• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Royal Rumble '17 |OT| Follow The Buzzers

Status
Not open for further replies.
he's as tainted as Rocky Maivia was, but they changed Rocky and the rest is history, they didnt refuse to change the character and shove him down people's throats no matter the reactions.

Thats what I dont get,

Rock is the most charismatic man to ever step in a wrestling ring. He's an outlier. And also Vince didn't "make" Rock. Rocky Maivaia the babyface loser was his idea. Rock was something born in spite of Vince and creative.

orioto

Good Art™
Exactly.

What's the point of a poor mans Cena when you have actual Cena around?

They don't have a Cena or a Rock etc.. so they have to create it from scratch. Except it doesn't work. Cause those guys have something special to begin with.

They had some of those rare stones in the last 10 years but they treated them like shit and they fired them.

They don't want real charisma cause it's difficult to control.

Did you know that 7 of the wrestlers pretty much guaranteed to wrestle in wrestlemania(Goldberg, Brock, cena, big show, undertaker, triple h, randy Orton) wrestled in wrestlemania 20? 13 years ago? We are really moving foreword in the wwe with new talent!

...sigh

Because wrestling is about more than how many moves you do.

Some of the greatest matches in history involved nothing more than Jerry Lawler doing punches, kicks, a fistdrop, and a piledriver.

I think you missed my point friend. None of Cena or Roman's matches have any storytelling in them, it's a miracle if either of them remember to sell something throughout a feud.

Give me a run down of the stories told in Roman's last 5 PPV matches.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Pretty much this. Roman himself is fine (his biggest weakness is mic work, but he's good in the ring), and a lot of people really want to give him a chance. It's the way Vince uses him that pisses people off.

I don't think he's that bad on the mic, but he's not a good on his feet like a lot on the roster. He's certainly nowhere near Cena on the mic.

The problem is that he doesn't give a shit about anything. So why should people cheer him? Little kids are gonna cheer him because he's a good guy but others, not so much.

I think they really should have given him the US Open Challenge gimmick. Let him fight for something he cares about and hopefully the crowd ends up just as invested as well. He would have worked with a bunch of different people and he would have improved both on the mic and the ring.

That way when he's ready to move up the roster, he'll have people behind him. Sure he's going to have people booing him, but it won't be near universal like it is now.

Seriously, that US Open challenge did wonders for Cena. Maybe it could have worked for him.

I think you missed my point friend. None of Cena or Roman's matches have any storytelling in them, it's a miracle if either of them remember to sell something throughout a feud.

Give me a run down of the stories told in Roman's last 5 PPV matches.

That's because all of WWE wrestling has no storytelling in it. It's all bland spotty stuff storytelling wise 99.9% of the time, especially recently that is only elevated to good to great because of the immense talent of everybody in the ring (including Reigns) doing those spots, not because some great story has been laid out.

But, as far as Cena goes, his matches with Edge, Punk, Umaga, and the like all have solid stories. It's only when the WWE got infested with indy workers where he turned into PWG Cena doing all of these moves.

Favorite part of the Rumble: Luke Harper coming out and 50k fans quieter than a Corpus Christie crowd during a Main Event Match with John Cena

That's because all of WWE wrestling has no storytelling in it. It's all bland spotty stuff storytelling wise 99.9% of the time, especially recently that is only elevated to good to great because of the immense talent of everybody in the ring (including Reigns) doing those spots, not because some great story has been laid out.

So Roman has no moves and can't tell a story in the ring. What makes him good beyond doing the spots anybody on the roster could do given the opportunity? He's really fucking failing next to "Indie workers" like Bryan who had moves and managed to get the entire crowd on his side with his charisma/performance/mic work.

orioto

Good Art™

But, as far as Cena goes, his matches with Edge, Punk, Umaga, and the like all have solid stories. It's only when the WWE got infested with indy workers where he turned into PWG Cena doing all of these moves.

But good indie wrestlers and matches have moves AND stories. And story in wrestling is not only something super narrative like the Takeover main event for example or that famous Owens/Zayn. Story can be momentum, rythm, suspens... I'm bored in matches with none of those things, where it's flat. But Cena's match are never like that. Even against Great Kaly it was decent.

There is a wrestling grammar and it's not only "stories" in a narrative sense. Hogan for its time was great at pacing a match and giving the right momentum at the right time, it's music more than story!

Where the fuck do you think Punk came from?

and Cena's matches have been so much better since then too.

ReiGun

Were there really no surprise entrants in the Rumble?

Remember that great video that showed all of the surprise people in the Rumble from 2008-present? I guess they'll just skip this year.
The unannounced entrants:

Kalisto
Jack Gallagher
Mark Henry
Tye Dillinger
James Ellsworth
Apollo Crews
Enzo Amore
Roman Reigns

I'll admit I popped for Jack Gallagher....*shurg*

I don't think he's that bad on the mic, but he's not a good on his feet like a lot on the roster. He's certainly nowhere near Cena on the mic.

The problem is that he doesn't give a shit about anything. So why should people cheer him? Little kids are gonna cheer him because he's a good guy but others, not so much.

I think they really should have given him the US Open Challenge gimmick. Let him fight for something he cares about and hopefully the crowd ends up just as invested as well. He would have worked with a bunch of different people and he would have improved both on the mic and the ring.

That way when he's ready to move up the roster, he'll have people behind him. Sure he's going to have people booing him, but it won't be near universal like it is now.

Seriously, that US Open challenge did wonders for Cena. Maybe it could have worked for him.
Agreed. But I think it's too late. The US Open Challenge thing or some story of the sort is something that should have happened after the Shield broke up. Roman was put into a spot he wasn't ready for, fans turned on him, and now he continues to be misused by the company.

I really don't know how they could turn the ship around. Dude's damaged goods.

Were you excited?
I wouldn't have cared who won. Vince got the crowd reaction to the winner that he wanted.

I don't think Roman Reigns is salvageable. They've tried and failed too long. The boos will follow him.
I honestly don't think they have cared for a while.
Favorite part of the Rumble: Luke Harper coming out and 50k fans quieter than a Corpus Christie crowd during a Main Event Match with John Cena
it was hilarious...and sad because Luke is dope and looked amazing.

ElNarez

Banned
I don't think Roman Reigns is salvageable. They've tried and failed too long. The boos will follow him.

I mean the real problem, as shown in the KO match, is that his whole thing is that he just eats people's offense and it does nothing to him. And it's not just that he sucks at selling -which he does-, but also that he's booked in these matches where he takes spot after spot after spot like it's nothing. Which means it never looks like he's any real danger, which removes all urgency from his matches, and the fact they're pushing someone who's so fucking dull is what makes him poison to audiences.

Where the fuck do you think Punk came from?

Sure, but he's an outlier. Probably because he wasn't as good athletically as say, Crossfit Jesus. I mean, I don't think it's a coincidence that the three indie guys who have proven they can cut a good promo on the WWE level at times (Owens, Punk, Ambrose) are also the three guys who were the least athletically gifted among the top indy guys.

Takashi

I mean, I could agree with that, if people weren't championing other people like Rollins, Zayn, Cesaro, etc. who are also terrible on the mic.

Like, the people who want AJ to main event everything? That's a perfectly reasonable argument.

Hell, even Ambrose I can get even though he's kind of mediocre in the ring.

that's fair, the shield in general is kind of zzzzz

but part of it is that it seems blatantly obvious that out of all the mediocre mic guys, roman gets the most attention despite his lack of charisma. most of his angles involve the main title in some way. hell when he did the US title stint, he only defended it once before coming back to feud with KO for the big belt. at least cena elevated that shit for a time.

he needs to be off tv, lose some of that xpac heat, then come back repackaged as a heel

Toki767

Sure, but he's an outlier. Probably because he wasn't as good athletically as say, Crossfit Jesus. I mean, I don't think it's a coincidence that the three indie guys who have proven they can cut a good promo on the WWE level at times (Owens, Punk, Ambrose) are also the three guys who were the least athletically gifted among the top indy guys.

You think Kevin Owens is one of the least athletically gifted indie guys?

Lol you can't even keep your gimmick consistent... do you write for WWE.

You were bitching about Owens looking fat and talking about how important looks are but now you're happy he isn't fit?

ElNarez

Banned
Hey remember how Roman took brass knuckles to the fucking head, and it did absolutely nothing?

I mean fuck, the no DQ stip was the PERFECT excuse to have Kevin Owens win, and he was an afterthought in the finish of that match.

Jesse constantly shifts what makes a good WWE wrestler everytime it's pointed out that Reigns fails his criteria... except for the Gary Strydom rule.... which I guess makes Chris Masters a legend.

He's beefy and looks good on a poster, and that's enough for Jesse apparently.

No, Reigns can tell a story in the ring (see Reigns/Lesnar), he just isn't told too most of the time. Which is a failing, but it's also a failing the rest of the roster has. Just like he doesn't stand up to Vince when it comes to promos.

I mean, again, if there was somebody out there cutting these great promos and matches, but who didn't have the look, I'd say give 'em a shot. That's why I'm all for pushing AJ hard as hell. Because he's a good promo, good in the ring, and pretty decent on the mic.

But, all the people Roman is supposedly burying? I just don't see them lighting up the ratings any more than Reigns.

Also, Masters matured into a very good worker.

Lol you can't even keep your gimmick consistent... do you write for WWE.

You were bitching about Owens looking fat and talking about how important looks are but now you're happy he isn't fit?

I'm still saying he's fat and doesn't have the look, but one positive of that is that he did learn how to cut a decent promo. Now, if only he could lose some weight and/or get more Vader-ish, there'd be something there.

Apparently I have to wait 24 hours to watch RR on the network because of something called Ten Sports. Avoided the results all night just to get swerved at the end!!

No, Reigns can tell a story in the ring (see Reigns/Lesnar), he just isn't told too most of the time. Which is a failing, but it's also a failing the rest of the roster has. Just like he doesn't stand up to Vince when it comes to promos.

I mean, again, if there was somebody out there cutting these great promos and matches, but who didn't have the look, I'd say give 'em a shot. That's why I'm all for pushing AJ hard as hell.

But, all the people Roman is supposedly burying? I just don't see them lighting up the ratings any more than Reigns.

Also, Masters matured into a very good worker.

Reigns/Lesnar?

You mean Lesnar suplexes Reigns 50 times and then sells for Reigns for maybe 3 minutes before Rollins comes out to bring it home.

It was fun because Lesnar doing his thing is great and seeing Reigns tossed around was cathartic but that was not story telling.

Masters matured into a solid midcarder...

Nak/Roode was storytelling, The Pete Dunne stuff and the Tyler Bate stuff from the UK tournament was storytelling

Apparently I have to wait 24 hours to watch RR on the network because of something called Ten Sports. Avoided the results all night just to get swerved at the end!!

I was just about to mention this too

What kind of carny shit is this? I missed the earlier matches and now I have wait until tomorrow when I dont care anymore.

fuckmetheygotmymoney.gif

orioto

Good Art™
Hey remember how Roman took brass knuckles to the fucking head, and it did absolutely nothing?

I mean fuck, the no DQ stip was the PERFECT excuse to have Kevin Owens win, and he was an afterthought in the finish of that match.

Again, it's always about everyone focusing on match's ending.. all the time.. Owens was basically the star of that match for 20+ minutes, but Reigns kicked out from a brass knuckle and wasn't pinned so now Owens basically didn't exist in that match.

I can also tell you the wiki page will tell us, in 10 years, Owens beat Reigns many times for the belt and stayed champ for 7 month, after being on RAW for not even a year. And nobody will remember the details.

That said i hope someone remember that bump cause it was one of the sickest i've seen. If i was the boss of them i wouldn't have allowed that shit. There was no way to control how the chair would move and what would be under his back when reaching the ground..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom