• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

They fucking suck and ruin shows by refusing to react to anything unless someone is killing themselves. There are a lot of things I don't like about ECW in the PPV era. The fans are the number one thing. Some other things: The over mic'd ring, the way matches seemed excessively scripted and a plotted out even when they were supposed to be wild and out of control, the increasingly more ridiculous over booking. Nothing feels authentic or spontaneous once they got on PPV. You watch the Hardcore TV stuff from 1993 and 1994 and you see a promotion that really feels like it has no rules and no format, but just a bunch of guys flying by the seat of their pants with coke and coffee. All that shit was gone once they made it to PPV. And once they got to TNN...fuck, that was the only project I flat out gave up on. I could sit through all of 1998-2001 WCW, but couldn't make it through 6 months of ECW on TNN.

Not to doubt you, because you have watched your share of the stuff, but for me at least ECW 1997-2001 PPV is some of the best stuff I have ever seen.

strobogo

Banned
Not to doubt you, because you have watched your share of the stuff, but for me at least ECW 1997-2001 PPV is some of the best stuff I have ever seen.

It's so samey to me. Paul ran out of steam in 1997 and it got worse and worse as the best talent moved on. I mean, Scotty Riggs was a featured performer in 2000 for ECW.

strobogo

Banned
Especially the crowds, how could you hate on them? They were everything.

Because they were entitled assholes who were more interested in chanting things to get a reaction from themselves than anything going on during the shows. Watch the crowds during matches in the PPV era. They just hang out and only pop for big spots, don't react at all to anything else, and just want to be there to chant crazy shit to the women and you fucked up at botches. It never seems like any of those people like wrestling and go because they enjoy the characters or stories. They went to chant stupid shit and try to get over, which is terrible. NXT Crowd sometimes skirts that, but they usually go along with the show and not try to ruin it. Like when Adam Rose debuted and one dude tried a Leo Kruger chant and immediately got drowned out and shut up. ECW crowds were the worst of message board fans all piled into one building.

They really deflate PPVs because they straight up go silent and sit on their hands until someone almost dies, and then shit on the guys for botching or doing a big spot that isn't big enough.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Trips pronouncing "Norfolk" correctly.
PIfS5Bt.gif
Everyone always says "Nor-folk"

It's so samey to me. Paul ran out of steam in 1997 and it got worse and worse as the best talent moved on. I mean, Scotty Riggs was a featured performer in 2000 for ECW.

I agree with this. ECW was done once they started putting the strap on Steve Corino.

95-97 ECW was GOAT. 98 was good too, but not on 97's level.

The product couldn't last when Taz, Sabu, Franchise, Dudleys, Raven, Sandman etc all left. By the end of ECW all we had was RVD and Tommy Dreamer. Guys like Simon Diamond were mega lame.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's D'Von Dudley! He went on to WWE work then TNA.

I have no idea

strobogo

Banned
Faith No More Guy and Hat Guy. Hat Guy was a TOTAL CUNT and was seen at Philly shows for all companies going back to WCW stuff in the late 80s. He was/is a miserable dick head who just went to shit on people. Wrestlepalooza 1998 had two teenagers in the front row dressed as him with Hat Guy Youth signs. Made me want to puke. Imagine people dressing up at WWE shows as Brock Plant or that dude with the red hat.

blurrygil

Speaking of ECW fans. I remember seeing this guy all the time. Even in some WWF events. Who is he lol (Bearded guy and Hawaiian shirt guy)

sandmanfamily.jpg

Ahhhhhh, the famed Hawaiian Shirt/Straw Hat Guy!

His name is John Bailey and he's just a really big fan. Says he'd wear the shirt and hat in order to stand out from the crowd if ever on TV. Got the inspiration from a fellow fan from way back at watching the matches at The Spectrum. He's a pretty cool guy, I've met him once while at a WWE show at the Wells Fargo Center.

Here's a snippet of an interview with him for Barbed Wire City...

Edit: Well, he was pretty nice to me and my friends. Came off as real humble. Shared some beers and BS'd for quite a while in the concourse.

Watching some old Daniel Bryan PPV stuff as a lead up to this weekend. Currently planned:

SummerSlam 2010
MITB 2011
TLC 2011

What else should I add?

Razorskin

----- ------
Watching some old Daniel Bryan PPV stuff as a lead up to this weekend. Currently planned:

SummerSlam 2010
MITB 2011
TLC 2011

What else should I add?

Exteme 2012 -An actual match vs. Sheamus that's pretty good
His matches with CM Punk were good
Over the Limit 2012
No Way Out 2012
Money in the Bank 2012
He then goes on to team up with Kane and the tag division sucks so the matches weren't anything good. Just the vignettes on raw were memorable.
OK I lied there's one good one
TLC 2012

strobogo

Banned

His name is John Bailey and he's just a really big fan. Says he'd wear the shirt and hat in order to stand out from the crowd if ever on TV. Got the inspiration from a fellow fan from way back at watching the matches at The Spectrum. He's a pretty cool guy, I've met him once while at a WWE show at the Wells Fargo Center.

Edit: Well, he was pretty nice to me and my friends. Came off as real humble. Shared some beers and BS'd for quite a while in the concourse.

Everything I've heard and seen from him paints him as a total asshole. Maybe he mellowed with age.

Fucking LOOOOOOOL at WWE putting in sound effects on weapon shots for New Jack's run ins since the audio editing eliminates the crowd and ring noise.

Nice. will watch now

I could watch Kerry Von Erich review wrestling tapes forever. That is heaven to me, Hearing Kerry Von Erich review wrestling tapes. Just like what he's doing in this WCCW episode (#56). "TERRY GORDY WAS INSTIGATOR -- BAM, BOOM, SONUVA GAHHH"

I can't stop laughing.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Huge update today:

Vault
Ecw Hardcore Tv
#68 - 1994/08/01
#70 - 1994/08/15
#85 - 1994/12/05
#86 - 1994/12/12
#87 - 1994/12/19
#88 - 1994/12/26
#90 - 1995/01/09
#91 - 1995/01/16
#92 - 1995/01/23
#104 - 1995/04/17
#105 - 1995/04/24
#106 - 1995/05/01
Legends Of Wrestling
NWO - 2011/06/30
Search Only
RAW
Episode 35 - 1993/10/11
Episode 36 - 1993/10/18

BFIB

About to watch Legends NWO roundtable. This is gonna be good.

EDIT: So yeah. I remember on an earlier "Legends" roundtable, where Hayes trashed the nWo angle, and Nash in particular about not "being a good worker" or something to that effect. Now he's on this roundtable hyping up how "we were all glued to the TV when the angle first started".

JavyOO7

I can't articulate properly how annoying I find JR in the nWo roundtable. And maybe in the future I can. But right now, holy crap. He just sucks the wind out of the sails of the conversation happening.

blurrygil

Huge update today:

Vault
Ecw Hardcore Tv
#68 - 1994/08/01
#70 - 1994/08/15
#85 - 1994/12/05
#86 - 1994/12/12
#87 - 1994/12/19
#88 - 1994/12/26
#90 - 1995/01/09
#91 - 1995/01/16
#92 - 1995/01/23
#104 - 1995/04/17
#105 - 1995/04/24
#106 - 1995/05/01
Legends Of Wrestling
NWO - 2011/06/30
Search Only
RAW
Episode 35 - 1993/10/11
Episode 36 - 1993/10/18

Wow, nice.

Fox Mulder

Thanks my new Roku, I'll be able to watch WrestleMania (and everything else on the WWE Network) on TV.

it one of the last things that pushed me to get the roku. I've been content using the ouya for streaming and playing stuff off a HDD with XBMC, but sideloading everything sucks and the wwe app for the network doesnt work.

Ninhead

Huge update today:

Vault
Ecw Hardcore Tv
#68 - 1994/08/01
#70 - 1994/08/15
#85 - 1994/12/05
#86 - 1994/12/12
#87 - 1994/12/19
#88 - 1994/12/26
#90 - 1995/01/09
#91 - 1995/01/16
#92 - 1995/01/23
#104 - 1995/04/17
#105 - 1995/04/24
#106 - 1995/05/01
Legends Of Wrestling
NWO - 2011/06/30
Search Only
RAW
Episode 35 - 1993/10/11
Episode 36 - 1993/10/18

How exactly do I watch any of this? None of it is showing up in each shows listing.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How exactly do I watch any of this? None of it is showing up in each shows listing.

I see em...dunno what your issue could be. Using PC? Or something else? They may not have pushed the update just yet to other devices. Maybe.

geomon

They show up on PC, haven't checked mobile or PS3 yet.

By the way, watching Raw Backstage Pass today and Barrett should be a regular. I love that guy.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
thats customer service. got a response from the ceo of wwe himself.

TRYING TO GET WRESTLEMANIA FREE?!
iboHxnM6AOESPe.gif

Seriously though no more trials, 6 month commitment. It's definitely worth it just for the existing content, not to mention the PPVs.

JavyOO7

The network is a fantastic deal. 10 bucks a month. Its only going to get better as more RAW, Nitro's, ECW TV's and original content get in the network. And most importantly, the player it uses is only going to get better too. I feel the network could use a big time GUI upgrade.

Ferny

I don't use it as much as I should these days because I binged on a lot of content in the first couple weeks, but it's still bery much worth it even if only for the live ppvs a month. Quality is great and it will be very interesting to see how Sunday goes.

Shadybiz

Very nervous about Sunday. Thinking about how the Network is going to hold up.

I get frequent stalling and instances where the feed will backtrack by about 5 seconds. The other day, I was watching the HHH special, when it just stopped dead and didn't start again until I backed out of it. The backtrack I can deal with..the stalling/buffering sucks. I'm on PS3. Is the PS4 app any better? The only reason I don't use the PS4 app is that I can use my PS3 blu-ray remote with the 3. I also have my PS4 DMZ'd, so maybe that would help a bit? I dunno. I'm having a friend over, and it would suck if the performance was terrible.

BFIB

Been watching some of the WM Rewinds to get my hype meter up even more for Sunday. Just watched the Bret Hart one, and I always have a huge smile when I see my Owen Hart sign that me and all my wrestling buddies made for his memorial Raw episode. My favorite wrestler that never got the World Title. :(

strobogo

Banned
Has Jimmy Hart ever been in an injury angle? He's taken so many hits from wrestlers, but it seems to never have any effect on him once the match ends.

He was one of the many who had their arms broken by Lex. Other than that, I can't think of any in the WWF or WCW. He had a fireball thrown at his face in Memphis and was out for a while.

Top Bottom