• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I forgot how action packed Rock/Austin at WM17 was. Just a 30 min war between the two best of their era, not a dull moment to be found.

Edit: The next Wrestlemania Rewind is two Cena matches, I think this will be the first one I'll skip.

Yeah, I saw they were doing Cena/Big Show. I can understand why they would want to highlight Cena's first Mania but that match wasn't good at all.

strobogo

Banned
How did the original NWO break up. The last thing I really remember about the original NWO in 1999 was that the Wolfpack NWO and Hollywood NWO merged into one group. I have totally forgot what happened inbetween the merger and the NWO that Bret was the leader in.

The simplest breakdown is that Savage and Hogan started to not get along again. Savage felt Hogan was only looking out for himself, with the NWO being secondary/a means to that end. Eventually, Nash would side with Savage and Nash decided to splitter off into his own group. It took place over the course of about 5 months that felt like 5 years and many SWERVES were had, only for both groups to ultimately reunite at the start of 1999 anyway only to...start the whole split again before the whole thing was just kind of phased out when Hogan started turning face and took time off for an injury.

Something I've always wondered -- do most people think Hogan made NWO...or that NWO made Hogan (at least in WCW and his career's second wind)?

Obviously it's probably a little of both, but if people had to pick one, which would it be?

Well, Saturn vs Raven at Bash at the Beach '98 is the WORST match I've seen so far.

I don't know what was worse, Nick Patrick selling his boot to the face or Perry Saturn jumping through 2 tables with nobody on them. (If you watch the match, you can clearly see he noticed Raven was pulled off but jumped anyways. Plus the tables didn't even break.)

God, watching WCW in the late 1990's, early 2000's, I'm noticing how many old guys (Hogan, Hall, Savage, Nash, Hart, Hennig, etc.) they have running around wrestling like it's still 1989-1994. Punch, walk around the ring for 5 minutes, irish whip, clothesline, more walking around. God it goes so slow. Meanwhile while this is going on Booker T, Jericho, Benoit were all low carders.

Also, Tony Schiavone is terrible. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH HOW MONUMENTAL OF A NIGHT THIS IS GOING TO BE. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT MOMENT IN ENTERTAINMENT HISTORY. Oh shut the fuck up already.

strobogo

Banned
Well, Saturn vs Raven at Bash at the Beach '98 is the WORST match I've seen so far.

I don't know what was worse, Nick Patrick selling his boot to the face or Perry Saturn jumping through 2 tables with nobody on them. (If you watch the match, you can clearly see he noticed Raven was pulled off but jumped anyways. Plus the tables didn't even break.)

God, watching WCW in the late 1990's, early 2000's, I'm noticing how many old guys (Hogan, Hall, Savage, Nash, Hart, Hennig, etc.) they have running around wrestling like it's still 1989-1994. Punch, walk around the ring for 5 minutes, irish whip, clothesline, more walking around. God it goes so slow. Meanwhile while this is going on Booker T, Jericho, Benoit were all low carders.

Also, Tony Schiavone is terrible. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH HOW MONUMENTAL OF A NIGHT THIS IS GOING TO BE. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT MOMENT IN ENTERTAINMENT HISTORY. Oh shut the fuck up already.

ipqxaFpc8kRez.gif

ibkI3FWEr133Un.gif

All the Raven/Saturn matches were really disappointing. They never seemed to get past 2nd gear. Tony was great though. He didn't say greatest night most important moment in this great sport any more than JR did during the same time frame.

Tony Schiavone was the King of Hyperbole, by a few miles and that's saying something.

strobogo

Banned
You're right. JR and Gorilla never went over the top for shitty programs like Warlord vs Bulldog or Billy Gunn being King of the Ring.

I said 'at least partly' - it's the commentator's job to sell the show, regardless of the content, it just sucks for Tony that a good percentage of what he was given to sell was complete ass. If you asked me for a defining image of WCW during the Attitude Era, it would be of Tony trying to make 'waiting for a limo to arrive' seem exciting.

Kind of like late 2000-early 2001 when Ric Flair would come out and say, "WCW is the greatest wrestling company in the world!" in front of full-sized arenas that barely had 1,000 people in them.

strobogo

Banned
I know I'd much rather have current WWE commentating where the most excited anyone gets is when they shill for Sonic or get the chance to make fun of Vickie.

Hasney

I wish they would redo the Important Moments legends roundtable. Flair dominating the conversation just gets annoying.

Still, it's not Michael Hayes, but JR, Foley and Tazz are just happy enough to let him talk.

Something I've always wondered -- do most people think Hogan made NWO...or that NWO made Hogan (at least in WCW and his career's second wind)?

Obviously it's probably a little of both, but if people had to pick one, which would it be?

I'd say it was a combo of both. Hogan as a heel wouldn't have been as powerful if it wasn't for the NWO invasion

strobogo

Banned
I'd say it was a combo of both. Hogan as a heel wouldn't have been as powerful if it wasn't for the NWO invasion

I would agree with this. I think the NWO would have been a big deal even without Hogan, but if you're building an angle where the WWF is invading, there is no better person to head that group than Hulk Hogan. Which is something he explained in a promo shortly after he turned. This was even after the law suit from Vince made WCW explicitly say Hall and Nash weren't from the WWF, but Hogan still cut a promo about how no one knows about up North better than him. Add to the fact that WCW fans never really accepted Hogan and were booing him anyway, it was excellent booking. I think without the NWO angle, Hogan in WCW would have died out with in another year. People just were not interested in him doing the same shit he'd been doing for 10 years. It's not like Cena where kids still love him. Everyone was sick of Hulkamania Hogan in 1996. Fuck, people in the WWF were pretty sick of it in 1992.

I think WCW would have overtaken the WWF for a while even if Hogan never turned heel. Hall and Nash by themselves, plus the cruisers and great undercard were just putting on a better show than what Vince was doing at the time. I don't think they would have been so huge without the Hogan turn and I think Hogan probably would have faded away with out the heel turn.

Aiii

So not worth it
nWo was definitely elevated by Hogan. I don't think anyone else could have carried that faction the way he did. Diesel en Razor were a big deal coming over from WWF, but they were stars in WWF's worste drawing era, so I doubt they would've been huge draws on their own with another random like X-Pac instead of Hogan.

Hasney

nWo was definitely elevated by Hogan. I don't think anyone else could have carried that faction the way he did. Diesel en Razor were a big deal coming over from WWF, but they were stars in WWF's worste drawing era, so I doubt they would've been huge draws on their own with another random like X-Pac instead of Hogan.

I think Sting would have worked, but to a much lesser degree. It would have been huge for WCW fans and maybe even bring some lapsed fans back, but the fact that it was Hogan turning heel really got people talking.

strobogo

Banned
I think Bret coming over in 1996, which was the original plan, would have been a pretty big deal as well, but Hogan turning heel was something that got coverage on the news.

Hasney

I think Bret coming over in 1996, which was the original plan, would have been a pretty big deal as well, but Hogan turning heel was something that got coverage on the news.

If i was Bischoff, I would have moved heaven and earth to get Bret on that Nitro after Survivor Series. Don't know what the ratings were for the first hour of that Nitro, but I'm sure I couldn't have been the only one wondering what the fuck was going to happen. Then Raw managed to beat them to the punch by having the Vince sit down.

strobogo

Banned
Bischoff was a bit hamstrung on what he could do with Bret as he had a 60 day no compete clause which prevented him from any matches, but he still could have done SOMETHING better than the NWO welcome wagon and shitty guest ref garbage.

I've been enjoying the network a fair bit so far, especially the legends of wrestling panels (minus Doc Hendrix).

I watched some of the Benoit stuff I missed after WWE absorbed ECW/WCW, are there any good Benoit bits in the resurrected ECW?

I was browsing around last night and Wrestlemania 19 was mysteriously absent. Any idea what happened to it? Perhaps it was just a glitch.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I've been enjoying the network a fair bit so far, especially the legends of wrestling panels (minus Doc Hendrix).

I watched some of the Benoit stuff I missed after WWE absorbed ECW/WCW, are there any good Benoit bits in the resurrected ECW?

I was browsing around last night and Wrestlemania 19 was mysteriously absent. Any idea what happened to it? Perhaps it was just a glitch.

I was alerted to Mania 19 vanishing as well, when I went to its page it had a technical error, so I don't think it's missing by design.

Hasney

No to Benoit in ECW. Think he was only there about a month before the shit went down.

BFIB

Bischoff was a bit hamstrung on what he could do with Bret as he had a 60 day no compete clause which prevented him from any matches, but he still could have done SOMETHING better than the NWO welcome wagon and shitty guest ref garbage.

To me, the beginning of my end of WCW was Starrcade '97. Such a bullshit ending to the Sting/Hogan match.

Bret's involvement certainly didn't help things.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I just got tickets for RAW at Barclays. I am super excited. I hope it lives up to the last RAW I went to which was in Austin with the Daniel Bryan gauntlet match against Jack Swagger, Ceasaro, and Ryback before Summer Slam. All my friends became believers of Daniel Bryan after that night. After wrestling that gauntlet which lasted like an hour it felt like, Daniel Bryan even came out for the blackout match for a triple tag team.

I pretty much slowed down with WCW around the time the Wolfpack and NWO Hollywood became a faction again and when The Giant left, after he left the flood gates started to open with Jericho, Radicalz & Raven etc. I only remember some bits and pieces post 1999 WCW and they were terrible. Also when WCW became WcW.

BFIB

I pretty much slowed down with WCW around the time the Wolfpack and NWO Hollywood became a faction again and when The Giant left, after he left the flood gates started to open with Jericho, Radicalz & Raven etc. I only remember some bits and pieces post 1999 WCW and they were terrible. Also when WCW became WcW.

Best part was watching everyone trip on stage w/ that horrible WCW logo.

The WcW logo redesign is probably one of the worst logo redesigns in history. It's almost impossible to tell what it is. When WWF refreshed their logo during the attitude era, it still looked like the letters wwf. I don't know who designed the WcW one, or who gave it the go ahead, but it certainly didn't help their ailing brand.

So I'm thinking about calling the Network a THIRD time now since they said I'd get a refund for 10 dollars since they charged me twice and said I'll get it by Friday, which is today. Like what the fuck, seriously?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
So I'm thinking about calling the Network a THIRD time now since they said I'd get a refund for 10 dollars since they charged me twice and said I'll get it by Friday, which is today. Like what the fuck, seriously?
I contacted them twice about still having access and being flagged as an active sub and they said my refund and cancelation request was recieved.

... I still have access, but my account now says my trial ended the 10th even though I signed up the 24th.

No money back either. I wonde lr If I'll keep having access and not get charged.

joelseph

With Total Divas season 2 airing on E! this weekend what are the official plan for the series on the WWE Network? Wasn't it a talking point for the sales pitch?

RobbieNick

Gave the network the o'l "public wi-fi" test at my local McDonalds and watched Randy Savage vs. Ultimate Warrior from SummerSlam '92 on my iPod Touch. Worked great!

I think WCW would have overtaken the WWF for a while even if Hogan never turned heel. Hall and Nash by themselves, plus the cruisers and great undercard were just putting on a better show than what Vince was doing at the time. I don't think they would have been so huge without the Hogan turn and I think Hogan probably would have faded away with out the heel turn.

WWF was definitely in a weird/disappointing place because 2 of their 4 hottest guys (Nash, Michaels, Hall, Hart) had just picked up and left WCW. In fact I remember the whole Michaels/Diesel feud being so disappointing because word was out that Diesel was leaving and that he was going to job for Michaels.

That being said WCW was still hard to watch for me. Even if the wrestling was great, the production values weren't necessarily there. It wasn't until Bash at the Beach '96 that everyone took notice and were like WTF is happening in WCW. I remember watching TSN Sportdesk and seeing them show the Hogan heel turn. It garnered a TON of attention. It was still close even to the run of Hulkamania in WWF that no one ever thought they'd see him turn heel. It was easily the biggest single event in wrestling history.to me.

BTW I'm so bummed that this is not available in Canada yet.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
With Total Divas season 2 airing on E! this weekend what are the official plan for the series on the WWE Network? Wasn't it a talking point for the sales pitch?

Dunno but I want to know.

Gave the network the o'l "public wi-fi" test at my local McDonalds and watched Randy Savage vs. Ultimate Warrior from SummerSlam '92 on my iPod Touch. Worked great!

What else would someone do at a McDonalds? Classic match.

I wish they would redo the Important Moments legends roundtable. Flair dominating the conversation just gets annoying.

Still, it's not Michael Hayes, but JR, Foley and Tazz are just happy enough to let him talk.
Flair is MUCH worse than Michael Hayes on these roundtables. Bitter, delusional, rude, insecure, full of himself... It's a complete embarrassment.

NoTacos

I forgot how action packed Rock/Austin at WM17 was. Just a 30 min war between the two best of their era, not a dull moment to be found.

Yeah, I saw they were doing Cena/Big Show. I can understand why they would want to highlight Cena's first Mania but that match wasn't good at all.

I forgot that it took 2 FU's plus a brass knuckle shot to take Show out of that match. Really wasn't that great.

Lothar

Banned
Everything Jarrett ever touched turned to shit.

Not true. Jarrett had some pretty damn good matches with Razor Ramon. If you don't believe me, put on Royal Rumble 95. Jarrett vs Shawn at a IYH was one of the best matches of the year in 95.

Top Bottom