• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

GQman2121

Banned
I honestly struggle saying WWE. The E sounds so foreign to me. Shame they couldn't work something out with the World Wildlife Fund because the F really does roll of the tongue much easier.

I honestly struggle saying WWE. The E sounds so foreign to me. Shame they couldn't work something out with the World Wildlife Fund because the F really does roll of the tongue much easier.

They did have a deal with WWF, but Vince being Vince they broke the terms so often and so blatantly they left WWF little choice but to sue.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
The Network has been working flawlessly for me the past couple days on PS4, even at prime time. Watching Wrestlemania 19 right now and my god, that was a fantastic card top to bottom! I'd forgotten about Booker T vs. Triple H that night, but that was probably the best match I've seen out of Triple H in recent memory and Booker T was in classic form.
HHH, the racist bully, winning that match while King spouts racist bullshit was the biggest "wut" moment of my wrestling career.

Ultimo hits the giant swing!
ibfR3UXAfVfLMr.gif

After the match Mean Gene announces the new WCW website. It is incredible.

My favorite part of this match is the finish with the slingshot sitout powerbomb - it's glorious and Batista should use it as a finish once.

Trevelyon

Using hidemyass to access the network then disconnecting immediately when my on-demand content has started to play (switching back to local ip) seems to be the sweet spot for getting flawless international playback. Hog Wild, Fall Brawl, Halloween Havoc and Starrcade 1996 all no buffers, except the Michaeal kind. yuck yuck.

iMax

I really love the new version of that that they use for oldschool raws.
jpNI5FiojHj9m.png

This should be the logo they use for EVERYTHING. It just looks so much better than the scratch and network logo.

The reason they use it for old school is because it doesn't make sense for today.

Aiii

So not worth it
Using hidemyass to access the network then disconnecting immediately when my on-demand content has started to play (switching back to local ip) seems to be the sweet spot for getting flawless international playback. Hog Wild, Fall Brawl, Halloween Havoc and Starrcade 1996 all no buffers, except the Michaeal kind. yuck yuck.
Network has been fine for days, I don't think your process is helping you at all, it's probably just the issues being pretty much over. :)

Trevelyon

Network has been fine for days, I don't think your process is helping you at all, it's probably just the issues being pretty much over. :)

Uh, you misunderstand. As a international subscriber, using a spoof IP or virtual server to stream content has inherent speed constraints depending on how far your spoof IP is from your physical location. If you dump your spoof as soon as that geograph handshake is made, you can continue streaming the content with your local IP, getting the best speeds possible without being locked out of content.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm Dutch, so yeah.

I suppose some of the free services are rather shitty, I'll give you that. That is why I'll gladly pay for unblock-us so I don't need to put up with stuff like what you're having to do, apparently.

Jamie OD

Watched December To Dismember because I wanted to find a legendary bad show to watch for the first time. Despite the short run time it was still led to one of the longest 90 minutes of my life. Hardys Vs MNM was very good but everything after it was crap.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Whelp GAF, you put me in an arm bar and I was unable to escape... just signed up :) Really didn't have a way to watch the PPVs before as I have no cable and I love the OTs for the various PPVs while they air, y'all are hilarious! Now I can participate (not likely with my pitiful posting habits lol).

Really excited to revisit some of my favorite shit from years past. And force my kid to watch Hogan and Warrior and Macho Man over and over :p

Welcome brah. Looking forward to seeing what you enjoy and don't now.

adj_noun

The Network has been working flawlessly for me the past couple days on PS4, even at prime time. Watching Wrestlemania 19 right now and my god, that was a fantastic card top to bottom! I'd forgotten about Booker T vs. Triple H that night, but that was probably the best match I've seen out of Triple H in recent memory and Booker T was in classic form.

I was there for that one. The crowd kinda deflated when Booker lost.

My main memories are Jericho/Michaels and seeing Brock almost kill himself. Oh, and watching Spike Dudley balance on an upper railing before the show and wave to the crowd. That was kinda unnerving.

Oh, we also got to make fun of Fred Durst. Not many opportunities to do that.

Aiii

So not worth it
I miss the days when Rey wasn't skinny fat, didn't have 7000 tattoos, and wrestled with other cruiserweights.
The tattoo issue is one that plagues many wrestlers. They look fine and pretty badass with one or two cool looking tattoos and then they go overboard and tattoo every part of their body. Batista never had good tattoos to begin with, but now he looks like a carnaval freak when he's face down on the mat and they show his back.

Orton is another good example of this, as is CM Punk after he got his chest tattoo.

Stupid!

The tattoo issue is one that plagues many wrestlers. They look fine and pretty badass with one or two cool looking tattoos and then they go overboard and tattoo every part of their body. Batista never had good tattoos to begin with, but now he looks like a carnaval freak when he's face down on the mat and they show his back.

Orton is another good example of this, as is CM Punk after he got his chest tattoo.

Stupid!
Orton looks way better with his tribal shit mostly gone, and Punk looks way better without random nerdy tattoos peppered all over him.

The people who look awful now are Jericho and Santino. Batista's colorful stars down his side are hilariously bad.

Revisiting the 91 Royal Rumble

Cliffs
-Warrior vs Slaughter was in the mid card
-Did not remember Dustin Rhodes ever being in the WWF
-Is that Tony Atlus dressed as an Indian?

Why was Hogan in the 1990 Rumble when he was champ? I don't think his title was on the line if he lost.

krae_man

Orton looks way better with his tribal shit mostly gone, and Punk looks way better without random nerdy tattoos peppered all over him.

The people who look awful now are Jericho and Santino. Batista's colorful stars down his side are hilariously bad.

Bonus points for Jericho since he made fun of Michael Coles shitty tattoos.

Zach

Why was Hogan in the 1990 Rumble when he was champ? I don't think his title was on the line if he lost.

I remember hearing in the OSW Review that Mr. Perfect was supposed to win that Rumble but at the last second Hogan was like "nah." Haha. What a dick.

strobogo

Banned
Going from nothing but WCW for a while to a WWF PPV makes the WWF rings look gigantic.

I believe the WWE ring has always had 4 extra feet than the NWA/WCW/ECW ring. I think WCW rings were 18 x 20 and WWE rings are 20 x 24. I think. WCW occasionally used an even smaller one when in really small venues.

Revisiting the 91 Royal Rumble

Cliffs
-Warrior vs Slaughter was in the mid card
-Did not remember Dustin Rhodes ever being in the WWF
-Is that Tony Atlus dressed as an Indian?

Dustin started his national career in the WWF with Dusty, but left when Dusty went back to WCW. It is indeed Tony Atlas and Piper immediately called him/WWF out on the gimmick, which is ironic coming from Piper since he had ton so much racist shit in the 80s everywhere he went.

Wasn't the Rumble just something they did for shits & giggles before they added the title shot in '93?

Wasn't exactly for shits and giggles. It was a big deal to win it, but it wasn't made an automatic WM title shot until 1993. Hulk won while champion in 1990.

Wasn't exactly for shits and giggles. It was a big deal to win it, but it wasn't made an automatic WM title shot until 1993. Hulk won while champion in 1990.

The Rumble always brought out the worst in Hulk. The one where he drags Sid out after being eliminated, while the crowd boos the shit out of him, is a particular highlight.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I also recently watched that particular WW3 that Queen of Thorns giffed. Pretty good show besides the titular match.

been watching a bunch of Mike Awesome matches. dude was legit, 300 pound dude diving high and powerbombing guys. I like that. It's too bad they never did much with him in WWE

I demand everyone watch the 92 Rumble so you can all hear Bobby "The Brain" Hennen do the greatest announcing job of all time! Him losing his shit rooting for Flair for over an hour is fantastic.

BigDug13

I believe the WWE ring has always had 4 extra feet than the NWA/WCW/ECW ring. I think WCW rings were 18 x 20 and WWE rings are 20 x 24. I think. WCW occasionally used an even smaller one when in really small venues.

Dustin started his national career in the WWF with Dusty, but left when Dusty went back to WCW. It is indeed Tony Atlas and Piper immediately called him/WWF out on the gimmick, which is ironic coming from Piper since he had ton so much racist shit in the 80s everywhere he went.

It seems like the NXT uses the smaller ring as well? It seems a little smaller when I'm watching it.

Hasney

been watching a bunch of Mike Awesome matches. dude was legit, 300 pound dude diving high and powerbombing guys. I like that. It's too bad they never did much with him in WWE

Totally agree. Just watched his first ECW PPV against Tanaka and I love their matches so much.

styl3s

He was legit at nearly killing dudes, fuck that guy.
He was that reckless? I have no real recollection of him outside a very few ECW matches since they didn't carry the ppvs or show here and his horribly shitty WCW run and the even worse ambulance match between DDP.

I demand everyone watch the 92 Rumble so you can all hear Bobby "The Brain" Hennen do the greatest announcing job of all time! Him losing his shit rooting for Flair for over an hour is fantastic.
I will only do this because i am semi drunk and and depressed that the Triple H vs Stone Cold 3 stages of hell match was not as good as i remembered.

I need some hype right now.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

THATS NOT FAIR TO FLAIR!

x50000

Heenan's commentary on the Flair vs Perfect Loser Leaves Town match was also fantastic, A+ work. Bobby and Vince were going bananas for that match.

Edgeward

Search still needs to show more results and filter out finishes to matches. Looking for a match and seeing the finish is annoying,

WWE uses a 20x20 ring. WCW and ECW used 18x18 as do most other feds. You'll see an occasional 16x16 on the indies but not to often.

Totally forgot about the finish to Rock vs HHH in the main event of the 1st Smackdown - that HBK superkick just before Rocky hit the people's elbow was so awesome. I got worked, lol.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
New Jack is probably the scariest wrestler i've ever seen. I would never taunt the guy at a live show!

Man I loved the shit he did. Check this promo out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KW5kj_6jSU

The Gangstas were great. Tapped into white peoples' fears. 3:28 is when people start getting a little agitated.

Totally forgot about the finish to Rock vs HHH in the main event of the 1st Smackdown - that HBK superkick just before Rocky hit the people's elbow was so awesome. I got worked, lol.

Watched it earlier on the Network, it was beautiful. Slipped RIGHT in there, perfect. It was a great kick.

He was that reckless? I have no real recollection of him outside a very few ECW matches since they didn't carry the ppvs or show here and his horribly shitty WCW run and the even worse ambulance match between DDP.
from what i've seen, probably. some chair shots to the head in his matches, usually exchanged though. figured it was just a general ECW thing so i didn't think much of it aside from "damn ecw is dangerous"

There's also the Awesome Bomb on the bus that sent one of the ICP guys sliding right off of it. Not really Awesome's fault, but still amusingly terrifying.

Top Bottom