• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X Rebirth |OT| Back In The Womb With You

KPJZKC

Great, no autosaving! Not even on docking! Congrats Egosoft, nice to see you're going completely backwards. Several hours of playing lost :(

Also, new patch has made no difference to my performance :/

kafiend

Cant even finish a delivery mission at the moment that occurs about 40 minutes in :/

You and many others according to forums.

Great, no autosaving! Not even on docking! Congrats Egosoft, nice to see you're going completely backwards. Several hours of playing lost :(

F5 Quicksave. F9 Quickload.

Still a step backward though. I loved the idea of purchasing Salvage Insurance.

Edit: I had issues with F5 not working but I think it might be that another menu (that I couldn't see) was open. I had to hit escape to close my invisible menu then hit F5.

I am a newcomer to X. Game is decent so far, just played a bit. Immediate impressions:

+ Space is awesome
+ Interiors look good
+ The space highway minigame is actually pretty neat
+ Using a controller is pleasurable enough (using a DS4 currently)
+ Dogfighting is alright, cannot wait to see how bigger fights can be

- Interface text can sometimes be needlessly tiny and hard to read
- No anisotropic filtering (it is disabled/grayed-out for me for some reason)
- The character models are ugly
- Three female NPCs in a row have the same voice and the same lines
- Game feels very poorly optimized at the moment
- No autopilot or cruise control (yet?)

Also, I turned off auto roll but I do not know how to roll at all with either a controller or keyboard/mouse. It is sort of weird and I feel like being able to roll with one of the analog sticks or by moving the mouse would have felt better than strafing. So I have turned auto roll back on for the time being.

The really neat thing is that it's not actually just a "minigame." Those are all actual ships going actual places with actual purposes.

Well, at least that's what the devs say.

Given the game's current state of stability/performance, I find myself pressing F5 quite often. I lost some progress earlier when it locked up on me, but it was only about 15 minutes.

Perkel

Banned
OK i did some research on performance matter.

I have
q9300@3GHz
HD6870
4GB of ram

Problem here is polygon count and that view distance doesn't do actually anything.

I think GPUs are simply poly starved fast because they need to show a lot of things on screen.

They need to do something with view distance slider to work on everything.

Shaldome

Also, I turned off auto roll but I do not know how to roll at all with either a controller or keyboard/mouse. It is sort of weird and I feel like being able to roll with one of the analog sticks or by moving the mouse would have felt better than strafing. So I have turned auto roll back on for the time being.

Q and E are the key for rolling.

[edit]Damn I am either slow or the thread moves to fast

Dex815

Sadly this is unplayable :(

After 2 hours I can see that settings are not a problem at all, is just really bad optimized. Close to some stations I get even 4-8 fps.

GTX 770 4gb
16gb ram
PhII x4 965BE @4,8Ghz

Looks very promesing like the other X games, but the poor performance, crazy UI made for controller (even playing with controller the UI slows you for simple actions, like showing the info of a ship, you need to trigger an action to look to a screen, etc, this is cool, if you need it only once, but if you need to do this 3-5 times per minute in some cases, it gets really shitty), and also the non sense of the station interiors.

I guess I will wait for some months until is patched and modded. Sigh...

But the ambient and mainly the blade runner style police lights/radars are awesome!

You and many others according to forums.

F5 Quicksave. F9 Quickload.

Still a step backward though. I loved the idea of purchasing Salvage Insurance.

Edit: I had issues with F5 not working but I think it might be that another menu (that I couldn't see) was open. I had to hit escape to close my invisible menu then hit F5.

Yup, really disappointed in this, the game looks so damn good, but with the insane GUI decisions and the poor performace overall, I'm ready to give up for a week or so and wait for a patch, which isnt ideal as this was supposed to tide me over until the PS4 launch.

Bugger :/

kafiend

OK i did some research on performance matter.

I have
q9300@3GHz
HD6870
4GB of ram

Problem here is polygon count and that view distance doesn't do actually anything.

I think GPUs are simply poly starved fast because they need to show a lot of things on screen.

They need to do something with view distance slider to work on everything.

I haven't messed much with the gfx settings apart from to turn stuff up a little. But I seem to have pretty a good framerate in general. The only difference I can see from others posted specs is that I have 16GB of ram. I have I-5 CPU @ 4g and 660ti gfx so I would have thought I might have been a little underpowered.

Raptomex

I've always used the mouse for precise aiming in the previous game. Is a joystick the way to go here? The 360 controller works but with a game like this, keyboard commands are helpful, especially when using a joystick.

Ian

Is there an easy way to set up a joystick for flying? I only have a basic one (Mad Catz F.L.Y. 5), but I can't for the life of me work out how to configure it :-/

I'm either being really stupid, or it isn't supported :-(

Other than that, though, I'm quite enjoying it so far. My first X game, so expectations were high.

Perkel

Banned
Something is completely borked for me.

I get like 10 fps no matter the resolution or settings.

Yeah, apparently they have broken distance view setting and no matter how you change it it always shows everything sans few models.

This game needs some serious patching

edit:

This is apparent on stations where you have same FPS as outside of it.

Dex815

Yeah, apparently they have broken distance view setting and no matter how you change it it always shows everything sans few models.

This game needs some serious patching

edit:

This is apparent on stations where you have same FPS as outside of it.

In stations and ships you still can see the space areas exaclty the same as with your ship, is nice to the eye, poor for the performance.

And of course looks the game renders all the objects in a X distance around you, even if you don't have them on your view. So until the objects are not out of the bubble of view (pretty far) you have bad performance because the cities has many objects, and as the game now is centered in going fast to the action with the high speed highways, you are always in cities or surround by hundreds of objects, resulting in... an unplayable game...

I could totally see this comming when I watched this video:

http://youtu.be/DNz99IPWtJE

I don't want to be rude, but that guy seems to have no freaking clue what he's doing. He talks about the sliders for the LOD and the shadows like it is some new weird tech hard to implement... And that and just a couple of other options are the whole graphic options menu of the game...

The really neat thing is that it's not actually just a "minigame." Those are all actual ships going actual places with actual purposes.

Well, at least that's what the devs say.

I'm not so sure about this. When you get to the end of the space highways it seems like the ships you're tailing just vanish into thin air. Also the highways always seem to have way more ships in them than I ever see enter. For example I might watch a highway for a while and see 3 ships enter during that time, but as soon I enter myself it seems to get crowded with ships in there.

Maybe I'm just missing something though,

KPJZKC

Looking that way. Some optimisation (sounds buggy rather than fundamental hopefully) and a mod to improve the clothes on the co-pilot and we should be set.

Frankly I don't care what she looks like so long as she isn't staring at me all the fucking time, so creepy/distracting

abunai

Just played around for an hour, was great fun. FWIW my performance at 4.5GHz (3570k) was around 40-60fps, and with the overclock turned off (attempted cos there was a weird stutter) the performance was around 25-30fps, and the stutter remained..

epmode

My first impression is that there's definitely potential here and I'd like to play it in a few months or after an expansion.

I'm really concerned about the UI though. Aside from the ridiculous in-universe screens (IMMERSION), the UI is stupidly small at high resolutions. How does anyone release a game with a non-scalable UI in 2013? I'd imagine that Egosoft wants to use Rebirth as a base for several expansions at least so this is going to be a big problem for anyone upgrading over 1080p.

Extremely disappointing news.

I had ordered a new video card in part for this title; hopefully after several weeks it'll be ironed out some.

Guess it's fortunate that I couldn't get the coupon to work on GMG and thus didn't preorder/preload it.

TheTrain

Here some screen, amazing.

xrebirth.exe_2013-11-ahsc7.png

xrebirth.exe_2013-11-ypsx1.png

http://abload.de/img/xrebirth.exe_2013-11-yrsbo.png

http://abload.de/img/2870_2013-11-15_00008ggsrz.png

http://abload.de/img/2870_2013-11-15_0000948s2h.png

http://abload.de/img/2870_2013-11-15_000075zs0v.png

http://abload.de/img/xrebirth.exe_2013-11-20sz4.png

http://abload.de/img/xrebirth.exe_2013-11-xusqa.png

http://abload.de/img/2870_2013-11-15_00014b2so4.png

http://abload.de/img/xrebirth.exe_2013-11-u4sks.png

Sethos

Banned
damn

--------------

How is your performance Sethos ?

I am trying to figure this out. If it is GPU or CPU problem.

Fairly ass. Maxed out at 1440p I'm getting roughly 25FPS when looking at a spacestation, flying around. Looking into black space it peaks at 40.

KDR_11k

Haven't played too much yet (it crashed on saving, hope it didn't corrupt anything, I spent the rest of the evening playing Creeper World 3) but so far the performance hasn't been problematic outside of nebulas (and loads of alpha always tends to hit framerates). Core i5-3470, GTX 650 Ti, 8GB RAM. 1600x1200, no AA but I guess I'm not too sensitive to low framerates since I grew up on hand-me-down PCs and such so I might not notice the drops. The mouse control when walking around feels very laggy though, I'm getting Carrier Command flashbacks there.

The GUI is a bit tiny and hard to read and I'm not convinced that the new menu is better than the old one but as I said, haven't seen too much of the game yet.

Lots of 0 user ratings on Metacritic, I wonder what set those guys off.

KPJZKC

Fuck you X Rebirth, I'll not let you get the best of me!

Have ordered a new graphics card in the last 30 minutes, now I'll be able to figure out if I hate you because of terrible framerate and performance or if I have legitimate reasons to do so.

Well I don't get off of work for almost two hours but it doesn't seem like anyone has commented on 290x performance, so I'll be interested in seeing how this goes.

Keric

Fuck you X Rebirth, I'll not let you get the best of me!

Have ordered a new graphics card in the last 30 minutes, now I'll be able to figure out if I hate you because of terrible framerate and performance or if I have legitimate reasons to do so.

Oh man, I'm worried I'll do the same. I haven't even finished downloading yet, but I'm already shopping around. I didn't plan on upgrading from my 6950 anytime soon....oh well.

Sounds like I should wait huh? I was looking for something to play this weekend until my PS4 gets here Monday. Seems like there are a lot issues.

Atenhaus

So I pulled the trigger on this on impulse. I'm having doubts that I'll be able to run it well with a Xeon W3520 and HD 7950...

Oh man, I'm worried I'll do the same. I haven't even finished downloading yet, but I'm already shopping around. I didn't plan on upgrading from my 6950 anytime soon....oh well.

I have the same graphics card. X Rebirth runs pretty poorly, but most of that has to do with the optimization. Framerate barely changes between highest and lowest settings.

That said, the game itself is fantastic, which people seem to be ignoring. It has glitches (I haven't encountered any, but I've heard about them) and it really is poorly optimized, but it's relaxing as fuck and looks amazing. Much more accessible and fun than X3, in my opinion.

When the game clearly has all these problems how does it get approved that its ready for release? Are the devs blind?

They could have waited another 6 months and still had launch issues. It isn't perfect, but you kind of have to expect it. All the feedback will at least help them fix it quicker.

I just jumped into freeplay mode or whatever and tested with all the graphics options maxed out at 1920x1080

My FPS is between 30-40 fps.

Not bad I guess.

But I also can't select AF in the graphics options.

i7 3770k @ 4.4ghz
8GB RAM
GTX TITAN -vram usage was at about 1424mb

seldead

Doesn't run great for me. 25-30 fps at 2560x1440. For some reason there's hardly any difference when I drop to 1080p. This is with AA off, shaders on normal, and those adjustments from the Steam forum.

GTX 670 OC, i5 2500K (stock), 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1, latest drivers, etc...
Overclock dat processor dude

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea game needs some work, but I like the fact that it puts some effort into teaching you how to play. But yea, I got to a point where I couldn't get the dock menu to pop up on a station and then the game crashed.

Top Bottom