• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Royal Rumble '17 |OT| Follow The Buzzers

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunBR

Is there any reason storyline wise that Roman was in the Rumble? Usually if you're in a title match you're not in the Rumble.

Will Vince ever realize that Roman is just not gonna happen? He must be seething that it's 4 years of people rejecting the Roman project.
Cesaro and Sheamus fight for the belt and at the Rumble too
And Balor is still injured (real or kayfabe, I don't know), Rollins was banned and Samoa Joe don't exist on the main roster storyline yet
So if wasn't Roman they would have to give the spot to Fandango or Titus

That's the storyline reason

And Vince will never give up on Roman. Two main events and now fighting against Taker. Probably next year he will beat The Rock, or go against Cena after eliminating 20 wrestlers at Rumble, or finally get his win against Brock

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Yeah must be a glitch seems like every video on the network is blocked due to blackout.

I get a blackout message when I try to watch the stream, but I clicked on a random video and It's ok.

That's weird.

For the record Reigns should absolutely go over Taker at Mania.

Because
1) Fuck Taker in 2017
2) The Crowd reaction to it will be incredible

I almost want them to not turn Reigns heel after putting him over Taker at mania just to see the reactions afterwards.

Looking at the logic of the Smackdown booking on the show, it doesn't really make a lot of sense.

You have to figure there are two logical options at this point: Orton/Cena or Orton/Bray.

If it's Orton/Cena:

dsppntmnt.gif

If it's Ortan/Bray:

giphy.gif

I think Orton and Bray will put on a good match with months of storyline build to. It makes perfect sense. But then why have Cena go over AJ and why have Orton win the Rumble and not Bray?

If Cena is just going to drop the belt in two weeks anyway, why give AJ the loss? The win doesn't help Cena any and just makes that promo against AJ earlier this week hurt AJ even more.

Orton also didn't need the Rumble win any, but it would have greatly benefited Bray who could use a solid singles victory under his belt, and then save his first title win for Wrestlemania.

I'm not going to bother looking at the logic of the Raw booking, because they don't care about logic over there anyway.

Syder

It was a solid Rumble, if you didn't walk in thinking that Balor, Nakamura, Joe, and Angle were all appearing. Then again, most Rumbles aren't good, so it isn't a high bar.
No one seriously thought they were all appearing.

Fantasy booking not becoming reality isn't the reason people feel sour about the PPV. It's the pure contempt for fans shown by throwing Roman out at #30 for no reason other than putting fucking Blandy Bore-ton over.

The point at the rumble where all of the full time jabroni's were lying on the mat while the part timers got all of the excitement was fucking hilarious

and it's also the 2nd time in a row where people cheer a rumble winner they don't actually like just because it's not roman

horrible.

ReiGun

It really was. I'm not sure if his chest saved him or it became even more caved in.
It didn't even look cool. It just looked like it hurt.

Doesn't seem like they put a lot of thought into it aside from "which part of the ring have you not been at yet?"
I thought maybe they were setting up him and Xavier to do something cool when they were both on the apron, but nope.

What was it this time?

https://twitter.com/totaldivaseps/status/825902267681353731

Looking at the logic of the Smackdown booking on the show, it doesn't really make a lot of sense.

You have to figure there are two logical options at this point: Orton/Cena or Orton/Bray.

If it's Orton/Cena:

dsppntmnt.gif

If it's Ortan/Bray:

giphy.gif

I think Orton and Bray will put on a good match with months of storyline build to. It makes perfect sense. But then why have Cena go over AJ and why have Orton win the Rumble and not Bray?

If Cena is just going to drop the belt in two weeks anyway, why give AJ the loss. The win doesn't help Cena any and just makes that promo against AJ earlier this week hurt AJ even more.

Orton also didn't need the Rumble win any, but it would have greatly benefited Bray who could use a solid singles victory under his belt, and then save his first title win for Wrestlemania.

I'm not going to bother looking at the logic of the Raw booking, because they don't care about logic over there anyway.

Because Orton is winning at Mania as the face who infiltrated and destroyed the Wyatts (all two of em) from within and the cap off to that is a big title win for Orton at Mania.

Orton btw is actually over again thanks to this program with Bray... not that he should win the title at Mania but he is over

No one seriously thought they were all appearing.

Fantasy booking not becoming reality isn't the reason people feel sour about the PPV. It's the pure contempt for fans shown by throwing Roman out at #30 for no reason other than putting fucking Blandy Bore-ton over.

I mean, I'll be blunt here - why shouldn't Vince have contempt for a bunch of fans who keep on whining about how they hate the company, but keep on watching, keep on giving him money, keep on buying expensive packages to PPV's, and keep on wanting indy stars to come to the WWE.

The fans who have actually stopped watching because of Reigns being pushed down your throat or other booking issues? I respect that. I disagree on some of the merits, but I respect it.

OTOH, if you're still giving Vince McMahon money at this point, I don't know why you think things are going to change.

Kaiterra

Banned
If Cena is just going to drop the belt in two weeks anyway, why give AJ the loss? The win doesn't help Cena any and just makes that promo against AJ earlier this week hurt AJ even more.

Probably just booking around the dumbass rematch clause.

It didn't even look cool. It just looked like it hurt.

https://twitter.com/totaldivaseps/status/825902267681353731

Ah holy christ ow you're right.

I mean, I'll be blunt here - why shouldn't Vince have contempt for a bunch of fans who keep on whining about how they hate the company, but keep on watching, keep on giving him money, keep on buying expensive packages to PPV's, and keep on wanting indy stars to come to the WWE.

The fans who have actually stopped watching because of Reigns being pushed down your throat or other booking issues? I respect that. I disagree on the merits, but I respect it.

OTOH, if you're still giving Vince McMahon money at this point, I don't know why you think things are going to change.

This is truth.

Toki767

Because Orton is winning at Mania as the face who infiltrated and destroyed the Wyatts (all two of em) from within and the cap off to that is a big title win for Orton at Mania.

Orton btw is actually over again thanks to this program with Bray... not that he should win the title at Mania but he is over

He's only winning the title to feud with Styles I imagine.

Tall4Life

Again 1995 told a complete story. Hbk vs Bulldog from start to finish.... a good Rumble isn't just about who is in it.

That was literally the only thing in that match, and personally it wasn't that compelling. I'm not impressed that Bulldog and HBK outlasted KWANG to make it to the final two.

Probably just booking around the dumbass rematch clause.

I actually think they originally were making #16 a big deal because Cena was going to beat 'Taker at WM for the #16 or something big like that (back when 'Taker was actually going to be around more), but then plans changed.

Now, #17 becomes the huge deal.

DJChuy

I think we've established pretty firmly that Reigns is not Cena.

You'd be surprised when the Guy gets the pop tomorrow night. From what I've experienced, the crowd here plays along: cheers the faces and boos the heels. I'll be surprised if Roman gets booed tomorrow.

That was literally the only thing in that match, and personally it wasn't that compelling. I'm not impressed that Bulldog and HBK outlasted KWANG to make it to the final two.

It was the thing in that match.

It had a thing... and it built on that thing. Tons of Rumbles have no things. This one for example.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
You know, the more I think about it, the more I think Roman coming in at 30 was a rib on the the fans who thought Samoa Joe was making his debut tonight. They could have put Roman at any other spot and the match would have gone practically the same way. Hell the match wouldn't have been shitted on as much if someone else came in at 30, even if it's someone they knew was coming like Taker or Goldberg.

They were definitely laughing in Gorilla.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think Roman coming in at 30 was a rib on the the fans who thought Samoa Joe was making his debut tonight. They could have put Roman at any other spot and the match would have gone practically the same way. Hell the match wouldn't have been shitted on as much if someone else came in at 30, even if it's someone they knew was coming like Taker or Goldberg.

They were definitely laughing in Gorilla.

Nah, I think the other guy had it right pages back. If say, the last three were Orton, Wyatt, and I don't know, Dean Ambrose, there's a chance that people would turn on the match once Ambrose was tossed out.

OTOH, with Roman being in there, everybody pops because Roman's not winning. It's basically a repeat of the Batista/Roman dynamic with Roman being in the Batista role.

Syder

why shouldn't Vince have contempt for a bunch of fans who keep on whining about how they hate the company, but keep on watching, keep on giving him money, keep on buying expensive packages to PPV's, and keep on wanting indy stars to come to the WWE.
because they're literally keeping his company alive.

GunBR

The point at the rumble where all of the full time jabroni's were lying on the mat while the part timers got all of the excitement was fucking hilarious

and it's also the 2nd time in a row where people cheer a rumble winner they don't actually like just because it's not roman

horrible.
I disagree
For me Orton is really boring, but he's over with the crowd at the moment

Most of people will cheer when (if?) he beats Bray at Mania

First, Taker needs to retire. It's time. Second, I really think some of you should just stop watching. I'm all for analyzing things after, but some of you all just seem to hate everything. Why keep watching? I enjoy the good and the bad. Everything can't be a 10 all the time. These men and women do amazing things every week. And even when I think a match is weak, there are always parts in every match that are fun to watch. 5 hours of great entertainment this weekend with Takeover and The Rumble, good job WWE.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Nah, I think the other guy had it right pages back. If say, the last three were Orton, Wyatt, and I don't know, Dean Ambrose, there's a chance that people would turn on the match once Ambrose was tossed out.

OTOH, with Roman being in there, everybody pops because Roman's not winning. It's basically a repeat of the Batista/Roman dynamic with Roman being in the Batista role.

Oh yeah I agree with Roman being the fall guy tonight. I actually posted that a few pages back. I think it's weird he came out at 30 of all numbers, but that probably made it easier for people to cheer for Orton when he eliminated Roman.

Heroman

Banned
First, Taker needs to retire. It's time. Second, I really think some of you should just stop watching. I'm all for analyzing things after, but some of you all just seem to hate everything. Why keep watching? I enjoy the good and the bad. Everything can't be a 10 all the time. These men and women do amazing things every week. And even when I think a match is weak, there are always parts in every match that are fun to watch. 5 hours of great entertainment this weekend with Takeover and The Rumble, good job WWE.
Because people have standard, I mean early this month NJPW had one of the greatest ppv in pro wrestling history and WWE has the talent to each match that but they fall so far below it. Like there is to much good wrestling to overlook the shit WWE does for the occasional good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom