• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Royal Rumble '17 |OT| Follow The Buzzers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
honestly I would have preferred if corbin even won. Story wise it makes sense for him and cena to lock up because him, Aj and Cena had a little fued going before this event

ElNarez

Banned
Again, it's always about everyone focusing on match's ending.. all the time.. Owens was basically the star of that match for 20+ minutes, but Reigns kicked out from a brass knuckle and wasn't pinned so now Owens basically didn't exist in that match.

It's one example, among many in that match. Roman took beatdown after beatdown from KO and it did nothing. What it took for the match to end was Braun coming in.

How does this not make KO look like even more of a chump? He can't win on his own even when the rules allow him to be as much of a bad guy as possible.

UberTag

Roman is legitimately a great talent.
He actually is. That's the sad part. I mean, he has weaknesses but he's a quality guy that can go. Especially for his size. It's just that he's been hamstrung by the worst gimmick and most decidedly stubborn booking in the HISTORY of this entire industry.

This is like the Lex Express if it lasted 3 1/2 years.

VoxPop

It's one example, among many in that match. Roman took beatdown after beatdown from KO and it did nothing. What it took for the match to end was Braun coming in.

How does this not make KO look like even more of a chump? He can't win on his own even when the rules allow him to be as much of a bad guy as possible.

Yeah that was pretty stupid af. Owens does all the stupid spots with the chairs and silly body splash through the table along with the plethora of whatever other offense he had. Braun comes in an clowns Reigns in 20 seconds. They really need to change up the entire system and make it more believable somehow. Like how doing one extra flip in the air someone makes it more painful than a body splash? Ffs.

If they had it all to do over again, the thing that makes the most sense when the Shield broke up was to have Roman be Seth's partner/backup/bodyguard and just recreate the HBK/Diesel thing.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Agreed. But I think it's too late. The US Open Challenge thing is something that should have happened after the Shield broke up. Roman was put into a spot he wasn't ready for, fans turned on him, and now he continues to be misused by the company.

I really don't know how they could turn the ship around. Dude's damaged goods.

I actually had an Idea a few years back that Rusev should have eliminated Roman at the 2015 rumble. They could have played it off as Roman not having a good rumble as last year's because of his Injury.

It could have set up a match at Wrestlemania and you'll have Reigns beat Rusev's streak and defend it all year.

Fun Fact: I actually added up the days and it turns out if Reigns won the US title at Mania 31, he would have tied with Dean's 351 day reign at a Raw 2 weeks before Mania 32. That would have been a good way to main event a Raw and maybe set up a program with them at Mania. Will Roman beat Dean and his record? Will Dean turn heel to protect his record (even though he didn't really give a shit about the title when he had it but still)? A bunch of possibilities that could have really helped that Wrestlemania card. Hell, along the way, you could still have Roman Reigns on Good Morning America. You could have him say "Hey, Raw's on tonight on USA and I'm defending this US Championship I'd had for (whatever) days and I want to go into Wrestlemania with it."

I get sad whenever I think about it. :(

orioto

Good Art™

That's your distorted vision of it.
That match lasted more than 20 minutes. Owens took many many bumps. Was he pined ? I can say the exact same thing. The match was not showing one stronger than the other, except for Roman super resistance sometimes, but that's the character. He's a super hero for kid damn it, that's not hard to get. They need those shit to sell toys. So yeah, he looked super human at some point.

But in that context, Owens didn't look weak at all wrestling that super human for 20 minutes, beating the shit out of him at times and surviving tough bumps.

In the end he took ONE punch that made him fall in his own trap, that was set up at the beginning of the match. Which is basically a strategic twist and a perfectly acceptable story.

You want the story to be "Super strong Reigns humiliated ridiculous cheap heel Owens", but i'm sorry, the story of that match, objectively, is "Talented and tough Owens stayed on super human Reigns level for 20 minutes but a miscalculation cost him the match in the end" except Stroman arrived after that.

Syder

He's a generic hoss straight out of the 2006 OVW era that gets winded 10 mins into a match and needs to get carried by some of the best wrestlers on the planet to get matches somewhat decent. Fuck him.
Yeah, he sucks. Punching a lot doesn't make someone a great talent.
They've given PPV main events to people with 10% of Roman Reigns' ability though.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't choose his moveset or to come out in that Godawful vest.

His match tonight and his matches with AJ were legitimately great matches in spite of the Superman Punch spam.

GunBR

Except for Braun all the heels of the company are supposed to be weak and coward
Even AJ. Don't forget that he never beat Ambrose clean, for example.

It's dumb IMO, but that's the way they do

DJChuy

How are the Raws after Rumble? I'm going tomorrow, and we might be the only city to cheer Reign. I mean Cena got a great pop the last time he wrestled here.

That's your distorted vision of it.
That match lasted more than 20 minutes. Owens took many many bumps. Was he pined ? I can say the exact same thing. The match was not showing one stronger than the other, except for Roman super resistance sometimes, but that's the character. He's a super hero for kid damn it, that's not hard to get. They need those shit to sell toys. So yeah, he looked super human at some point.

But in that context, Owens didn't look weak at all wrestling that super human for 20 minutes, beating the shit out of him at times and surviving tough bumps.

In the end he took ONE punch that made him fall in his own trap, that was set up at the beginning of the match. Which is basically a strategic twist and a perfectly acceptable story.

You want the story to be "Super strong Reigns humiliated ridiculous cheap heel Owens", but i'm sorry, the story of that match, objectively, is "Talented and tough Owens stayed on super human Reigns level for 20 minutes but a miscalculation cost him the match in the end" except Stroman arrived after that.
No one is even talking about Owens winning. They're just rushing in to say what they thought Roman did wrong.

Is there any reason storyline wise that Roman was in the Rumble? Usually if you're in a title match you're not in the Rumble.

Will Vince ever realize that Roman is just not gonna happen? He must be seething that it's 4 years of people rejecting the Roman project.

Toki767

Is there any reason storyline wise that Roman was in the Rumble? Usually if you're in a title match you're not in the Rumble.

The establishment is so against him that he gets given the #30 spot.

I half expect tomorrow for Foley to tell Stephanie that he gave Reigns a spot in the Rumble.

And then for Stephanie to yell at him.

orioto

Good Art™
No one is even talking about Owens winning. They're just rushing in to say what they thought Roman did wrong.

But they all act like this match was Roman not selling anything and Owens punching into a wall the whole time, when the match was actually pretty heaven.. Not long befoer the end they even had a spot where they did trade punches etc.. I mean people are always making things worst than they are. They are always acting like Owens is made a chump cause of the finish, when he had matches where he destroyed Reigns or Rollins for 70% of the time.

But this one was actually good cause it was heaven and well balanced.

Toki767

Anybody else network just crapped out on them? I can't watch on my pc because of a blackout(I'm in Chicago) and not on my ps4

It seems like the Network is just going to be down for the next 4 hours or so. Because they're set to replay the Rumble but the blackout prevents them from doing so.

Geniuses.

joker3782

Neo Member
Oh man what sucks about this rumble event is that the last 10-15 minutes ruined what was a great show. Bayley Charlotte was decent. I thought Owens Roman was a good match with some good spots, questionable ending aside. Cruiserweight match had some good spots but was laregly forgettable outside of Neville winning the belt (this probably being the worst match of the night). Cena AJ was a fantastic match. Early contender for match of the year (although I think Okada Omega was better). Those two put on one hell of match to the point that I wasn't mad that Cena won clean. It makes me mad that didn't main event mania. Then the rumble happened. I thought the rumble match was enjoyable up until Roman came out. Its like all the good vibes left the room and just bullshit ensued. Randy didn't need another Rumble win. If the plan is Bray vs Orton then the title isn't needed. If thats not the plan then please don't give us Orton Cena. If the whole thing about Vince (or someone) saying that they need to try and match Okada Omega for mania is true, then I can actually see Vince think that Cena Orton is going to be a match for Okada Omega. And that is just sad. Man WWE could have made this Rumble something to remember but they WWE'd it and had Roman ruin everything.

Will Vince ever realize that Roman is just not gonna happen? He must be seething that it's 4 years of people rejecting the Roman project.
Vince wanted Orton to be cheered and he got it. I don't think Vince cares about some people in crowds rejecting Roman.
Anybody else network just crapped out on them? I can't watch on my pc because of a blackout(I'm in Chicago) and not on my ps4
I'm getting the blackout message too. No clue why.

But they all act like this match was Roman not selling anything and Owens punching into a wall the whole time, when the match was actually pretty heaven.. Not long befoer the end they even had a spot where they did trade punches etc.. I mean people are always making things worst than they are. They are always acting like Owens is made a chump cause of the finish, when he had matches where he destroyed Reigns or Rollins for 70% of the time.

But this one was actually good cause it was heaven and well balanced.
Yeah...I don't get it.

Caderfix

What is false? Roman's a great worker by any measure, he's not a worse promo than other IWC darlings, and frankly, he isn't being pushed hard enough and has taken too many losses.

Once you account for that, there's only two reasons left.

1.) He hasn't "earned" his spot by wrestling in front of 500 fans and breaking his neck doing so for a decade.

2.) He took away Bryan's WM spot.

Sorry, but if you honestly think that is the reason you are completely clueless. How about a never ending push, berely ever losing clean? How about the bad booking that causes him to win in the most ridiculous ways possible? How about the bad scripted promos? How about the no selling? How about a bunch of other reasons? Have you ever thought about any of that?

I couldn't care less about wrestling in the indies, hell, I like Braun Stroman and Corbin, and don't even care about Daniel Bryan's elimination, and still, Roman sucks, not the performer, Roman the characyer sucks.

He can wrestle and I don't doubt he can cut promos, but, can't you honestly even try to actually understand that not everyone is a mindless hater (my new most hated word) or are you just trying to push the most dickish narrative possible to "work marks into a shoot" because you don't have anything better to do?

You are entitled to your opinion, and I respect that for sure, but when you start acting like you do, you just sound like a prick.

To set up Roman/Taker, because beating Taker is for sure going to finally get Roman over.

Vince wanted Orton to be cheered and he got it. I don't think Vince cares about some people in crowds rejecting Roman.

I'm getting the blackout message too. No clue why.

I think Orton would've been cheered regardless. Despite his role with the Wyatts, he gets babyface reactions in second to AJ.

Toki767

Your $9.99 at work. This is bullshit indeed.

I received an error message indicating that a program has been blacked out.

At times, certain WWE Network programming may not be available in your area due to agreements with local TV distributors. However, you can always access the most comprehensive video-on-demand library with more than 3,700 hours of WWE content, including exclusive original programming, documentaries, specials, and every WWE, WCW™ and ECW™ pay-per-view.

Current regional blackout restrictions are listed below:

Indian subcontinent (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, and the Maldives)

**Pay-per-views will be available on WWE Network on demand 24 hours after premiering on Ten Sports.

Apparently according to this, it's only meant for those countries and not everyone.

It was a solid Rumble, if you didn't walk in thinking that Balor, Nakamura, Joe, and Angle were all appearing. Then again, most Rumbles aren't good, so it isn't a high bar.

Nah it wasn't that for me at all. It was just a slow and boring. The long stage was fucking comical but absolutely hurt the pace of the match too.

The Rumble was fine till Braun left. Absolutely dead until Lesnar and pretty much died again as soon as Goldberg took him out.

They had exactly one long form story in the Rumble: Jericho being a smart heel and it had zero payoff as Jericho who was playing it smart the entire match inexplicably went for a top rope move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom