• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X Rebirth |OT| Back In The Womb With You

It seems like they tried to much. I really don't get why developers waste resources in things like being walk around the bases. Unless you're a company like Rockstar, you can't do everything. Focus on the really important aspects of the game, and don't take big chances for something that at best will only add a little immersion.

I remember the old Sea Dogs games. Heavily influenced by Pirates, it had absolutely fantastic ship battles, but horribly bad on foot segments, where the latter really killed the game.

Daedardus

I read some post in this last page of the thread, but one guys can explain what are the problem with the broken trade system?

I think the fact is that you give up before you can reach the point were everything becomes easier. If the bridge has collapsed it doesn't matter if there's a brand new highway after it.

I read some post in this last page of the thread, but one guys can explain what are the problem with the broken trade system?
A lot of people do not understand one, fundamental, passage. This ship needs upgrades to work like the "old" ship we see in X3:TC/AP.
You need to buy Gravidar, you need to buy drone for trade system, with this you can skip all docking system, and so on.
Rebirth in late game, I talk about campaign mode, is the same as X3:TC regard trade and build system, because most features are plot related.
The real problem at this point are:
- UI and text, not so clear and too small in most of case
- Lock On system
- External view for who do not like Cockpit view
- Some bug and optimization issue
Maybe I forgot something...but this isn't a broken unpatchable game, this isn't the shitty game i read in this page. Build your empire, reach the 1'000'000'000 credit and tell me is simple lol
Oh, sorry for my bad english.

I think the listed deficits in this thread are compounded by the scrappy performance and ropey and chore-like superfluousness of the station sections. I don't think it's a fundamentally broken game, but it's been delivered in a bit of a bodgey state.

For the record, I get a decent frame rate and think its one of the most visually spectacular titles I've seen in a while.

I have only played about 5-10 minutes due to time constraints so hearing all this negative feedback is a tad bit depressing.

This was the first PC game I had gotten at launch in years... poor PC hamster race.

wsippel

Banned
Now I'm sad :( So patches won't make this any better?
There's a lot of irrational hate and hyperbole going on right now. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the game, it's just buggy (even more so than anticipated) and a lot of things are missing. The foundation is solid. I'm confident Egosoft will fix the bugs, and either they or the modding community will add the missing features over time.

Really, if Egosoft released the game as public beta, I'm sure the reactions would have been very different.

There's a lot of irrational hate and hyperbole going on right now. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the game, it's just buggy (even more so than anticipated) and a lot of things are missing. The foundation is solid. I'm confident Egosoft will fix the bugs, and either they or the modding community will add the missing features over time.

Really, if Egosoft released the game as public beta, I'm sure the reactions would have been very different.

While I tend to agree, it's a bit of a hard ask for people to fork out premium pricing and get what would otherwise be a cheaper alpha/beta buy-in. There's no doubt in my mind we'll get the overhauls this game deserves, and then some thanks to the modding community, but will people stick around?

I guess they will, given the limited drip-feed of games in this genre and theme.

Perkel

Banned
A lot of people do not understand one, fundamental, passage. This ship needs upgrades to work like the "old" ship we see in X3:TC/AP.

Hou do you know that ?

There isn't anyone that got to end game.

----------------
----------------

Ehh we know why Trading system is broken. Apparently it is connected to amount of units you want to sell or buy and only way you can clear that error is to manually errase lines from save.

Ego said they will add option to cancel trade missions...

That is it. I am going back to TC with XTC mod.
This game needs at least two three patches until it will be playable. I can't imaging running empire with this trade bug. I will just wait.

Hellers

Right guys. Here's my n00b guide to getting the most out of X-Rebirth. First if you're currently in game exit to the main menu and then back out again to Windows. Then go into Steam and install X3-Terran Conflict followed by Albion Prelude. Launch Albion Prelude and play this n00b guide until you start buying and selling energy cells.

http://doghouseblog.wordpress.com/2...ble-merchant-starting-guide-ultimate-edition/

THAT'S THE GAME I WAS EXPECTING TO PLAY DAMMIT :)

So I'm playing Albion Prelude for now. Who's with me?

Perkel

Banned
So I'm playing Albion Prelude for now. Who's with me?

AP is poor man X3 TC with X-tended mod.

Get X3 TC get that mod (2.2) and enjoy playing empire.

----------------
----------------

As someone mentioned they should release it in early access to squash bugs first.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I just bought X3TC and AP to play while waiting for this game to get patched. I had no idea on what I was doing. I did some patrol mission and it took forever to get to the right sector.

Perkel

Banned
I just bought X3TC and AP to play while waiting for this game to get patched. I had no idea on what I was doing. I did some patrol mission and it took forever to get to the right sector.

Starting is hardest part in those games since you know nothing. Imo you should start with Humble Merchant as it gives you trading ship go to solar power station buy energy cells for 12-14 and go to other stations and sell them for 16-19

Perkel

Banned
Is the universe really only 5 sectors * 8 planets big? (iirc from that youtube review)

No. There are jump gates that take you to other parts of galaxy.

OK fuck this shit i am starting again this time in Free Mode. I won't bother with main campaign until it will be patched.

epmode

Speaking of that possibly-a-failed-console-port thing, this recent interview is interesting: http://www.incgamers.com/2013/11/x-rebirth-qa-director-bernd-lehahn

Actually, X Rebirth shares the same back-story as the prior X games. When we originally began development for X Rebirth, it was not our intention for the game to share the same fictional universe. However, we were very quick to conclude that the back-story that had developed through the prior X games was too great an asset to just give up.

This is probably the closest we'll get to an actual admission over the next year or two.

fanboi

Banned
So I installed this on my i5 760 (2.8 gHz) 4 GB RAM, GTX570

Result:

593.gif

Ogimachi

I just jumped into freeplay mode or whatever and tested with all the graphics options maxed out at 1920x1080

My FPS is between 30-40 fps.

Not bad I guess.

But I also can't select AF in the graphics options.

i7 3770k @ 4.4ghz
8GB RAM
GTX TITAN -vram usage was at about 1424mb
Same specs here, 34fps average. I guess I'll wait a few patches.

Is it true there are only like 20 systems?

I expected this to be bad at launch because of the scope but it sounds like there are some really fundamental issues with this game. Everything I hear seems like a complete departure from the series even from some of the things that worked in X3.

wsippel

Banned
OK, so the trading system is complete ass. And the weird thing is: The foundation is evidently there. Transport ships have a competent autopilot, and the trade menu can show you prices and requests from multiple zones. But you can't automate anything, and the stupid thing will only show you prices from other zones and allow you to issue commands for that zone if either your own ship or the transport ship is in said zone as far as I can tell. And you can't order ships to fly to a different zone, either - you can only order them to follow you. I don't even need an autotrader script (for now), but I want the ability to set fixed trade routes with buy and sell thresholds at least. And the tech is already there. Why the fuck did Egosoft leave this essential feature out!?

Well, at least this should be something easy to mod in I guess...

dalin80

Banned
Is it true there are only like 20 systems?

I expected this to be bad at launch because of the scope but it sounds like there are some really fundamental issues with this game. Everything I hear seems like a complete departure from the series even from some of the things that worked in X3.

15 I think but to be fair most of X's sectors were very small* and empty, Rebirths are much larger and busier.

*They didn't actually have a physical size limit you could fly off for pretty much forever but most were limited to a few smaller stations between the gates.

CTLance

Ok, after some consideration I will hold off on this. My CE will be going back to Amazon for now. What a shame.

Suddenly I'm not so sad about going with the physical release now. Heh. Maybe the postal worker that effed up my package delivery really was looking out for me.

Hopefully this is one of those games that gets much, much better with MODs and patches later on. Right now it just seems like a ton of ideas were thrown into a bowl together without figuring out what you were making to begin with. Just tastes odd.

That and my poor 6770 is getting maybe 15-20fps @ 1080p lol.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I just want to trade my way from a crappy Millennium Falcon to owning my own fleet of capital world breakers, whilst fending off pirates and overtaking competitors in the marketplace in an open ended galaxy full of aliens, crazy locales and breathtaking scenery.

Is that too much to ask?!?

banjoted

Was really interested in this game but all the feedback here coupled with the £39.99 price on Steam has scuppered that, for now at least.

So here's my question:

I've got Reunion, Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude in my Steam library. Picked them up in a sale some time back. As a complete virgin the the series, and only a recent gaming PC convert after a lifetime of console gaming, if I were to try one which would I have the most success with?

(I note my console roots as I fear anything too impenetrable will test my partience).

KKRT00

Was really interested in this game but all the feedback here coupled with the £39.99 price on Steam has scuppered that, for now at least.

So here's my question:

I've got Reunion, Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude in my Steam library. Picked them up in a sale some time back. As a complete virgin the the series, and only a recent gaming PC convert after a lifetime of console gaming, if I were to try one which would I have the most success with?

(I note my console roots as I fear anything too impenetrable will test my partience).

Try Albion Prelude, but You probably wont like the series. This is really hardcore PC game, its like Europe Universalis etc, You need really be into it, to like it.

wsippel

Banned
Oh for fucks sake, I just noticed that the game even has a long range autopilot! But it doesn't work as anybody would expect. You can order a capital ship to fly anywhere, but it won't execute the command unless you dock to said ship afterwards. That's the most asinine thing I've seen so far. And to add insult to irony, you can issue that order to ships that don't even have a dock.

Hellers

Try Albion Prelude, but You probably wont like the series. This is really hardcore PC game, its like Europe Universalis etc, You need really be into it, to like it.

I've been following a really nice video tutorial for Terran Conflict and I'm loving it so far. The game systems at a basic trading level make loads of sense.

pants

Reading this thread, I'm led to the understanding that this game is trash. You will not believe how much this paints me :(

KPJZKC

I don't think you should assume he won't like it :p

Once you get over the learning curve, the X3 (and expacs) isn't that complicated - until you start dealing with complexes, then you'll need to hit the forums and read up on it. The trade system is actually relatively simple, buy low, sell high - if a factory doesn't have easy access to it's required materials, the end product won't be produced (or won't be produced as quickly) and prices will go up.

Compared to whatever is going on in Rebirth, it's super easy. No fucking clue what is happening in the trading system here, and I still haven't seen for myself that the systems/zones/whatever are actually even interacting with each other because of this fucking highway system.

I would also recommend TC with a video tutorial over AP, plus TC has a huge amount of mods that can improve your experience (not that AP doesn't, of course, there are just more in TC)

Starviper

I've been following a really nice video tutorial for Terran Conflict and I'm loving it so far. The game systems at a basic trading level make loads of sense.

Go with Terran Conflict and the Xtended Mod like others have said. Probably the best combination out there for X series games so far. I was excited for this but goddamn Egosoft, learn how a beta works.

KPJZKC

Go with Terran Conflict and the Xtended Mod like others have said. Probably the best combination out there for X series games so far. I was excited for this but goddamn Egosoft, learn how a beta works.

I would be careful with recommending the Xtended mod, I found that in many ways it makes the game more complicated than vanilla (removal of repair laser, for example). Also, for a complete beginner, the slow gate unlocking/universe expansion could give a really bad impression.

Hellers

I haven't been playing long but will I be able to use my save game with the Xtended mod?

*Edit* Ah I see not. No matter. I'd only just gotten started

Quantum

Certainly this game needs more work.

I miss the autopilot, I miss understanding exactly how to get from point A -> B

but, I'm really liking the space travel

graphically I am loving the different areas - after following and playing all of the previous games I am a little disappointed that it didn't fit back into the comfortable mold.

that being said, I am really enjoying the story (the overall arc)

I think the human models and the conversation systems are trash and want the spread sheet style back - or at least if you are going to use such low quality human models vary them a little.

The game runs pretty well on my system with only a 7850 (playing at 2560 x 1600 on a u3011) i7, 16gb ram, ssd raid 0 (custom build).

overall this feels like the new release of an X game. I'm lost in the story line, lost in space, love the visuals and can't wait to continue playing. I've only put about 10 hours in to this game so far but am actually very happy playing and can't wait to see what both egosoft and the modding community can do with it.

(every X release has come with a huge learning curve. I think I played the first time for over 40 hours before I figured out the jumpdrive. Every release has come with a broken storyline and has been follow with strong support from both egosoft and the community - I expect no less from this game, I don't know what everyone expected)

KPJZKC

Also, another quick post, if you're playing XTC X-tended, and large gangs of pirates start appearing to hunt you down that are considerably stronger than you, and no police or security fight them at all, even when they're attacking you, that's x-tended, not XTC :p

Hellers

Also, another quick post, if you're playing XTC X-tended, and large gangs of pirates start appearing to hunt you down that are considerably stronger than you, and no police or security fight them at all, even when they're attacking you, that's x-tended, not XTC :p

I DON'T WANNA DIE.

Seriously though what do I do to avoid being pirate target practice? :)

KPJZKC

I DON'T WANNA DIE.

Seriously though what do I do to avoid being pirate target practice? :)

To be honest I have no idea :D

For all I know it could be a bug specific to my install, but it has happened on clean installs I've done too, so maybe somebody else can shine some light on it. They just might not like you killing them on patrol missions very much :p

Perkel

Banned
Oh for fucks sake, I just noticed that the game even has a long range autopilot! But it doesn't work as anybody would expect. You can order a capital ship to fly anywhere, but it won't execute the command unless you dock to said ship afterwards. That's the most asinine thing I've seen so far. And to add insult to irony, you can issue that order to ships that don't even have a dock.

Yeah i noticed that too.

UI needs major rework. They wanted to simplify things but in the end they created UI even more harder to understand.

I mean in X3 i can go to Property menu > select ship > autopilot > and then i have literaly simple choices like Combat, Navigation, trade etc. I can do everything with my ship. I can even order things like collect wares in sector.

In Rebirth it is A > Info > Property > ship > and whatever shit this is. And i can issue only like come to me comand where trade is in completely different place.

And that is compared to split second clear readable menu instead of slugish, radial unreadable menu.

They need to rework UI

epmode

More fuel for the console port argument:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=349638&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Do not believe their lies. Xbox360 markers in the shaders file.

8H5fsDy.png

None of those Xbox references were in the config files of earlier X games.

A job opportunity page on the Egosoft site (which hasn't been updated in a while): http://www.egosoft.com/company/jobs_en.php

Console graphics experience for work on PS3 / Xbox360

I'll also repost this since no one seems to have noticed it: http://www.incgamers.com/2013/11/x-rebirth-qa-director-bernd-lehahn

Actually, X Rebirth shares the same back-story as the prior X games. When we originally began development for X Rebirth, it was not our intention for the game to share the same fictional universe. However, we were very quick to conclude that the back-story that had developed through the prior X games was too great an asset to just give up.

Perkel

Banned

??? Never happened to me. I even choose now Hard setting for more spawns because in core regions there is simply to calm.

KPJZKC

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=349638&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

A job opportunity page on the Egosoft site (which hasn't been updated in a while): http://www.egosoft.com/company/jobs_en.php

I'll also repost this since no one seems to have noticed it: http://www.incgamers.com/2013/11/x-rebirth-qa-director-bernd-lehahn

Well this explains the feature-stripped piece of trash we got alright :(

Also, I don't care what people say about the universe being more alive, it really, really doesn't seem that way to me - having a handful of large ships doing their own thing and loads of little ships basically queueing up to dock does not make it more alive to me, it feels like most of the ships in the game do absolutely nothing :p

edit - hahahaha, files searched for "xbox" yields

WNezhAw.png

??? Never happened to me. I even choose now Hard setting for more spawns because in core regions there is simply to calm.

It's very very strange, and I'm pretty sure it's not intended - I can dock at a station and they won't actually leave, they'll fly around, but won't do anything else, just waiting for me to undock to murder me :(

So, they are destroyng a nice PC game so console gamers can play it too.

Nice... maybe I should drop my support for their games.

Perkel

Banned

Fuel ? that is straight up proof.

I just hope they didn't fuck up something fundamental and they will quickly release patches fixing UI and creating more options.

There are solid foundations like stations and ship design. What needs rework is trading gameplay with ui and ship management. That is not a lot compared for example to creating whole new feature like current stations.

To me it looks imo that they planned Rebirth as X360 game early in production but later they noticed they won't be able to deliver game with good performance and they moved it to PC reworking graphics and few features, leaving UI almost untouched.

Top Bottom