• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Legends House this Thursday folks! I guess right after NXT.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Updates today:

Vault
Old School
MSG 10/24/88 - 1988/10/23
Search Only
RAW
Episode 41 - 1993/11/29
Episode 46 - 1994/01/03

BFIB

Its crazy watching these Raw Replays. You can literally see Yokozuna grow in size every week.

EDIT: And watching Johnny Polo knowing that a short while later he'd be Raven.

Fox Mulder

I hope WWE network hits its domestic target by the end of the year. I feel it will end up short though.

i don't know, wouldn't most interested people have bought in with a free week and wrestlemania? I hope it makes the target and think this is the future, but I can see it slowing down dramatically.

blurrygil

Body slam or hip lock? You be the judge.

ipTiKntxB2xX6.gif

I watched this era of PPVs just this weekend. Noice!

Shitty, but a bodyslam.

Luger slamming Yoko is somehow the only memory I have of that entire era. I feel like I watched it on Superstars on Saturday morning or something while changing channels, and it's stuck.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've only got Fallbrawl 1998 left before I take my warrior break. Then I'm going to watch the rest of 1998 and 1997 WCW. Then I'll pick a WWF ppv and watch all of them, maybe all the in your houses or something. Then I'll finish the NWO and Hogan era of WCW.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Today's content:

Vault
Wccw
#70 - 1983/04/14
Old School
MSG 3/19/90 - 1990/03/18
In Ring
Raw Backstage Pass
Backstage Pass to Raw #1090 - 2014/04/13
Search Only
RAW
Episode 43 - 1993/12/13

blurrygil

I remember when he came in on a helicopter wearing a red white and blue shirt and the crowd gave zero fucks about Lex Luger showing up. Before they knew it was Luger they were chanting Hogan.

Yeah. WWF at the time pushed the living hell out of Luger. But he was occasional and mild ME material, at best.

Rapstah

Why did they allow Yokozuna to keep gaining weight? There are serious diminishing returns where he's way heavier without actually being that much more impressive, and he'd be way harder to work with than he looked heavier. They could have worked the weight.

blurrygil

All that hype leading up to Summer Slam for Luger, and he doesn't even win the belt.

That was such a shitty finish. One of the worst.

Vince in the back was like, "Ok ok ok ok...send ALL the guys out there to celebrate so it looks like something actually happened!!! GO DAMMIT!!!!!!"

Why did they allow Yokozuna to keep gaining weight? There are serious diminishing returns where he's way heavier without actually being that much more impressive, and he'd be way harder to work with than he looked heavier. They could have worked the weight.
Because Yoko was an adult man who ate what he wanted.

turnbuckle

I really want the WWE Network to succeed. Big time.

Me too. I know a few people who don't watch wrestling anymore (like myself) that got a subscription. I don't know any of the wrestlers really from the last 15 years but it's worth it for the back catalog. Slowly trying to get into the newer stuff.

I finally got around to watching the 2014 Hall of Fame last night. I intended to have it on while falling asleep and ended up staying awake through the whole thing. Very good Hall of Fame program. Kinda want to watch it again.

I don't know where to start to get into the new stuff; part of me wants to just start with Last Monday's Raw. Gotta start somewhere.

Hasney

Start at Wrestlemania XXX. The recap videos will fill you in on a lot of the product leading up to it, then catch the last 2 Raws.

strobogo

Banned
I remember when he came in on a helicopter wearing a red white and blue shirt and the crowd gave zero fucks about Lex Luger showing up. Before they knew it was Luger they were chanting Hogan.

That turn was legit OUTTA NOWHERE. There was zero foreshadowing or build up whatsoever. In fact, the last thing Lex had been seen doing was going to a time limit draw with Tatanka at KOTR. After the match, he asked for more time only to knock Tatanka out with his forearm plate. And the next time you saw him, he was coming in on a helicopter dressed up like a flag, shoving Heenan, and now is a super face who travels the country in a tour bus and is super patriotic.

Me too. I know a few people who don't watch wrestling anymore (like myself) that got a subscription. I don't know any of the wrestlers really from the last 15 years but it's worth it for the back catalog. Slowly trying to get into the newer stuff.

I finally got around to watching the 2014 Hall of Fame last night. I intended to have it on while falling asleep and ended up staying awake through the whole thing. Very good Hall of Fame program. Kinda want to watch it again.

I don't know where to start to get into the new stuff; part of me wants to just start with Last Monday's Raw. Gotta start somewhere.

I would start with the Raw after WM.

shwimpy

When are they gonna add more Attitude era Raws? I don't really care about the wrestling but the main event storylines were so hilarious. Just watched the Undertaker/Stephanie wedding and the pop when Austin's music hit was amazing. I really want to watch the beginning and end of every Attitude era Raw.

BFIB

Watching Survivor Series '93. Crazy how Ludvig Borga got pushed so quickly, beating Tatanka to end his win streak. Then out of nowhere, Borga is out of the picture.

He also looks like Brock Lesnar's less athletic brother.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Updates and more

The biggest news is that WWE will be adding new features on the WWE Network soon. Those features include highlight markers so viewers can scroll to specific moments of a show, video bookmarks and personalized recommendations based on what people watch like, like on Netflix. Also, they will be adding a personalized feature so you can have the option of marking their favorite content.

* WWE Studios is planning on releasing 8-10 movies this year.

* WWE is planning on going to Malaysia as their new international market for 2014.

* The WWE Networking will be launched this spring on Amazon Fire and Xbox One as well as connected TV's and Blu-ray/DVD players. * The WWE App will be launched on location-based services this summer. WWE is also planning on improving their live event experiences where fans can get directions to the arena, access to merchandise deals and other perks.

turnbuckle

Start at Wrestlemania XXX. The recap videos will fill you in on a lot of the product leading up to it, then catch the last 2 Raws.

I watched part of a match during WM XXX but couldn't stick around for too long. One thing I noticed is that the commentary isn't nearly as good as it used to be. I was probably spoiled by Gorilla/Jesse; Gorilla/Heenan; Jim Ross/King.

But yeah, I'll start with WM XXX and check out the recent Raws. How quickly do Raws get posted on the network after airing on TV?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I watched part of a match during WM XXX but couldn't stick around for too long. One thing I noticed is that the commentary isn't nearly as good as it used to be. I was probably spoiled by Gorilla/Jesse; Gorilla/Heenan; Jim Ross/King.

But yeah, I'll start with WM XXX and check out the recent Raws. How quickly do Raws get posted on the network after airing on TV?

You were definitely spoiled, commentary is at a pretty dark time right now. "Tolerable" is a good run.

Raws are a couple months delayed due to TV and negotiations and such.

turnbuckle

You were definitely spoiled, commentary is at a pretty dark time right now. "Tolerable" is a good run.

Raws are a couple months delayed due to TV and negotiations and such.

Crap. How do I start with Raws from a few weeks ago then? Are they frequently on demand? Thanks for the info man, and too bad about the state of commentary :(

Also, I enjoyed the times when you were doing play by play. Get back down there and show the others how it's done.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Crap. How do I start with Raws from a few weeks ago then? Are they frequently on demand? Thanks for the info man, and too bad about the state of commentary :(

Just go to Raw Replays and it'll show Most Recent.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
New Content today:

Original
Wrestlemania Rewind
Mr. WrestleMania Returns - 2014/04/14
Original Specials
Warriors Greatest Matches - 2014/04/15
In Ring
Wwe Main Event Replays
Episode 81 - 2014/04/15
WWE PPVs
Wrestlemania
WrestleMania 30 Fallout 1 - 2014/04/15
Search Only
RAW
Episode 44 - 1993/12/20

Rapstah

It's generally considered acceptable on this forum to find Raw episodes on streaming video sites because they're free television and there's no real other way to watch them unless you wait for them to pop up on the Network three months later, but I guess it's technically illegal. It's not optimal in a lot of ways, ideally they would get the delay down to 24 hours with the new TV deals but I don't think that's happening either.

blurrygil

It's generally considered acceptable on this forum to find Raw episodes on streaming video sites because they're free television and there's no real other way to watch them unless you wait for them to pop up on the Network three months later, but I guess it's technically illegal. It's not optimal in a lot of ways, ideally they would get the delay down to 24 hours with the new TV deals but I don't think that's happening either.

Sadly, it's what I have to do. I d/l them if I really wanna keep up. Can't watch them on TV, however...only my tablet.

Live RAWs and SDs are the only thing that are keeping this Network from being, say with me folks...

"Absolutely....Perfect!"

40curthennig.jpg

turnbuckle

A 2 hour version of Raw is on Hulu Plus the next morning.

Gah, cancelled my Hulu Plus because I rarely used it and hated paying for ads. But...they might get me with this. I'd rather pay an extra few bucks a month to have Raws on the network, but I imagine for the WWE to commit to it that much there'd be a more significant price bump than that.

strobogo

Banned
When are they getting the old Saturday Night's Main Event episodes?

Later in the year. Other content on the schedule to go up this year: Nitro, Monday Night War, Clash of the Champions, and something called Rock N Roll Wrestling. I assume not the cartoon and more like compilations from 1984-1986.

geomon

Later in the year. Other content on the schedule to go up this year: Nitro, Monday Night War, Clash of the Champions, and something called Rock N Roll Wrestling. I assume not the cartoon and more like compilations from 1984-1986.

Please god, be the cartoon.

DMczaf

Nitro but no Thunder?

But what happens when Tony screams at me "See you Thursday on Thunder!" as Nitro signs off with nWo spray painting Flair for the 64th time?!

I think they will be very close by Summerslam. It's just a great value if you're a fan.

The problem is...

1. A lot of people probably only purchased it for Wrestlemania...

2. If they signed up in February at launch, the six month commitment ends just after Summerslam (that sneaky WWE). If people signed up just for Wrestlemania, then the subscriber amount will likely plummet after that.

turnbuckle

The problem is...

1. A lot of people probably only purchased it for Wrestlemania...

2. If they signed up in February at launch, the six month commitment ends just after Summerslam (that sneaky WWE). If people signed up just for Wrestlemania, then the subscriber amount will likely plummet after that.

I don't know how the PPV figures looked like in the past. Does Wrestlemania draw that many more viewers than the Survivor Series or Royal Rumble? Growing up, those two were always the must watch ones for me on PPV. I'd rent Wrestlemania when I was a kid if I didn't have another friend already getting it on PPV at their place.

Those anecdotes of mine mean nothing, just wondering. Some wrestlemanias were definitely must watches depending on the card, but I always loved the gimmick of survivor series and Royal Rumble.

Top Bottom