• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

strobogo

Banned
The Nitro after Starracade was hilarious too, when they had the rematch and it got cut off at the end of the show (as if every nitro back then didnt do overrun) and the nWos lawyers refused to release the footage.

Which lead to the title being vacated until the end of February. Then Sting winning, dropping it to Savage 2 months later, who then dropped it back to Hogan the next night.

The jobber format was great for these old RAWs. It gave a chance to really showcase the star. Also these 1 hour RAWs really built up the mid card wrestlers very well with great matches, case in point was Janetty vs Doink 2 out of 3 falls.

It really made the build up to PPV events worthy because you wouldnt see Razor Ramon vs Bret Hart 100x a year on RAW. The product was so much less diluted and pretty fresh. I know that the early 90's was a huge downtime in pro wrestling but the booking and matchmaking were damn great.

Zach

The jobber format was great for these old RAWs. It gave a chance to really showcase the star. Also these 1 hour RAWs really built up the mid card wrestlers very well with great matches, case in point was Janetty vs Doink 2 out of 3 falls.

It really made the build up to PPV events worthy because you wouldnt see Razor Ramon vs Bret Hart 100x a year on RAW. The product was so much less diluted and pretty fresh. I know that the early 90's was a huge downtime in pro wrestling but the booking and matchmaking were damn great.

I'd love to go back to having local wrestlers jobbing to the stars on RAW, but I'm assuming that doesn't happen now because of contracts and whatnot? Maybe?

strobogo

Banned
I'd love to go back to having local wrestlers jobbing to the stars on RAW, but I'm assuming that doesn't happen now because of contracts and whatnot? Maybe?

No, it doesn't happen now because WWE (and TNA) are still in the mind set of the Monday Night Wars where you had to give away big matches every week to win the ratings war each week. Now I think they're afraid to go back to that kind of style of booking in mainland WWE, even though they do it in NXT, because they think fans will tune out. They trained their audience to accept the change in ring style over the course of a few years. I think the could do the same with formats of TV shows. It's beneficial for everyone for a number of reasons: Saves big matches and prevents people getting worn out of the same things over and over, saves wear and tear on stars, allows wrestlers to get characters over, allows people to actually look like stars instead of having the entire mid card also be jobbers at the same time, makes big matches happening on Raw/Smackdown seem like a big deal again, and possibly even make house shows seem more important.

Ohwiseone

Okay, so I was tired of everyone saying how cool this network is.. And I have watched wrestling in passing but was never a huge fan.

I went ahead and bit, and I'm pretty new when it comes to this stuff. So where should I start?

(If this has already been broken down I'm sorry.. I didn't wanna read through every page today)

Anth0ny

Okay, so I was tired of everyone saying how cool this network is.. And I have watched wrestling in passing but was never a huge fan.

I went ahead and bit, and I'm pretty new when it comes to this stuff. So where should I start?

(If this has already been broken down I'm sorry.. I didn't wanna read through every page today)

Wrestlemania 17 is possibly the greatest PPV ever, and includes all of the big names (Rock, Stone Cold, Triple H, Undertaker, Kurt Angle, etc.)

Another route you can go, if you want to watch multiple PPVs in order, would be to start at the beginning of 1997 (in WWE specifically) and just watch everything until Wrestlemania 17. Basically an Attitude Era marathon. I did it over the past couple of years (including every Raw). It's fun.

Watched some of the Best of Smackdown episode, and is it just me, or did the graphic for the Tag Team Title still have the WWF logo on the belt?

somedevil

I watching Unforgiven 2002 and just heard howard finkel announce eric bischoff accompanied by the lesbians.

Then I remember 2002 Raw sucked and thankful its Pg and this crap can never ever happen again.

Holy shit. The skipping is back in full force for me. It's becoming unwatchable if it happens every minute and a half.

Skipping a little bit for me, too.

Didn't watch back in 2008, and picked SummerSlam at random. Haha, wow, Jericho just punched HBK's wife. Gotta give her a lot of credit. Plus, she's a great actor - was legit crying in the ring when HBK was teasing retirement.

They made a deal with the Fund to show the WWF logo and not have to mute the F anymore back in 2012.

I know that, but this episode of Smackdown was from 2003, a year after the name/logo change, and yet it looks like the graphic they had for the belt still had the WWF logo.

Aiii

So not worth it
The Motley Fool website has a new article up looking at if the WWE Network will be able to handle the large amount of viewers tuning in for WrestleMania XXX live on April 6th. The article notes that WWE is taking the right steps and saying the right things about their efforts to make sure WrestleMania streams without problems but they're going into uncharted territory.

WWE issued the following statement to the website:

"Notwithstanding the overwhelmingly positive response to WWE Network, we want to ensure subscribers have the highest-quality experience watching WrestleMania 30 and all our programming, and thus have put in place significant quality assurances. These steps include increased capacity to handle high volumes of transactions, logins, and concurrent live streams, daily 'stress' testing of all systems over an extended period, and the addition of technology experts to review our plan and procedures. We're confident that we'll be ready on Sunday, April 6."

I doubt very much that stream is going to work properly come Mania. Fingers crossed though.

Lothar

Banned
Wrestlemania 17 is possibly the greatest PPV ever, and includes all of the big names (Rock, Stone Cold, Triple H, Undertaker, Kurt Angle, etc.)

Another route you can go, if you want to watch multiple PPVs in order, would be to start at the beginning of 1997 (in WWE specifically) and just watch everything until Wrestlemania 17. Basically an Attitude Era marathon. I did it over the past couple of years (including every Raw). It's fun.

That's a good idea if you're watching the Raws. But while the Raws in 1997 might have been one of the best years ever, the PPVs are not that good. Really as you're watching those 1997 PPVs, you should skip everything that doesn't involve Austin and Bret probably until you get to King of the Ring 1997.

However, the blue and gold SD tags came about after the WWF-E name change. I went through my screens, and I didn't see anything showing the WWF logo for those belts - although I didn't grab a screen of the really big-shot of the belts before the match, only the corner graphic of them.

Ohwiseone

When I say this, keep in mind I am just starting to watch this stuff.

But Royal Rumble from 2001 is fantastic. The Jericho/Benoit Ladder match is amazing.

geomon

When I say this, keep in mind I am just starting to watch this stuff.

But Royal Rumble from 2001 is fantastic. The Jericho/Benoit Ladder match is amazing.

tumblr_lgs3hnv1Tq1qb020e.gif

strobogo

Banned
It's good, but I'm pretty worn out from it. I think it's their basic nWo doc they released a couple years ago but I'm not entirely sure. They've retread that stuff SO much.

The doc they did a year or two ago was literally made up entirely out of the 2002 doc and Monday Night Wars DVD with updated Kevin Nash telling the same stories and Cody Rhodes telling the story about Dusty working him the whole time. It was shameless almost to a gross degree.

No, it doesn't happen now because WWE (and TNA) are still in the mind set of the Monday Night Wars where you had to give away big matches every week to win the ratings war each week. Now I think they're afraid to go back to that kind of style of booking in mainland WWE, even though they do it in NXT, because they think fans will tune out. They trained their audience to accept the change in ring style over the course of a few years. I think the could do the same with formats of TV shows. It's beneficial for everyone for a number of reasons: Saves big matches and prevents people getting worn out of the same things over and over, saves wear and tear on stars, allows wrestlers to get characters over, allows people to actually look like stars instead of having the entire mid card also be jobbers at the same time, makes big matches happening on Raw/Smackdown seem like a big deal again, and possibly even make house shows seem more important.

Early impacts on fsn did a lot of the jobber matches. I don't think they were received very well by most. I agree that they should try to bring them back though, guys like Kofi and Ziggler would be in a much better place if they did.

Razorskin

----- ------
Had no clue this Narcissis dude Heenan was hyping up was Lex Luger :lol

His unveiling is pretty much a WBF performance with Heenan going wild.

geomon

Can someone explain to me how Dennis Rodman & Jay Leno deserve 8 minutes while the fucking Fingerpoke of Doom is basically just reduced to one clip?

Personally, I'd rather watch Rodman and Leno than the Fingerpoke of Doom. At least with Rodman and Leno you had DDP and Hogan wrestling.

elektrixx

Banned
Am I meant to be able to get a second 7 day trial? I signed up at launch and cancelled before my time was up. Now I've just signed again for free.

Hasney

Am I meant to be able to get a second 7 day trial? I signed up at launch and cancelled before my time was up. Now I've just signed again for free.

They'll probably allow it for now so they have another week to grab you on a 6 month commitment, but post Wrestlemania, they'll probably close it.

Frolow

Banned
So as a really casual wrestling fan (only seriously watched from 2009-2011 and just recently started tuning in again), what's the best stuff to watch here?

geomon

I've learned a lot from the network. For instance, I was watching the MSG show from 03/17/75 and I realized that not only did Hulk Hogan steal from Superstar Billy Graham, he also aped Ivan Putski with the hand to the ear and then point at the crowd thing.

Top Bottom