• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

geomon

There's so much content. I don't know where to start. I haven't watched wrestling in over ten years.

I have some good news and I have some bad news. The bad news is, you missed a lot of amazing shit. The good news, you can catch up on all of that and even more good news, skip all of the horrid shit the rest of us went through already. It's a win/win.

RobbieNick

I was out of wrestling for over a year. Only got back in last month. So much new talent and many of them are pretty damn good.

Does it bother anyone else that Wyatt is always shown with a propane fire lit lantern back stage, then when he comes out to the ring, it's obviously LED?

gunstarhero

I was out of wrestling for over a year. Only got back in last month. So much new talent and many of them are pretty damn good.

Does it bother anyone else that Wyatt is always shown with a propane fire lit lantern back stage, then when he comes out to the ring, it's obviously LED?

Ssshhh - you're breaking the illusion!

is the network working on the xbox yet?

It works in that you can finally log in, but if you try to find something to watch it's completely busted. I'm watching the PPVs in order and I went to Royal Rumble 2000 to keep going and it said "no videos found." UGH. It works SO good for me on my PC and PS3 too. SMFH at whoever is in charge of the 360 app.

Just a few quick notes:

-Stephanie McMahon was really hot back in the day and is still hot now

-There are no current superstars that are even close to the superstars of the past(my opinion)

-King Booker was one of the greatest characters that got buried. I really liked how he and Sharmell would be in character and then go "hood" when something wrong was said.

-I can't wait to watch more old Raw and Smackdown shows

-Currently, the WWE Network, is the best $9.99 I have spent.

Side note-Does anyone else hate the banner at the bottom? I hope they give us the option to disable it.

Just a few quick notes:

-Stephanie McMahon was really hot back in the day and is still hot now

-There are no current superstars that are even close to the superstars of the past(my opinion)

-King Booker was one of the greatest characters that got buried. I really liked how he and Sharmell would be in character and then go "hood" when something wrong was said.

-I can't wait to watch more old Raw and Smackdown shows

-Currently, the WWE Network, is the best $9.99 I have spent.

Side note-Does anyone else hate the banner at the bottom? I hope they give us the option to disable it.

The Shield are F'n great. Give them a year or two more and they'll be right up there imo. As singles stars even.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
WCW Superbrawl 3 - Cactus Jack v Mr Wonderful 1993

How in the world did Mick Foley survive to wrestle as long as he did, given how reckless he was with himself? You'd think he'd be wheelchair bound within just one year.

Downhome

I just flipped on the live stream. Is this Lawler match with Jim Powers his WWE in ring debut?

EDIT:

Yep, it was, they said it on commentary.

And now they are showing a Piper's Pit where Junkyard Dog was supposed to be the guest but Salvatore Bellomo comes down instead. It has Piper shocked that Salvatore is friends with Junkyard since their skin wasn't the same color, Piper calling him a " dumb wap", and so much trash being thrown in the ring. Wow.

Oh, and here it is on Youtube...

http://youtu.be/e07zz2kUcvQ?t=5m14s

Seeing it on the WWE Network then seeing that horrible quality on YouTube really goes a long way to show just how great this WWE Network is in terms of the quality. Amazing.

My daughter is five. She's already learned how to turn on the TV, the PS3, go to the WWE Network, and find the Royal Rumble. The only thing she can't do yet is seek to the actual Royal Rumble match.

For some reason Royal Rumble matches are the only thing she cares about. When we watch Raw, she comes in the room and says, "is this a Royal Rumble?" and we say no and she wanders off. If she does watch some Raw with us and anybody goes out of the ring, she was letting us know that he's been eliminated. She maybe understands now that it doesn't work that way in a non-Rumble match, but she also probably doesn't care.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My daughter is five. She's already learned how to turn on the TV, the PS3, go to the WWE Network, and find the Royal Rumble. The only thing she can't do yet is seek to the actual Royal Rumble match.

For some reason Royal Rumble matches are the only thing she cares about. When we watch Raw, she comes in the room and says, "is this a Royal Rumble?" and we say no and she wanders off. If she does watch some Raw with us and anybody goes out of the ring, she was letting us know that he's been eliminated. She maybe understands now that it doesn't work that way in a non-Rumble match, but she also probably doesn't care.

Rumbles are consistently fun. You get to hear music, see someone appear. Definitely my favorite events.

Kaladin

She would be a fan of old school WCW with their over the top rope DQ rule.

FyreWulff

Well, that was a decent trial. Shame the 360 is still borked.

Had to cancel for now though, I'll see what they do. I think I'll re-sub right before Mania.

Also, cancelling works like Amazon Prime. You cancel but keep your access until the end of the 7 days.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Upon rewatching these old Raws, I now see how great the early Doink character was.

I know what you mean. I always instantly hated him - shit made no sense. Now I appreciate him. Doink and Bob Backlund deserved more credit.

EDIT: 3 episodes of WCCW are on the Network, for those who love some good ol' shit. And it is good!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Upon rewatching these old Raws, I now see how great the early Doink character was.

Heel Doink was incredibly creepy. The theme music was nightmare-inducing as a child.

BFIB

Heel Doink was incredibly creepy. The theme music was nightmare-inducing as a child.

I kind of fell out of the "new generation" era. Wasn't a big fan of the gimmicks at the time, and really got into WCW around 93 through 95, until Hogan came in.

But upon these rewatches, there actually was some really great wrestling. And some of the gimmicks in retrospect were great. Doink especially.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I kind of fell out of the "new generation" era. Wasn't a big fan of the gimmicks at the time, and really got into WCW around 93 through 95, until Hogan came in.

But upon these rewatches, there actually was some really great wrestling. And some of the gimmicks in retrospect were great. Doink especially.

Didn't Goldust hit the scene around this time, too?

strobogo

Banned
Didn't Goldust hit the scene around this time, too?

No. Goldust had his in ring debut in the fall of 1995. Doink showed up in late 1992 and was ruined before the end of 1993 when he turned face, got replaced by various wrestlers, and became a full on jobber character.

Plinko

No. Goldust had his in ring debut in the fall of 1995. Doink showed up in late 1992 and was ruined before the end of 1993 when he turned face, got replaced by various wrestlers, and became a full on jobber character.

Thanks. I meant around the 93-95 time frame, though, which would be true.

Doink should never have been a face.

Downhome

Well, the Xbox issues are supposedly resolved. I just got this email from them...

The WWE Network login issue for Xbox 360 users has been resolved, and we apologize for any inconvenience. Click here to learn more about setting up your Xbox 360 to view all WWE Network has to offer.

Carnby

Alright so I didn't have funds in my PayPal account, so I got an email from WWE telling me to update my info. They included this paragraph and it's cracking me up with how corny it reads.

I almost feel like I'm signing up for the army.

I'm cracking up too. Is that real? LMAOOO!

Entropia

No One Remembers
Alright so I didn't have funds in my PayPal account, so I got an email from WWE telling me to update my info. They included this paragraph and it's cracking me up with how corny it reads.

What the fuck???

Zach

Haha... What the heck, man?

PaulLFC

I get the impression that MLBAM don't test a thing before they throw these apps out there for everyone to beta test.

The 360 issues were bad enough, but they blamed MS for that one - but the PS4 app is their doing, and it sucks. Search was patched in despite the fact it didn't work, and still doesn't. As a search function, it's useless, as it doesn't search for anything 99% of the time. The 1% of time it does search, it doesn't show you all available results anyway.

Today I noticed that they have sections for Raw and Smackdown Backstage Pass, and the Raw Pre-show, although none for Smackdown Pre-show or This Week in WWE. I clicked on the Raw Pre-show section.

"Fatal Error: Something has gone very wrong, please restart the application"

Seriously? Come on. They couldn't even code a "There are no episodes" page with a back button, so just left the app to crash instead? The network is great value and I certainly won't be unsubscribing for a long time yet, but this is just amateur.

How often are they planning on adding more content? I know there's a new episode of wm rewind and countdown tonight...but is it like a daily or weekly kind of thing?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

What the hell?

Watching the Tyson/Austin segment from Jan. of 1998, and while it seems kinda mild nowadays, back then, it blew my nearly 13 year old mind. It was talked about everywhere, and was where Austin went from wrestling star to household name.

Also, never noticed that you can quite clearly read Vince's lip and he says "push him, Mike" after Austin flips him off.

They had to be scared to death of the possibility that Tyson might go off script.

MC Safety

It would be great if the search engine for the Network was a little more comprehensive.

I'd love to search for, for example, Adrian Adonis' "Relax with Trudy" days.

Or The Duke of Dorchester, Pete Dorehty's brief stint as an announcer.

korly

The 360 app works now, but it's way worse than the PS3 app.

When you click on say "Royal Rumble" it doesn't give you all of them to scroll through like in the PS3 app, you have to manually select the year you want from the drop down menu which isn't exactly a deal breaker, but when looking through some of the other PPVs at first I thought that maybe the other years weren't there.

Streaming works absolutely fine on the 360 app though.

And the 360 interface is a lot more sluggish, which is a result of the overall structure of any media app on the 360 (it's basically the same interface as vimeo/hulu/youtube/dailymotion/etc)

If all you have is the 360, great! It's good enough. But if given the choice, I'd use any other version of the app.

EDIT: It's also worth mentioning that the live stream on the 360 seems to be about 60 seconds ahead of the PS3 app, for whatever reason

Was wrestlemania 26 any good? My free trial runs out in a couple of days and I won't be subbing because I'm poor as fuck at the moment so need to pick wisely. I saw the promo vid for undertaker/hbk though and holy shit what a godly promo

Are people still having regular issues with buffering on PS4 or am I in the minority? It's better than it was at launch obviously but it's still tough to watch anything for any great length of time because of it.

The graphics that display behind the wrestler when they make an entrance is pretty good at ruining the quality of the stream. It makes the entrance look like a jumble of pixels.

deafmedal

Haven't really watched a bunch of matches yet, really only SS '98 and the awesome Rock/HHH ladder match, but I've been looking at some of the programs, watched the Austin documentary thingy, Countdown, This is NXT (?) and Wrestlemania Rewind....
Got to say I'm diggin it thus far, I reckon they have more of those 'this is your life' documentaries? I really enjoyed the Austin one and would love to watch others.

I generally watch on the Apple TV and haven't had any issues really. iPad app works as well although 'Push' is a little finicky but works well enough. Hope they add the ability to start watching on one Apple TV and then move to another (or maybe it does, haven't tried yet but I figured with it not remembering where you leave off if you shut it down/go back a menu why would it?) like iTunes/Netfilx/Hulu. I think my wife was mad I didn't finish watching the Austin thingy in bed last night lol.

Soooo much content, bookmarked the other thread and will slowly start watching some of those recommendations. Totally worth the cash for wrasslin fans!

I'm sure it's been asked before but is there a legit way to get this now in the UK ?. Is there an official date for it in the UK ?.

Thanks.

ibkI3FWEr133Un.gif

I mean is that not amazing.
I lived Nick Patrick

Top Bottom