• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X Rebirth |OT| Back In The Womb With You

Zafir

Getting rather sick of Deep Silver and their region locking of keys in countries which all pay a similar price anyway. Bought a key from Gamersgate and it just says it's not available in your country even though it quite clearly is as it's on the front of the damn steam page.

Terra

Oh my...it really made my 560m work. =(

Have no problem running Skyrim and Borderlands 2 on very high. But X:Rebirth is almost unplayable...I hope for better future compatibility.

Darklord

Banned
Damn, reading this thread it definitely seems like it would be best to wait a few months and let the patches roll out. Maybe when the steam sales start. I remember X3 being VERY unoptimized and resource hungry but they eventually fixed it up.

Perkel

Banned
Damn, reading this thread it definitely seems like it would be best to wait a few months and let the patches roll out. Maybe when the steam sales start. I remember X3 being VERY unoptimized and resource hungry but they eventually fixed it up.

Definitely game needs some serious patching. After that UI needs to be reworked. I tried to find my ship and apparently there is 0 information where your ship is. You need to manually scan all green sectors to find it...

I can't grasp how you will be able to manage other ships when you will get stations and ships.

DeaviL

Banned
I'm just glad that these guys usually support their games with patches for some time, otherwise this would have been a lost cause.

SmartBase

Ugh I have a similar setup with a 7950 instead of the 670, and it chugs at 1080p in space, inside is 60fps, weird ass performance variations =/

Weird. I found that alt-tabbing can also mess up the framerate, looks like a frame lock or something.

Definitely game needs some serious patching. After that UI needs to be reworked. I tried to find my ship and apparently there is 0 information where your ship is. You need to manually scan all green sectors to find it...

I can't grasp how you will be able to manage other ships when you will get stations and ships.

In your property menu find your ship's name and choose the end option (SM), that opens up a sector/zone map with your ship highlighted. Not ideal but it helps.

CTLance

Dammit, my CE is stuck.

ranting and raving like a madman said:
Logs show they tried to deliver yesterday at half past seven in the morning (YEAH RIGHT, like I believe that). Fucker didn't even deliver a notification. Seems logical though, seeing as I was awake and waiting and nobody rang my thrice-darned doorbell. Now I have to wait till Monday at the earliest. Support said Tuesday was more likely.
My feelings right now:
t62xlrY.gif

Seriously, fuck that shit.

I've got half a mind to just cancel that order and wait things out, considering the state the game appears to be in. Yikes. :-/

Daedardus

Dammit, my CE is stuck.

I've got half a mind to just cancel that order and wait things out, considering the state the game appears to be in. Yikes. :-/

The guy fucking knew the game was bugged, so he deliberately made is so that you would only get it when the worst bugs get fixed.

Twinduct

Man of all the games that get second screen support, this game would benefit the most of having some tablet app to run certain stuff with.

gotee12

I definitely understand X vets complaints about this game feeling like it's been built with a console release in mind. But if I'm honest, I'm really enjoying playing this on the couch with nothing more than a controller in hand. #partoftheproblem

TheTrain

I definitely understand X vets complaints about this game feeling like it's been built with a console release in mind.

Oh god, stop pls. I read this every time a pc exclusive comes out. For now, all talk about Rebirth after 2 hours of gameplay aka oh-i-see-tutorial-is-ez!
orly?

epmode

heh apparently game is 32bit....

Yeah, this is amazing too. You'd think a developer would want to future proof their game. Especially a dev like Egosoft that will almost certainly use Rebirth as a starting point for a lot of expansions in the years to come.

KPJZKC

Bit sad to read all this, but if I can offer a glass half full, it'd be...uh...

...at least it's not Sword of the Stars 2, right?

And thank god for that, would have demanded a refund immediately if this was the case.

Can you elaborate on that? If the .exe is 64 bit and it can use more memory than 4 GB RAM that's essentially 64 bit, no?

It can't use more than 4GB RAM.

For clarification, it's a 32bit executable that requires a 64bit OS so that it can allocate more than the usual limit of RAM (2GB). However, from what I understand, it still can't go past the 3.5GB or so limit. Very, very strange design decision considering they finally embraced multicore.

KPJZKC

I hope they do not do this. Is a responsibility of the developer fix the game, not the mods.

I sort of agree with you, besides, the damage done to the UI/controls over property in this game may not be fixable by mods - only by the devs themselves.

FloatOn

Man I really want to like this game but it just doesn't perform that well on my machine and aside from all of that some of the UI text is just too tiny to play this on the tv.

I suppose I'll leave this installed for when/if the patches roll out. I have every confidence there is a good game under all of these technical issues.

wsippel

Banned
I don't get it. The game performs like ass, yet it doesn't seem to put any load on my system. CPU and GPU stay cool, the fans never spin up.

KPJZKC

I don't get it. The game performs like ass, yet it doesn't seem to put any load on my system. CPU and GPU stay cool, the fans never spin up.

There was somebody on the forum suggesting that it could simply be bad multi-threading - he was claiming that neither his GPU/CPU were hitting max load, and he was still getting terrible fps, so his hypothesis was that some of the threads are blocked when they shouldn't be, and interfering with the running of others.

If you haven't bought X Rebirth yet, you should probably wait a while till they work out some of the bugs/performance issues. I can run the game fairly well, but I have hit the energy cell buying mission bug. Gonna shelve it until they get it sorted out. I was enjoying it, hopefully I'll be able to enjoy it more soon.

If you're stuck on the energy trade mission, there is a workaround from here:

-open your savegame file in wordpad for example
-ctrl+f to open a searchbox and type "shopping"
-delete the lines between the shopping entries
-save and reload

Once back in the game reissue the order to trade and it'll kick in.

Perkel

Banned
There was somebody on the forum suggesting that it could simply be bad multi-threading - he was claiming that neither his GPU/CPU were hitting max load, and he was still getting terrible fps, so his hypothesis was that some of the threads are blocked when they shouldn't be, and interfering with the running of others.

It is 99% either Distance View slider not working and it is set default at 100% or Occlusion culling doesn't work.

I personalty thing it is both at the same time. This is especially noticeable when you will go to your crew deck = game runs 50-60FPS for me, stations = 15-24 same as you would fly near it.

As of first you can see clearly every little ship out there regardless of your distance view. This may be connected simply with Draw Call budget which is blown up by rendering everything in view including hundreds of ships + super complex stations at the same time which is why there is no really any difference if you run R290 or like me HD6870.

If i choose everything on max or everything on min difference is like 2-3 fps same with my resolution i can switch from 1280x720 to 1920x1080 without really any drop in FPS.

Game has obviously somewhere bottleneck which is why i think like i mentioned it is Distance view/Occlusion problem connected with too much draw call because of that.

If it is what i am talking about fix is possible and performance should improve like a lot.

Hellers

I gave up on the campaign and tried a free play game. You start in a sector with your ship and 100k credits. No freighter or extras.

So I started looking around to see how the trading works. There seems to be two types. Stuff on the outside of stations that you need a freighter for and the NPCs inside that you can use your main ship for.

So I start trying to figure out the dynamics of the sort of trading I have available and I head off on a grand tour to see what's what. At the end of it (4 hours in) I have to confess that I have no clue at all. Pricing seems to be so variable as to be almost random. Half the NPCs don't function either. At a basic level these games are about supply and demand. Back in the day with Elite it was pretty simple. You could buy food cheap from an agri planet and sell it at an industrial one. In X-R I just cannot figure out how things fit together and there seem to be no tools available to help me figure it out ingame.

In the end I took some advice from the Egosoft forums and went hunting junk with my long range scanner. Got to 384k selling the stuff from that (Which was quite entertaining despite not being what I signed up for) and then my saved game bugged. It loads, the game world is active but you can't move or activate any controls. Like a space Stephen Hawking. There's a thread about it on the forums.

Also the bug where when you enter the cockpit and none of your active displays work (So you can't set waypoints and check inventory and stuff) is hitting me hard. 9/10 times I enter the cockpit it bugs and the workaround (Leave the cockpit and come back in) only works 1/10 times.

Given how much pride Egosoft have in their games I can only assume it's Deep Silver's fault that it was pushed out in such an utterly broken state. It's a shame because flying around in my ship with the 360 pad is a very pleasant experience.

efeman

Banned
I just noticed something REALLY strange, potentially with collision detection.
I'm putting the images as text links, because I can't figure out how to make it auto-resize the image and expand on click like it does in some other people's posts.

Here's the setup: standing in the Skunk while out in space (i.e. not landed).
http://i.imgur.com/pyeZclT.png

Here, I've moved forward and am facing right up against the ladder such that I'm perpendicular to it (won't move side to side if I walk forward). Notice the framerate.
http://i.imgur.com/frM0UFO.png

I'm in the same spot, now just pressing W to move forward. Framerate tanks 15-20fps along with GPU usage.
http://i.imgur.com/0J5x9ba.png

Same thing happens while landed somewhere, just with lower framerates. I'm not saying this is the cause of the performance issues or anything, but it could be impacting it if it's something that happens on a wide basis.

If you haven't bought X Rebirth yet, you should probably wait a while till they work out some of the bugs/performance issues. I can run the game fairly well, but I have hit the energy cell buying mission bug. Gonna shelve it until they get it sorted out. I was enjoying it, hopefully I'll be able to enjoy it more soon.
I don't know if it will help you or if you'd rather ait for a patch but the steam forums have been fairly active with the developers working on the problems.

Energy cell story mission:
Originally posted by Aristagoras:
If you experience the dreaded "TOO MANY TASKS" error simply open your savegame (documents/egosoft/XRebirth/12345/save) in any XML-capable editor, search for OWNER="PLAYER" (no caps) and then just find your energy trader. There shouldn't be too many entries for your property. Go to the [trade] and then [shopping] section, delete those three (!) trade orders, save the file.
Reload the savegame, issue the trade order for e-cells, done. That actually worked for me - finished the mission in less than 5 minutes. This is more or less a workaround for the coming CANCEL button in the trade menu ;)
source
preview edit: beaten
Reading the comments about Egsoft and the community, and someone mentioned here the hypocrisy of not supporting the game at full retail, I'm getting it and hoping its playable in the near future. This is a large undertaking and if there isn't interest shown for such things, perhaps publishers will say "why bother with this genre, its too difficult to pull off." Its a little hyperbolic, I've felt really burned pre-ordering a couple games that will go unnamed and can also sympathize with the feeling that "if the product isn't ready then delay the delivery (although the date is contractually locked with many parties, right[?])." These games might not get proper distribution due to an indirect affect of the same consequences of both gamers' spite and the industry's cost-benefit assessments. I'm still not preordering and maybe this is somewhat of an irrational purchasing decision but I'm justifying it as an investment in both the games, and in general the genre's, improvement.

Game wants me to hire a defense officer. only one i found in 30min at this station can't be hired.

This game really isn't doing a great job of easing in newbies lol

Perkel

Banned
Ok i see few people have problem with that 100 Energy Cell mission.

This is why it doesn't work like it should:

There is queue of Energy Transportation ships and when you decide to trade with that station your ship will be last in that queue. This may take even real time hour because each ship need to dock first which can take even 5 minutes.
For some people it works ok because queue was small for other people they wait forever because queue is long.

To deal with quick you must:

- Go to other sector and wait there for your Energy ship to pick up Energy Cells. This may take while but it will be a lot faster than normal waiting in line.

This is why they proposed mission after you put trade order.

--------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------

I got finally to other galaxy part (?) via Jump Gate (not highway) and.....

Daaaaaaaaaamn this game looks just amazing
I know shit performance and all but fuck me sideways if this doesn't look amazing:

It perfectly scratches my space exploration itch

+ Planets are actually big 3D objects.
+ Those highway > Superhighway > Jumpgate is really good design. After playing X3 TC and AP i hated those constant loading upon jump. Here everthing including Jump Gate is seamless.
+ Every rock you see on those screens above is minable or can be destroyed.

Perkel

Banned
i really wish i could change fov.

And i think the game bugged out for me. the whole right side of ship menu thing is gone.

Did you try to reload game ? Or maybe try to go to station walk there and come back to ship.

-----------------
-----------------

I played few more missions and i can safely say that X:Rebirth is easily in FreeSpace 2 cup of good exciting mission and from story telling side of things it is even better as you talk with characters that actually have interesting things to say. Also i like those encyclopedia type of cutscenes presenting how world has changed and how they describe different factions.

So far only that initial 100 cell trading mission was shitty. Rest of them definetely are top notch compared to other space sim games.

In summary X:Rebirth lost that fugly X1-3 mission design and reached maturity.

I just hope end game will be the same as X3.

Score from me:
At start 5/10
Now 8/10

Did you try to reload game ? Or maybe try to go to station walk there and come back to ship.

-----------------
-----------------

I played few more missions and i can safely say that X:Rebirth is easily in FreeSpace 2 cup of good exciting mission and from story telling side of things it is even better as you talk with characters that actually have interesting things to say. Also i like those encyclopedia type of cutscenes presenting how world has changed and how they describe different factions.

So far only that initial 100 cell trading mission was shitty. Rest of them definetely are top notch compared to other space sim games.

In summary X:Rebirth lost that fugly X1-3 mission design and reached maturity.

I just hope end game will be the same as X3.

Score from me:
At start 5/10
Now 8/10

yep tried reloading. hmmmm

Hellers

Ah.....em.....so....how do I dock at the very first station in the game?

There's certain types of place that you can dock. Spanners, Gs and places that look like nightclubs for example. Fly up close, press A (Rather than the X it tells you) and select dock.

I've managed to make some starting funds in the free play game. Fly to the big empty zone (It's in the sector where you start). Fly off somewhere away from the station and use your long distance scanner to find containers to shoot open. There's no end of them and the stuff sells for good money. I've got better equipment on my ship now and I'm saving up for a freighter.

Shaldome

When you are close enough (around 1 km I think) at the little icon, double click on it and choose dock. Try the double click a few times. The dock option doesn't appear to me some times when I do it.

Perkel

Banned

If you are playing with PAD you click A and then Right up and release A. You need to be very close to dock point of stations. Usually docks are those with light beams around it

Twinduct

Holy shit the UI is making this hard. WHy the fuck can't I just right click on y freighter and dock. Why do I have scoot around until the small ass dock icon appears.

It's like they said 'Man I hate menus! Lets hide all of those annoying menus into dialog choices .... oh limited to 6 options? ... Well we can have sub dialog inside each dialog! And to make it seem more natural, have a 1-2 second pause between moving through those! Yeah!'.

Hellers

Leave the cockpit and then re-enter. Worked for me. Main menu, 5-5. I think. Something.

It can take quite a few goes though. Keep trying if it doesn't work. You can do the same and quicker if you have a drone by launching it and then exiting straight away.

Starviper

Excited for this game, but definitely waiting a bit.. Glad I didn't go ahead and jump the gun right away. I had a hunch that this game would need patches before being generally enjoyable -- just like every other Egosoft game.

speaking of which, i need an assassin drone, but i'm broke. Where do i get missions in this?

I found one requiring me to trade someone narcotics... but i don't have money to get narotics nor do i know where to get narcotics.

Karak

Oh shit. That makes sense(that I couldn't find it). I am doing a review and have spent maybe 45 minutes trying to find it...damn.

Clevinger

I played for 30 minutes.

I have an older machine, 4870 1gb. I turned some stuff down and it ran fine for 20 minutes, minor frame drops. Then I got into a certain station and it was a complete slideshow.

The UI needs a lot of work. Walking around stations is neat, but it's fairly shallow and it should be optional. You should be able to do all that stuff by menus from your ship. The controls are obviously designed for a controller. And while that's fine (I'm playing with one), the mouse controls should have gotten just as much attention. I'm sure they will in the future.

I don't like the space highways. Just feels like a waste of game time.

HOWEVER, despite my complaints there's a good game in there and I'm confident after some patching and performance increases it will be a lot of fun. I don't really regret buying it since barely anyone makes these kinds of games, and this developer has a good track record with supporting their products long after release. Oh, and it's beautiful. The art direction in some of those worlds is just amazing to behold.

Top Bottom