after they finished. Don't remember anything about it being cut for time.

The bummer about those is that all 90 people just file in. I like an entrance, goddammit. I like some MUSIC, goddammit.

Thats why Rumbles>>>Battle Royals. When there are too many people in there at once it just gets too crazy and nothing happens. The suspense on who comes out next is also lost.

strobogo

Banned
What's the easiest way to make a gif from the network?

What I've been doing is doing it in GifCam, then bringing up the gif in whatever browser and shrink the page, then use GifCam on that. You can shrink in GifCam directly, but it cuts off parts of the screen. And if they need to be slowed down/sped up, I use ezgif.com. I've had pretty good results. You can stretch the borders to the entire size of the screen if you want. Some gifs turn up super slow, and some turn up super fast. I haven't been able to figure out why yet.

galvatron

Watched Beach Blast '92 last night. Steamboat vs Rude was hype and I don't think I've ever seen a tag match with as much mat wrestling as the main event with Steiners vs Dr. Death and Bam Bam Gordy... 30 minutes each and killing it.

Crazy to get reminded that selling an injury or working a body part used to just be standard.

ultrazilla

Guys, is there a device limit for your membership? I have it on my computer,
iPod touch 5th gen, PS4 and Xbox 360. Problem is that I cannot get the 360 or
PS 4 apps working. Is it because I'm signed into my computer and iPod touch devices?
Thanks!

Top Bottom