• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

Ripclawe

Banned
Man I loved the shit he did. Check this promo out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KW5kj_6jSU

The Gangstas were great. Tapped into white peoples' fears. 3:28 is when people start getting a little agitated.

Watched it earlier on the Network, it was beautiful. Slipped RIGHT in there, perfect. It was a great kick.

"I GOT A COLLEGE EDUCATION AND A CRIMINAL RECORD!"

yeah, new jack is legit crazy and top 10 wrestlers you never fuck with..

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
New Jack also tried to for real murder that one dude in a spot. Fucking chilling shit, that.

I demand everyone watch the 92 Rumble so you can all hear Bobby "The Brain" Hennen do the greatest announcing job of all time! Him losing his shit rooting for Flair for over an hour is fantastic.

I've put that match on so, so, so many times since I got the '03 Flair set. Perfect thing to put in and set the sleep timer to. I have the order the guys come out memorized o_o

There's also the Awesome Bomb on the bus that sent one of the ICP guys sliding right off of it. Not really Awesome's fault, but still amusingly terrifying.
lol icp
546546-o.gif

it looks like he tried to save him too

Ripclawe

Banned
Watching Beyond the Ring with Steve Austin and never knew that Owen didn't call Austin after spiking him in the ring. No wonder he was bitter towards him. Worse is Bret saying Owen forgot.

styl3s

New Jack is probably the scariest wrestler i've ever seen. I would never taunt the guy at a live show!
I don't know how that guy isn't in prison.

From the stuff i have seen and the news and stories i have heard, the dude is a straight up piece of fucking shit.

Striker

I demand everyone watch the 92 Rumble so you can all hear Bobby "The Brain" Hennen do the greatest announcing job of all time! Him losing his shit rooting for Flair for over an hour is fantastic.
That's why I always tend to go back and watch those PPV's or programs from that time. Heenan was one of a kind - he and Monsoon were such an awesome duo.

Going through the '90 GAB now after having it get all iffy a couple days ago. Got through to Race-Rich and good lord, as slow as Race was in the AWA, he's even slower now. He's got a bigger singlet than even then. I do love Ross explaining the crown as being due to Race being a fan of the Sacramento Kings. HARLEY WINS!? Well that just seems odd. YES! MX VS. THE SOUTHERN BOYS! And of course it glitches out.

OH MY GOD, WRESTLE WAR '90 HAS A RAP SONG OPENING IT. With a wacky '80s Casio keyboard riff! And Terry Funk has a giant earring! TERRY FUNK HAS AN EAR PIERCING. Mind=blown. Holy Jesus, Buzz Sawyer got owned by the road. He went from looking like Festus in '84 to Festus's daddy in half a decade. Ace's mullet is amazing. Buzz's selling is wacky. Not making use of the "great amateur skills" here. Sullivan and his neon green glasses-holder are chopping the hell out of Shane. Sullivan and Sawyer as a pair of middle-aged looking balding crazy guys rules. Shoulder to the ROO'S POST. Nowadays, it would be near the National Guard Prep Point. Sawyer is a ton of fun to watch here even if he's well...not a great guy, kind of a horrible person, and looks to have just showered after a year of homelessness. I do love that even in this state, every single thing he does is different. A suplex has a unique look to it, gutwrench has a big snap on it. Sawyer checks Shane's oil...while biting his ribs. Okay then.

The ground bearhug looks odd, and shows off the weird WCW logo here - it's the same basic logo, but with the lower part of the C hacked off a ton. It looks more like a C than an O, but looks odd to the eye. "The wrestlers have a ten count if they haven't been, um, molested by that point". Jim Ross has had many strange calls so far, and that's easily the weirdest one. Terry Funk, here in 1990, is talking about being glad he's retired. Sullivan took a dropkick to the side and went through the ropes about as fast as if he was walking through them. The ring apron is massive here - I wonder if they used a bigger ring than usual for this show. Sawyer's superfly dive won. Norman the Lunatic is backstage macking on Missy Hyatt. HOLY GOD MISSY HYATT WAS UNBELIEVABLY HOT. And Mick Foley gained a ton of weight between '90 and '92. More horrible ROH-level lighting for the stage here. Terry suggested that Norman put the propeller hat on JR. I'm shocked Vince didn't do that at some point. And...it glitches out again and sends me to the main menu. Oh well.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also, some Network edits:

A breakdown on edits of PPV events on the WWE Network that I've discovered:

WWE's 1997 UK PPV (One Night Only) is the edited home video version that WWE released towards the end of '97 and cut down to 2 hours. It omits 3 matches, including the Bret Hart vs. Undertaker match that WWE mentions in the description underneath the video player. This is very strange because in 2012, the full 3-hour show was aired on the Classics On Demand channel.

New Jack's matches on ECW PPVs have been edited out (with the lone exception of his bout with Mustafa at Living Dangerously 1999). His return to ECW at Heat Wave 1999 (running in and attacking the Dudleys) has also been removed. His run-ins into other wrestlers' matches on other ECW PPVs are still intact....at least for now.

The Network's airings of The Big Event 1986, King of the Ring 1993-1997, SummerSlam 1995-1997, and several In Your Houses are all taken from the Coliseum Video releases rather than the live versions.

WCW Bash at the Beach 1996 is WCW's home video release that omits footage of a fan run-in after Hulk Hogan's heel turn. Whenever WWE has put that match on a WWE Home Video release, the fan run-in has been included, so they are in possession of the live PPV version.

WCW Halloween Havoc 1990 is the Turner Home Entertainment home video release that was reduced from 3 hours to 2.

Most of the WCW theme music that Jimmy Hart wrote is included on the WCW PPVs(Wolfpac, 3 Count, Disco Inferno). However, some of Hart's other WCW music has been edited out and replaced (DDP's "Self High Five" theme, Shane Douglas's 2000-01 theme). This makes very little sense because WWE did not do this to any of Hart's WCW music when WCW footage aired on Classics On Demand.

On SummerSlam 1991, the song "Together" (written by Jim Johnston and Jimmy Hart) during the Randy Savage and Elizabeth video before their wedding has been replaced by different music. So believe it or not, WWE dubbed over one of their own, in-house songs.

Several shows still have "WWF" references edited out even though that was supposed to be a non-issue after 2012.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
And here's yet another app that doesn't use the CEC on the PS4 which is the only option for a media remote as far as I know for the PS4. The app works great otherwise, but I hope they can add CEC support eventually, or for Sony to just release an official remote so that there's some solution that's better than using the ps4 controller.

Anyhow as a casual fan, it's really hard to tell where to start with all this content. I don't know how you guys know which ppv to watch.

I guess I'll just pick some random ppv in the early 90s and keep going until I pinpoint the exact moment the WWE jumped the shark.

okayfrog

Banned
I like how they break kayfabe on Beyond the Ring. I mean, I don't want them to break kayfabe all the time, but I also dislike interviews they have with people where they try to dance around what really happened with kayfabe. Watchin' the Stone Cold Beyond the Ring right now.

As for the Network as a whole, I still really want Newjack's music. It's not gonna happen, and it's gonna bother me. However, I'll still be down when they get all the Nitro's and Thunder's up. I went through the WCW title reigns and saw that there were like 30 between 1999 and 2001 with most of them taking place on the weekly shows. I wanna go through all that shitty WCW.

Hasney

And here's yet another app that doesn't use the CEC on the PS4 which is the only option for a media remote as far as I know for the PS4. The app works great otherwise, but I hope they can add CEC support eventually, or for Sony to just release an official remote so that there's some solution that's better than using the ps4 controller.

Anyhow as a casual fan, it's really hard to tell where to start with all this content. I don't know how you guys know which ppv to watch.

I guess I'll just pick some random ppv in the early 90s and keep going until I pinpoint the exact moment the WWE jumped the shark.

1993 was when it got quite shit. Didn't recover for a good while either although there were good matches here and there still.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I like how they break kayfabe on Beyond the Ring. I mean, I don't want them to break kayfabe all the time, but I also dislike interviews they have with people where they try to dance around what really happened with kayfabe. Watchin' the Stone Cold Beyond the Ring right now.

As for the Network as a whole, I still really want Newjack's music. It's not gonna happen, and it's gonna bother me. However, I'll still be down when they get all the Nitro's and Thunder's up. I went through the WCW title reigns and saw that there were like 30 between 1999 and 2001 with most of them taking place on the weekly shows. I wanna go through all that shitty WCW.

Strobogo did, if you want to single out shows, he took the lumps and giffed the pain.

http://legitshook.com - check out the WCW pages. We even have a search.

Babalu.

damn i haven't watched wrestling since the attitude era and i have no interest in watching wrestling anymore, even the old stuff or no interest in this new channel.

But i love seeing wrestling gifs and thank god for this new channel and thread because i want more gifs!

that guy falling off the bus is crazy haha.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Watched Summer Slam '94 today. Pretty decent show! Seems like Paige might be a Bull Nakano fan.

strobogo

Banned
He was that reckless? I have no real recollection of him outside a very few ECW matches since they didn't carry the ppvs or show here and his horribly shitty WCW run and the even worse ambulance match between DDP.

I will only do this because i am semi drunk and and depressed that the Triple H vs Stone Cold 3 stages of hell match was not as good as i remembered.

I need some hype right now.

He was super unsafe because running, throwing powerbombs are unsafe by nature. He injured a lot of guys in ECW and WCW. Sheamus dropped doing the running Razor's Edge for the same reason. It's hard for guys to take a safe landing without bouncing their head around. But he was also exceptionally reckless when chucking guys over the ropes for an Awesome Bomb. He rarely even tried to send them down safely.

Recall

Yet when Awesome worked Japan he did well for himself. I don't remember reading about anyone being hurt in ECW by his hands and He proved with Tanaka he was able to take what he dished out.

Anyway hearing about how some of the shows have been edited is a little jarring. Different music, no real problem. Removing nudity, sure that makes sense. But using the shorter releases or omitting matches, not cool.

WWE doesn't have much of a choice with the matches being removed - if the only master quality-copy they were given with the WCW sale was the Turner Home Video version, then it's going to be the one used.

strobogo

Banned
WWE doesn't have much of a choice with the matches being removed - if the only master quality-copy they were given with the WCW sale was the Turner Home Video version, then it's going to be the one used.

Yeah, same with ECW footage. But to use home releases on their own footage is kind of weird. I'm pretty sure ECW PPVs were edited for home video release, which is probably what is used for Network stuff.

Recall

Yeah, same with ECW footage. But to use home releases on their own footage is kind of weird. I'm pretty sure ECW PPVs were edited for home video release, which is probably what is used for Network stuff.

Owning all the released VHS for ECW and the official hard cased PPV tapes there was no omitting on them. The official tapes showed the PPV in full, including New Jack craziness.

Super Brawl I features the debut of Oz. I've seen this gimmick before, but never this exact skit...wow was it even worse. There's an extended skit, not backstage, BUT ON THE RAMP, with Dorothy, the Scarescrow, the Tin Man, and the Cowardly Lion talking TO OZ. It's also got the debut of the Diamond Studd. Toothpick, curl...yeah WWF had no real claim on that for the lawsuit. Sid's out for a stretcher match with El Gigante...urge to fast forward rising...Eh, it's only two minutes. Terrible match, and of course the stretcher match ends by pinfall, or submission, or something based on the clawhold slam. The fans AND JIM ROSS are singing the goodbye song to Sid. YAY DOOM CAGE MATCH. I've only seen clips of this on Megaslams before. Digging Ron's RS lightning bolt gear - it's nice to see tome outfits on an early '90s show that don't reek of early '90s. Pretty fun match. Ron bleeds, which he almost never did, and won a solid match with a snap powerslam.

Hype vid for the Luger/Sting-Steiners tag title match. The music for this is beautiful and makes this seem like a big deal. Luger's got the revamped U.S. title design that Rude and Sting fought over that they later expanded in '93. The same basic design, but it looked a bit more important - there's less depth on the faceplate of the bigger one though. Scott Steiner's tights are entirely too tight - like Flanders's snowsuit. LOVE Rick bouncing off of Luger and doing a mid-air flip off of a simple shoulder block. This is a great match...until Luger hits a thing resembling a Russian Legsweep. The fucking Sandman's looked better. STING WINS A TOMBSTONE REVERSAL BATTLE! Nikita Koloff runs down and KOs Sting with the sickle. Steiners win and Luger's pissed. Now Sting and Nikita are brawling outside. Arn's out as TV champ. Wow, they were still using the silver and red belt in '91 - although I think Austin might've actually had this one and then transitioned into the newer one. ROCKET LAUNCHER FROM ARN TO BOBBY ON THE FUCKING RAMP OH MY FUCKING GOD YES! AA spinebuster gets 2! Arn sells a swinging neckbreaker perfectly. Alabama Jam hits despite Barry trying to get involved. THE CROWD GOES CRAZY! Fujinami's robe is amazing. CHOP TO THE BACK FROM FLAIR! The fucking state of Fujinami's chest here. Ref bump to Tiger Hattori leads to a schoolboy with the tights and a fast count from Fonzie. BULLSHIT.

Super Brawl I features the debut of Oz. I've seen this gimmick before, but never this exact skit...wow was it even worse. There's an extended skit, not backstage, BUT ON THE RAMP, with Dorothy, the Scarescrow, the Tin Man, and the Cowardly Lion talking TO OZ.

This sounds amazing. I think I've seen just a gif or very short clip of Oz before, but I'll need to take a look at this when I'm bored and on the Network.

There's at least one New Jack match on there from what i can tell. there's one against Mustafa, and then i think some other tag team ones
Edit: oh wait, never mind, i saw that up in the original post

also lolwut
BgttEEDIgAAglcn.jpg

Why? Because he stabbed a guy in the ring fourteen times and almost went to jail for murder. And, unlike the Benoit situation, New Jack doesn't matter enough to the history of the company to brush aside the things he did.

No, I know that, but do you think that's really why they edited him off WWE Network broadcasts?

Edit: Oh, duh, it's because of his music, isn't it? Didn't it always play throughout his appearances?

No, I know that, but do you think that's really why they edited him off WWE Network broadcasts?

Edit: Oh, duh, it's because of his music, isn't it? Didn't it always play throughout his appearances?

Oh, why they took him off? Yeah, probably the music, I thought you meant why most think he's an asshole.

I assume it's because they don't want to pay to use Natural Born Killaz.

You edited just as I replied. So yeah. It isn't like he's Stone Cold, so I doubt it's worth the licensing costs.

All the ECW stuff on WWE 24/7 had New Jack's Natural Born Killaz stuff dubbed over with generic rap music. So it makes no sense that he's suddenly off everything.

i watched that Taboo Tuesday Matt Hardy/Rey vs. Snitsky/Chris Masters match that stro kept saying was good and huh, it was actually pretty good! Crowd was crazy hot for what would normally be a Raw tag match

strobogo

Banned
i watched that Taboo Tuesday Matt Hardy/Rey vs. Snitsky/Chris Masters match that stro kept saying was good and huh, it was actually pretty good! Crowd was crazy hot for what would normally be a Raw tag match

One of the most surprising "wtf, why is this so good?" matches I've seen of all the wrasslin I've watched over the past 2-3 years. Especially when you consider how bad Snitsky was and how green Masters was.

Watched The Black Scorpion vs. Sting from Starrcade '90 last night. Goddamn what a trainwreck. Watching Ric Flair try to work as not Ric Flair is a disaster. Flair did a good job though trying to conceal who he was. He was not making any verbal grunts or noise, which Paul Heyman pointed out on commentary. It was obviously Flair when the first mask came off. And Dick The Bruiser is a HORRIBLE referee.

If I recall correctly, Flair won the title back from Sting two weeks after this show.

Anth0ny

Also, some Network edits:

A breakdown on edits of PPV events on the WWE Network that I've discovered:

WWE's 1997 UK PPV (One Night Only) is the edited home video version that WWE released towards the end of '97 and cut down to 2 hours. It omits 3 matches, including the Bret Hart vs. Undertaker match that WWE mentions in the description underneath the video player. This is very strange because in 2012, the full 3-hour show was aired on the Classics On Demand channel.

New Jack's matches on ECW PPVs have been edited out (with the lone exception of his bout with Mustafa at Living Dangerously 1999). His return to ECW at Heat Wave 1999 (running in and attacking the Dudleys) has also been removed. His run-ins into other wrestlers' matches on other ECW PPVs are still intact....at least for now.

The Network's airings of The Big Event 1986, King of the Ring 1993-1997, SummerSlam 1995-1997, and several In Your Houses are all taken from the Coliseum Video releases rather than the live versions.

WCW Bash at the Beach 1996 is WCW's home video release that omits footage of a fan run-in after Hulk Hogan's heel turn. Whenever WWE has put that match on a WWE Home Video release, the fan run-in has been included, so they are in possession of the live PPV version.

WCW Halloween Havoc 1990 is the Turner Home Entertainment home video release that was reduced from 3 hours to 2.

Most of the WCW theme music that Jimmy Hart wrote is included on the WCW PPVs(Wolfpac, 3 Count, Disco Inferno). However, some of Hart's other WCW music has been edited out and replaced (DDP's "Self High Five" theme, Shane Douglas's 2000-01 theme). This makes very little sense because WWE did not do this to any of Hart's WCW music when WCW footage aired on Classics On Demand.

On SummerSlam 1991, the song "Together" (written by Jim Johnston and Jimmy Hart) during the Randy Savage and Elizabeth video before their wedding has been replaced by different music. So believe it or not, WWE dubbed over one of their own, in-house songs.

Several shows still have "WWF" references edited out even though that was supposed to be a non-issue after 2012.

Also, Summerslam 1998 is the edited version with no Highway to Hell theme music. Expected.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
JR's commentary during HBK vs McMahon at WM22 is so hilarious.

And got dayum at Vince taking the ladder to the head straight up, no hands or a bump to preempt the contact.

Top Bottom